Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Hart_Barn 1

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head Desk - Two new "trainers" in town

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Desk - Two new "trainers" in town

I get a FB message yesterday from a woman who had wanted me to train her horse a few months ago. I had no openings so she went to another "trainer" and it is not working out!

Yes I saw the ads for both the "new trainers" in the area. Here's some clues for you:

If they are in HS or just out of HS and had success in 4H does not = trainer. These young people could not even get their leads right(and did not even know they were on the wrong lead) a year ago.

If they ALWAYS wear their big honking bling spurs even to go to put gas in their parents truck they are probably not much of a trainer - they just want attention. Most of us care enough about our equipment - even our spurs to not wear them down the street or while driving.

If they are renting a barn or must come to you because they can not a. teach where they board or 2. or two teach at the barn there horses are in TRAINING at or 3. do not have a "training facility" RUN AWAY They are not a a trainer!

If they have only taken lessons and have not apprenticed with a TRAINER or if they have never broke and showed a horse on their own WHY would you allow them to start your horse? Is your horse a crash test dummy?

GET REFERENCES! Go watch them ride a horse they are training for someone else. Show up at their place when they are not expecting you. If every movement is spur & jerk why be stunned that your horse is not doing well. And for God's sake do not be "impressed" with coarse or "got rough on a horse" speech = ARGHHHH WHY do people think that is "cool"???

OK off my soap box - thank you
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

I know the feeling. I'm just a lower level trainer. Can start youngsters or restart OTTB etc, install basic flat work and small jumps and teach beginners - intermediate, etc.

In the last year or so a person near me started up a "training stable".... about six months beforehand came to me for a couple lessons. Didn't know her diagonals, horse was always hollow.

Taking a dead broke horse and round penning it doesn't make you a trainer.
    2016 RRP Makeover Competitor www.EnviousBid.com

Comment

Originally posted by Woodland View Post
      I get a FB message yesterday from a woman who had wanted me to train her horse a few months ago. I had no openings so she went to another "trainer" and it is not working out!

Yes I saw the ads for both the "new trainers" in the area. Here's some clues for you:

If they are in HS or just out of HS and had success in 4H does not = trainer. These young people could not even get their leads right(and did not even know they were on the wrong lead) a year ago.

If they ALWAYS wear their big honking bling spurs even to go to put gas in their parents truck they are probably not much of a trainer - they just want attention. Most of us care enough about our equipment - even our spurs to not wear them down the street or while driving.

If they are renting a barn or must come to you because they can not a. teach where they board or 2. or two teach at the barn there horses are in TRAINING at or 3. do not have a "training facility" RUN AWAY They are not a a trainer!

If they have only taken lessons and have not apprenticed with a TRAINER or if they have never broke and showed a horse on their own WHY would you allow them to start your horse? Is your horse a crash test dummy?

GET REFERENCES! Go watch them ride a horse they are training for someone else. Show up at their place when they are not expecting you. If every movement is spur & jerk why be stunned that your horse is not doing well. And for God's sake do not be "impressed" with coarse or "got rough on a horse" speech = ARGHHHH WHY do people think that is "cool"???

OK off my soap box - thank you
      You sure you're not local to me?? Sounds sort of familiar.

Actually, around here, people wear their spurs all the time, never take them off. Pull up to the restaurant with truck and trailer, go in to eat, don't take spurs off. Shoot, people even take their firearms into the restaurant and no one bats an eye. Usually, though, the spurs are custom jobs, not off the rack.

There used to be one girl, about 150 miles from me, who started a training biz, and although she hadn't shown or worked with a trainer, she sure could start a colt. She caught flak from all the big names in these parts and people actually went undercover to her place to out her. Turned out, she was so talented with horses, she got rave reviews from some of the snarkiest of old bats. She did catch a bit of h*ll because she was undercutting the big barns pricewise, but she said in her ads, times were tough and she wanted everyone to be able to get their colts ridden.

Then again, apprenticing with a trainer doesn't mean you know what you're doing all the time either. Just looka the big names who've been outed for abusive training and they had 'interns' who will probably mimic them.
      GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

You should see some of the "trainers" who have applied for jobs here We've had quite a few who "could break horses." We stick them on my super sweet, but very sensitive gelding just to see what they do. Because he is so bouncy, half the time they end up grabbing the horn to hang on... at a trot!

Comment

Same around here for folks wearing their spurs everywhere...usually, though
          the jeans are dusty and the boots well worn. In other words, they are not
          fashion accessories. The guys usually fill out their jeans quite nicely.....

Comment

Our child care provider had a relative visiting when I was picking up the kids one day. He was wearing a pair of pointy rowels on his heels. He thought he was pretty cool, that is, until he caught them in the kitchen rug and fell flat on his face. I don't believe I have ever laughed longer or harder then that.
            Last edited by My Two Cents; Mar. 28, 2012, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I am in an area where most "trainers" like the one the OP is talking about don't stand a chance, however where I used to live, they were a dime a dozen. I just laughed and knew they would be out of business is a year or two.

ETA: Yes, I love the ones who wander town in their roweled, blinged out western spurs. Crack me up!

Comment

Aw, crap, I'm totally guilty of wearing my spurs home after I ride. While driving. Down the street. Wherever. Honestly, I tend to lose them so on my person is better than on the floor of my vehicle or in my tack room. But I don't make any claims about my training ability and they aren't blinged, so maybe I'm okay.
                ---
                They're small hearts.

Comment

You had me until this. I am a mobile trainer within a few miles of my home town simple because a lot of people in the area HAVE horse property and are set up with a round pen or arena but don't really have the extra $500 to pay for training and boarding.

I was able to find a new BO who doesn't have an on-site trainer who needs a young TB worked with. Why would I require her to move her horse from her own boarding facility to mine, just because I'm a trainer? I have no problems driving the seven minutes to her humble but nicely operated and set up boarding facility to work with her horse, where she can watch from time to time, and also gain exposure to her boarding clients. We are talking about advertising me as her on-site trainer after I finish working with this horse, as a sort of trial run, which I have no problems with. If I was in her shoes, I'd want to make damn sure I was happy with a trainer before advertising them and helping them gain clients!

I'm just starting out as a trainer, and don't have my own horse facilities. My horse is boarded at our HOA barn, and it's currently full, so I wouldn't be able to bring a horse in for 30 or 60 days even if I wanted to. Does this make me less of a trainer?

ETA - I've never done a working student or intern position either. I, like another poster, am a LL trainer. I can start horses, put a nice handle on difficult ones, give lessons to those looking to start riding or improve their riding, and also consult with owners who are having a hard time with their horses. I don't claim to be a "student of BNT" or to being an UL trainer. In my area, there are plenty of trainers who people looking for dressage lessons or UL western riding can go to. I want to be able to help people who just want a little more grasp on horses and riding, and I want to make it affordable. I have ridden and taken lessons on countless horses of different breeds, and learned A LOT from every trainer I've met.

BUT...I don't wear blinged out spurs. Therefor...I am exempt.
                  Last edited by runNjump86; Mar. 28, 2012, 03:01 PM. Reason: more info
                  runnjump86 Instagram

Horse Junkies United guest blogger

Comment

Are you saying wearing spurs all the time ISN'T cool?!?!?

I wish I knew that before I bought these bad boys.

On an unrelated note, would those be legal in the hunter ring???
                    LEGADO DE RIOS

Comment

I REALLY don't understand this part:

I know a couple of excellent trainers who specifically build their business model around coming to you, and are doing well with it.

Just saw runNjump86's post. FULLY agree. And I know a couple of truly terrible trainers who think that having a facility makes them a real trainer!
                      "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by lachevaline View Post
                        Are you saying wearing spurs all the time ISN'T cool?!?!?

I wish I knew that before I bought these bad boys.

On an unrelated note, would those be legal in the hunter ring???
                        Actually my barrel racing DD has those exact spurs - LOL! She would NEVER wear them anywhere but when she is racing.

Comment

• Original Poster

Maybe i should clarify - If the person has their horses in training with another trainer because they are unable to train their own horses, and that trainer has said "you may not train in my barn or bring clients in because you are not ready to be a trainer" Therefore they are driving place to place or renting a stall here or there they may not have enough experience to be a trainer yet.

Look everyone has to start somewhere, I did, you may have as well. I was a "traveling trainer" once upon a time But horse owners need to be proactive and check references, ask questions, watch them ride a horse that someone has in training with them already, heck watch them ride their own horse. If you do not do these things, do not be stunned when your horses brains are fried from spur & jerk horsemanship!

Comment

This is NOT a new thing. Lots and lots of wannabes and neverwases out there.

Comment

Why is renting a barn bad?

I rent a pretty nice facility and train from there. I don't think it makes me any less of a trainer.
                              Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
                              Bernard M. Baruch

Comment

Caveat Emptor

Good old 'let the buyer beware'. Our pretty laissez faire approach to training and instruction allows anyone who can swing a leg over a horse hang out a shingle as a "trainer". If you have friends that express interest in having horses with these two, present your case that they may end up spending more money with having to send the horse to a more expensive trainer after spending money on the cheaper route.

I rankled a bit at the lack of facility part too. A fine facility or the money to have one does not a great trainer make. There are plenty of people who couldn't find their heiney with both hands that have spreads that could grace a magazine, doesn't mean they can ride their way out of a wet paper bag.
                                Leap, and the net will appear

Comment

If I have been riding and plan in riding again after I run some errands like post office, bank, gas, I will go in boots and breeches and yes, sometimes spurs if I forget to take them off!

Comment

I rankled a bit at the lack of facility part too. A fine facility or the money to have one does not a great trainer make.
                                    This is true. My trainer - who rides at the upper levels - rents a barn. A very nice barn, but it's still rented. She was short listed for the Olympics. I am pretty sure she is a trainer.
                                    ---
                                    They're small hearts.

Comment

Maybe i should clarify - If the person has their horses in training with another trainer because they are unable to train their own horses, and that trainer has said "you may not train in my barn or bring clients in because you are not ready to be a trainer" Therefore they are driving place to place or renting a stall here or there they may not have enough experience to be a trainer yet.
                                      Say what? It sounds like you have a personal issue with a unique situation (meaning a specific individual). If a trainer is absolutely 100% competent at teaching riders, developing young horses, etc...but commits the sin of having their own upper level/open-level horse in training with a 'fancier' trainer with a bigger skillset- they themselves shouldn't be training? Really? Why not? I'd rather a trainer recognize that they aren't the best resource for passage/piaffe, or tuning their super nice reiner, or or or...knowing that their own skillset is not there yet- that doesn't mean that person can't do a jam-up job with their own students and training horses for different skills.

Look everyone has to start somewhere, I did, you may have as well. I was a "traveling trainer" once upon a time But horse owners need to be proactive and check references, ask questions, watch them ride a horse that someone has in training with them already, heck watch them ride their own horse. If you do not do these things, do not be stunned when your horses brains are fried from spur & jerk horsemanship!
                                      All of that is true regardless of whether one's trainer has a mortgage on their own farm or not. What a weirdly defining line

Comment

My personal vent with driving and I have seen it often

Went to a clinic on driving a couple of years ago, and there was a newbe driver (first time driving) but an experienced rider. A month later, I noticed that she added driving to her long list of disciplines she trained/gave lessons for.

Recently a friend of mine began advertising on FB that she trained driving horses as well as gave lessons. She started driving one year ago...in November, she called me because she couldn't figure out how to harness on a new horse (harness needed to be adjusted). Has had maybe three lessons total herself.

for some reason people think that if they have ridden a lot and then drive once or twice, they are qualified to teach others. This is like thinking that a western pleasure person could take a lesson in dressage and be qualified to teach dressage. Except that when things go wrong in driving, the skill set needed is completely different, so it is more dangerous.

I just have to grit my teeth. My saying anything will just provoke a defensive attitude as well as one lost local horse driving friend and networking associate (for which there are very few in the local area). But she is smart women and maybe, she will learn more and work her way into being a qualified instructor and trainer (yes, she evidently can now (professionally) train other people's horses to drive).

Driving is easy to "learn" how to steer and stop (just like riding), but it takes years to build the skill set to know how to harness properly, what to do in an emergency, the fine craft of reins-(lines)-manship, etc, how to handle traffic, what to do if harness breaks, let alone all the disciplines like hitch, CDEs, pleasure, dressage, etc.

But people don't know what they don't know and you can't tell them that. You just hope that the people taking these lessons, figure out fast that they want a better quality instructor...and that nothing bad happens in the meantime.

If I am approached by someone for my opinion on this person's ability to teach driving, I will tactfully give it. Otherwise, I MYOB.
                                        Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
                                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Comment

Working...
                                        X