• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What Do You Do With a Drunken Boarder?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Do With a Drunken Boarder?

To start things off, I have a friend (who is not me talking about myself in third person) who is the owner of a small local boarding barn.

The atmosphere there is very casual and non-competitive, the boarders often go on camping/riding trips together, and it's generally extremely low-drama. People helped out with things like unloading hay when it came in, or helping with sick or injured horses, or making sure that everyone who wanted to go on a camping trip had a "ride" for their horse. They have parties during the year, with a live band and dancing, games, etc. Nothing fancy or posh, just fun gatherings for the "barn family."

One of the boarders there has been a good friend of mine for about seven years, and I often called him my "barn dad." Mid-sixties, retired, and divorced; he just likes to go out and ride, have a few beers, and talk. He used to be a lot of fun.

There was never any question that he liked his beer, but in the past year he has taken to just sitting on the porch all day, drinking one beer after another, and just getting drunk. And loud. And rude, and obnoxious. . .swearing like a sailor, making nasty remarks to other boarders and to barn staff, and generally unpleasant to be around.

More recently, he has said and done some things to me personally that have pretty much burned that bridge to nothing. I'm no exception - he has burned just about every bridge he had, including his friendship with the BO. The BO has already gone above and beyond to help him through some tough times in the past, and he has been nothing less than a complete jackass to her.

The atmosphere of the barn has changed, because no one wants to be around him. People used to stick around after a ride, sit on the porch and shoot the breeze and enjoy each other's company. Now they just get their horse settled in after a ride and go home when he's there. And he's always there.

With warmer weather here, and kids' camps and programs planned through the summer months, the BO does not want this guy around. He's bad for business.

She has never had to evict anyone based on their behavior. Her contract requires boarders to give her a month's notice if they are leaving, but I don't know if there is anything in the agreement stating that she is required to give THEM notice to have their horse and belongings off the property.

Is this something generally done by letter, or phone call, or both? Would the BO be required to go into detail about the reasons why she is telling him to go? Just wondering what she would need to do to cover herself in case he decided to come back and make trouble.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Great. Now I have the song stuck in my head:

What do you do with a drunken boarder?
    What do you do with a drunken board?
    Early in the morning. . .

Put him in a boat with the cap'n's daughter. . .

Sorry, OP, not helpful at all, but you even mentioned "sailor" in your post

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

Comment

What do you do with a Drunken Boarder, what do you do with a Drunken Boarder,
      What do you do with a Drunken Boarder, earl-y in the morning?

Make 'em clean stalls until they're sober, make 'em clean stalls until they're sober, make 'em clean stalls until they're sober,
      ear-ly in the morning!

That doesn't help you even a little bit, but I just had to.
      I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

Kick the boarder out. Give notice and get rid of boarder.

I had the other problem: 2 of the BOs I boarded C&C with were alcoholics. And one of those was certifiably crazy as well. A 3rd BO (she leased one barn on someone else's property) drank every day at the barn, but didn't get drunk as far as I could see. The owner of that barn drank every day as well.

Give notice in writing or by email. Easier to prove if you send a letter certified, return receipt requested. Then you get the green card showing she's been served. For most reasons, BO needs to give a 30 day notice, from time board is due. However, I think being drunk at the barn should constitute a breach of the boarding contract, assuming BO and BM aren't drinking at the barn too, and so the boarder could be told to leave instanter. I'd at least tell her in front of witnesses not to drink at barn or come to barn within X hours after drinking.

I worked with a lot of alcoholics over the years: Judges, district attorneys and law enforcement. It was not 1/2 as bad as having drunken BOs.

Comment

I don't understand why this is even a question!

Of course the BO should evict him. Of course it should be as clear cut and obvious as possible. Why not send a certified letter, in addition to having a face to face conversation preferably early in the day. Of course she should have a plan for making sure the move actually happens.

She needs to know what her boundaries are, and enforce them!
          https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
          Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
          www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

Originally posted by SMF11 View Post
            I don't understand why this is even a question!

Of course the BO should evict him. Of course it should be as clear cut and obvious as possible. Why not send a certified letter, in addition to having a face to face conversation preferably early in the day. Of course she should have a plan for making sure the move actually happens.

She needs to know what her boundaries are, and enforce them!
            ^^^this^^^^

Maybe it is just my "dragonlady" reputation talking, but the first time drunk at MY barn would have been the last time. There is a barn down the road from me full of people i have run out of here for less.

Alcohol & horses (and summer camp kids) DO NOT MIX!

This is HER reputation on the line - not his! Everyone already knows who he is, but who is she? And what does SHE stand for?
            "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Comment

The barn owner has the duty to deal with this problem. And it IS a problem.

The first step is to follow the terms of the contract (oral or written) on ending the boarding relationship.

If he refuses to leave then she'll have to call her lawyer to see what state law permits.

If the behavior is an issue then it may be Public Intoxication under the laws of the state. In TN a conviction for PI can be supported by evidence of the smell of alcohol plus some sort of disruptive behavior. No Breathalzyer is required (but some places do it anyway).

Another alternative is Criminal Tresspass if the drunk comes back.

Criminal action does not require hiring a lawyer; it does require compliance with state law (particularly actions by the owner to lay the foundation for Criminal Tresspass) and a call to the sheriff.

Part of my regular spiel with alcohol violations includes the observation that, "you control the booze or the booze controls you; there is no middle ground." Just about 50 years of education and experience with drunks has lead me to this conclusion.

The barn owner has to take the action. Perhaps it's time for a "group gathering" to make feelings known.

G.
              Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

When this drunk boarder leaves the barn, are they driving? A well placed officer may be in order.

If asked why they are being asked to leave I wouldn't beat around the bush, I would tell them. Bluntly. I have nothing against a drink when the day is done and the horses are tucked in but there is certainly lines that shouldn't be crossed in public.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Mare View Post

Eileen
                  Weigh heigh and up she rises
                  Early in the morning

Comment

Sounds like this guy's personality has changed in step with the drinking. That may be a symptom of the drinking. Or, the drinking and the personality change may be symptoms of a medical problem, like a series of mini -strokes or early onset of dementia. Either way, it's inappropriate behavior that the BO needs to address. But a medical workup would be a good idea if someone could convince him to go.

Disclaimer : I have no medical training at all. The above is based on personal experience and may be completely irrelevant to the situation at hand.

Comment

Put him in the scuppers with the hose pipe on him.
                      Early in the morning.

More seriously -he really has to go doesn't he? Maybe it will wake him up.

Paula
                      He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

Next time he gets loaded, then the barn owner or anyone close should call the police, tell them the license number and where he's driving from and the direction he turned. Stopping someone from drinking isn't going to happen, but allowing someone to endanger everyone on the roads is morally unacceptible. And who is furnishing the beer? If it's not the drinker furnishing his own then someone could be liable for that too. If this man is driving after drinking then the police need to be called, before some carload of little kids dies. And the BO needs to grow a pair, and get rid of him as soon as possible or they'll be sued to when he drives off their property and hurts or kills someone.
                        You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Kick him out, Kick him out, Wayyyyyyyyyy out! Seriously though, document his behavior on video. BO can then go to him, ask him to leave in 24-48 hours, have witnesses. Make sure he is supervised at all times while gathering his belongings. Deal with the fall out, if any, later.
                          When people show you who they truly are, believe them. Maya Angelou

Comment

• Original Poster

I just wanted to thank everyone for the replies. . .and apologize to those of you who will spend the rest of the day with that jig stuck in yer noggin.
                            Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Comment

Eileen
                              Thanks heaps, i was only having ONE line running through my head.......not sure how the day is gonna go with a whole verse....

OP, everything should be done on paper to make sure the owner has a hard copy record if things get nasty.
                              Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

How about new barn rules: No drinking on property. Shouldn't be a problem for other boarders since they aren't hanging out any more. Can state reason
                                upcoming childrens' camps or new insurance rules. Maybe that will get him to move on his own, after he leaves, rule goes bye-bye.

Comment

Eileen

ROTFLOL!!!!!! Me toooo! And I figured that I'd be the only one thinking of that song!! (My dad's VERY fond of WWII-era music.)

...Put 'em in the scrupper with the stove-pipe on him (translation: pour warm water over him),
                                  Put 'em in the scrupper with the stove-pipe on him,
                                  Put 'em in the scrupper with the stove-pipe on him,
                                  Er-LIE in the mor-NING.

Shave his belly with a rusty razor,
                                  Er-LIE in the mor-NING.

Yep, gonna be hard to get rid of that ear-worm.
                                  Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Home Decor, Custom Gifts, ETC:
                                  WoofNWhinny*GIFT IDEAS for Horse Lovers!
                                  NEW:
                                  Fabric, Shoes, & Nail Art
                                  Personalized Gifts for Adults, Kids & Babies

Comment

Originally posted by c'est moi View Post
                                    Early in the morning
                                    Put 'em in the sloppy-wet arena and make 'em drink it
                                    put 'em in the sloppy-wet arena and make 'em drink it
                                    put 'em in the sloppy-wet arena and make 'em drink it
                                    ear-ly in the mor-ning

Weigh-heigh up she rises
                                    Weigh-heigh up she rises
                                    weigh-heigh up she rises
                                    ear-ly in the mor-ning
                                    Last edited by skippy60; May. 5, 2012, 01:54 PM. Reason: horse-ified

Comment

If it were funny/ridiculous behavior my answer would be:
                                      Get it on video and put it on youtube
                                      get it on video and put it on youtube
                                      get it on video and put it on youtube
                                      for every one to laugh at.

BUT, since it's truly problematic, I can share what I did when I had to evict my boarder.

Phone call, and email saying basically that I was terminating our contract and they had 30days to find other arrangements for their horses.

If that had not been enough, she would have received a certified letter with return receipt.
                                      Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
                                      RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
                                      RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
                                      RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Comment

Why can't the BO just ban alchohol on barn property? Evict him if he violates the ban.

Comment

Working...
                                        X