• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How to bring this up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to bring this up?

First I'll start by saying I know this is partially my fault for not stopping it sooner and not making a contract, so tsk tsk on me. But I do need some advice on the situation is has become now, so any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. I'll try to make this as short as possible...

I live on a small farm with my father (5 acres, barn w/ 4 stalls). Last September, I had two ponies (mare and a gelding) at home and one horse at a boarding farm where I was working. I leased out my pony gelding, which resulted in a very lonely pony mare at home. The horse at boarding farm was going to be coming home in a couple weeks when I stopped working, but in the meantime, pony mare needed a companion. My aunt had 4 horses at home and I asked to borrow the aged pony gelding that gets along with everyone and specifically said only for a week. Instead, she brought me her only mare. (Mare is owned by her friend, but because my aunt was the only one riding it and picking it up every weekend to take riding, my aunt agreed to her friend to keep it at her house.) My aunt said she brought the mare because her three geldings don't get along with her and she was alone in a pasture by herself anyway. I said that was fine, because my horses get along with everyone.

Well, we brought my horse home from the boarding barn so no need for aunt's mare. I said she could take the mare back now because my horse is home, but she wouldn't take her back. She kept saying, well mare is better off at your house because she doesn't get along with my horses and has to stay out in the field with no shelter at my house. At my house, mare has a stall. I have hinted and asked over and over and over to her bringing the mare back, but keep getting the same response and that she will take her in the summer. My aunt has been bringing grain over for her, but has not even offered to bring or pay for any of the hay. The mare gets two flakes a day and is out on my pasture 24/7. I have been treating her horse like one of my own because she is in my barn. I have been cleaning her stall 2x a day, feeding her 2x a day, doing her water, bringing her in and using my coolers/blankets on her if she gets wet/chilled because my aunt supplied no blankets. We use the same farrier, so my aunt has just had me hold her mare when the farrier comes and pays me later for the trim. But still, I am doing labor, my father and I are supplying the hay, and she has not offered to pay for anything and won't take her back. I got another horse in December to fill up my fourth stall and cannot turn him out in the bigger field with my other two horses because of her mare.

It is just really frustrating that she keeps refusing to take her back. I am much younger and don't want to be disrespectful towards her, but this is ridiculous. I brought it up to my father and all he said was "she needs to take her back" but won't call her or talk to her about it.

The mare's owner wasn't even aware that the mare was at MY house. My aunt has been continually lying to her and telling her friend that mare was getting along great with her horses. This resulted in a big surprise to me and the owner when I saw mare's owner today and mentioned her.

I'm just really ticked off today because we hauled both my horse and her mare to an indoor to school in the ring. My aunt made arrangements to school in it, because she knows the guy that just moved in there. All she mentioned to me was the shots my horse had to have. We got there and she said, "well do you have all your stuff?"..."what stuff?"..."your money." Surprise surprise...it was $25. I told her she hadn't even mentioned to me the cost of the ring fee (which she normally would) and that I hadn't been prepared to pay it. I had money for it, but when I said I was annoyed at that because that was the money I needed to get dinner, she rudely told me "well you have to suck it up if you want to have horses." Hmmm...then perhaps you should pay for the horse that you've left at my house and have been freeloading from us for??

How can I tell her she needs to take her horse home or pay us, and is there any tasteful way I can get her to pay for the past four months her horse has been here eating our hay and causing extra work? You would think that since I have been taking care of this horse for her she might be inclined to pay my rare schooling fee. My family is pretty close and I know my dad will not confront her, but I don't want to be really rude to her because she is my elder. Would is be tacky to send a typed up bill in the mail with the hay bill for her horse? That still isn't enough to cover the lost pasture from her (our field isn't big) and all the labor/bedding, but since I had no contract I can't really enforce that.

Just really really frustrated and venting!

wonder if she's charging board to owner
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Comment

you don't need to be rude (although she is being rude/inconsiderate to you) but you do need to be firm
      Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Comment

I think I would lose any tact and just tell her that she needs to pick up mare by XX date or you will be dropping mare off at her house.
        Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
        White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

Maybe contact the mare's owner and tell her the situation.

If I was her, I would be getting my mare out of there myself.
          \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Comment

Originally posted by luvmytbs View Post
            Maybe contact the mare's owner and tell her the situation.

If I was her, I would be getting my mare out of there myself.
            She HAS talked to the owner and the owner had no idea mare was at her house!

If I were the owner, I'd be LIVID and taking my horse back ASAP.

Either way, I agree with the poster that said just very matter-of-factly tell your aunt that you had only ever intended on keeping mare for a very short period of time (under a month!) and aunt has kept mare there longer than that and you no longer have room for her and that aunt either needs to come take her back or you'll be dropping mare off in her front yard.

I don't know that you'll be able to get the money back and it might not be worth the familial strife but you definitely shouldn't keep free-boarding the horse.

My other thought would be to tell the owner (since you seem to know them) the entire situation, that aunt is refusing to take the mare back, and that owner needs to take it or you'll be following whatever law says in your state for pursuing a "stableman's lien". Or something like that.
            The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
            Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Comment

Two options:

Take the horse back to her house and drop it off.

Or contact the owner and tell her you need the horse moved or she will have to pay you board.

Comment

I think auntie is already in deep doo-doo if you and the mare owner had an unexpected meeting the way you describe it. I'm also thinking there is a potential liability issue for both you and auntie if something happens to the mare while at your house, since you are not the person who has a boarding contract with the owner.

Since you apparently have a trailer why not simply pick up the phone and let her know that you will be bringing the horse back to her at 10 AM on Saturday? Oh, she won't be home and that's not convenient? No worries, you'll just put her back into her old pasture with the geldings. -click-

problem solved and you can let mare owner and auntie wrangle over the boarding money.

Comment

Originally posted by dacasodivine View Post
                  Two options:

Or contact the owner and tell her you need the horse moved or she will have to pay you board.
                  absolutely. My first thought, load up and drop off.
                  Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by BarbaricYawp View Post
                    Since you apparently have a trailer why not simply pick up the phone and let her know that you will be bringing the horse back to her at 10 AM on Saturday? Oh, she won't be home and that's not convenient? No worries, you'll just put her back into her old pasture with the geldings. -click-

problem solved and you can let mare owner and auntie wrangle over the boarding money.
                    This was my thought too. I'm not sure you should hold your breath waiting for back-pay, but I'm not sure what's stopping you from just returning the horse, since it's clear your aunt doesn't have picking it up on her list of priorities.

Comment

I'd skip over the aunt and call the owner. Obviously aunt is a freeloader milking the arrangement for all it's worth.

Barring that, stop asking. It's time to TELL.

Comment

I would just load her up, drive over and drop her off. I would not give your aunt a head's up and a chance to try and stop it, I would just do it. Leave her in a stall or pasture of wherever that is safe and isolated. And don't expect any back pay.

Comment

Load up the mare and drop her off. Pretty sure your aunt will get the message that way.
                          Cowboy up.

Comment

All of these....................

I would just load her up, drive over and drop her off. I would not give your aunt a head's up and a chance to try and stop it, I would just do it. Leave her in a stall or pasture of wherever that is safe and isolated. And don't expect any back pay.
                            I'd skip over the aunt and call the owner. Obviously aunt is a freeloader milking the arrangement for all it's worth.
                            Barring that, stop asking. It's time to TELL.

Two options:

Or contact the owner and tell her you need the horse moved or she will have to pay you board.the horse moved or she
                            will have to pay you board.[/
                            QUOTE]

Comment

. . .
                              Kind of like this one myself, although it's a bit tough on the owner, but if you don't ever check on your horse well . . .
                              Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                              Incredible Invisible

Comment

Agree with Zevida. Just bring her back. And don't expect to hear much more from your aunt, if you are lucky.
                                Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
                                http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

Originally posted by BarbaricYawp View Post

This is what I would do with sweetness and light. I also would just let the hay charges go. Wouldn't think it would be enough to be worth causing hard feelings in the family.
                                  You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Comment

Pardon me, I didn't read all the posts because the answer seems simple enough (unless you say differently).

You have a trailer, yes? Why are you even ASKING your aunt to pick this mare up? Load her up take her to your aunts. Leave her in the trailer while you assess the paddock situation. Move geldings to one paddock and deposit mare in other.

You are liable for any damage incurred by the mare to herself while at your farm. If the owner were so inclined, she could claim THEFT.

Dad is a wimp. Sorry, but it has to be said. You write off the hay and work to 'Experience' and "Family".

Bet you wish you'd let your pony be unhappy for a couple of weeks.
                                    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
                                    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Comment

Your aunt has already demonstrated how she would prefer you to act in this situation ie just show up with mare & leave her at Aunt's farm.

Comment

Two options:

This and this.
                                        The Little Red Mare: French Curve

and my non-horse blog: oh, rebecca!

Comment

Working...
                                        X