• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

TBs in Arizona Feedlot--Rescued!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more thing....I just read this after googling Warren Thoroughbreds in California.
    In an artile dated 08/10/07 in the LA times following the death at age 85 of the elder Warren brother:
    A little more than a year ago, Stute Warren & his brother were co-recipients of an annual award "given to those who have served the sport with integrity, extra ordinary dedication, determination & distinction".
    Now which part would the trashing of your own horses fall under? The integrity or dedication part????
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, Warren's do still have 800 horses, even after this cull. Maybe that's how they got the award.

The California anti-horse slaughter law is a joke. You give 46 horses to someone in Riverside (still in California) and they end up in a slaughter feedlot in Arizona. You've CYA as far as the law is now administered; but not done anything productive to place your rejects.

If anyone is in California, you might contact the DA in Hemet and ask for an investigation into how so many CA horses ended up unprotected in Arizona. Maybe Warren's feet can be held to the fire.

Deaths always change operations, and maybe the dead brother was the only one with a heart.
      "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
      Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Ohhh man, somebody NEEDS to grab Kris Kross!!!
        "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

Viney: If I'm reading the ABR forum thread right - PLEEEEEEEEEASE correct me if I'm wrong - the only horse Tranquility is at present trying to save/accepting donations for is Seattle Bound??

I'd be willing to kick in a little bit if we decide to start a fund.

Kris Kross NEEDS to be gotten out of there. He's a son of Kris S., and that's a pedigree the WHOLE TB INDUSTRY - both racing and sport - needs to preserve. They're noted for longevity and soundness, which, last time I checked, would be No Bad Thing for the breed!

Any mares w/ Kris S. that close up probably need to be saved too.

My feed store closes shortly so I've gotta leave but will check the thread later in hopes something good is happening!
          "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

I quickly scanned through but am confused. Where best to send bail money?
            www.specialhorses.org
            a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

Admirable..but

Guys you can not save them all. For all of these that you "know" about - there are so many more. The changes need to come from the top - the BIG breeders need to change. And they won't as long as there is someone - like you - to bail them out.

The PMU farms stood/hid behind "marketable bi-product" because people bought the "bi-product" to try and "save" them.

You all are doing the same here. Which perpetuates the problem. There should be no easy out for irresponsible breeders!!!

I say do not bail.

Flame suit donned
              "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Comment

if i was closer...i'd take one. we actually have a stall open right now. I looked up Warrens and they have a name out there. Has anyone tracked them down and questioned just what the H*ll they were thinking and their reasoning behind such actions.

This is rediculous. Anyone try and track down the original breeders of these guys and gals? Im sure someone would take them in. Id cross post this in the other areas of this board. lets try and get everyones attention

Comment

• Original Poster

Kris Kross has the lines to be an excellent sport horse stallion as well.
                  "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                  Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Hmm how about contacting the rich guy at Suffolk Downs that loves horses so much he started the no tolerance policy on sending race horses to slaughter?

He may pitch in to help out just a thought.
                    Ms Robin
                    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
                    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

Comment

did anyone contact Old Friends in KY to see if they can do anything?

Comment

Oh it makes me sick to my stomach There are just too many horses and not enough responsible owners to go around... ARGH!!!!

I emailed Priscilla... I'm far away, and I don't know if I can do anything to help, but it's worth a shot...
                        -Jessica

Comment

Out of interest,

If these are well known horses then how comes they're being run through an auction for meat???

Who are their owners?? Why don't they care about their reputation, business and public image??? Or is disposing of "waste horses" in this way considered acceptable there???

Comment

If I was closer I could take a couple of them. This just sucks. What is wrong with people. These horses do not deserve this.
                            I would like to know who owns them too.
                            Ms Robin

Comment

What a shame! I can not imagine all this to happen...

There are times when I wish to be closer your end - we are looking for one more horse to add and TB mare would be perfect... But the shipping costs Out of the question... So sad! Why I'm not a rich girl??? GRRRRR!
                              Last edited by AnnaCrew; Aug. 2, 2008, 05:55 PM.
                              ** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB*** member

Comment

Thomas, the only thing the least unusal about this is the numbers from a single farm. Usually, they send them off in smaller groups.

Somehow, some breeders see nothing wrong with sending the "excess" off to slaughter--nevermind that THEY create that excess in the first place. Sickening.

Blueshadow is right on with her comment that exposure is our only weapon. I'd like to see rotten fruit thrown at these sort of breeders at the race tracks whenever they show their rotten faces.
                                Last edited by I'm EBO; Aug. 2, 2008, 06:07 PM.
                                Barbaro Cultist, Metabolic Nazi

Comment

He breeds so many that are ot racehorses in bigger venues, but you'd think other spots would suit! I hate the killers but understand that there is a huge excess these days. We have give aways we can't give away. Tough market for unmarketable horses these days. We DON'T send to the killers, but we can't keep them forever either.
                                  Warren should breed less, breed quality and be selective. Sell some that look ok. it's a shame

Comment

i emailed for answers.

See but this isnt just an issue of having excess horses. The fact is that these horses are well bred stallions that they used for breeding and obviously just disposed of them before even attempting to find a home for them and im sure the majority of these horses, if they were nice enough to breed with, could have been placed.

This isnt just an issue of having excess, crap animals...its about taking responsibility for your animals. the fact is that im sure these animals are quite fine looking and have wonderful breeding. just points out one of the biggest issues with the TB industry-breeding so much.

Comment

farmgirl,

the ones that have been identified so far, were standing for $ 1,000 to $ 1,500 stud fee.

The rest of the stalions they have listed are also in that fee range.

Honestly, I don't consider that prime breeding material.

And to dump 40 possible bred mares at the same time, seems to me like they should get out of business all together with.
                                      \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Comment

No offense, but I see his horses every day and even claimed one by Rahy's Quackerjack that earned a whopping 70,000. Horse could run and was even sound, but he is one of very few. B Warren breeds crap to crap and sometimes gets one that can run. Most debut for Mdn $40,000 or Cal Bred $25,000 (which is bottoms) and show little. He or his breeding program are a contributing factor to why horse racing has a bad name. I'm not saying breed only good horses for hundreds of thousands of dollars, but be selective. Not every mare needs to be bred and not every colt/horse should keep his testicles and be allowed to use them.

Comment

SEATTLE BOUND
                                          here is a mare out of him for sale
                                          http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-42157

He is a son of Seattle Slew
                                          http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/seattle+bound

Color: b
                                          Height: 17.0

34-5-9-5

(USA) $191,506 - Sold as 2yo at 1990 Calder Sale for $95,000; Stakes-Placed; Sold in 1992 for $9,000; Sire

MAJOR MOMENT, chestnut, 1986, Raise a Native-Olympic Moment by Olympiad King. Warren's Thoroughbreds, Hemet. 2008 fee: Private.

HERE IS HIS RECORD AND STATISTICS
                                          http://usa.stallionring.com/frameHar...Header_type=sr

If link doesn't work use this
                                          http://usa.stallionring.com/showStal...sp?LID=4863800

Here is his form when hen was to be auctioned at Barretts he was withdrawn
                                          http://www.barretts.com/catalog/catjan04/pdf/654.pdf

DANTE'S INFERNO
                                          http://www.2ky.com.au/horse/results_...Inferno&type=R

Dante's Inferno, 02, In Excess (Ire)—Knightress Oxide, by Tough Knight. Warren's Thoroughbreds LLC, 3001 W. Esplanade Ave., Hemet, CA 92545. Phone: (951) 654-9238. Fax: (951) 654-8938. Email: warrensthoro@airenetworks.com. Web: www.thoroughbredinfo.com/showcase/warrenstb.htm.

MR BOLG ( name was wrong above this is the horse at the lot)
                                          Mr. Bolg, 86, Bolger—Brew Mistress (Fr), by Toujours Pret. Warren's Thoroughbreds LLC, 3001 W. Esplanade Ave., Hemet, CA 92545. Phone: (951) 654-9238. Fax: (951) 654-8938. Email: warrensthoro@airenetworks.com. Web: www.thoroughbredinfo.com/showcase/warrenstb.htm.

He received a stallion award in 1998

He was a breeders cup nominated stallion in 2007

Here is his stats
                                          http://usa.stallionring.com/frameHar...Header_type=sr
                                          Couldn't find much for the others.
                                          Ms Robin

Comment

Working...
                                          X