• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Complicated Families

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complicated Families

Since 1999, when I joined the CoTH forums, I have come to appreciate the support of many posters here, some through "virtual" correspondence and, fortunately for me, a great many in real life.

Naturally along the way, there have been a few revelations, the cream rises to the top and the dross is discarded.

I have always greatly appreciated my few close friends and am happy to say that my life has been enriched by interaction with so many like minded people here and on other forums.

As I grow older, I seem to be finding a richness and appreciation for what is truly meaningful. As a horse crazy child, I read books passed on to me by my mother, was gifted with "up/down" lessons for my birthday when my father was working two jobs, I was "enabled" by my father to buy my first pony at the Chincoteague Pony Penning.

Over the years, I've had many horses, been through several relationships, raised a child of my own and raised a couple of wonderful thoroughbreds. I've managed to work for the same company for almost 25 years with great co-workers and a fabulous staff.

I've come to the forums to share my joys and my disappointments, my concerns and my losses and to share day to day living and plans for the future.

This far into life, I pretty much thought that major changes were behind me.

BWAHAHAHA!!!

Right before Thanksgiving of 2011, the elderly gentleman who had been my mothers companion had a relapse of thyroid cancer which exams showed had riddled his body. His brain, lungs and lymph nodes were affected and his family took him home for hospice care until he passed away the day after New Year.

As my mother is not able to live alone, my sister and her family, along with Mr. Wings and myself, have rotated caring for mom which has meant an incredible upheaval in all of our lives.

Fortunately for all of us, we live within 20 minutes of our mother's home (where I grew up and kept my first horses). We looked into services which would provide a daily companion for our mother but the ones we researched seemed to cost as much as mom's monthly income and we didn't want her to have to leave her house and move to assisted living, away from all that was familiar to her, for as long as we could prevent it.

I moved in to mom's house along with our little Gretta pup to take the afternoon/overnight shift. Mr. Wings, having concluded that the business of Pawn Shop King was not a stable career choice, was waiting for a start date working for Arlington County. He agreed to stay with mom during the day while I was at work. He stayed at our house, got up at 4:45 am so he could feed our horses and arrive at Mom's in time for me to go to my office.

This meant my sister, who worked part time for another county, said that she'd resign from her job as soon as Mr. Wings started his new job so she could be with mom during the day.

This change finally occurred and we are now balancing our enlarged family needs around three homes, the horses at yet another address, and a cycle of family meals.

I am, at my "advanced" age, appreciating yet again what my mother has done for me throughout my life. She was there the April morning in 1998 when Wings was born. She was at my side within half an hour of the horrible experience of euthanizing my mare leaving me with Little Orphan Maddie to raise. She went to the barn with me when I had to leave the Winglet's high school honors presentation early because my filly needed her bottle feeding. She shared her feelings with my sisters and me when she was in the position of providing care for her own mother, something that is incredibly comforting now that we are in the same situation.

It has become familiar to local Cothers to see our entourage at various horse activities in the past few months. Just one more adjustment in our routine, we manage to enjoy the horses, visit our friends and snack ourselves through equine activities not too differently than we were accustomed to in the past. Of course, if one never breaks their youngsters, much less goes out the driveway, one would miss out on the sort of enjoyable activities that are so dear to me.

Mr. Wings, Trixie, mom, and I hauled out to Morningside Training Farm to meet Elghund and play on the lovely cross country course there. Mom had a wonderful time watching the riders, enjoying the gorgeous view and snacking on fruit, crackers and brie.

Mom came along with the three of us to Sonya Crampton's recent jumping clinic out in Bluemont, where we had a great time catching up with Moesha and several other CotTHers. She also enjoyed a cross the Potomac trip to Accokeek where Mr. Wings kept her company while Trixie rode her new pony and I took a ride on a friend's chestnut jumper in the indoor.

My days are full, I get up at 5:30, get mom up and dressed, take her to my sister, Auntie Pat's, then go feed before heading to work where I change into "office" clothes in the ladies room and settle in to my "normal" day. After work, I collect mom, we run a few errands and then head back to her house to play with Gretta pup, make dinner and read for a while. Most days Mr. Wings joins us, either for dinner before going to the barn to feed or on his way back to our house after taking care of the horses. I get mom ready for bed and hit the sack by 9:00.

In a way, it is flashback to my childhood. No computer/internet access other than the 6 hours that I'm at work. That's how I missed out on what I have been told was some rather bizarrely incessant questioning late yesterday re: the status of my husband. Why anyone would care, I do not know but it was rather stalker-creepy in a way until one considered the source. Anyone who would argue Indian cooking with someone who spent years living in India or the quality of tortillas with someone who lives within eyesight of Mexico isn't playing with a full deck!

Oh, I almost left out another complication in our daily lives - Trixie's pet chickens! She currently has six at our barn, all out on strike for the season. Of course, they are part of the twice daily chores that need to be tended to along with mom watch.

I hope these links work, they go to a now almost defunct board but it would save me a lot of typing if they do.

More Adventures with Camouflage Chicken

Another thing I forgot, along with the pleasure and contentment of being in the home my parents built and enjoying the things my father accomplished before his early death, is the garden in the backyard. Dad took great pride in his vegetable garden and it must be from him that I got the itch to plant. For several years now, Trixie and I have been growing a garden at our barn, first with great success in straw bales and update last season to include self watering containers. We've already got a more convenient compost pile going between the garden and her chicken coops where the fresh manure from Pockets' pony's paddock gets piled on top of old bedding from the chicken houses. We anticipate a great harvest this year! I can't wait to incorporate a goodly amount of our well composted horse manure to my dad's garden beds. We canned and froze so much produce the past couple of years that Trixie gave me a food dehydrator for a combined birthday and Christmas present last holiday season. (I got her a shadbelly that fits her like it was custom made - you all MAKE HER MODEL it for photos! )

Even Trixie's chickie-ladies got into the gardening groove.

First you plant the seeds...

Mr. Wings and how Trixie got a chicken

Annual hilarity

In 2011, Trixie, Mr. Wings and I grew 9 different kinds of potatoes in old woven mesh beet pulp bags. I am reminded that it is time to order seed potatoes once again.

It's a great way to reuse feed sacks and to get a return on your composted manure (it's also the easiest non-digging gardening ever!).

Here's a "how to" article on growing potatoes in bags. Harvesting is super easy, dump the bag into a wheel barrow, pick out the potatoes, dump the wheelbarrow on the manure pile!

Life is full circle. I am glad to be able to do things with and for my mom, the person who did more for me than I can ever begin to repay. I about break down and cry when she hugs me and says "I would help you with your horses" and "I have wonderful daughters".

I am fortunate, mom is highly portable and enjoys going along with us. I would miss out on so much by staying inside, huddled around the computer and railing at my fate. What a waste!

I am incredibly grateful for my husband, family and friends, who are helpful and kind and supportive. If any of you are in a similar circumstance, you know that there are days of frustration, just think back to what we must have put them through all those years ago.
    Last edited by Everythingbutwings; Feb. 1, 2012, 12:54 PM. Reason: To add more love
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Thank you for the update!

I always enjoy reading about your life (you are so creative), and I send prayers and good wishes to you and your family

Comment

• Original Poster

This is mom at the jumping clinic. It really wasn't that cold out, a rather balmy 50 but there was a breeze and we were in the shadow of the mountain ridge out near Trappe.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL93.../400436318.jpg

She loves riding in the Big Red Truck (as does Gretta pup!) and viewing the countryside. We took her on a road trip right after Thanksgiving out past Culpeper. We stopped in Catlett and got some lovely cuts of meat from Wilson Brother's meat and then continued on to Syria and got some cheddar cheese from the store near Graves Mountain. We then finished up with dinner at Thai Culpeper. their roast duck with crispy noodles is awesome and mom loved it.
      "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Comment

My short attention span kicked in but, I do say, you have a way with words! I enjoyed reading it!
        GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

All of us at my work are of a certain age and have ailing parents - we are each having to deal with it in our own ways but it is always good to hear from someone else and I'm so glad your mom is able to be out and about with you all. She is probably as happy as she has ever been and I am very glad! Thanks for sharing.
          Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
          Incredible Invisible

Comment

Very nice to hear such an update! Thank you for sharing.

Comment

ETBW, some people really DO need to get out more. YOU, my dear, are not one of them. I miss seeing you guys come over to the "old" barn, but you know, there's just only so much bat$%*t crazy that I can handle and that place is chock full of it. We shall all have to plan an adventure some weekend to meet up. And of course, I am always forever thankful to you and Trixie regarding the support you have shown to me and the Hamstar regarding his shoddy former trainer. I think the world of you, Trixie, Mr. Wings, and your mom...even though I haven't met her yet!
              "I was not expecting the park rangers to lead the resistance, none of the dystopian novels I read prepared me for this but cool."

Comment

You are a very rich woman indeed and mightily blessed.
                <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Wings - I miss you, and the (g)olden days of the BB. Its so nice to read your update and sorry I didn't make it to the clinic - it sounded like so much fun!

We should have a get together at one of the shows this year!

Comment

Sounds like your Mom and Dad raised you right.

It's so sad about her companion - but it sounds as if her days, and life, are full and happy. Yours too.

Glad she can age in place and that she's able to do things with you.

My chickens are on strike too. I threaten them with a big pot and my chicken and dumplings recipe. Tell Trixie not to bother with that - it doesn't work.

1999 - gosh sometimes I forget how long this BB has been around. I first joined in 2000 sometime. What a long, strange trip it's been.

Originally posted by Everythingbutwings View Post
                    Life is full circle. I am glad to be able to do things with and for my mom, the person who did more for me than I can ever begin to repay. I about break down and cry when she hugs me and says "I would help you with your horses" and "I have wonderful daughters".
                    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                    -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

It's so wonderful, and these days so unusual for someone like your mom to have a loving, supportive family. I think the true test of family loyalty is to see how everyone copes when there is a need to help, and you all have passed with flying colors. I wish everyone could have the support and friendship that all of you have, and hope you all will have many more wonderful adventures together. It's so great to see a family pull together for the welfare of each other.

Don't let the internet bullies bother you, I think many people like that are (as another poster put it so well) "Flaming Nutballs" and I personally think many people like that are just jealous of what others have and they never will.
                      You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

I have always enjoyed reading your posts, ETBW. Sounds like you have a full plate there, but are making the best and appreciating every day. As you should!

Comment

And yet, you have time, and heart, enough to offer your help to me and to my Aunt. Bless you, ETBW, you are one in a million.
                          If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.
                          Desmond Tutu

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                            And yet, you have time, and heart, enough to offer your help to me and to my Aunt. Bless you, ETBW, you are one in a million.
                            No, Louise, I'm just lucky in that we all live so close to each other and can be supportive for each other. Auntie Pat mentioned that, a hundred years ago, when it was more common for several generations of a family to live together, our mom would just be that ditsy relative who wandered happily from room to room.

There would have been family there to be company and keep her from harm and see to her comfort.

I'm looking forward to this spring. The Winglet (her oldest grandson) lives near Unionville, Pa and Trixie has a CANTER auction donated lesson with Bruce Davidson to schedule. That will be a marvelous outing for mom as we are planning to make it an overnight jaunt so it won't be such a hard trip going up and back with the horse the same day.

Comment

• Original Poster

see u at x -
                              We shall all have to plan an adventure some weekend to meet up.
                              Want to come to London with us to take in the Olympics? Mom and I were watching television yesterday and saw a promo for the London Games. I mentioned that the climate would be so much better for the horses than the Seoul Olympics and mom, very seriously, asked if I wanted to go and said "Let's go then!"

Last week, we were going to Oregon. You know, the planning is rather fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X