• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

$50 charge so I can view my photo proofs? (his response to my questions)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $50 charge so I can view my photo proofs? (his response to my questions)

Can't say I've ever had to do that before! Photos taken at a show where I *think* they tooks photos of every horse (?), and pretty sure there was no sign up fee (at least not that I was ever charged, unless one of those *surprise* hidden tacked on charges.

I am just a little surprised. But maybe this is because there was no sign up and sign up fee?

ETA: So when I asked: How many jumping photos of my horse do you have, and how many photos in total, the response was:

"No idea. We don't archive anything by horse or rider name. I will have to find them manually after getting a description and class list from you. That's where the fee (which can be applied to any purchase) comes in."
    Last edited by Dutch Lovin' Dressage Rider; May. 10, 2012, 01:23 AM.

Originally posted by Dutch Lovin' Dressage Rider View Post
    Can't say I've ever had to do that before! Photos taken at a show where I *think* they tooks photos of every horse (?), and pretty sure there was no sign up fee (at least not that I was ever charged, unless one of those *surprise* hidden tacked on charges.

I am just a little surprised. But maybe this is because there was no sign up and sign up fee?

As an ammy photographer, I can only speak from my own experiences. So many people will copy their photo off a pro website and keep/post it, watermark and all, and not pay for the photo. When I had my own site, I had things set up so that if someone attempted that, a "You are stealing!" showed up when they right clicked on the picture.
    It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

Comment

Originally posted by kathy s. View Post
      As an ammy photographer, I can only speak from my own experiences. So many people will copy their photo off a pro website and keep/post it, watermark and all, and not pay for the photo. When I had my own site, I had things set up so that if someone attempted that, a "You are stealing!" showed up when they right clicked on the picture.
      This.

Sadly, the honest who want to purchase photos from the proof must pay the price for those who took free proofs and never ordered.
      Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
      RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
      RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
      RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Comment

Is it applicable to your purchase? What happens if you decide you'd rather not purchase anything?
        "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

How can you decide to purchase if you can't view without paying? If you don't like the pictures, you still pay $50 for something you did not ask in the first place? Wow, way to get business!! not

Comment

Originally posted by FalseImpression View Post
            How can you decide to purchase if you can't view without paying? If you don't like the pictures, you still pay $50 for something you did not ask in the first place? Wow, way to get business!! not
            Count me in as another who would be completely turned off by that. The best photos I have come from a local pro (nationally published) who came out for a photo session. Best show photos, though have come from Dh.

Comment

at the rate DSLRs are flying off shelves, and people are thieving proofs and not buying copies, 'Pro' photographers are going to be out of business regardless of charging a fee to view proofs in order to be not so starving an artist anyway.

We used to get physical proofs mailed to us after shows from the show photog, but they had a big ol PROOF stamp on them, and holes punched in them. I personally wouldn't pay to view proofs, but I can understand the frustration and desperation that would drive a pro to ask me to.
              Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
              RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
              RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
              RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Comment

And I 've always been thrilled to pay Dusty for her fabulous work. She's also come to my place to shoot the dogs. But I pay after I see the images.

But yes, patience and a good DSLR makes it more feasible for friends and family to produce "acceptable " images

Comment

Total BS. It's not the fault of the subjects of the photographs that the photographers get ripped off - so why are they paying?

If photographers are so touchy about putting things out on line, go back to sending out proofs. Yeah, it's slower and more expensive for the photog, but their work is protected and they won't p!$$ off their honest customers.

And, just me, but I always was excited to get proofs in the mail after a show. But I'm geeky like that.
                  In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                  A life lived by example, done too soon.
                  www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

"Acceptable" is not good quality.

If people keep stealing from the pros, then all you will ever have is "acceptable."

Very sad.
                    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Comment

Maybe it's different in other disciplines where there are more competitors in a given day, but in all my years being involved with dressage (I've groomed regularly for friends while not competing a ton myself) I've only only been at one show other than the Region 8 Fall Championship with a pro photographer. If we wanted mementos, then our friends and families needed to get the images. I use the word "acceptable" because I wouldn't insult the pros by comparing my work or that of other amateurs to theirs. When my friend finished her bronze, it was a photo that I took which appeared in the USDF Connection as she had no pro photos from an extensive competition season--not that she didn't/wouldn't have bought any, no pros were at any of them.

The price of decent quality cameras has dropped. You don't have to pay for film developing. I think these cameras are more forgiving than what the amateur had to work with a decade or two ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonesta View Post
                        "Acceptable" is not good quality.

If people keep stealing from the pros, then all you will ever have is "acceptable."

Very sad.
                        And if photographers keep stealing $50 from their good customers, they won't have a business to worry about. Easy peasy.

Comment

It's not the fault of the subjects of the photographs that the photographers get ripped off - so why are they paying?
                          Actually, it IS the fault of consumers - many of whom are the subjects of the photos. As someone who also photographs corporate events and has done some weddings, it's been extremely rare that folks would steal my work. In the equine industry, I'm pretty surprised by how many people have lifted proofs posted on their facebook pages.

Mind you - I'm not a fan of this business model, and unless I knew the pro's work I would be pretty unlikely to pay it unless it was either refundable if they didn't get anything good or applicable to purchase. But I do understand why some photographers are going down this road.
                          ---
                          They're small hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by ESG View Post
                            And if photographers keep stealing $50 from their good customers, they won't have a business to worry about. Easy peasy.
                            So, it's okay for people to steal from the photographers, but if a photographer wants to fight back by charging to see proofs, he/she is stealing from the client????

I don't see that at all. And I suspect any and all photogs that charge such a fee applies it to any photos the customer buys.
                            Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Comment

Think of it as being charged to try on clothes at Macy's. There's the potential for them being stolen, too, but no one wants to make you pay for the privilege of making sure they fit before you buy. Same thing. Looking is always free. Or it used to be, anyway.

And you suspect that the photographers will be honest enough to apply a viewing fee to a purchase? What if they don't? It would seem plausible that anyone avaricious enough to charge people for looking at their work wouldn't shudder at the thought of screwing a customer actually purchasing their wares for an extra $50.

As I said before, there's a really easy way to not get screwed like this; mail out paper proofs via snail mail like they used to. Nobody can copy (any more than they could before), the photogs get paid, people don't have to pay to look at their proofs - everyone wins.

Comment

Why not use....

Something like Photoshop and make online proofs mixed B/W and color. In a way to make them look freaky.. You could also watermark them and offer rewards for turning in theft and then the website might even name names of people caught.
                                " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers. Wood Routed Stall and Farm Signs
                                http://www.bluemooncustomsigns.com

Comment

• Original Poster

So when I asked: How many jumping photos of my horse do you have, and how many photos in total, the response was:

"No idea. We don't archive anything by horse or rider name. I will have to find them manually after getting a description and class list from you. That's where the fee (which can be applied to any purchase) comes in."

WOW. Sounds like a real pro to me!

Next question I'll be asking: "What are your prices?"

(hopefully not $100 per pic)

FYI: I paid $150 for a private photo shoot of another horse while at the show already, where only TWO where any good. None of them where really impressive. Trainers disappointed with ittysh pics. Me too for $150.

Comment

i think it's not too unreasonable to charge to view the proofs IF HE TOLD YOU HOW MANY he had of your horse, and if i knew they took quality shots.

some shows they've had 2 crappy shots, others several dozen. i certainly would expect a more professional reply, and an idea of how many there were before paying.

Comment

Uh, no, I wouldn't pay for something I haven't seen.

And it's not hard to offer watermarked thumbnails so a person could at least see what the photos are like. IMO, if someone's satisfied with a teeny thumbnail, they weren't going to buy anything in the first place.
                                      LEGADO DE RIOS

Comment

Good grief! What show was this at? I'll make sure not to attend if it's in my area!

I've several friends who are pro photogs-none of them charge for viewing of proofs. They all use a combination of low resolution/small size/watermarks etc for their proof pages (all on websites with some degree of organization like Susie's photography business>horse shows>year>show name>date>Session (am/noon/pm/eve) and sometimes *gasp* there's a >candids session for the day too!)

My friends are pretty much universal in their belief that posting the low-res. watermarked proofs online is much more cost-effective (especially when one factors in time/labor) than printing and mailing and keeping track of the old style proofs, even with the odd image thief.

In fact, many of them will even offer you images on a DVD/CD ready to use online-low res etc so protected from copiers somewhat (doesn't provide a good quality image to print) but good enough for one's webpage/dreamhorse etc.

ETA: Wow, my apologies-my insomnia is getting the best of me and making me drone on. I'm putting the laptop away now and getting a book out lol! Sorry!
                                        Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
                                        Sam: A job? Does it pay?
                                        Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
                                        Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Comment

Working...
                                        X