• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How do you guys do it? and those that can, I want what you have!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you guys do it? and those that can, I want what you have!

The part of life that supports our horse habit, how do you balance it?

I try, wonderful in theory, to ride 4 days a week and get to the barn 5-6 days just to chillax and what not, but there are days when I'm so utterly exhausted, I just can't get the energy/motivation to go and ride ( I have a 5 y/o green OTTB, so I prefer to be 100%)

Some weeks, I get so busy at work, and so stressed that 1, I don't leave the office till way late, or 2, days like today I came home and took a 3 hour nap, even though I had full intent to ride today.

So how do you guys do it? Specially those that have the 40-60 salary week.... Sigh
    Posted with my Android smartphone.

Life is short.

Seriously. Life is short. If you're paying your bills, got a little cushion in the savings account, go ride your horse. Life is too short.
    True Bearing Equestrian
    St. Helena Island, SC

Comment

Originally posted by RoseBud143 View Post

I try, wonderful in theory, to ride 4 days a week and get to the barn 5-6 days just to chillax and what not, but there are days when I'm so utterly exhausted, I just can't get the energy/motivation to go and ride ( I have a 5 y/o green OTTB, so I prefer to be 100%)

Some weeks, I get so busy at work, and so stressed that 1, I don't leave the office till way late, or 2, days like today I came home and took a 3 hour nap, even though I had full intent to ride today.

So how do you guys do it? Specially those that have the 40-60 salary week.... Sigh
      I started a very similar thread a while back. I have a 40 hour/week desk job and work on a farm two of those mornings. Similar situation with green horse. I really struggle with it as well, but when it's tough, I just close my eyes and think about how time and stress seem to disappear at the barn and use that to guage whether or not that extra lack of sleep is worth the loss. The big brown eyes usually win.

Comment

I groom dogs for a living and after an 8 or 10 hour shift of wrestling uncooperative dogs and dealing with crazy people, believe me, I am more mentally and physically exhausted than pretty much anyone who works a desk job. Some days, I just have to force myself to go tack up my horse and ride. I always feel better once I do.

Comment

Psshh. All I do is workout in the am and then work 9-5 and i still don't have the energy to ride. Shoot, I almost bailed on seeing the hunger games after work tonight because it's too tiring to sit and pay attention to something. Kudos to you if you ride after work at all.
          Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
          White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by KatieSlew View Post
            I started a very similar thread a while back. I have a 40 hour/week desk job and work on a farm two of those mornings. Similar situation with green horse. I really struggle with it as well, but when it's tough, I just close my eyes and think about how time and stress seem to disappear at the barn and use that to guage whether or not that extra lack of sleep is worth the loss. The big brown eyes usually win.
            If I closed my eyes, I'm not sure how soon they would open again :-)

I am a DBA ( Practice Management and Database Administrator) most if my day is quality control maintaining the DB and reporting ... I often dream of Excel...

There are days my head and eyes are Sooo done, I have just gone to the barn and sat on the table with ny head in my hands, full corporate attire tell I could muster the energy to at least get a beer and watch my but graze lol .

They days I make myself leave work and go to the barn at a decent hour, I sometimes feel like I'm neglecting other obligations and errands ect... It's a fine line....

I'm trying this new thing, 8:30-4:30 max! At work so I have time for barn and home, but I also have to fit in 3 chiropractor appointments a week to that schedule, part if why I always tend to feel exhausted, but while nother story there....

People like my BO owner amaze me and sometime u look at her and just wonder how the hell she does it and what the hell is she in cuz I want it!

She runs a very large boarding barn with her husband, teaches, and still finds the energy to ride after all barn chores are done almost 6 days a week...

Comment

I'm a preschool special ed. teacher and I also work the after-school program in order to make sure I can make enough to feed my horse habit

I can completely sympathize with everything said here. Exhausted at the end of the day (teaching preschoolers can be rewarding but not exactly relaxing!), but then going to the barn each day, cleaning my stall, doing my chores (my gelding is at a partial care facility) and finding the energy to ride.

As tired and sore as I may be, it is a rare day when I really feel that I just cannot ride. I find that even a light walk/trot workout or a calm hack around the farm can just melt all the stresses of the day away. Getting to ride just helps me relax and turns a lot negatives of the day into positives.

Then I end up on COTH/Facebook/etc at 11:30pm telling myself "GO TO BED" so I can do it all again the next day :-)

Comment

Originally posted by RoseBud143 View Post

I hear ya loud and clear!

I too get exhausted. I've never been one to have a tremendous amount of energy/stamina so I have trouble getting to the barn too, simply because I'm too tired.

I also have a greenie so I can't just go out, hop on and hack around. Like you said, I feel like I need to be 100%.

There are many days I long for an old, bombproof schoolmaster!
                Proud Native Texan!
                owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by dreaminOTTB View Post

As tired and sore as I may be, it is a rare day when I really feel that I just cannot ride. I find that even a light walk/trot workout or a calm hack around the farm can just melt all the stresses of the day away. Getting to ride just helps me relax and turns a lot negatives of the day into positives.

Then I end up on COTH/Facebook/etc at 11:30pm telling myself "GO TO BED" so I can do it all again the next day :-)
                  This@^^^ if I could have gone to the been today and jumped on barebacj and relax, u would have in a heartbeat.... But I'd probably be on my butt lol. My old horse, I could go out there and be half asleep if I wanted, but that never felt like riding.

And ya, the coth Facebook, eBay... They don't help lol

Comment

I've just started back riding about one day a week. My horses are at home and between the other things that need doing and some heath issues I'd kind of slacked off.

One day a week is ok with me. I have a full time job and a long commute that keeps me from riding during the week. I'm not a intense rider, though. I ride for fun. I like having the ponies at home even if I ride less but work a little more. Just being with them is good.
                    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Comment

I board my mare who is not a greenie about 22 miles from where I live. I work nights and have to admit to being chronically tired. This time of year, I ride in the afternoons(go home in am, maybe run an errand or two on the way home, feed dog, take her for a walk/practice dog obedience then to bed. Get up in the afternoon(2-3pm) and head to the barn. I mostly ride for fun, so don't school rigorously, plus my mare is trained to the 9's and just needs a little ring work or a short trail ride. Some days I am tired and just stroll around the farm. In addition to riding, caring for dog and horse, I am on the board of the riding club I belong to, so a monthly meeting for that, and regular club meeting once per month. I am also the ratings chair(we do sort of a pony club inspired rating of all members if they want to participate in mounted activities), so I have to get the ratings taken care of. I am currently getting a series of accupuncture treatments for a chronic issue so once per week for that. Today I am really tired as I met my barn buddy at 1pm(so sleeping from 9-12) driving to barn, trail riding for about an hour( we took out 3 greenie horses with riders) and then home fix food for work and a little more sleep. Now at work.

Comment

My work week.

UP at 5 (I have been trying to work out for 20-30 mins at this time and eat a breakfast)
                        out the door a 6:15
                        At work for 7 (I come in and hour earlier then the rest of the office)
                        Head out if the office at 4 (rushhour driving adds 15-20 mins).
                        Stop at the barn at 5 and do the horses feed if weather is nice (have day light) I will ride for an hours.
                        Home at 6 or 7:30 if I ride.
                        in Bed at 9. (this is DH and mine time we talk for about an hour) and most nights asleep by 11.

Now on Wednesdays I have a lesson at 4:40 so leave the office at 3 to be to the barn and tacked up by 430. But this means I am at the off for 6-630 and cut my lunch in half.

We have been very slow at the office for the last few month and I have been able to work part time with had been nice, I have been able to do more around the house with those extra hours.

But for me the biggest thing is that the farm is 10 mins form home and I drive right by it going to and back from work. if I had to drive the other way I would never make it to the barn.

I have two horses and one is a young guy, I have the other leased so it makes me get out and ride. I try for 3 times a week and with the nicer weather coming I am hoping 4-5 time for sure. We don't have an indoor and in the winter (rainy season) we have to ride at the ring down the road which adds to the ride time about 45 mins.
                        Last edited by Eleanor; Mar. 30, 2012, 01:28 PM. Reason: Sorry about the spelling, coming down from having a root canal done.
                        My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Comment

I am able to do it because I have the horses I ride/show at home. I have 4 that I'm personally campaigning/training (though a total of 7 at home). I work an average 50 hour work week when you consider the emergency duty. I'm the medical director for a humane society. I drive 70 miles one way to work. Most of my days I am doing surgery but I have a lot of administrative duties as well as the multiple medical cases I manage.

In terms of work, I couldn't do it without an awesome staff of technicians. I depend on them greatly. Still there's no way to do what I do without loads of stress. My horses are my stress relief. The long drive actually helps me unwind.

By the time I get home, luckily my son has already fed the horses (oh I guess I should mention that I have 2 children too). I check all my email (usually in the hundreds), eat and head out to ride. On the days I work I can usually get 2 ridden in the evening. On the days I don't work I ride 4 and occasionally 5 (one of my kids horses may need a tune up).

I have greenie meanies as well as older, more advanced horses. I start and back my own. If I did not have a lighted arena I couldn't get mine ridden as often as I do. I try to ride everyone at least 4 days a week and there is usually one I'm more focused on each week so I'll ride that one 5 days and then rotate. I believe in planning out the riding and training schedule of my horses. I recognize the fact that life is short so I prioritize my riding (fortunately my husband isn't too concerned about how I keep the house, helps with laundry, etc) and don't get much sleep. There are times when the lack of sleep catches up with me; but, I still seem to manage to advance my horses, juggle the workload and get up each morning to do it all again. Oh, and I'm on call 24/7.

The horses I couldn't do without a supportive family. I am grateful that they recognize how important it is for me to ride. It helps that my kids ride too (my daughter is currrently a working student back east for a large dressage barn). So obviously for me, it's (my life in general) a team approach. I consider myself VERY lucky to be able to do it all.
                          Last edited by exvet; Mar. 30, 2012, 10:34 AM.
                          Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

I get tired, too. I work a minimum of a 45 hour work week with no flexibility. I attend school until 10:30 p.m. two nights a week. I have a crappy commute. And then another crappy commute to the barn. No real advice (besides if you get home, don't sit down) but plenty of sympathy.
                            ---
                            They're small hearts.

Comment

I have a 40 hour work week. I have a 50 min commute one way, I get home around 5:15, feed dogs, eat some dinner and go to the barn every night, get home around 9, relax for an hour and go to bed. I don't plan anything during the week because my horses (3) and riding comes first. My SO comes with me every night and helps train, groom whatever. On the weekends I ride in the morning or after dinner. Once my horses are worked then I can do other things, clean the house, get groceries. They each get 1 day off a week. My kids are grown so my horses come before anything else. Show season kicked off beginning of this month so getting ready for each show is priority. I go to work every day just so I can have my horses. There are days where I am exhausted, but I go out to the barn anyways, once I am there and see my boys it makes me feel much better!

I am a planner so everything gets done at home, house is always clean, dogs taken care of and other chores completed. It helps to have a horsey SO - he understands the way I am and excepts it.

Comment

Work 45-50 hours a week, have two small children, and a hubby that works 45-50 hours a week.

I changed jobs a while back - higher salary didn't hurt but the main bonus was commute time cut more than half.

Moved the beasties much closer to home- no longer have a 25 minute drive to the barn. I don't have all the amenities at the new place that I'd like, but sacrifices, sacrifices.

I haven't shown since before my pregnancies though one horse campaigned. I'm going to get back in there, but for now it is what it is.

Sold my last green bean for a couple of different reasons, but looking back there's an extra perk: it's nice to have horses that know their job and don't need to be ridden every day.

Currently I ride about 4 times a week.

Comment

I have a hard time with the same thing, and love to hear how other people budget their time. I have sort of "given" myself 3 nights a week where I can do whatever I want. I've told family to leave a message if they have to call, I won't be answering the phone on Mon, Wed., or Fri. nights. Last Wednesday, for example, I arrived home at 5:15, let the dog out, changed clothes and grabbed a glass of milk, and was out in the pasture on a horse by 5:30. I rode until about 6:15. Granted, it was not a "serious" ride....just walk/trot riding bareback on my mare, Stella. But we had alot of fun, and it helps me to destress alot. There are days when I am too tired. Sometimes I force myself to go ride, and sometimes I don't. It would be a huge help if I could afford an indoor arena, so I could get rainy day rides in. I do have a light in my round pen, so COULD ride after dark if necessary.

Comment

Luckily, even though I am busy at work, I manage to avoid too much overtime (actually if my company see's you doing a lot of OT every week, it's time to get you help and hire another person! )

Anyway, we work 9 hrs and then get every 2nd Friday off, so I decided to start at 6:30am only take a 1/2 lunch so I can leave at 4pm. That way I can be at the barn by 5:30 riding My horse gets Wednesdays off and sometimes a weekend day if I'm going away, but generally she is ridden 6x per week. Luckily my barn is open until 9pm so it leaves plenty of time to get there after work to ride and lessons are scheduled in evenings to make it easier too (as well as Saturdays).
                                    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Comment

I'm a lawyer, and for the last 6 weeks I've been working about 75 hours per week. I fit in riding by doing it first thing in the morning. If I let it wait until the evening, there is a 50/50 chance I won't get there at all. By getting up early, I can be sure that my horse works 6 days per week most of the time.

Comment

I work 35-40 hours per week, that doesn't include work I need to take home, no flexibilty in my schedule as far as my hours.
                                        In order to ride during the week I must ride immediately after work before hubby gets home with our 18mnth old baby. When I get home from the barn I am very busy feeding her dinner, playing with her and getting her ready for bed while my husband gets an hour to exercise or run. Then I make dinner for us, do laundry etc... We get her to bed by 7:30 or so. By 8pm I am so exhausted that I pretty much sit on the couch and try to answer emails etc.. but usually end up falling asleep so I hear ya on the exhaustion factor. My day starts at 4:45am M-F so that doesn't help either .

My commute to work is about 40 min each way but luckily the barn is literally 1.5 miles from my house. I LOVE that, it has made life much easier. I used to drive another 25 min each way to the barn. If my horse wasn't so close I don't think I would be able to ride as much as I do with a young child.
                                        Generally I ride 4 weekdays and 1-2 weekend days. In order to have the energy to ride I have to stop home, let the dog out, get changed and leave immediately. I cannot sit down. That is key. Keep moving
                                        I have about 2 hrs from the time I pull in the driveway to the time I need to be back home to help my husband with our daughter to get to the barn, ride and be back.

As far as running errands etc.. I try to set aside one week day to handle that after work. If I have errands to run that usually means I cannot ride too.
                                        Last edited by LookinSouth; Mar. 31, 2012, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X