Sport Horse Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

JR-1

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Saw a Horse Breed I Hadn't Heard of Before

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Saw a Horse Breed I Hadn't Heard of Before

This past weekend I was doing one of my "Ride to Music" clinics. The last ride of the day was a teenage girl. I asked her, as I do all riders, what breed her horse was. She said, "Canadian Horse". I had never heard of the breed! He was quite the big powerful guy and the powerful dramatic music at the trot, walk, and canter that "fit" him blew everyone away as he was moving to it!

So, in case you have too haven't heard of the "Canadian Horse", here is a link to the breed with photos. Anyone else here have one?

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/h...dian/index.htm
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Thank you very much for this info, Mike! The breed description is a lot like a description of the Morgan, so one can see the influence!

Comment

Having seen Canadians & Morgans side by side, they are similar in many ways.

I don't own one, but there have been some boarded at barns where I boarded in the past. I find the naming conventions of the breed intriguing.

Comment

I've seen lots of Canadians. They're nice, all around horses for the most part. I'm in Canada though, so that probably helps

Comment

" how can you not have heard of Canadians? They're beautiful horses!!

And our National breed .

They could maybe considered like an old style morgan, but they've got a good weight to them.
          "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
          Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
          Need You Now Equine

Comment

There's a couple who have ridden some competitive trail rides I was on with Canadians... lovely horses! actually, when the time comes to look for a young successor to my mare (Andalusian/ASB cross ), I would absolutely consider one.

Comment

The Rider Critique clinic in Dressage Today had a Canadian in it this month. Even the writer critiquing the photos hadn't heard of them before.
              The Frugal Foxhunter

Comment

That is so strange I can see not knowing about them because they aren't common in the US. But as they are thought to be the precursor to the morgan I am surprised more people don't know 'of' them.

Comment

Originally posted by Aven View Post
                  But as they are thought to be the precursor to the morgan I am surprised more people don't know 'of' them.
                  They also contributed to the American Saddlebred and more particularly to the Tennessee Walking Horses, and Standardbreds.

Comment

Yes they are indeed our National Breed of Horse in Canada

Here is a link to the Canadian Horse Website

http://www.lechevalcanadien.ca/indexen.htm

Very versatile horses and lovely to watch in action! I am quite suprised more people are not aware of them either. Very popular in Quebec (where they originated over a hundred years ago) and breeders right across North America.

Comment

My friend owns two currently and has owned a total of four. They are very nice horses, though all of hers have been a bit drafty - hers have all been air ferns as well. Overweight on no grain, just grass.

I know someone else that bought a Canadian in foal and the resulting gelding is training in dressage right now (he's 5 so no show record yet).

She also owns a Canadian/TB cross she bred for herself. He has nice gaits and is not as heavy as his father, but still substantial.

As far as 'hardy' goes...he horses are routinely found out in the pasture in a blizzard, just hanging out. She had a problem when she had the TB mare (dam of gelding), in that the mare would want to be with the herd but was not hardy enough to just hang out with the other horses. The only horse she ever blanketed was that mare.

Comment

As a side note, we also have the Newfoundland pony
                        http://www.newfoundlandpony.com/about_pony/
                        Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
                        Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
                        http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Comment

I've seen a few, and had friends who own them (heck, Felix has 2 half Canadian offspring.... yes, Fjord x TB x Canadian....).

The one my friend owned was a 3rd level dressage horse. They're lovely - but not for me
                          www.felixfjord.blogspot.com

Comment

They are my favorite breed. I started by helping an older mentor friend of mine rescue them from the urine line just across the border in quebec in the 70's. I have had one or a part breed ever since. Here is a pic of the mare I have now. I had her mom and her grandmom too. I only started riding her because of spine issues(mine) three yrs ago. Not many horses can you just saddle up, get on, and start riding. This is just what I did. She had a bit of driving around with long reins, longing, carrying children around while being led, through her life but had never taken anyone for a ride. She will be 17 in May. She is a real sweetheart for sure. http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...pring09009.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...cho/echo13.jpg

Comment

I've not seen one in person, but have some familiarity w/the breed because I Morgans. it makes sense that the two breeds have similarities since, back in the formative days, there was horse traffic across the border of Canada & New England. I am sure that each nascent breed informed the other.
                              They are lovely horses & I am happy to see interest in them.
                              There is no such thing as "bad" horsemanship or "good" horsemanship. There is simply Horsemanship or the absence thereof.

www.oldmorgans.blogspot.com

Comment

Actually the only Canadian classes in new england will be in July at the Topsfield MA fairgrounds. There is a forum one can join called New England Cheval Canadien for owners, lovers, breeders, show ppl, whoever loves them, which had a lot of info. The breed I believe was down to only 400 horses in the 70's, when the canadian gov brought about changes. It has been a while and I am a bit foggy as to exactly what. I do believe they are still considered endangered though, or some similar wording. I think there were originally 26 of them that came over from France somewhere in the late 1600's if my memory serves me at all correct.

Comment

Originally posted by cherham View Post
                                  Yes they are indeed our National Breed of Horse in Canada

Here is a link to the Canadian Horse Website

http://www.lechevalcanadien.ca/indexen.htm

Very versatile horses and lovely to watch in action! I am quite suprised more people are not aware of them either. Very popular in Quebec (where they originated over a hundred years ago) and breeders right across North America.
                                  I am quite sure king louis XIV sent 26 of them to Quebec(New france) in the late 1600's, so more than 300 yrs ago.

Comment

They are very wonderful, hardy, versatile little horses. I have a few friends who own them and had been looking to get one when I was horse shopping. At one point, I Believe they were considered endangered.

This is a good read which displays their attitude quite well and gives a really good history of the breed:

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Horse-I...2283998&sr=8-2

Comment

Originally posted by DeeThbd View Post
                                      As a side note, we also have the Newfoundland pony
                                      http://www.newfoundlandpony.com/about_pony/

NICE ponies! They look good and sturdy!
                                      I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

Oh very sturdy, some ride like tanks!! Im riding one who can pass for a perchron
                                        Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
                                        www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

Comment

Working...
                                        X