Sport Horse Spotlight

IMG_6002

Real Estate Spotlight

97 Spring Lane (1)

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butt bar for straightload turned into slant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butt bar for straightload turned into slant

I have a two horse straightload that my new horse doesn't seem to like ( maybe because full partition). I am gong to try moving the partition over to give her more room. I have a metal bar that I can use to turn the two buttbars into one solid, long butt bar. Anyone done this? It's so cumbersome to use I just want to make sure there's not a better way. TIA.

There is a better way

Get thee to a welding shop (trailer repair places are good) and get them to make you a custom one. Much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by otisrider View Post
      I have a two horse straightload that my new horse doesn't seem to like ( maybe because full partition). I am gong to try moving the partition over to give her more room. I have a metal bar that I can use to turn the two buttbars into one solid, long butt bar. Anyone done this? It's so cumbersome to use I just want to make sure there's not a better way. TIA.
      Originally posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
      Get thee to a welding shop (trailer repair places are good) and get them to make you a custom one. Much easier.
      Do this and let me see the pictures. I have wanted to do the same thing for several years.

When you design it, I suggest some features:

1) Make sure you can detach it at both sides. (That's for safety and ease of use, or converting your trailer back to a straight load).

2) Include a hinge section on each side so that when you open it up, you can also swing it out. Any way you slice it or dice it, you'll have a pipe attached to your trailer hanging down where a horse loading/unloading could put a leg over it. So see design feature #1. IMO, you won't like having to load the horse and then attach the pipe at both ends.

3) As with well-designed trailers: Make sure you have redundancy in the design of your attachment points. My C&C for example, uses pins, and the tube-like doohickies that are attached to the bar (and swivel slightly) are held on with nuts/bolts. That means I have two ways to release a butt bar on each side. And these bolts aren't under pressure, even with a horse's weight on them.

4) Make the butt bar light.

5) Practice with something similar-- a long dowel perhaps-- and your horse getting on and off. You need to see how this design will work in practice.

IMO, you don't want a butt bar that means you have to lean down and look at anything or grab anything. In doing so, you just put your head by the hind end of a horse in a metal box that makes 'em skeevy. And then you picked up a piece of metal to hold next to your body/get someone tangled in when the horse freaks out. If you are like me when hauling, you are wearing a baseball cap. Its bill won't let you see the hooves coming toward your noggin while you are looking down at anything.
      The armchair saddler
      Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I have a solid spring-bar that stretches the width of the trailer. It was added by the previous owner to keep her big horse from sitting on the curtain doors. I think I've seen these routinely on vans. A good trailer shop should be able to obtain one and put the brackets in for you.

Comment

I've done it with the solid butt-bars and now with my trailer that has two chains. With the former, I went to a welder and had them weld (hard to explain) a small metal 'tube' to the center vertical bar that the pins of the bars could fit into. It was removable if I wanted to move the center partition back. Had the same thing welded to the off side of the trailer to hold the bar over to the side. If yours is with butt chains, like my present trailer, I've taken a metal ring and attached it to the center bar, and both chains hook to it. With both of styles, that way, you only have to drop one side when loading or unloading.

Comment

Working...
          X