Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

Front - Main
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

"Fat rider" discussion

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Fat rider" discussion

A timely and provocative topic, especially after the holiday. Have you been the victim of overweight rider hate, or do you fall on the other side of the issue, believing that overweight riders are fair game for criticism, regardless of ability?

http://www.eighteenhands.com/2012/01...o-little-time/

As long as my horse and trainer don't have a problem with my weight, what do I care what a bunch of random, unimportant strangers think?

I quit worrying what others thought about me a long time ago. When they start paying my bills for me, is when I'll start caring.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Comment

Who'da thunk it??

Wow! COTH is ROCKING OUT this week! We have a parelli thread, a fat riders thread, AND a LAWYERS thread! It's a good thing I'm caught up at work today!
      Alis volat propriis.

Comment

Aren't you supposed to be politically correct and say "womanly sized".
        Last edited by 7HL; Jan. 11, 2012, 11:33 AM.
        The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.

Comment

Originally posted by 7HL View Post
          Aren't you supposed to be politically correct and say "womanly sized".
          No. Male riders can be "overweight," too.

re: the blog that's linked. I've seen people who are too heavy to ride. I've seen people who were heavy and rode pretty well. So what?

The focus should be on horsemanship, not poundage. If your focus IS on weight, then do something about it.

Comment

Try "Reubensesque" They liked 'em with a little more meat on the bones in those days!

Now, my roomie (who rides both English and Western), is by no means overweight (she's a size 6, 5'5", maybe 125 lbs.), but she most definitely has an "hourglass" figure, i.e., big busted, small waist, broad hips. She always laments she was born 125 years too late and would have been the epitome of feminine beauty in the 1890s, a la Lillian Russell. Yet because of her "shape" she's had people say she was "too heavy." Ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by blackstallion2 View Post
              A timely and provocative topic, especially after the holiday. Have you been the victim of overweight rider hate, or do you fall on the other side of the issue, believing that overweight riders are fair game for criticism, regardless of ability?

http://www.eighteenhands.com/2012/01...o-little-time/

from the article:

Fat people are lazy.
              All fat people do is sit, watch TV, and eat.
              If you are fat you have diabetes
              All fat people ate HUGE amounts of food
              Every fat person has major medical problems and is a drain on the health care system.
              Fat people are disgusting
              Fat people should never ride horses
              Being fat and horseback riding is animal abuse

With generalizations and stereotypes there are some truths.
              The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.

Comment

The need to shift their numbers around a bit, too. I'm pretty fit without much excess weight. I'm also strong as an ox. And I'm "fat" according to the charts.... coming in around 200 (185-190 in summer) at 6-0.

That doesn't mean I don't want to be lighter for my horse.
                Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
                http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Comment

I have been both!

Swarthy comes to mind when I look at my pictures lol

I have a problem with people in general and bouncing around on a horses back... You can be 100 pounds dripping wet and damage a horses back by doing that.

There was a TB here at our local lessoning facility whose back was ruined beyond repair and only young riders were on him attempting to "jump" but really they jumped more than he did and you could hear the resounding smack whenever landing butt to saddle

Coming from a fomer thicky thick girl... Learning to not bounce on a horses back is a universal nessecity
                  ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
                  http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mp View Post
                    No. Male riders can be "overweight," too.
                    Agreed!

But not many of us would dare to wear breeches. Specially if plus sized.

Comment

Somebody please notify Michelle Obama about this thread. We have to put an end to the anti-obesity campaign in this country! Super size it baby!
                      "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Comment

Originally posted by Belg View Post
                        The need to shift their numbers around a bit, too. I'm pretty fit without much excess weight. I'm also strong as an ox. And I'm "fat" according to the charts.... coming in around 200 (185-190 in summer) at 6-0.

That doesn't mean I don't want to be lighter for my horse.
                        Appearances can be deceiving in many ways. I watched a program regarding the "obesity epidemic" and the truths and/or misconceptions about weight. They showed an example of a guy who was 5'9" tall, weighed something like 240 lbs (!) and had LOW cholesterol, no diabetes, and ran marathons!

Comment

Originally posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post

Swarthy comes to mind when I look at my pictures
                          What does skin color have to do with it?

Comment

When you set out to do a physical sport/activity you open yourself up to criticisms of physical condition- people get critical if you show up with a skinny or fat or obviously unfit horse, why shouldn't they do the same if the rider suffers from physical condition problems?

fat isn't helpful to performing physical activities, period. If you want to be athletic and ride to the best of your abilities, you will attempt to not be fat. Being unfit and skinny isn't any better, though; a fitter, but fat person will usually ride far better than a skinny unfit person.

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post
                              When you set out to do a physical sport/activity you open yourself up to criticisms of physical condition- people get critical if you show up with a skinny or fat or obviously unfit horse, why shouldn't they do the same if the rider suffers from physical condition problems?

fat isn't helpful to performing physical activities, period. If you want to be athletic and ride to the best of your abilities, you will attempt to not be fat. Being unfit and skinny isn't any better, though; a fitter, but fat person will usually ride far better than a skinny unfit person.

One of the nicest riders I've watched do a hunter round was a heavy girl. She was tall, and fit, but heavy. And I don't mean obese or anything like that, just thickly built. You know, some people have thicker frames and some people have thinner frames. The next round I watched had a very slender girl who did not look very strong and had a bit of difficulty with her large strong horse. I think the real focus for riding should be fitness and not weight.

That being said, I'm currently at 135 with a target goal of 120. I'm 5'2"ish. I have a medium pony who can pack 140 but I'd rather be farther into her comfort zone. In her case I will focus more on weight than fitness as far as riding goes, but only because she's a pony with a weight limit. For my WB, I definitely want to be strong!

ETA: about weight, too, muscle weighs more than fat. So you could be a very fit, healthy person, but according to the scales be too heavy.
                              Rebel Without Cash!

Comment

I'm on the rounder side of the spectrum, and have found that the best way to keep the railbirds quiet is to win.

Comment

What grown woman does not have days she feels fat? Truly fat is a term used loosely. I am 15 pounds heavier than I was as a teenager, I see rolls where once there was smooth skin, I am 5'5 and I wear an 8 (or a 30 in breeches). Am I fat? Depends on who you ask.
                                  SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
                                  Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
                                  The Barkalicious Bakery
                                  On Facebook!!!

Comment

Well just don't ask a man if you are fat. We value our lives.
                                    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
                                      ...and have found that the best way to keep the railbirds quiet is to win.
                                      TOUCHE'

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by arabhorse2 View Post
                                        As long as my horse and trainer don't have a problem with my weight, what do I care what a bunch of random, unimportant strangers think?

I quit worrying what others thought about me a long time ago. When they start paying my bills for me, is when I'll start caring.
                                        This is also my philosphy, but I tolerate fat insults to anyone about the same way that I tolerate racists jokes. Not very well ... But I have found that what goes around tends to come around upon highly critical people.

Comment

Working...
                                        X