• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Things that irk you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Traum View Post
    This struck me really funny just now. I mean really, IS there a career where punching people in the throat wouldn't be a bad thing?
    Think of it this way. The military has this thing called the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice). Also, there's a TON of civilian jobs where you could punch some one in the throat while not on the clock and people will say that what you do in your off time is your business. When you're in the military what you do in your off time IS their business, and they take things A LOT more seriously than the civilian world. Ever heard of a Dishonorable Discharge? That will ruin your life. Getting fired from a civilian job cannot ruin you in the ways the military can.
    What's worse, getting fired and maybe having to deal with the cops OR having the military throw your ass in military jail, tell you that you WILL be getting kicked out, reduce your rank, take half your pay, and confine you to the base? Tell you that it will take a while for your discharge paperwork to go through so while you're waiting they will make you do manual labor 12 hours a day 5 days a week and 8 hours a day on the weekends. And I'm not even joking when I say that manual labor means you will be outside all day long rain or shine moving rocks by hand, or picking grass. Dead serious, I actually know people this has happened to.

www.jumping-percheron.blogspot.com

Comment

• I'll play-

People riding in raggaty clothes with REALLY dirty tack and a dirty horse.

Kids who dont 'get it' and ride once a week and wonder why they dont get better.

People who think polo wraps are great.

People who hack on a really loose rein and just let there horses plod around.

Children everywhere.

People who complain when a young horse god forbid WHINNY'S like Im supposed to do something about it, like its making there horse "wild".

People who give dirty looks because YEAH I'll give my green horse a good lunge because YEAH Im a little worried about him being crazy. Dont freaking treat me like Im a animal abuser.

-In reference to the two above, most people who do this dont own green horses and dont have the guts to own one, so basically, people who critize owners of green horses who shouldent be talking.

People who think they know everything but dont.

Kimberwicks

As soon as you get off the horses head dives into your chest to rub on you.

Horses that put all of there weight into you when you pick theire feet out

People who leave crap on my trunk 24/7 Its annoying when I was there yesterday and its there again today.

People who dont know me but talk to me like I'm there friend or something. Im anti social, I really prefer not talking to people I dont know.

People who talk to much in general. Ha

People who punish there horses by tearing up there face

People who see-saw in a attemop to get there horses head down

Done, Ha made a total hunter princess out of myself
      Last edited by LiveToFly; Aug. 12, 2008, 04:19 AM.
      Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Author Unknown

Comment

• Kids that don't appreciate their horse.

People who look down upon you if you are a novice horseowner or don't show.

Teenage "trainers"

People who see horses as "disposable"
        ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
        ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
        ';;;;;;; clique
        //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

Comment

• I'll try to contain myself to just a few

Folks who blame the horse for their mistakes.

Owners who are trying to do things on the cheap without 2 pennies to scratch their backside with......... so can't afford basic veterinary treatment, foot care, board, turnout, tack and equipment that fits* (*insert as you will) and then spend all the time complaining about lame horse and trying to make do because the Barn/Trainer/Vet/Farrier* (*insert as you will) is too expensive ......... Sell the horse and go get a pet rock!!! Others DO NOT have to subsidise your lifetstyle choice !

Overweight, unfit riders trying to do anything clever or athletic on a horse and hence putting horse at risk! Get fit to ride. (And as this is a what irks thread then dare I mention Amy Trytofiton in that category as needing to lose 14 to 20 lbs!

Riders constantly flapping their legs and jabbing heels into their horses sides to get them going and then yanking their face off when they do go!

I cringe every time I hear the words "horse whisperer"

Comment

• Originally posted by Thomas_1 View Post
            ... without 2 pennies to scratch their backside with ...
            And
            Originally posted by Thomas_1 View Post
            Sell the horse and go get a pet rock!!!
            Thomas, thanks for the morning chuckle!

Originally posted by Thomas_1 View Post
            On my list of annoying phrases, too. Along with "natural horsemanship" in the horsey world and things like "proactive" and "pre-planned" in the broader world.
            Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
            -Albert Camus

Comment

• Owners who are trying to do things on the cheap without 2 pennies to scratch their backside with.........

Specially when they say they have the money, are making 6 figures (maybe they are all zeros)but are just plain cheap!

They get their horses trimmed twice a year because that's enough, horses in the wild don't get their hooves trimmed. And they are letting their horses live like the wild horses of the west.
              The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.

Comment

• Originally posted by gotabuk View Post
                I'm also irritated by those toy balls people buy for their horses.
                I bought my horse a Jolly Ball when he was on stall rest during the winter thinking it would entertain him. It didn't. It irked me that I bought the thing and I don't think he's touched it. Actually, scratch that, he did touch it. He stomped on it and smushed the whole side it. And it irks me that I can't seem to get the smushed side to pop back out!

So yeah, I guess I'm irked by those balls, too!

Comment

• Percheronjumper, I knew you were serious I was just in a punchy mood and it struck me as an amusing way to phrase that.

Carry on, surprisingly, no irks from me today!

Comment

• Originally posted by Traum View Post
                    Percheronjumper, I knew you were serious I was just in a punchy mood and it struck me as an amusing way to phrase that.
                    I hear ya! Me too, that's why I kinda wrote a smart ass reply. But it's the truth.

No irks YET today. But I would like to say IN YOUR FACE to some people in my unit. I had my annual PT (Physical Training) test today and I LAPPED every single person I was running with and ran the fastest mile and a half. I also blew them away on the other stuff. Yet, it's funny that some of them LOVE to tell me how riding isn't really that hard, all you do is sit there, it doesn't require much. Then they all stand there scratching their heads saying "Damn, good job!!" Yeah thanks...you know WHY I can beat all your asses in sit ups and run like I'm on fire? A big thank you to my Perch, barn chores, and my instructor. I'm not saying the horse environment is soley responsible for me being in shape but, where do I spend 90% of my time? And doing what?
                    www.jumping-percheron.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Thomas_1 View Post
                      I'll try to contain myself to just a few

Folks who blame the horse for their mistakes.

Owners who are trying to do things on the cheap without 2 pennies to scratch their backside with......... so can't afford basic veterinary treatment, foot care, board, turnout, tack and equipment that fits* (*insert as you will) and then spend all the time complaining about lame horse and trying to make do because the Barn/Trainer/Vet/Farrier* (*insert as you will) is too expensive ......... Sell the horse and go get a pet rock!!! Others DO NOT have to subsidise your lifetstyle choice !

Overweight, unfit riders trying to do anything clever or athletic on a horse and hence putting horse at risk! Get fit to ride. (And as this is a what irks thread then dare I mention Amy Trytofiton in that category as needing to lose 14 to 20 lbs!

Riders constantly flapping their legs and jabbing heels into their horses sides to get them going and then yanking their face off when they do go!

oooh i agree

and those that do blame usually do the parelli the belly stuff and talk namby pamby as in baby talking and treats and sweets the horse

its a horse--------- not a toy--

Comment

• Right on... it's not a toy, it's NOT A DOG, it's definitely NOT A HUMAN.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveToFly View Post
                          People who leave crap on my trunk 24/7 Its annoying when I was there yesterday and its there again today.
                          OMG, sooooooo irksome! When I first moved to my barn I was in a tack room full of kids. I like kids. I do not like when kids leave their crap all over my trunk. Every single day it was something. Thank the Lord I have a trunk cover. One day I got there to find glitter glue on the cover. Not a tube of glitter glue sitting there, but actual glitter glue stuck to my trunk. WTF? The next day it was a knocked over Pepsi can, complete with Pepsi all over my trunk. I suppose it was to compliment the glitter glue? Then the sweaty, nasty, dirty saddle pads started accumulating on my trunk. I started throwing them all in the corner of the tack room in a pile. Then I moved to another tack room. Happy day!

Comment

• One of my all time favorite Jerks...I mean, irks...are those that would do it better than you, IF they had the money. But, they don't HAVE the money, and can't GET the money...but if they did, boy, they would sure do it "better" than you!! Guess we'll never know!

Meanwhile, they waste huge sums of money, every month...

One of the keys to "having money" is not "wasting money"...
                            "Riding a horse doesn't make you a Horseman. Many non-horsemen ride, many real horsemen do not ride. To be a Horseman, you must prove yourself of value to the horse."

Comment

Working...
                            X