Stallion Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Main-Barn-Bench-to-end2
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

"Fat rider" discussion

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mp View Post
    What does skin color have to do with it?
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.".
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

You worry about your weight, I'll worry about mine.

Simple as that.
      RIP Don - 3/28/2004-8/15/2012

Comment

Originally posted by blackstallion2 View Post
        This is also my philosphy, but I tolerate fat insults to anyone about the same way that I tolerate racists jokes. Not very well ... .
        Yoiu can't change your race but you can do something about being overweight. Also why are we bringing race into this discussion?
        The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.

Comment

Frankly, if you're a sensitive, competent rider, your weight really doesn't come much into the equation.

As for many of the above posters & their "critques/opinions" - how sad for you.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by 7HL View Post
            Yoiu can't change your race but you can do something about being overweight. Also why are we bringing race into this discussion?
            I am asking the question, why is it "ok" to criticize people's weight? You really don't know what a person is doing to change their weight just by looking at them do you?

Comment

I can't remember how long ago it was---40? 50? years when there was a mandatory MINIMUM weight limits in the (show jumping and combined training) parts of the Olympics. I think it was either 160 or 165 pounds. If you didn't weight (up to) that, you had to carry lead weights. I always wondered if a rider weighing that (or more) was a more effective rider than one carrying (dead) weights.

That being said, I have diabetes type 2. Yes, I was overweight, and I've lost 45 pounds in the past year. That being said, two of my aunts and one uncle on my mother's side were/are diabetic. One was extremely skinny her entire life, and my brother, who has no symptons of being diabetic, is probably 120 pounds overweight.

My two cousins, sisters, are an interesting contrast. The super skinny, athletic one, has a chloresterol problem. The one who is 10-15 pounds overweight, has none.

I am similarly a curiousity. I have (had) NO blood pressure problems, and my chloresterol has ALWAYS been BETTER than excellent. Probably a product of my genes.

What made me kinda laugh yesterday was a comment from someone at work that with the loss of the extra weight, I am suddenly healthier. Nope, I still have diabetes, still have to take insulin, still have excellent blood pressure and no chloresterol problems.

Horsewise, I can remember getting a snide comment about my weight from a teenager (male) when I was heavier and riding my 17 hand Thoroughbred. When I went to look at a 15 hand Morgan, I was SURE that the owner would be horrified and demand that I get off his back for fear of hurting the poor horse. From the moment that I got on Blue's back, I rode better than I ever did on the Thoroughbred, and funnily enough, Blue never had ANY problem carting me around, then or now.

Go figure.
              "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Comment

Originally posted by Long Spot View Post

Originally posted by blackstallion2 View Post
                I am asking the question, why is it "ok" to criticize people's weight?
                It isn't.

Originally posted by Bacardi1 View Post
                Frankly, if you're a sensitive, competent rider, your weight really doesn't come much into the equation.

As for many of the above posters & their "critques/opinions" - how sad for you.
                A friend of mine asked me to "tell the truth" if I thought she should quit riding. She's heavy and not a particularly skilled rider. But her horse is short coupled, he carries her well, and the saddle fits. Friend does light trail riding and a little flat work in the ring. Nothing in that equation adds up to "stop riding," at least not in my book. And that's exactly what I told her -- unless she wants to start jumping (she doesn't), she's just fine.

I've seen riders who were too big for the horses they were riding. It was not a matter of aesthetics -- the horses were clearly laboring. I didn't inform those riders of my opinion. If they had asked me, I would have told them. Kindly. Just as I would have told my friend, if that had been the case.

I'm sorry, but there are people whose excess weight and lack of fitness should preclude them from riding. That it doesn't is sad.

Comment

I'm 140lbs and 5'6
                  my Middle child is 13yos and 5'9 at least and 170 lbs

she is well on to meeting and matching her daddy's 6'1 (plus a bit) height
                  she may surpass him soon....

and she cries about how tall and fat she is :< because everyone in her class is many inches smaller than her

I keep trying to tell her that 6 foot tall athletic women with legs like gazelles do not weight 105 lbs...she just cries...

only on horseback is she confident and happy about her size...then she is just a kid on a horse

Tamara
                  Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                  I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly View Post

One of the nicest riders I've watched do a hunter round was a heavy girl. She was tall, and fit, but heavy. And I don't mean obese or anything like that, just thickly built. You know, some people have thicker frames and some people have thinner frames. The next round I watched had a very slender girl who did not look very strong and had a bit of difficulty with her large strong horse. I think the real focus for riding should be fitness and not weight.

That being said, I'm currently at 135 with a target goal of 120. I'm 5'2"ish. I have a medium pony who can pack 140 but I'd rather be farther into her comfort zone. In her case I will focus more on weight than fitness as far as riding goes, but only because she's a pony with a weight limit. For my WB, I definitely want to be strong!

ETA: about weight, too, muscle weighs more than fat. So you could be a very fit, healthy person, but according to the scales be too heavy.
                    I love this post.

I want to lose weight. I reached a point in the fall where the weight itself seemed to be hindering my riding. I have been consistently getting more and more fit, and wasn't losing any weight - though I lost some inches on my waist, because I was getting stronger.

I've finally recently gotten where I am significantly stronger and the difference is showing in my riding - and magically, as soon as that happened I started losing weight, and have lost 10 lbs in the last month.

I believe you owe it to yourself and your horse to try to be the fittest you can be. That may mean losing OR gaining weight, running, lifting weights, pilates.... or it may mean simply trying to ride when you get the chance because your crazy family/work situation makes taking any time for yourself at all nearly impossible.

As for the health/weight correlation, I was an EXTREMELY underweight kid/teenager. As in, I was still a bit underweight at 125 lbs... at the same height I'd been when I weighed 95 lbs. Now I have another 10-20lbs I'd love to lose, but I am much, much healthier than I was when underweight. My system kept wanting to shut me down back then, and I worked with doctors attempting to put on weight but simply couldn't. A high metabolism and inability to eat enough calories to make up for the 30 hours/week I spent riding were to blame, no medical conditions. Even so underweight, though, I did not look thin while on a horse. I was still a size 8, at 5'1"!

I absolutely refuse to judge someone for being over or under weight. And if they are because of their own bad habits or emotional illness, I think they need even more understanding and support as they try to battle their personal demons.

I think there's nothing wrong with mentioning how weight can affect riding - just mention fitness as well. It's hard to support more weight through your core, and it becomes easier as you lose. That's true. BUT - if you are weak, you aren't going to ride well regardless of weight, and that's really more important!
                    If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
                    -meupatdoes

Comment

I'm a "fat rider". I look fat on a horse! I'm short waisted and have rather short, "thick" legs - large hamstrings and quads. I'm strong, fit and not overweight, but this this build, it's impossible to look long and lean.

I'm over that now - I ride to the best of my ability and let the judge, or timeclock, decide the outcome.
                      “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.” – John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Skydog View Post
                        I'm a "fat rider". I look fat on a horse! I'm short waisted and have rather short, "thick" legs - large hamstrings and quads. I'm strong, fit and not overweight, but this this build, it's impossible to look long and lean.

I'm over that now - I ride to the best of my ability and let the judge, or timeclock, decide the outcome.
                        Skydog, same here. I *am* a little overweight, though.... 5'2" if I stretch, and 140 pounds... but with a build like yours, I look bony if my weight goes much under 125. 140 pounds is just horrifying, isn't it! But, through years and years of experience (I am now 47) I have learned that the more I obsess about weight, try to diet, etc. the harder it is to maintain a stable weight -- which is my general goal. So I leave it be, as much as I can.

I ride a suitable horse and we're not suffering when it comes to competition. She was ridden by someone too heavy for her before I bought her, though, and definitely paid a price in soundness.
                        You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Matson View Post
                          Somebody please notify Michelle Obama about this thread. We have to put an end to the anti-obesity campaign in this country! Super size it baby!
                          You owe me a laptop keyboard. So there.
                          GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

When the horse is expressing obvious discomfort, it bothers me. That said, I think we've all seen a horse hollowing up and swishing its tail whenever its rider is slapping and jamming their posterior, ample or not, into the horse's back.

There is a poster, who use to post here under various names, who is on the extreme, extreme scale when it comes to obesity. She was always saying that yep, she's loosing weight (for years and years). Both her horses show obvious signs of pain from her riding them in the multiple videos she use to post here and now posts elsewhere. She rides with her seat jamming, bumping and pumping on their backs. Ouch. She's not loosing weight, she's making excuses and it's painful to watch her videos. Poor horses. She has a scamming history and it's awful to know she's still trying to scam people, one way or another.

I've seen other pics and videos of another plus size rider, but damn she looks good and balanced, has a seat to die for. Her horses look good while she's riding them.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Spot View Post
                              Erm, are you talking about the 'borking' and the 'boinking'? If not, never mind.

Comment

I'm not about to insult another person based on their size. I just do not have a lot of respect for an individual without the discipline to fix such a problem.
                                ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

I'll worry about my weight and dont' need anyone else to help me do so.

Comment

I think we need to stop worrying about weight, in the numbers sense and worry about the important things like...can I give my horse really effective and long flat sessions with consistency? Or can I barely make it around the ring? Can I ride many times a week and not feel exhausted? Do I get winded at a show and after a few classes start to fade because I am unfit? Can I ride a few different horses and have jump schools with my trainer on each one of the 6 and be ok? I really think if we look at what we can't do because we are "overweight" or "unfit" and start doing it, and getting more active, then regardles if we drop 10 pounds or 60...we are doing what we need to do and will be in good shape!

I think it would surprise people who do have trouble with weight loss, just how much they would loose and/or how fit they would get ( even if they stayed close to their current weight) Some people are thicker, or bigger naturally, some are thinner, some need to loose weight others need stamina and cardio work.

We are all individuals...to me the important question we need to ask ourselves is can we do what we want or is the physical and mental condition of our body preventing us from living the life we want?..... and then just as Nike says "Do It"

Sadly many people do have health reasons andthey cannot loose weight, they might want to desperately, or they cannot get fit, and regardless people should be ashamed to mistreat people and be cruel to them over what? size ? Most people have more than enough to work on about themselves and very few if any are so perfect to have so much free time to pick on others, even in just passing snide comments.

But I will add, if your weight regardless of why is in any way responsible for health concerns in your horse, you should talk to your trainer, it is the only fair thing to do..
                                    "All life is precious"
                                    Sophie Scholl

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara in TN View Post
                                      I'm 140lbs and 5'6
                                      my Middle child is 13yos and 5'9 at least and 170 lbs

she is well on to meeting and matching her daddy's 6'1 (plus a bit) height
                                      she may surpass him soon....

and she cries about how tall and fat she is :< because everyone in her class is many inches smaller than her

I keep trying to tell her that 6 foot tall athletic women with legs like gazelles do not weight 105 lbs...she just cries...

only on horseback is she confident and happy about her size...then she is just a kid on a horse

Tamara

Oh, Tamara...this was me in junior high (though I stopped at 5'9'')...I feel for your daughter. I wish she could see how fantastic it is to be tall and athletic and strong.

Keep her on her horses, as I know you will if you can. I just wanted to throw some encouraging vibes out there for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post
                                        I'm not about to insult another person based on their size. I just do not have a lot of respect for an individual without the discipline to fix such a problem.
                                        I find this very judgemental.

Obesity is a health condition that can be seen and obviously judged or this topic wouldn't be here.

Do you judge people who smoke in the same manner, or someone with high blood pressure or high cholesteral? All CAN be a result of life choices. However not so horrible to look at.

Comment

The article was off in the part where it lumps religion, sexual orientation, and being fat to be the same as race. You can't choose your race, but the other things are all by a persons doing. People choose their religion, choose who to be with and this applies also to weight. You choose what and how you eat. If I feel my clothes getting tight I lay off the foods I know are causing it and make sure to exercise a bit more. That is my choice and my horses are thankful. Is it hard to maintain my weight? Sure. It is a discipline, just like riding is. We keep our horses fit and know how obesity effects them, but we don't apply it to ourselves. We should for our own good and for our horses. That being said, I have more important things to do than criticize a fellow rider about their weight. I gained 40 pounds with each child and know the struggle of getting that off ( 3 times). I know for many people weight is a life long struggle and they do the best they can. It shouldn't keep them from riding.

Comment

Working...
                                          X