Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"THE TRUCK IS COMING!!!" Threads. Where are they?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "THE TRUCK IS COMING!!!" Threads. Where are they?

I was a CoTH lurker years ago, waaaay before I registered (I was a horseless dreamer, and not savvy enough to have anything useful to add), and I remember seeing all kinds of threads from rescue groups raising money on CoTH to get horses (mainly OTTB's) off the kill truck. What happened to them? Are the rescues still active?
    www.trying2event.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/UltimateStormLARigsby

Oooh boy... well... to summarize...

Such threads are no longer allowed here, one of the rescues doing it out west has developed a very shady reputation, along with closing down and popping back up under new names (but seems it may be some sort of scam). The rescue doing it in PA has been subject of some intense debate on here and apparently lots of people think it is shady. And the Camelot effort is still going strong, but not here, more on facebook.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

Maybe because there are just too many now.

Comment

There were a lot of problems with the threads. Rescues turned out to not really be rescues, horses out of the kill pen at one auction to turn up at another auction and people soliciting money privately - as in not through a rescue. There was also a lot of speculation as to where the horses actually went. No one really knew if they went to horse knowledgeable homes or not. No one knew if the horses were really good horses either. What if they went to a novice horse person because they were billed as 'babysitter' by someone who thought the horse had a 'kind eye' and turns out it had a nasty buck?

To much speculation, to many unknowns and a lot of threads were not through organized, reputable rescues.

I have been to New Holland horse auction and bought two horses from there. I would NEVER recommend someone buying a horse from an auction without two things: 1)someone knowledgeable of the people at the auction, 2) going there in person to actually see the horse and get at least a little feel for their personality.

Comment

Shrug. Plenty of horses to save in most peoples backyards. I think people are coming to realize that.
          "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
          ---
          The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

They now post on CL, at least out here in WA.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/grd/2927586060.html
            Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by EqTrainer View Post
              Shrug. Plenty of horses to save in most peoples backyards.
              True that.
              "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

I rescue OTTB's out of the feedlot, but I am not a rescue, and I do not solicit money or cry "the truck is coming!" I do it as a hobby. I don't buy from auctions and I don't deal with the rescues mentioned above. There are too many other horses out there in peoples backyards and such to have to deal with these shady so called rescues.

Some of my friends follow Camelot and I tell them to google them before buying. Actually a friend of mine just bought a mare she use to own off one of them. They were saying save or she is going to slaughter. She called and they said don't worry she isn't going but she ended up buying her back anyways.
                Derby Lyn Farms Website

Derby Lyn Farms on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by caffeinated View Post
                  Oooh boy... well... to summarize...

Such threads are no longer allowed here, one of the rescues doing it out west has developed a very shady reputation, along with closing down and popping back up under new names (but seems it may be some sort of scam). The rescue doing it in PA has been subject of some intense debate on here and apparently lots of people think it is shady. And the Camelot effort is still going strong, but not here, more on facebook.
                  Pretty much this. I do remember the multitude of threads and part of what happened is people looked around and said that we are saving these horses purely in order that the feedlot buyer can purchase yet more horses to either ship to slaughter or "sell" via the rescue route. In either case it was more "sales" than "rescue".
                  Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                  Incredible Invisible

Comment

Here is what happened to one of them. Her place of choice to raise funds and where she was enabled the most was ABR.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...Hidden+Meadows
                    "We, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit." JFK

Comment

As an aside, whatever happened to the rescue in Idaho that posted all over the Alex Brown forum. Odd woman that ran it, let the horses in the house and had no running water or power. The horses lived off of "COOKIES" and she kept acquiring more and more.

Does that ring any bells? I was wondering whatever came of that the other day.
                      It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Comment

Working...
                      X