• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse slaughter plant headed to Middle TN?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Horse slaughter plant headed to Middle TN?

    http://www.wmctv.com/story/17327194/...d-to-middle-tn

    A bill is expected to come up for a vote in the House Monday that its sponsor says is designed to make horse meat processing plant operators feel welcome in Tennessee.

    Rep. Andy Holt, a Republican from Dresden, says the bill would create jobs and a place for unwanted horses to die a humane death.

    "We're trying to encourage job creation and economic development in the state of Tennessee," Holt says.

    Holt says rural middle Tennessee is a likely location, although he won't say where or who's behind the effort.

    "I don't think it's anyone's authority to make me divulge who these people are. This has been a controversial issue," Holt says.






    http://www.theleafchronicle.com/usat...CFRONTPAGE%7Cs

    " A Tennessee attorney general's opinion says a legislative proposal to require large deposits before people could mount a legal challenge to a horse slaughterhouse is constitutionally suspect.

    The bill sponsored by Rep. Andy Holt would require a bond equal to 20 percent of the worth of a horse slaughterhouse or processing plant from anyone filing a lawsuit against the facility.

    The Dresden Republican's bill seeks to encourage the practice of slaughtering horses in Tennessee."

  • #2
    What are you worried about? The RARAs have enough $$$ at their command that the amount required for a challenge is just chump change.
    The inherent vice of Capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of Socialism is the equal sharing of miseries.
    Winston Churchill

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #3
      Originally posted by Frank B View Post
      What are you worried about? The RARAs have enough $$$ at their command that the amount required for a challenge is just chump change.
      Who is worried? I am watching to see which of these plants, that have been in the news lately, will actually get up and running.

      I didn't think 20% of the cost would faze them either.

      Comment


      • #4
        There's a lot of opposition to these bills here in TN, and not initiated by big organizations. Pretty much of a grass roots effort among horse people, crossing party lines. We hope our reasoned arguments resonate with our state representatives. RARA $$'s in TN are not going to cut it.

        Comment

        • Original Poster

          #5
          There is a poll here and opinion is closer than I thought it would be.

          http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...slaughterhous/

          Poll: Should the state legislature pass a bill to "encourage" the location of horse slaughterhouses and processing plants in Tennessee?

          RESPONSE PERCENT VOTES
          No 54% 6459
          Yes 45% 5407
          Not sure 0% 13
          total votes: 11879

          Comment


          • #6
            Be careful what you wish for Tennessee'ens.
            Look at Kaufmanzoning to get an idea of the effects on the community having a plant like this can bring- stress to infrastructure [roads, sewers, etc] with no/low taxes paid and profit walked off and not spent locally, and lowered property values with little gain [ie 50 low paying, gruesome jobs].

            I may be personally anti-slaughter for the humane aspects, but I am anti-plant for what it does to the community and what it promises but doesn't deliver.
            Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

            http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

            Comment


            • #7
              All these issues have been communicated to the appropriate people. Hope our lobbying pays off.

              But, if not, as Angela states, you get what you ask for, and sometimes more. I don't live in middle Tennessee, so, other than the humane issue, have little skin in the game.

              There's a Tyson chicken plant in that part of the state where they brought in a pile of Somalis (political refugees) to work there (nobody else would) and now the town has been taken over by them, with resulting cultural clashes.

              Comment


              • #8
                Bewared the NIMBY phenomenon.

                Originally posted by lifesabreeze View Post
                There is a poll here and opinion is closer than I thought it would be.

                http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...slaughterhous/

                Poll: Should the state legislature pass a bill to "encourage" the location of horse slaughterhouses and processing plants in Tennessee?

                RESPONSE PERCENT VOTES
                No 54% 6459
                Yes 45% 5407
                Not sure 0% 13
                total votes: 11879
                For all those who voted NO, I assume the voted YES to horses being shipped to Canada and Mexico.

                Originally posted by Angela Freda View Post
                Be careful what you wish for Tennessee'ens.
                Look at Kaufmanzoning to get an idea of the effects on the community having a plant like this can bring- stress to infrastructure [roads, sewers, etc] with no/low taxes paid and profit walked off and not spent locally, and lowered property values with little gain [ie 50 low paying, gruesome jobs].

                I may be personally anti-slaughter for the humane aspects, but I am anti-plant for what it does to the community and what it promises but doesn't deliver.
                Originally posted by BabyGreen View Post
                All these issues have been communicated to the appropriate people. Hope our lobbying pays off.

                But, if not, as Angela states, you get what you ask for, and sometimes more. I don't live in middle Tennessee, so, other than the humane issue, have little skin in the game.

                There's a Tyson chicken plant in that part of the state where they brought in a pile of Somalis (political refugees) to work there (nobody else would) and now the town has been taken over by them, with resulting cultural clashes.
                Did you just call this group a "pile" of Somali people and political refugees?

                Moving on. This does commonly happen with meat processing plants. It's sad. I'd do almost anything before taking a job in one. But it's not a horse slaughter plant per se that produces these problems. If you will have horses suffering because of the NIMBY phenomenon anyway, and any plant will produce low-paying jobs and all that goes with it, why not build it? It's not like Middle TN is going to become the next Silicon Valley just because a horse slaughter plant is kept out.
                The armchair saddler
                Politically Pro-Cat

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by lifesabreeze View Post
                  There is a poll here and opinion is closer than I thought it would be.

                  http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...slaughterhous/

                  Poll: Should the state legislature pass a bill to "encourage" the location of horse slaughterhouses and processing plants in Tennessee?

                  RESPONSE PERCENT VOTES
                  No 54% 6459
                  Yes 45% 5407
                  Not sure 0% 13
                  total votes: 11879
                  And of course the rep in the article states the plants will help deal with old horses...I guess he doesn't realize that it is YOUNG horses that make up the majority of those slaughtered. In 2007 the avg age was 12. I'm sure it is younger now, due to the economy and cheap prices of horses.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I bring up the jobs issue because that's one of the arguments they are using.

                    In reality, this is being backed by a cadre of legislators and outside investors who breed quarter horses and gaited horses out the kazoo, and want a ready market for their culls.

                    All this horse slaughter activitiy is to pave the way for breeding for slaughter, like cows, for the european market. As if we don't eat enough meat as it is. Meat is not an efficient way to feed people, and will become less efficient as farm land declines and population increases. Then, I guess, we'll eat each other.

                    Yes, I did say "pile". That's an expression. It means "a lot".

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Angela Freda View Post
                      Be careful what you wish for Tennessee'ens.
                      Look at Kaufmanzoning to get an idea of the effects on the community having a plant like this can bring- stress to infrastructure [roads, sewers, etc] with no/low taxes paid and profit walked off and not spent locally, and lowered property values with little gain [ie 50 low paying, gruesome jobs].

                      I may be personally anti-slaughter for the humane aspects, but I am anti-plant for what it does to the community and what it promises but doesn't deliver.
                      Are not 50 low paying jobs better than 0 jobs?

                      Any plant, whether it be a meat processing, lumber, or automotive is going to stress the infrastructure currently in place. Many plants are owned off-shore so the profits go off-shore. Many communities reduce or eliminate the taxes in order to get the plants to locate there and supply jobs. If the plant does not pay what is owed it is up to the community to take the company to court and collect.
                      I support equine meat processing as an option for those who choose to use it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by wonderhorseguy View Post
                        Any plant, whether it be a meat processing, lumber, or automotive is going to stress the infrastructure currently in place. Many plants are owned off-shore so the profits go off-shore. Many communities reduce or eliminate the taxes in order to get the plants to locate there and supply jobs. If the plant does not pay what is owed it is up to the community to take the company to court and collect.
                        Yes, but a community poor enough to welcome an employer that provides low-paying jobs and doesn't want to pay for the infrastructure it will use is also too poor to sue. Everyone knows that going in.
                        The armchair saddler
                        Politically Pro-Cat

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I believe the town of Kaufman was extremely financially stressed by trying to enforce broken codes by Dallas Crowne. I believe Crown tried to separate every single infraction into a separate court case, costing the town an horrendous amount of money that they really didn't have to begin with.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            There are jobs in the middle TN area-------folks just won't take them-------------------many would rather sit on their asses and bitch and moan than to have more than nothing if they can't have alot-------------------did that make sense to you??????????? Do you think they are going to line up for jobs at a slaughter plant????????? And why can we not have a controlled humane euthanasia program and disposal at a nominal cost/or government run and free instead of a slaughter plant where the methods are not humane????????????????????? And I am not a RARA------I'm just an equine person that is pissed off.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by nashfad View Post
                              There are jobs in the middle TN area-------folks just won't take them-------------------many would rather sit on their asses and bitch and moan than to have more than nothing if they can't have alot-------------------did that make sense to you??????????? Do you think they are going to line up for jobs at a slaughter plant????????? And why can we not have a controlled humane euthanasia program and disposal at a nominal cost/or government run and free instead of a slaughter plant where the methods are not humane????????????????????? And I am not a RARA------I'm just an equine person that is pissed off.
                              Sorry to get all political on you, but it sounds like those guys prefer welfare to a bad job. And you don't appreciate the sentiment.

                              But! You want the government to subsidize cull disposal for the horsey set?

                              As a ranty Marxist, I say "For shame!"

                              And as a regular person: "Dude! Are you nuts? That's politically untenable."
                              The armchair saddler
                              Politically Pro-Cat

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Yes, I know, we'll give food stamps and all kinds of "benefits" to lazy asses that refuse to work and feed all the children belonging to these folks because they don't use birth control and they get more $$ the more kids they have and the rest of us work our asses off to have and keep what we have. Take that money from the deadbeats and put it towards something else. The state of TN 'bragged" a while back about the # of folks on welfare at an all time high---sic---------3/4 of my horses work more than some folks!

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by mvp View Post
                                  Sorry to get all political on you, but it sounds like those guys prefer welfare to a bad job. And you don't appreciate the sentiment.

                                  But! You want the government to subsidize cull disposal for the horsey set?

                                  As a ranty Marxist, I say "For shame!"

                                  And as a regular person: "Dude! Are you nuts? That's politically untenable."
                                  You do realize that they have estimated the costs for horse meat inspection to be 5 million per yr. And then you have the costs associated with upgrading wastewater plants/infrastructure, and the cost for the cities to prosecute EPA violations. It almost bankrupted the city of Kaufman.
                                  It would actually be cheaper to just have gelding clinics, and euth clinics.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by jetsmom View Post
                                    You do realize that they have estimated the costs for horse meat inspection to be 5 million per yr. And then you have the costs associated with upgrading wastewater plants/infrastructure, and the cost for the cities to prosecute EPA violations. It almost bankrupted the city of Kaufman.
                                    It would actually be cheaper to just have gelding clinics, and euth clinics.

                                    A) 5 million is nothing on the federal level
                                    B) you are leaving out the cost of disposal for your euthing clinic, 1200 points of bio hazard material
                                    C) the slaughter plant is likely not the only reason Kauffman went bankrupt, or that the sewer system was obsolete.
                                    Newsflash, the utilities in most US cities are hopelessly out of date and in need of restructure and upgrade.
                                    You will see the construction coming to a city near you probably really soon, as the infrastructure is rapidly collapsing.
                                    D) the plant is a private business, for profit. Not a feelgood happy place. Euthing clinics I am sure are fine, but come on. it's not even apples and oranges...that's like lemon and Catbury cream eggs....
                                    Originally posted by BigMama1
                                    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                                    GNU Terry Prachett

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                                      A) 5 million is nothing on the federal level
                                      It's this thinking that has led to the incredible billions in deficit that we have now. Our gov't is insolvent or very close to it and printing more and more money for all this crap is not going to help..it just digs a deeper hole.

                                      I'm not for spending a dime on a foreign owned business like this one almost certainly is. I'd rather see that 5 million channeled into building and inspecting more local multi species plants that would take horses also. Win win for everyone that way and builds our own home grown businesses and keeps the money in the US.

                                      Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                                      , the utilities in most US cities are hopelessly out of date and in need of restructure and upgrade.
                                      You will see the construction coming to a city near you probably really soon, as the infrastructure is rapidly collapsing.
                                      That assumes there is money to repair our crumbling infrastructure. We are dangerously close to a major depression. I'd not bet on the odds of there being money to fix many of the things that need it for much longer if we stay on this path.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by wonderhorseguy View Post
                                        Are not 50 low paying jobs better than 0 jobs?

                                        Any plant, whether it be a meat processing, lumber, or automotive is going to stress the infrastructure currently in place. Many plants are owned off-shore so the profits go off-shore. Many communities reduce or eliminate the taxes in order to get the plants to locate there and supply jobs. If the plant does not pay what is owed it is up to the community to take the company to court and collect.

                                        IMHO, no.

                                        It's Middle TN, so if you bring in a company that hires 50 nuclear engineers you bring in 50 families who spend money with a 10% sales tax, have nice houses on which they pay property tax and don't need much in the way of social services.

                                        Bring in 50 low income families and they tend to cost the community more in education (bi lingual education) and social services than they put in
                                        I wasn't always a Smurf
                                        Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                                        "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                                        The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X