• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

digital camera/video camera for riding recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digital camera/video camera for riding recommendations

I did a search, but couldn't really find anything. Anyway, my own camera has been having some issues with the memory card, and the resolution/zoom aren't very good in any case. My housemates have a better one that they sometimes let me borrow, but it just had a major malfunction. Plus, I've had several recommendations that I video my rides/lessons, and it would be great to be able to do so for more than 15 seconds at a time! Any models that work well for just putting on a tripod and aiming at the arena if I don't have someone to take pictures? Any that let you zoom in nicely while videoing? Both in different modes would be even better! I'd like to keep the price down if possible, but I'm more concerned with being able to have usable footage.
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

ooh ohh great question!

*Sitting back and hoping for recs*
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in.

Comment

What are you hoping to do with the video?
      Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

The Canon G9 is a pretty nice little point and shoot that takes very good quality video.

Comment

Canon is hard to beat.
          That is all I have ever had in picture cameras.

Now, just for a small, simple video one, Circuit City had this one at half price a few months ago:

Sony Handycam, hybrid HDD, DCR-SR45

Comment

Define "good quality video".

If you mean "Will take a serviceably clear video in outdoor light conditions", just about any camcorder can handle that, including the sub-$200 models.

If you mean "Will record well in the low-light conditions of an indoor arena", you're going to spend at least $500. Real camera purists would say that you'd have to spend $2000 to get good results in low light, but I'm not one of those!

Personally, I've done fine looking at videos from my cheesy three-year-old Canon Powershot digicam. It takes good enough videos for Youtube, and I'm more concerned with still photo images than the videos. If you're willing to accept Youtube quality in outdoor lighting conditions, then just about any digital camera on the market will do that job!
            Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

I want to watch them myself, mostly, and hopefully go over them *with* the instructor during the lesson, so she can show me what I'm doing. I've done that before, even with pretty limited equipment, and it's *very* helpful. I'd also like to post them here, either to share what we're working on, or to ask for suggestions. Several people have expressed an interest in seeing some video of me vaulting, and I've had several people *take* video, but it's like pulling teeth to ever get a copy so I can watch it! I'm hoping to also get some video of my dancing lessons which are indoors, but have good lighting.

None of the places I ride currently have an indoor (I do vaulting at one barn, eventing lessons at another barn, and get to ride some of my friend's horses for free in the arena and field at her home). One that is good enough to take decent stills and/or video in poor lighting would be great, though, in case that changes, but I know that's likely to really increase the price and reduce my options, so it's not my top priority.

You-tube-ish quality is ok, but a little better would be nice, of course! I'm not expecting them to be sale ad quality, but I'd like for (with a decent photographer) it to be able to mostly focus in on me, instead of going from being a tiny dot on the horizon to getting footage of my outside ear. I'd prefer to be able to get at least 1-3 minutes of footage in one clip, rather than only a few seconds like my current camera does.

Comment

The Canon G9 sounds like just the ticket then, at least IMO. Runs around $450 on Amazon.

Comment

Here is the Sony I got and paid, on sale, some $230 for it.
                  Prices sure have gone up since then:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DCR-SR45-...383152&sr=1-22

I would write all the names and models you like and keep checking for sales in all places.

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm hoping to round up a few suggestions, then check out sales and e-bay.

Comment

This is way on the cheap side, and doesn't zoom great...but I LOVE my daughter's Flip Video. I got it for her for Christmas. No tapes - just memory. Records an hour-ish. What I love about it is that it's extremely compact, and has only 2 or 3 buttons. It's super easy to use and fun to have around the barn.

No, it's not my favorite for videotaping lessons, but it does work (if you have good eyes!).

Comment

A lot of new cameras are about to hit the market in the next few months so wait for the sales! The current crop of HD camcorders is nice but you can't do much with the video unless you've got a seriously good PC or a tricked out Mac (Mac-Mini won't do). Sadly the current consumer PC market is mostly regurgitation of previously high-end models from the last two years with a few companies offering the latest stuff for a HUGE premium, much more than you would pay to get the equivalent machine built from identical or similar parts.

All camcorders on the market take still shots if you want that sort of thing but the really great thing is that you can watch your stuff in HD either by putting the memory card/disc into the TV/separate video player or connecting the camera directly to an HDTV with HDMI. The camcorder I'm getting isn't out yet (still in development) but it's gonna set a new standard for consumer video when it is released next year. It's being developed from technology currently being used in digital cinema cameras so it will deliver seriously yummy looking video.
                        Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

We have the Sony Handycam, hybrid HDD, DCR-SR45 and love it. It does very good video both inside and out. (Remember, when you look at youtube videos that the quality you see has nothing to do with the camera that took it. ) It is a hard drive camera and can store HOURS of video in high quality. No tapes, cds or any opening doors to get dust into . It also downloads quickly to a computer or you can just plug it into your TV.

We also have the Fuji Finepix S8000fd. It shoots like a 35MM and can shoot fairly high speed with a high speed card. I like it a lot and use it for "still shots" on our web site. It will also do video of pretty good quality but you cannot zoom while videoing and you are limited to the size of your card.

Both cameras are not expensive and both are easy to use, especially the Sony.
                          Patty
                          www.rivervalefarm.com
                          Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

I have an Olympus SP-500 UZ. I love it because you can set it on auto or do custom settings. I can set it for low light or nightime, this comes in handy for shooting indoors. It has 10X optical zoom and 5X digital zoom. This means I can take a photo of a tree 1000 feet away and zoom in to see the bark and moss on the trunk.

I can take over 5 minutes of video with mine. If I got a bigger dx card it would probably be more. It also has the feature to take 3 or 4 photos in sequence.

I bought mine two years ago, so it is outdated. On e-bay you can buy one recondition, or get a newer model with more mega pixels. If you are looking for a digital that can also take video, check it out.

Comment

Advice: video camera and software for youtube videos?

Like the title says, what do you use or recommend? I have not attempted youtube videos yet, but I am intrigued by what some people are able to create and post on youtube. For those of you who create and upload videos, what hardwar and software exactly do you use?

camera?
                              software to edit and create videos?
                              other?

Tips on creating?

Comment

If money isn't a big consideration...

I would consider one of those newer camera's that have the Harddrive inside instead of using video tapes. That way you just plug the camera into your computer and it acts like an external drive. I believe it comes with some editing software, but for the best stuff you would want Adobe Premier..
                                -
                                If you want be go on the cheap, look into one of those memory stick cameras that run in the $100 to $200 range. They are decent especially for uploaded video, where the quality isn't going to be fabulous anyway due to compression and other peoples connection speed...
                                " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers. Wood Routed Stall and Farm Signs
                                http://www.bluemooncustomsigns.com

Comment

Here are some tips:
                                  • brand or size of camera do not matter very much, the quality of consumer cameras is very good across the board, just go to a BestBuy (or other similar store) and try out some cameras for easy handling
                                  • make sure your camera and computer can communicate, most likely via a USB or FireWire cable - this is how you will get the footage from the tape (your camera will be your "tape deck")into your computer to edit
                                  • as far as editing software goes, if you have a Mac, you are lucky because it comes with iMovie which is great software for beginners; I'm sure there is something similar for PC users
                                  • make short videos! cut the boring stuff out! then save as a Quicktime file which you can email or upload to YouTube (need to create an account beforehand) or other video sites
                                  • another REALLY important thing to quickly improve the quality of your videos: use a tripod, or sth. else to steady your hand/arm and practice following the action - nothing harder to watch than the jerky videos out there

Hope this helps!

Comment

I've got an even more specific question than the OP...

I've got my footage. I've got a mac and iMovie. I've done my editing down to 2-3 minutes per horse, each horse has his own video to keep it short. I save these short videos as quicktime movies and they play great and the file size is relatively small (25-50 MB). Then I upload them to youtube or dailymotion and they look awful: frame rate too slow, pixelated, etc.

This is a real problem because these are sales horses and I want to be able to provide an honest view of how these horses move.

Any suggestions on specific settings when saving as a quicktime movie for youtube or other video sharing sites?

Comment

Best inexpensive video camera for filming horses?

I killed my video camera.

I need to replace it and I would like to find one that isn't super expensive. This last one was about 480 bucks and only lasted for 3 1/2 years.

What are you all using and how do you like the quality? Ease of uploading? Do you feel like the camera captures the true color of the horse or does it sort of wash out (especially when in motion)?

I primarily shoot in an outdoor arena so outdoor quality is important. I need a smooth zoom and a good color balance. Still shots are a must.

Forgive me mods if this is too off topic.
                                      Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Comment

I have a Sony H-5 and it does pics and vids. I use it for all of the horse stuff.

Not so great indoors. Lovely out.

All of my Rolex footage and every video on youtube is with that camera.

If you want to see how it does, go to youtube and look for BuddyRoo07 I believe. You can get some idea.
                                        A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Working...
                                        X