Sport Horse Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

Walter Moore rear view

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

"Fat rider" discussion

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by blackstallion2 View Post
    I don't mean this as smart-a$$ed as it sounds, but there are way more "horse poor" people around now than there were a decade ago. It is no longer something you can take for granted, that person who has horses has plenty of money. I know many struggling to make ends meet and sacrificing their own (fill in the blank ____ health insurance, wardrobe, dental work! nails and hair, etc.) so they can keep their horse/s fed this winter. Yes, it is about priorities and for many, their horses come before themselves.
    That's poor choices. I am certainly not wealthy, no where close. I make my own food, rarely eat out (why should I when I can make it better and cheaper myself and be at home?). I would never keep my horses if it meant not having health insurance or dental work. Hair and nails, they went by the wayside long ago. There are choices - keep the horse and don't have fast food. Not jeopardize yourself or your family.

Face it, you don't even have to spend big to have decent clothes, just buy sensibly, clothes that hold their style and wear well. You just don't have to follow the me me me trend in styles and diet. Ignore the stinking commercials - they aren't YOU.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Comment

• Maybe you are not aware but you do not have to eat McDonalds or Hostess products to eat 3,000 calories per day.

You can over eat (too many calories for the amount of exercise you get) on apples and other healthy foods.
      Yes.... I know this. This is why I use fitday to track calories. I eat about 1200-1400 a day. Mainly meats (weighed) and veggies (eyeballed), some fruits(measured) and dairy(measured). Sadly, I can't eat that much revered whole grains, but cutting out that entire food group has helped. It's awesome- I can lose a pound or so a week! And still have plenty of energy to exercise *daily*. A nice variety of trail running, sprints and weight lifting, plus some walking.

Most fat people are experts at knowing exactly how much they are eating. In excrutiating detail. In all honesty, I feel blessed that I found paleo/primal as eating even the best whole grains triggered hunger in me that kept me from being able to keep my calorie count low enough to lose weight.

I wish some of you could know how hard weightloss really is for some people. Realize that I was desperate enough to lose weight to become a meat eater again after being a vegetarian for 15 years. It was a hard decision on many levels and may well cost me my relationship with my SO.

Trust me- last summer when I did Insanity followed by a 3 mile run 4-5 days a week, I was eating 1500 calories a day of "good foods" and not kidding around inadvertantly eating 3000. I'm gonna bet Carol and Haffy and some of my other fat friends know what it is like to do that, then step on the scale and see no loss.... and then hear someone tell you that "all you need to do is eat healthy and its cheap too!"....I know that. I eat healthy. I don't eat a lot. I exercise. I don't lose weight. I'm not alone.

It annoys me to no end to see fat people buying chips and soda. At the same time, I can understand why they have given up. If I wasn't vain, I might be tempted to give up too.

Comment

• Originally posted by carolprudm View Post
        It is about people who are overweight. I am overweight, therefor it is about me.
        I thought this thread was about people who were too overweight to ride. The blog linked in the OP showed "unacceptable" and "totally acceptable" examples. If you fall into the former category, it's about you. If not, it isn't.

Originally posted by blackstallion2 View Post
        So how 'bout it folks that fall on both sides of this issue? Do you have the courage to put yourself "out there"? Let's see your riding photos
        Profile pic is always there for all to see. I'm not overweight, but I didn't grow up riding and wasn't blessed with much athletic ability to begin with. So I've had to work hard to even be mediocre.

Originally posted by RougeEmpire View Post
        I was raised DIRT POOR, we NEVER at fast food.
        I didn't eat fast food growing up either, but we weren't dirt poor. My folks were products of the Depression and eating ANYWHERE other than home was viewed as a luxury. We took our food along for road trips,too. Mmmm ... peanut butter sandwiches, apples and Koolaid.

Eating a more healthy diet takes time and planning. It can cost more, but not that much. Frozen vegetables are available year 'round. Brown rice is only a little more expensive than white. Beans, lentils and other healthier carbs are totally affordable. And whole wheat bread doesn't cost any more than white. (Or you can make your own.)

Educate yourself on what is good for you, plan ahead, buy things when they're on sale and you can do it. It's all in what your priorities are.

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia73 View Post

I wish some of you could know how hard weightloss really is for some people.
          You are making a couple of pretty big assumptions there.
          Do you really think the rest of us are all skinny?
          Do you really think the rest of us do not struggle with weight loss?

Comment

• I've got a lot I can say on this topic (check out my profile pic, all 5'4" and 215 pounds of me). But I'm sticking to the original question:

Have you been the victim of overweight rider hate, or do you fall on the other side of the issue, believing that overweight riders are fair game for criticism, regardless of ability?
            I've had people tell me I'm hurting my horse to be riding him. I'm too fat to canter. I'm probably damaging his back. These are people who have never seen my horse in person, of course, nor actually watched me ride. Does it hurt? It's upsetting to be told I'm harming my horse when I do my utmost to keep him happy. I work to make sure his tack fits, that we warm up and cool down properly, that I'm staying balanced on him and not slamming into his back or using my hands to balance (admittedly, that last one took a few longline lessons with my reins taken away). So yeah, I guess that makes me a "victim of overweight rider hate" but I take it with a grain of salt.

If everyone started saying things like that, I might have to take a serious, hard look at me and my riding.

And yes, I've seen someone post picture of themself riding, and they're very overweight and every picture and video shows an inverted, uncomfortable horse and when people point that out, the person just goes "you're so mean!" even when they're tactful. That's different. That is someone with a problem. Maybe they need to find a sturdier horse, maybe they need a different coach to help them with their riding. Maybe they do just need to lose the weight (though, as many people have pointed out "just lose the weight" is easier said than done, even if you're on a good exercise/diet program).

I won't argue that there are fat people out there who don't need to be riding a horse. Most of those truly horrifically fat people don't because even walking around can be a challenge.

If you can get on the horse and the horse can walk you around, more power to you as long as you're realistic about what you and your horse can manage. Hopefully that will provide motivation to become better, and fitter. I know it has for me, but it's a long, long road.
            The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
            Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Comment

• https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Erikk and I in 2002

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Fe and I in 2006...she was a tiny 15 hh mare

Cajun and I in 1997

Anna and I in 2003 <?>

Erikk and I final group ride 2011

there you go 14 yos of pics
              Tamara
              Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
              I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

• Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                Puzzled here, trubandloki, when did "some of you" become "the rest of us"

That's a pretty big assumption, too, considering there are now 71,879 registered members (including alters )

It certainly is more difficult for some people to lose weight than others. Almost everyone finds that simple metabolism changes as we age drastically change what we can eat and when. It is easier for some than others so don't knock someone who battles with weight loss conscientiously on regular basis and shares that experience on a topic such as this.

I'm way overweight and out of shape, yet I know that it would be much easier for me to increase my exercise (particularly that which takes me in opposite directions from my kitchen) and lose weight than someone who exercises diligently and currently takes in far fewer calories than I do.

Life's not fair. Learn to appreciate the good stuff.
                "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Comment

• Originally posted by Everythingbutwings View Post
                  That's poor choices. I am certainly not wealthy, no where close. I make my own food, rarely eat out (why should I when I can make it better and cheaper myself and be at home?). I would never keep my horses if it meant not having health insurance or dental work. Hair and nails, they went by the wayside long ago. There are choices - keep the horse and don't have fast food. Not jeopardize yourself or your family.

Face it, you don't even have to spend big to have decent clothes, just buy sensibly, clothes that hold their style and wear well. You just don't have to follow the me me me trend in styles and diet. Ignore the stinking commercials - they aren't YOU.
                  Goodwill's your friend. Seriously. I CAN afford to the mall but I just don't see the point.

But really, if you are having to forego a $1.15 can of stewed tomatos and a $6 pack of ground beef to make the horse's board...it might be time to really think about if you can actually afford a horse. Because what about that $36 bottle of bute you suddenly need when he bangs himself up playing in the snow? (Gee, ask me where I pulled THAT number...)
                  Author Page
                  Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                  Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

• Please stop seeing slights where there have been none, and inserting the word probably into any given personal thought to make it appear that others are actually thinking this tripe. You have been as good at slinging assumptions and insults as anyone else on this thread.
                    Most of it is true. Many of the posters here who are overweight ride draft crosses or larger, sturdier horses. Average people look good in TS's breeches and an awful lot of average sized riders who exercise need a wider calfed boot. Skinny but fit people look great in white full seats. Are these at all insults?

I'll admit, the disability comment was without tact.

But what really annoys me.... is that the weight loss advice- the healthy eating advice is a thinly veiled insult. Do people really think that overweight people are simply uneducated as to proper food choices? It's no newflash to me to stick to the outside of the grocery store and not go down the aisles.

And I agree- probably no one who owns or has access to a horse has the excuse that the only place with food accessible is a bodega selling junk or a Bojangles. It is a problem for a part of our population and they don't have access to horses either.

I think Haffy said it best- god made some of us really efficient. Hey, if you have a budget of 2500 calories a day, it's going to be far easier for you to stay thin than if your budget is 1500. And unless you have tried to eat and stay satisfied and full on these lower calorie budgets, you probably should not tell people how to eat. My household lives off $100,000 a year. I don't go tell a family of 4 that makes $25,000 a year that "it's easy- just have the housekeeper come biweekly, buy your organics at the Farmers Market and don't go to horseshows"... because I have no clue of what it is like to need to run a household on a budget. So hey, you know what, if you are thin and eat 1200 calories a day and stay active, let me know how ya do it and what ya eat. If not, I don't want to hear from you since you probably eat more than me!

Comment

Puzzled here, trubandloki, when did "some of you" become "the rest of us"
                      You can read it that way...but it is meant so mean that she is assuming that everyone who is not agreeing with her must be skinny and has no problem losing weight. I am saying that it is an incorrect thing to assume that everyone who is not agreeing is actually skinny.

I asked if she thought the rest of us are all skinny? That is no way saying the rest of us are or are not skinny.

Comment

• I'll bite. I'm 5'5" and between 110-115, depending.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL237.../393084239.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL237.../392716180.jpg

Excuse the somewhat egregious long spot.

I would like to point out that Mags is probably more fit than I am even though I weigh less than she does. I just started a running program and it is HARD, and this is from someone who is generally active between riding, taking care of the farm, and biking around town. 5K at a RUN is a goal for me, not yet an accomplishment - although I can walk the three miles easy.

I'm trying now to make fitness my priority since that's what helps my horse - my ability to control my body and help him do his job.

Of course it's not always as simple as eat healthy = fit or thin. There's genetics and about a million other factors at play. That's why I think it's really hard to make so many blanket statements about how people "should" look or what they "should" do. My only blanket statement is I don't care if you weigh 80 pounds or 400 lbs, please wear clothes that fit you. Otherwise, it's just unflattering. My other blanket statement is that it really can be cheap to eat healthy but I already said that one.

It's getting better but there IS a lack of good nutricious food sources in many urban areas. A previous poster mentioned Wegman's. It's a great place to shop, but I don't think they are in Anacostia. Probably hard to grow vegies there, too
                        Kind of depends. For a while there was a farmer's market in Anacostia, and it accepted food stamps. There are a whole bunch of other farmer's markets not far from there. Anacostia has grocery stores - including a YES! Organic Market. I would say at the very least, access is improving. I'm not sure, however, that education is - I know a lot of young students that cannot cook from scratch to save their lives.

I did grow veggies on a standard DC balcony. Not enough to feed a family of four but enough to supplement.

A side note, my spell checker would like to change "Anacostia" to "Anaconda."
                        ---
                        They're small hearts.

Comment

• Wegmans is a grocery store, not a farm market. Around here they are located in the urban areas.
                          The biggest farmer's market is also located in urban neighborhood.

Comment

• Originally posted by 7HL View Post
                            from the article:

With generalizations and stereotypes there are some truths.

I have a dear dear friend who is like a sister to me. She is extremely morbidly obese. I LOVE HER. I could care less what shape she is. She has never been sick a day in her life other than the common cold, she does not have diabetes and she is normotensive.
                            Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
                            Sam: A job? Does it pay?
                            Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
                            Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Comment

• LOL, Trixie, you are the better rider though....

Comment

• Originally posted by trubandloki View Post

No nor do I assume that there aren't people out there who get so frustrated when they read threads like this, because they have super efficient metabolisms and burn of the calories they eat just by the act of swallowing. The people who are asked if they are, or simply assumed to be anorexic.

To not make this thread all about me, I've started a spinoff, because I genuinely want to understand what the majority mean when they say

'to fat to ride'

If you would go here

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=337407

and vote in the anonymous multi choice poll, it would help this rider for one to maybe understand better what size of big rider we are talking about.
                                "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

• Wegmans is a grocery store, not a farm market. Around here they are located in the urban areas.
                                  The biggest farmer's market is also located in urban neighborhood
                                  Was this directed at my post? Because I do know what a Wegmans is - but I was just trying to make the point that there IS access to "good nutritious food sources" in the neighborhood mentioned - i.e., a farmer's market and a decent grocery store. I'm pretty sure Anacostia also has a Giant and a Safeway, Wegmans notwithstanding (there aren't any in DC proper).

Actually, the Ward 8 (Anacostia) Farmers Market will double the value of SNAP, EBT, WIC or senior food vouchers for produce.

Access in the city has gotten much better than it used to be - at least here in DC.
                                  ---
                                  They're small hearts.

Comment

Want to do it, not belly ache that it won't work for you. Make the time and stop complaining that you HAVE to eat fast food and can't eat healthy. Don't be obtuse.
                                    Umm, I'm not saying that I have to eat fast food. I AM saying that it is hard for some people in the inner city to get healthy food. I suspect many of the children are eating school food because it is free or cheap.

FWIW I live on a farm in Spotsylvania. I eat fast food maybe once a month and then it's usually Subway or Chipotle (no rice or beans).

To make this horse related, excuse me while I go muck 11 stalls
                                    I wasn't always a Smurf
                                    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                                    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                                    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=3&theater

Spring 2011. The angle any woman hates

Later Spring 2011

does this golfcart make me look fat?

Really, we have to post to show our size? And therefore our ability to fall in the offended or not offended camp? What's the algorithm for that?

Comment

• OMG !!!

that's a good way to get chiggers!!
                                        but it's a great pic of you!

Tamara
                                        Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                                        I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

• Well I posted to show my size because people were playing fast and loose with the the definition of obese and what 200lbs looked like. We all come in various shapes and sizes and may still have weight in common. To me it's always useful to humanize these kinds of discussion.

Paula
                                          He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

Working...
                                          X