Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

1539 Hatchaway Bridge Road 100

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On The Vertical Training Aid... Seriously??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On The Vertical Training Aid... Seriously??

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/OTV508

I'm far from a perfect rider and even I don't need one of those things to know where my horse's head is placed. Besides, I've got more important things to worry about than the "perfect" head set. Like, you know, making the horse is using his hind end, trying to work with the horse and not against it...
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Originally posted by DottieHQ
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

I can see this having value, dependent on its use. If you ride somewhere with no mirrors and often with no person on the ground it could help people realize just how deep their horse is. I have seen many a student think a horse's head was a head of the vertical when in reality its way behind. This could be a good feedback tool.

If someone uses it for training a head set... well thats their choice.

Comment

They have something like that for tractors, so you know how far on the slope you are and don't go so far you turn over.

Guess that some people can't tell where their or their horse's head are.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yeah, but it's actually being advertised as a tool to train a head set.

Besides, even if it is used as feedback tool (though I would rather trust a trainer to do that) how will students learn to develop sensitivity? I have a problem with rising trot, I can never tell if I'm on the right diagonal without looking, but being on the right diagonal it's actually beneficial to the horse. Focusing on the head set alone is not going to help the horses to engage from behind.
        Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Originally posted by DottieHQ
        You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

Comment

Looking at that thing I can hear my old trainer's voice in my head:

"Stop looking at his neck! There are no diamonds in there!!"
          *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
          Steppin' Out 1988-2004
          Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
          Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

While I totally agree that trying to train a headset is the wrong approach, I can see that this could be useful as rider feedback. As long as you AREN'T trying to set the head, then being able to see how the horse feels when he comes onto the vertical himself isn't a bad thing to get instant feedback on. People learn in different ways. I don't think, used in conjunction with a trainer in particular, that this would be such an evil tool.

Again, not suggesting it as a reason to fiddle with the head, just as a feedback monitor for a rider while learning. Maybe I'm wrong, haven't used it. It might not really work for that.
            Ring the bells that still can ring
            Forget your perfect offering
            There is a crack in everything
            That's how the light gets in.

Comment

Originally posted by 2DogsFarm View Post

Ha, there is that too!
              Ring the bells that still can ring
              Forget your perfect offering
              There is a crack in everything
              That's how the light gets in.

Comment

I honestly laughed out loud. I'd like to say it's pointless, but I can see it being useful as a teaching aid once or twice. I don't think I'd use it a lot, but I've had a few students who's learning styles have been...ahem...interesting. Needed more than "Feel that?!" and "See that?!"

I'm still giggling about it though. In my head I'm picturing that scene in Tin Cup they call all the goofy golf crap you wear "paraphernalia for lost and desperate souls".
                "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

Well, it's not abusive. And I can see a purpose for it. My horse tends to overbend. It would be useful for me to have an indicator of when he was doing that.

ETA: On second thought, I can totally imagine getting fixated with it and thinking of nothing else but the perfect headset.
                  I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Comment

Looking at that thing I can hear my old trainer's voice in my head: "Stop looking at his neck! There are no diamonds in there!!"
                    I used to tell my trainer when he'd yell at me for looking down, that when the light hits my horses neck in a certain way, I could see the Virgin Mary!

Comment

Having spent years on horses that wanted to travel above the bit, I wouldn't have seen the purpose... However, I now own a very forward wiggly guy who likes to go deep and be dishonest with the contact. I'm still getting used to this kind of ride so he can trick me because he feels forward and light but he's actually behind the vertical... This would help me a lot Might also stop me from crashing into the wall by the mirror because I'm looking and not riding

Comment

Mine would shout "WHAT are you DOOOOOOOOO-ING?" across the ring until you replied (ashamedly, because we all knew what was coming) "Looking at his head (mumble) set" then SHRIEK "everyone KNOWS you CAN'T RIDE THE HEAD!!!!!"

Sometimes, if he was feeling cheeky, he'd mess with you instead of shrieking- "Does your horse wear a saddle on his head?" or "Isn't his head rather narrow and uncomfortable?" and occasionally even "Does it bother you when your legs knock together under his chin?" then "OH, you're not riding his head you say? THEN WHY ARE YOU STARING AT IT!!! Look UP for God's Sake!"
                        Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
                        Sam: A job? Does it pay?
                        Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
                        Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Comment

Originally posted by Grataan View Post
                          Mine would shout "WHAT are you DOOOOOOOOO-ING?" across the ring until you replied (ashamedly, because we all knew what was coming) "Looking at his head (mumble) set" then SHRIEK "everyone KNOWS you CAN'T RIDE THE HEAD!!!!!"

Sometimes, if he was feeling cheeky, he'd mess with you instead of shrieking- "Does your horse wear a saddle on his head?" or "Isn't his head rather narrow and uncomfortable?" and occasionally even "Does it bother you when your legs knock together under his chin?" then "OH, you're not riding his head you say? THEN WHY ARE YOU STARING AT IT!!! Look UP for God's Sake!"
                          There are two bad habits riders get when they make a living starting colts.
                          One, the tend to ride "light", not "deep" and slightly leaning forward and tend to be very active, doing something all the time.
                          Second, they generally keep an eye on a horse's head, as it tells you so much about how the horse is feeling and can be an early warning system of things to come.

Those are hard habits to control when riding well trained horses and in performance contests.

I think this gadget could be more of a distraction than real help for many people, one more thing to keep track of.
                          How much can we multi-task while riding?

Comment

While it's rather silly at least it's not hurting the horse. I was expecting some crazy contraption forcing the horse's head down...
                            "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Comment

A nice plume of ostrich feathers does the same trick, but looks a lot spiffier.
                              My horse is a "Hare-Brained Controvert".

Comment

Originally posted by Graureiter View Post
                                That's the $600 Hermes version.

Comment

Originally posted by Graureiter View Post
                                  haha, when clicked the link first thing i thought of was WHY oh WHY did i never put a pinwheel in my horse's bridle as a kid. could have finished the picture with some streamers attached to the cheekpieces.

Comment

Originally posted by abrant View Post
                                    Having spent years on horses that wanted to travel above the bit, I wouldn't have seen the purpose... However, I now own a very forward wiggly guy who likes to go deep and be dishonest with the contact. I'm still getting used to this kind of ride so he can trick me because he feels forward and light but he's actually behind the vertical... This would help me a lot Might also stop me from crashing into the wall by the mirror because I'm looking and not riding
                                    This.^^

It also might be helpful to someone trying to re-train a horse that hides behind the contact from having been ridden excessively in draw reins. JMO, but a non-abusive aid that tells you whether your horse is on the vertical or not, is not a bad thing. OP may not need it, but I'll bet they sell more than a few of those babies.

And although it's hard to tell for sure just from the photo, but it appears that this gadget sits up above the horse's head, and would be easily visible in one's peripheral vision. IOW, you wouldn't have to look down.

Just sayin'.
                                    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                                    A life lived by example, done too soon.
                                    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

Working...
                                    X