Stallion Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

BHCH10
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

"i cloned my pet" - horses will be next!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "i cloned my pet" - horses will be next!

http://press.discovery.com/us/tlc/pr...cloned-my-pet/

These pets are cloned for emotional reasons, not to carry on excellent specimens.

Horses will be cloned for similar reasons. People are now focusing on the performance and breeding champions. But, just imo, that is not the biggest market. People who want to continue the relationship they have now are just as motivated.

"I'll get him back" is the big quote of the TLC documentary. They speak of "reunions." They even hope for recognition.

Of course, clones have their own lives, and no memories from the lives of the creatures they are replicating. (As far as we know.) People may be setting themselves up for disappointment. They may be setting the clones up for failure - failure to actually be the animal they are a genetic replica of.

Someday we won't have to learn very much that's new to take on a "new" dog or horse. Or ... will we?

Oy vey. Some people have WAY more money than they know what to do with.
    Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate
    Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

creepy....

Comment

Originally posted by dani0303 View Post
        Oy vey. Some people have WAY more money than they know what to do with.
        And too little common sense to go with it.

Comment

I watched that today! Weird. The obsession these people have with their deceased pets goes beyond having had a connection, imo. I kept wondering what these people are going to do in 10-15 years (or less, esp for the large dog) when their dogs die. Again.
          ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
          ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

I find it very disrespectful to the "original' pet to have it cloned.

Comment

It's already been done with horses. The barrel racer Scamper was cloned as he was a gelding.

Comment

Is cloning for emotional reasons any worse than someone breeding a solid citizen, average mare because faults and all, they love that mare and want an offspring by her so they have a part of her when she's gone?

Or someone going out and buying a horse with bloodlines as close to their gelding's as they could find?

Or limiting search only to horses that look just like their old horse? Or insisting on a horse with the same general character?

People try to "recreate" their heart horses in all sorts of ways already. Cloning would be one more avenue for them, and probably no more or less successful than any other method.

I have other issues with cloning, but the idea that someone might want to do it for emotional reasons is not one of them.

(If the show is about over-the-top, creepy obsessive pet owners... that's still different. Over-the-top, creepy obsessive people will be over-the-top, creepy obsessive with whatever method they choose to immortalize their pets. *The people*, not the method, are the problem there.)
                She Gets Lost

Comment

I do not think the people that are paying for these clones understand that the clone is not going to be EXACTLY like the other animal. I personally do not favoring cloning. It takes the uniqueness out of something.

The owners on the show were too obsessed with their animals to the point of creepiness.
                  Pro Slaughter
                  Anti Parelli

Comment

Originally posted by HappyVagrant View Post
                    Is cloning for emotional reasons any worse than someone breeding a solid citizen, average mare because faults and all, they love that mare and want an offspring by her so they have a part of her when she's gone?
                    They are wanting a PART of her, not her EXACTLY

Or someone going out and buying a horse with bloodlines as close to their gelding's as they could find?
                    Again, not looking for the EXACT same horse, just hopeing for one with relatively similar traits since they got on well with a horse of similar breeding

Or limiting search only to horses that look just like their old horse? Or insisting on a horse with the same general character?
                    Again, looking for something similar not the exact same animal

People try to "recreate" their heart horses in all sorts of ways already. Cloning would be one more avenue for them, and probably no more or less successful than any other method.

I have other issues with cloning, but the idea that someone might want to do it for emotional reasons is not one of them.

(If the show is about over-the-top, creepy obsessive pet owners... that's still different. Over-the-top, creepy obsessive people will be over-the-top, creepy obsessive with whatever method they choose to immortalize their pets. *The people*, not the method, are the problem there.)
                    To me, what people seem to want when cloning a pet is to have it be EXACTLY the same pet as their loved one was. I can't put into words why it makes me so grossed out but it does.

Comment

I watched it tonight, too!

Of course a show like this is going to depict the most extreme of individuals so I think a conversation about the ethics doesn't quite fit in with the program.

The people on the show are Nucking Futbags. Especially the guy fantasizing about telling baby Wolfie "Welcome to this Earth, I am your Daddy" or something. And the woman asking her puppy Trouble if he "remembered" her.

Every one of them had that look of a girl infatuated with horses, the happy, fated look of a passenger setting sail on the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by ElisLove View Post
                        To me, what people seem to want when cloning a pet is to have it be EXACTLY the same pet as their loved one was. I can't put into words why it makes me so grossed out but it does.
                        I think some people who breed their heart mare or absolutely insist on horses with similar bloodlines for "connection" purposes would be much happier with an exact copy of their deceased horse. But since that hasn't been technologically possible, they settle for the "part."

Probably the creepy, over-the-top owners will be the front runners of emotional cloning, but I don't think they'll be the only ones buying in to it.

And since I think they'd be creepy no matter what technology is involved, I'm not going to condemn the technology or even emotional cloning in general because some people are creepy.

There are so many better arguments against cloning than a reality TV show that went out and found the creepiest characters it could to boost ratings.
                        She Gets Lost

Comment

Ok I wanted to add to my thought process as it came to me a bit better just now how to explain how I feel.
                          I think cloning a horse for competitive/athletic purposes is much different than cloning a 'pet' horse or dog/cat ect.
                          I think cloning for emotional reasons is more closely related to wanting to clone a child, than cloning for athletic purposes which is more like breeding for an athletic partner.
                          Cloning for an athletic partner I think one thinks it through much more than the emotional cloning. They don't just clone because they want their 'baby' back. They clone because they want the conformation, the temperament, the athleticism, the soundness, ect.
                          It's still hard to explain. Maybe if I met a 'normal' person who wanted to clone their pet, but in all honesty I would greatly question how normal that person really is if they want to clone their pet.

Comment

I guess I may be breaking down emotional vs sport a little differently and not drawing the lines quite so clearly.

But I agree the "if you build the body, the soul will come" brigade is scary.
                            She Gets Lost

Comment

I saw this show last night. There was a guy who lost his dog "muffy" or something like that. He said that it was 1000 times worse than losing his wife, who he'd also recently lost!!!

crazy people!

Comment

Originally posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
                                It's already been done with horses. The barrel racer Scamper was cloned as he was a gelding.
                                And if I recall correctly she planned on using him as a stud as well ... If she did his get should be hitting the ground already. It was back in 2006 or so that she had him cloned.

I also remember something along the lines that AQHA wouldn't register the clone as it was not conceived "naturally"
                                I walk into the barn and hear her soothing nicker, feel her soft muzzle against my cheek, her warm breath on my skin, and it is at that moment I realize there is no where else I would rather be.

Comment

I saw the first ten minutes of it last night before I had to turn it off. Wholly creepy! I really thought I was a crazy dog lady till I saw those people! Now, I feel totally sane. I mean, I LOVE my dogs, and my horses and I don't think too many people other than my husband get just how much I love them, but those people were just wacked.

Comment

I acutally did not get to see the show. But I did see the lady with "Double Trouble" on HLN yesterday. Just kinda creepy the pedestal that people put their pets on. Granted, I'm one of those "crazy cat ladies" in the making (every stray/feral cat finds its way to my place) but in no way would I clone them!

I also remember hearing that these horses were cloned as well:

HotShot (Barrel Horse) was also cloned. I believe that they named the clone either AnotherShot or Wildshot ??

Frenchmans Guy (Barrel Racing Sire) was also cloned.

Smart Little Lena (Reining) leads the pack with 5 clones.

E.T. (Show Jumping) was also cloned.

Didn't the FEI ban the clones from being able to compete?
                                    http://www.morningside-stud.com/PinkHorses.html
                                    I walk into the barn and hear her soothing nicker, feel her soft muzzle against my cheek, her warm breath on my skin, and it is at that moment I realize there is no where else I would rather be.

Comment

Cloning of performance and/or breeding horses has been being done for a number of years.

This site gives info. and pictures:

http://www.cryozootech.com/index.php?m=home&d=home&l=en

In these cases, cloning was done based on outstanding abilities (not for emotional "I want my *pet* back" reasons).

The foals of some of the first successful attempts are just now *coming of age* (@ 3 and 4 years old) when their *cloned-for* characteristics can start to be fully assessed. This should be quite interesting to watch. Only time will tell.

Comment

Gem Twist and Gemini - I am curious to see how Gemini turns out - I think he is 2 or three now and they have started riding him.

Comment

Working...
                                        X