• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Walkers/Fox Trotters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walkers/Fox Trotters

For those who know these breeds - what are the differences/qualities?
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

It's ehow, lol, but the info seems solid. I have MFT and have ridden TWH. I much prefer the MFT but I highly enjoyed the TWH I leased back in the day.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8530550_dif...n-twh-mft.html

TWH Gaits

The Tennessee walking horse performs the canter, flat foot walk and running walk. The running walk is a natural, inherited gait exclusive to this breed. Variations of the running walk include the rack, single foot walk and stepping pace, all of which make smooth, undemanding trail riding gaits. The TWH can flat foot walk at four to seven miles per hour. It has the ability to perform the running walk, which is a four-beat lateral gait at eight to ten miles per hour.

TWH Description

The temperament of a Tennessee walking horse is calm, docile and social. It has a willingness to please its owners, has a big heart and is often referred to as the "gentlemen of horses." The TWH can adapt well to cutting, reining, jumping and driving. It is highly successful in competing in English and western sporting events, and loves to perform. Tennessee walking horses are excellent prospects for new and experienced riders, senior citizens, and those who have fairly significant back problems. It is often used in riding programs for the handicapped.

MFT Gaits

The MFT has three natural gaits, which include a flat foot walk, a free flowing canter and the smooth fox trot, characteristic of its namesake. Although not a high stepping horse, the Missouri fox trotter is a remarkably surefooted one. Because of its exceptionally smooth diagonal gait, riding this breed is more comfortable. The MFT has the ability to sustain its smooth gait for longer periods of time than other gaited breeds. The Missouri fox trotter is recognized for its grace. It performs a consistent gait, while carrying a relaxed, yet poised elevation of its tail and head, while gently nodding its head as it moves forward.

MFT Description

The temperament of the Missouri fox trotter is quiet, gentle and confident, with a willing attitude. The MFT displays outstanding skill in pleasure and endurance riding. Because of their surefootedness and ability to maintain a smooth gait for long periods of time, they are often used for extensive trail riding in mountainous territory, and by ranchers because of their intelligence, adaptability and tremendous versatility. It successfully competes in the show ring for gaited events and rodeo. The MFT is suitable for children, beginners and experienced riders.

Read more: The Difference Between TWH & MFT | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8530550_dif...#ixzz1oj6A2snz
    K-N-S Farm
    Daily Goat Videos & Pictures
    Website | Facebook | Youtube

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks -

I hasten to add, in case my horse is reading this, that I have two nice horses and am not thinking of replacing them any time soon.

Eventually, though, I may need a smaller, more comfortable, quiet horse ...
      when I find the 17 handers too hard to get off.

Is the MFT larger than the TWH? Sounds like the MFT would be more of the trail horse for me. I don't think I have seen one up here.

I know in New Orleans, the carriage horses are mules bred from TWH's because they handle the heat better than horses.

Comment

What is the difference between foxtrot and running walk? Ive seen TWH (being in KY you cant avoid em) but never sa w a MFT.
        “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Comment

The MFT tends to be smaller than the TWH. I have a MFT and I have ridden countless others and, to be honest, I don't like most of them. They are a good size for trail riding but they tend to be a little hotter than the TWH and they seem to go lame more frequently. That's at least my experience with them. I won't have another one.

Comment

The rocky mountain horses are a nice smaller trailhorse type. If you can get unconfused by the umpty nine "real" registries and the whole chocolate dapple flaxen mane and tail thing they aren't a bad horse and have a nice comfy gait. If you go look try to find one that's not one of the popular colors, unless you are dying for that color. It'll be cheaper and just as good.
            Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
            Incredible Invisible

Comment

Spanish Mustangs are smaller and sometimes gaited also and they are phenomenal trail horses. They also can often be competitive in endurance. I actually have a gaited reg. SM gelding now on my farm. He's a lovely ride.

I trim and work with both breeds you asked about. I'd say the walkers tend to be more narrow/tall and the foxtrotters more solid and chunky built. The foxtrotters I trim are mid 15 hand range..not "small" for trail horses but more midsized. Both breeds tend to be quiet and easy going and have typically got good feet.

Comment

My MFT are indeed on the smaller side, but they are not "hot" in any sense of the word at all. None of the ones I have handled have been. And all of them had excellent feet.

But of course, I imagine that good breeding plays into that as well, like with ALL horse breeds.

Hopefully you can find some good videos illustrating the foxtrot vs the running walk, but the BEST thing you can do is go out and find a TWH to ride and a MFT to ride...and then go ride a Paso Fino, or a Peruvian Paso, and Kentucky Mountain Horse, heck even an Icelandic if you like!

Everyone has their own preferences to which gait they like, and some don't like them at all.
                K-N-S Farm

Comment

Over the past 15 years we've had owned around 15 gaited horses, TWH's, Fox Trotters, Spotted Saddle horses and Peruvian Paso's!

We currently have a Fox Trotter and a Peruvian Paso.

We use our horses strictly for trail riding.

We've found the Fox Trotters tend to be more naturally gaited. I love the natural TWH's BUT none of the TWH we have owned would gait without a LOT of work, and believe me, we've owned several. You had to "ride" them, like you do a Dressage horse. To get anything but a pace out of most TWH's, they have to be well between your hand and your leg, light in the front with their weight back on their hindquarters.

That's why you see so many people riding even the flat shod, TWH pleasure/trail horses in long shanked bits!

I don't know about you, but when I trail ride I want to sit back, relax, hold the reins in one hand and not have to 'work'!

We've never ridden a Fox Trotter that didn't have a smooth gait of some kind. We've met a couple of 'hot' Fox Trotters but the majority have been very level headed with great personalities.

We also love the Peruvian Pasos, that is what I ride now and she is SMOOTH, has a cute little lope and is a really lovey, dovey horse which I want.

My husband loves his Fox Trotter and wouldn't part with her!

We've also ridden and spent time with Rocky Mountain Horses (a good friend breeds/trains/ them). The ones we've met were NOT people friendly and honestly I didn't think they gaited worth a darn!

I would recommend a Fox Trotter to anyone wanting a good gaited horse that is easy to ride, gaits without gimmicks and is the type of horse that will bond with you.

I think the TWH are friendly and loving, my issue with them is the lack of consistency in their gaits. Most end up pacing unless you really work with them.

The Peruvian's are great horses, some are fiery but mine is not, you can find them from one end of the temperament spectrum to the other. They all seem to have wonderful, natural gaits and they love people.

Just my 2 cents worth.
                  Proud Native Texan!
                  owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!

Comment

• Original Poster

Again, thanks for the input. It would be pretty hard to find one to ride up here to test the difference, though TWH's are more common.

Q: Do they canter well enough. I just trail ride, but I do like to have a smart moving horse that can get there, canter and even jump logs. (ex field hunter and eventer with only a somewhat decreased need for speed!)

Comment

They have a lovely canter. One of my mares I would canter all day long if I could, it is wonderful.
                      Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Comment

Yes, the Fox Trotters have great canters, as do the Peruvian's. My husband LOVES to go 'fast' and he lopes his Fox Trotter all over the place! And she'll jump things for him.

Spotted Saddle Horses are also a great breed, we had a SSH that was a wonderful jumper and really enjoyed it. They have a nice little gait and canter as well.
                        Proud Native Texan!
                        owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!

Comment

I forgot to mention that I LOVE Rocky Mountain horses. I have never ridden a bad one. I think they gait just fine. All of the Foxtrotters I have ridden came from Missouri and I have a feeling they may have been show ring rejects, which may be why they are bred hot.

My favorite trail horse of all time was a Foxtrotter/Standardbred cross. He was very levelheaded, friendly, would go whenever you asked and sound. However, he was on the big side for a ladies' trail horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

Perhaps there is something in my name??

I do wonder if they would be too small for me as I am 5'10"...well, I was once.

I do know, though, tht the day will come when I need to step down a bit from my 17 hh things - and the fact the MFT's have a lovely canter and will jump is all good for me.

Mainly, am just interested in them and the differences between them and TWH's.

Comment

To be honest...my mare canters like a drunken camel. LOL

But it's not a breed thing, the others I rode had lovely smooth canters.
                              K-N-S Farm

Comment

Originally posted by ReSomething View Post
                                The rocky mountain horses are a nice smaller trailhorse type. If you can get unconfused by the umpty nine "real" registries and the whole chocolate dapple flaxen mane and tail thing they aren't a bad horse and have a nice comfy gait. If you go look try to find one that's not one of the popular colors, unless you are dying for that color. It'll be cheaper and just as good.
                                can you describe their gaits? i have a kentucky mountain saddle horse who i'm told is a buckskin version of the rocky mountain horse.
                                i don't know if that's accurate. do you?
                                i'm just starting to ride her and am dying to learn more about her unique movement.

Comment

If you are interested in gaited horses you need to ride some. I've only ever ridden a MFT. I have ridden a few. A few I have hated and wouldn't get back on because their gait was horrible and hurt my back and there are others that I would have stolen if I could have because they were so smooth you could have carried a full glass of water and not spilled a drop. One of mine is pacey, the other gaits nicely but she is hot, and really only gives you a great gait when she is mad that you won't let her go.

MFT's are great horses. They can do it all if you want them to, they are very versatile.

BUt I would suggest riding as many gaited horses as you can before making your decision.

Comment

Around 12 mins they start talking about gait for MFT's
                                    http://video.optv.org/video/1391301704/
                                    They talk again about gait around 18 mins.

Comment

We have had both, right now a MFT that will be here until the day he dies.

I like to think of the differnce in gait is that a TWH walks in the back and trots in the front. The MFT walks in the front and trots in the back. They are a little bouncy in the back but not rough at all.

I like the build of most MFTs better, a bit wider and more like a stock horse. Not a problem getting a saddle that fits well.

Ours has a fantastic canter, super floaty and just fun to ride.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDeere View Post
                                        What is the difference between foxtrot and running walk? Ive seen TWH (being in KY you cant avoid em) but never sa w a MFT.
                                        It's a matter of footfall and suspension. In rough terms, in a fox trot, the front feet "walk" and the hind feet "trot". The suspension is in the rear. In a running walk, the front feet "trot" and the hind feet "walk". The suspension is in the front.

If I were looking for a small gaited horse, I would be looking for a Paso Fino, natural gaited Morgan (yes there is such a thing), Icelandic or Rocky Mountain horse in that order. I've never ridden an Icelandic or Rocky Mtn horse. My experience with Pasos and Morgans is that they are very "cushy". Heck, the Morgans are even nice and cushy when they trot.
                                        ::I do not understand your specific kind of crazy, but I do admire your total commitment to it::

Comment

Working...
                                        X