• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I get impatient. And I turn into a jerk.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I get impatient. And I turn into a jerk.

With my horse.

I hate that I do it. I hate that I can't have a good ride where I'm content with whatever small victories he has. I hate that I have such high expectations for him.

I feel, every time, like pulling him into a frame with my hands. He opens his mouth in protest, but I keep doing it. I know he knows how to have contact..so why isn't he?

I don't jerk or yank. But I pull. I know I hurt him.

I get so frustrated with him. He won't keep his head still, he won't engage his hind end. I've tried everything I know, but I can't get him to collect even a little bit.

When I get off, the look in his eye makes me want to cry. He doesn't deserve it. I vow to never do it again, to never lose my temper with him again. But I do. I can start the ride perfectly, in total peace, and end flustered and angry.

There's other stuff going on in my life, and I know I'm taking it out on him. I know this from afar, but in the moment, I get mad and aggressive on his mouth.

I'm scared. I've never been abusive with a horse before and in every other sense I take good care of him. I don't want to become abusive. I'm scared of what this might turn into.

Is there a full moon?
    McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

• Original Poster

Hahaha, I do believe it is unrelated.

Comment

Do you ride with a trainer? I ask because a trainer might see something that is causing an issue or the frustration and help you out so you don't get to the point of frustration.

Comment

How about you quit and ride Western for a while? With a nice draped rein. Get out of his face and retrain your brain a little?
          Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
          Incredible Invisible

Comment

He most likely is not giving into the contact because you are not a willing partner. Just pulling is not going to make a happy horse or a nice frame. Why don't you just give up trying to get into a frame and just have fun. Trail ride or just relax together until you stop stressing.

It is NOT fair that you are taking your anger out on your horse. God bless him that he has not sent you flying. I would have and I know that my horse sure as hell would have as well.

Here is my advice that I tell teens who decide that they can no longer control themselves and take it out on the horse. GROW UP and drop it when you are riding. Your horse does not deserve your anger. Or just stop riding and do the horse a favor.
            I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Comment

• Original Poster

I do have a trainer, but only once a week, and she's at a different barn than where I ride him. I can get her out to watch me sometime, I just have to coordinate it.

I rode western for almost a decade before switching to English last summer...so rein contact is new to me anyway. I think I know what it's supposed to feel like, but I can't keep it there. Erg.

Comment

My gut feeling is you're trying too hard. I ride western, have all my life. Once, I went off on a tangent and did dressage plus a little jumping type stuff. The one thing I do know, my brain ain't wired for english. I loff dressage but do it in a western saddle. Jumping isn't my thing. I prefer all four hoofies on the ground as much as possible.

Quit trying so hard, sit back and relax. Pop a Corona and thank your adorable horse he hasn't killed you.
                GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

You should stop riding and do clicker training for 30 days. Get a good book (Alexandra Kurland or Shawna Karrasch) and work on developing that relationship with your horse.

I'm not going to tell you that you are wrong for your actions... because it is clear that you already know! You are admitting it, and that is the first and most difficult step. I have been very, very frustrated before and I understand what a vicious cycle it can become, ESPECIALLY when there are other things going on your life.

Contact can be a difficult concept...it is truly about feel. But it starts from your leg and your seat, not your hand. To develop feel...you must learn to FOLLOW your horse's head without asking for anything. Once you can truly follow and have independent hands/seat... only then are you capable of asking a horse for contact.

If you are approaching contact any other way, all you will create is a false frame and a head set.
                  Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
                  Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
                  Take us to print!

Comment

Years ago when I did some private lessons, I would tell riders that they needed to leave their "bad day" and frustrations at the job and not take it out on the horse. "HE wasn't having a bad day until you gave him yours!!!" I never do serious training when I'm feeling "pissy"!! I go for a soothing, calming trail ride on a soft rein.
                    Sounds like you are creating some of your horse's problems. Take a deep breath and get some pro lessons/help. Until you have a firmer grasp on "how to..." - don't try it alone. You'll ruin your horse and your outlook on riding. JMO
                    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Be sure that you know what correct contact is and how to ask for it! You and your horse may be getting your signals crossed. When I met my SO ( who rides western) he didn't know about contact, and thought that you got them into frame by "see-sawing" their mouths. (left, right, left right). Needless to say, it didn't work well for him and ended most of his rides frustrated.
                      Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
                      White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

When you feel yourself getting frustrated, you've got to just get off the horse and get out of the situation. It's not fair to the horse to continue in that state of mind.

As a teenager, I'd get horribly frustrated with my horse. Perhaps not what you've described, but along those lines. It's not useful for anyone. The horse resists, the rider gets frustrated and angry and nothing is accomplished. Contact, especially, is SUCH a conversation. The horse has to come to the hand.

So, get off. Do something dead easy that has no chance of failing. Reward for good behavior and put the horse away. Come back another day when you're in a better mental space to work on the harder questions.

I've also found that the "you KNOW how to do this! WTF?!" frustration always stems from something else. A bad day for me, or an actual lameness issue in the horse. Take a step back and really look at what might be the root of the issue.

Comment

You will never get your horse to collect and engage by using hand, the horse must move forward into the bridle from your leg. You can haul back all you want and I guarantee you will never get anywhere. Had you or your horse done any dressage (or whichever english discipline you're riding) prior to last summer? Sounds like you are jumping waaaay ahead of that game and based on the description you gave. It definitely doesn't sound like you are ready to be working toward any kind of collection. I would almost guarantee that you are trying to force your horse to do something that he is physically incapable of doing. It takes an incredible amount of correct work for a horse to develop the muscle strength to carry himself and properly engage his back and hind end. What you described above is anything but correct.

The best advice I could give for the time being is get out of his face, carry a light, steady contact, and work on forward, forward, forward. But what you really need is to get some good eyes on the ground more often, for your horse's sake and for yours as well... Someone who will call you out and force you to behave appropriately if you can't control yourself on your own. Have someone there every ride if necessary and make the decision to not ride or to stop immediately if you lose your temper. It's completely unfair to your horse to continue forcing him to do something that he is probably incapable of doing and continuing to ride him incorrectly will create problem on top of problem in the future. Invest the time and money now and save yourself and your horse a whole lot of pain and heartbreak. I own a horse who was ridden by people with awful, heavy hands for yeeeaaars. It has been such an incredible struggle to teach him how to carry himself. He's an absolute joy to ride now and worth every second of training but I highly recommend saving yourself the trouble - get help and do it right from the beginning.

Comment

I would suggest two things:

1. Vacation from riding. Just put that saddle away for a week, or two weeks, or a month. Don't stop spending time with your horse -- just spend it differently. Hand walk around the property (or if it's one giant slush ball like ours, spend some time with him loose in your riding area). Get to know his body language on the ground. Groom, snuggle, pamper, play my-pretty-pony. Do whatever you want, but make sure it's fun! Make sure it's something you can do that doesn't include the possibility of "failure" or "success;" it's just about spending time with your horse that reminds you that you love him, and gives him a break from your temper.

2. When you're ready to get back to riding, see if you can arrange a kind of intensive course with your instructor, kind of like a mini clinic -- it could be a week or two weeks, riding every day or every other day. It's really, immeasurably useful to ride under an instructor every day. Unfortunately not doable for most of us on a long term basis, but it would be worth it to get your riding back to a positive start.

Also, you say you're taking lessons once a week now -- what is your instructor saying? Do you experience the same kind of frustration in a lesson, or only when riding at home. You may not be working well with your instructor, and this may be a sign to change up. Regardless of who you're riding under, make sure you're asking for specific "homework" that has goals you understand. It can be very frustrating when your goal is something vague like "develop contact." You need to break that down into steps that you are able to achieve through concrete exercises.

Comment

try working with a psycologist and understand where this is coming from-perfectionistic? Control issues? Nerves? Pressure from trainer/friends/family?

Please take a break and address this...all the lessons and training won't help you if you don't do the "inner work".

Comment

Step away. Seriously. Don't do that to your poor horse. Hang up the spurs for a while until you chill out. Or only ride once a week with your trainer, who hopefully won't allow this stuff to happen on her watch. If she does, find a new trainer!

I can't imagine ever knowingly hurting one of my horses... even when I'm in the worst mood ever. They're my buds.

I get frustrated with myself as I try to learn to ride dressage, but never with my horse. If he's having trouble with something, we step back and do something that's easy for him. (Or, I get a pro on him to fix it.)

Comment

You need to stop. Collection, carriage, and roundness don't come from your horse's face. You're hurting your horse, and you're hurting your relationship with your horse. If he's very very smart he will pay you back, and if he's very very accommodating you will ruin him. I second the suggestion of doing something else like ground work to rescue your relationship. Your horse is not an organic machine. You don't want the kind of relationship you're building; you want a partnership.

Meditate on one of my favorite working equitation videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5895K...eature=mh_lolz

Do you see a heavy hand? Look for tension on the reins. Yet look at how this horse is moving. What you're doing is not going to accomplish this.

Paula
                                  He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

Does your trainer know that you feel this way about your other rides? I think that the best thing to do might be to consult with a counselor or psychologist if you can, and to stop riding other than your weekly lesson or only do loose rein stuff on the other days.
                                    I can say that in a way, I can sympathize. I have taken lower level dressage lessons for years and I still struggle (A LOT) with contact. There is something that I am just not getting or missing, especially (unfortunately) with my own horse. I don't know if I'm just not athletic enough or not able to "feel" or coordinate the aids or all of the above.
                                    I was getting so frustrated that when I left the barn, I would literally be in a bad mood for the rest of the day. Now if I don't feel like riding, I do not ride. If I start riding and start to get frustrated, I get off before I ruin my day and groom, feed treats, and go home. Even typing this out feels a bit silly because this is a hobby and it is supposed to be fun, but I can identify with it sometimes being so frustrating that it is not fun. I think that the main problem for you right now is that you feel like you are taking your frustrations out on the horse. Stop doing that, even if it means riding less or spending most of your time on a loose rein. Make what you are doing now not an option.

Comment

Stop and take a deep breath when you feel yourself getting tense and frustrated.

Depending on what's available to you, maybe try to "mix things up" a little when you're not in a lesson with your trainer. Go out on a short trail ride. Build some kind of obstacle course for yourself in the arena. Spend some time riding bareback. As others have said, spend some "pampering" time with your horse, just grooming or having a "my little pony" day, or walking him out to an area to hand-graze him for a while.

Consider whether there are other things going on in your life that are building that tension. . .and you're projecting that tension into your riding?

If it makes you feel any better, I have been in a similar situation. There was nothing "wrong" with my horse, but I was so frustrated with a situation in my workplace that it carried over into my riding.

Learn to relax and enjoy. Remember. . .riding is fun. . .right?
                                      Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAnon View Post
                                        With my horse.
                                        There's other stuff going on in my life, and I know I'm taking it out on him.
                                        If the other stuff is making you feel out of control, not valued, not perfect you need to address this, but not on your horse.
                                        Your attempting to feel better in your life by having control over something you feel you can control, your horse and riding. By controlling this one part of your life makes you feel better while all this other stuff is happening.
                                        Problem is is that your horse is not at that point in his training, and neither are you. The result is anger over the thing you can not control...just like the other stuff that is happening right now.
                                        Instead of trying to control your horse and perfecting your ride, see your horse as your best friend, your therapy, your zen time. Let your time with him be relaxed, take the time to focus on him and you. Knowing that he needs you for love, attention, and his well being should make you happy and glad to have him help see you through these times.

Comment

Working...
                                        X