• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Question for parents with child/children who are allergic to horses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for parents with child/children who are allergic to horses

Elder child, age 9, is interested in learning the basics of riding, but is seriously sensitive to animals. He is the sort of kid who cannot go to the circus, because the animals in the ring set off coughing, sneezing and leave him miserable.

"Riding" for him would be learning to sit and steer so we can go on holidays and he can ride for a day or so with us. Because he is so allergic, when we have discussed horses in the past, he has been adamant he is not interested in learning to ride.

However, we went to an Argentine estancia for Christmas and he met a boy his own age who did get to ride every day, and he's changed his mind. He's not interested in riding daily, or showing, but just being able to do some sort of family group activity that involves horses (yeah! ).

Of course, we have talked to our doctor. His recommendation is to try the over the counter antihistamines now available (Allegra is what I happen to have on hand). Benadryl has proven to be not terribly effective in managing the symptoms in the past.

I'm interested in hearing what people who have first hand experience in this area have to say; that is, parents, or trainers who have children who are allergic. Specifically, what kind of success have you had managing symptoms with antihistamines or other sorts of medication? Success or failure, I'd like to hear some real life examples.

My game plan is to try a schedule of lessons locally for the spring as a test. I'd like to be as prepared as possible and if possible, have multiple things I can try.

Many thanks,
    Chronicles of the $700 Pony
    The Further Adventures of the $700 Pony
    www.blithetraveler.com <-- My Blog

I'm very interested in any responses. I've know one girl, 9 years old who is dead keen on riding. Not quite as bad as your boy, but she ends up looking like him in some of the photos on your blog. Try as he might, her father can't seem to drag her away from the ponies. She would love to ride with me if she didn't end up unable to see and weezing so she can't do anything.

I also met another young girl today who said to me that she would really like to ride, but she's also allergic - she got itchy eyes and runny nose, just from being near me after I'd been working with the horses!

Both these kids are farm kids. Exposed to other animals, dirt and horses since birth. They would love to hear of any good ideas and things that will work on an ongoing basis, for everyday.

Comment

My son was very allergic -- running eyes, sneezing etc, it was pretty dramatic. We used Benadryl or Zyrtec (prescription, he had other allergies too). I gave him a teaspoon full before we went to the barn. I did that for a year or two, and one day forgot to give him the medication. He went to the barn and was just fine! So from that time on, I stopped the medication. That was about 10 years ago, he's now 17.
      https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
      Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
      www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

My son will be 12 this summer and is allergic to everything outside especially horses He is a rider...he doesn't usually get medicated. Usually what we do is - I groom especially shedding season - He does know how to groom, and will groom. Gloves and long sleeve shirts are the kid's friends. Wash hands right away, do not touch the face till all horsey clothes have been removed. and hands and face washed. Also a medical mask work.

Comment

Both my son and I are mildly allergic, i.e., not as bad you're describing, although my son when much younger (until 2nd grade or so) did have relatively mild asthma as well.

OTC antihistimines are definitely worth trying. Make sure you given them enough time in advance to take hole before you go out to the barn (1 to 2 hours before going). It's also worth trying a couple of different ones if the first doesn't seem to work, since individuals react differently to each (as you've found). While he's at the barn make sure he keeps his hands away from his eyes and nose.

Then, when he comes home, he goes straight into the shower and the clothes go straight into the wash.

FWIW I'm allergic to cats, and do the same thing before and after visiting friends who own cats: antihistamine before and wash everything after. No touching the face while at the friend's place. It works fine.

Good luck.
          "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by phoebetrainer View Post
            She would love to ride with me if she didn't end up unable to see and wheezing so she can't do anything.

I also met another young girl today who said to me that she would really like to ride, but she's also allergic - she got itchy eyes and runny nose, just from being near me after I'd been working with the horses!
            PT, have the parents tried any medications to date?
            Chronicles of the $700 Pony
            The Further Adventures of the $700 Pony
            www.blithetraveler.com <-- My Blog

Comment

This cute little 8 year old girl from down the road kept coming to my farm to see my horses. Only problem was she was horribly allergic to them, her eyes would turn blood red and she'd sneeze and start to wheeze (she has asthma). But she was absolutely determined to learn to ride, and did everything she could to be at my barn.

With her foster mother's permission, I put her in a paper face mask, protective goggles, and gloves and she helped me groom. She also learned to ride a bit.

We had to be SUPER careful and keep her inhaler nearby. After the barn, she'd go home and wash up and change her clothes. Over time and with more and more exposure, she seemed to develop tolerance to the horses. With time we lost the gloves, then the goggles, then the mask.

My husband and I wound up adopting her, and today she's a healthy 17 year old horse girl who is a C2 in Pony Club. Yeah, she has pretty much gotten over the horse allergy!

Her one trigger is that she has to be careful if shedding out a horse or being around a lot of horse hair flying. She keeps an inhaler (she has fairly severe asthma) handy. But all in all I'd consider her no longer allergic to horses.

Comment

I'm allergic to corn pollen, hay, horses, dogs, and cats. Oh, and Russian Olive trees and mold. LOL

ANYWAY...my "allergy therapy" was being constantly exposed. I was just fine with cats til I took a few years away and now I have to have drugs on board.

I think that the allergy shots can do a great deal of good. Doctors say that I basically did my own "allergy shots" by being exposed continuously and getting over some of it. But that was years ago.
                A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

My brother is seriously allergic to horses. He used to be able to be around them casually, but it got to the point where he couldn't even be around my horse clothing. After having to go to the emergency room after a trail ride, he now has to carry an epi-pen if he thinks he's going to be somewhere there will be horses. He really likes them, but cannot be around them with any degree of safety.
                  According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Comment

My sister and I are both allergic to horses. I am mildly allergic but she gets very miserable when around horses (she doesn't ride but likes to come out to the barn). We have both found a homeopathic allergy spray to be helpful (under the tongue, as much as needed). It got rid of my stuffy nose altogether, and made my sister able to actually groom my horse with only mild sniffles. Could be a placebo effect, who knows, but we were happy with it and an $18 bottle lasted me several months. YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                    X