• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

WWYD? Sold Horse on Payment Plan and Now Buyer Doesn't Want To Pay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWYD? Sold Horse on Payment Plan and Now Buyer Doesn't Want To Pay

I recently sold my lovely, fun pony. As a re-rider she was great for me and built up my confidence. With a heavy-heart I sold her in November because I found out I was pregnant and could not afford the $600 board for a horse my doctor's didn't want me riding.

An older timid woman bought her, but said she needed a payment plan. I was already very negotiable on the price of my pony because the woman seemed like a great home. So, the woman paid 50% in late November up front and was supposed to pay another 25% on 1/15 and the remaining 25% on 2/1. So, we dropped her off at the woman's barn in early December. Right before Xmas she wrote me an email saying how much she loved my pony and that she was PERFECT! ...But that her gelding (it's only the two of them) was acting stud-like and she was thinking about finding him a new home. Fast forward two weeks, to yesterday, the woman calls and says MY horse isn't working out and that she will not pay the remaining 50%. I know my pony well, and she never did any of the things this woman is claiming in my care. She said she is flighty, head shy, disrespectful, etc.

Per the contract, the woman's 50% is nonrefundable if she defaults on payments. She mentioned taking my mare to a lesson barn, putting her in the lesson program, and seeing if she would calm down there, I said that was not an option.

I just don't know what to do--I'm 14 weeks pregnant, shouldn't be riding. Also, the woman hasn't even ridden my horse in the month she has had her. When she came to try her she said she had only ridden her gelding twice in the last year because he scared her. So, my mare is probably fat, happy, and completely unfit. It will likely take me several months to get her in sellable condition, if i weren't prego!

I can't help but think this woman is just trying to scam me out of the remaining 50%, especially since she knows i'm pregnant and can't justify paying board. What would you do?

Protect your pony and your money: go get her NOW, before she disappears into a lesson or sale barn and you lose all contact with the buyer. Once the pony is back in your control, you can think through other options, such as leasing her to a lesson program yourself, putting her out on a free lease through CotH, etc. While this may seem overwhelming at the moment, things will be far worse if you do not re-claim the pony Right Now per the contract requirements ... then you will be writing posts about missing / stolen ponies and monies.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Comment

I have to agree with the above post. Keep the emails where she says she is now not going to pay. The day she defaults (because you can not really take your pony back until she defaults), go pick up the pony.

I realize having your pony is not what you wanted right now, but I would guess your pony is fine and once you get her back you will have no problem finding her a new job.

Comment

Agree with ShotenStar -- and would add that maybe you could find a cheaper place to board the pony while you figure out the next course of action. (And, next course of action could be to lease to a Pony Club kid, your pony sounds perfect for that)

This may be a blessing in disguise if you can figure out something for the pony while you are pregnant; you may be very grateful for a safe, confidence building pony after you have your baby.

If you need help finding another place to board, you could post your location and COTHers may be able make recommendations.

Good luck!
        https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
        Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
        www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

I am not sure what your area is like, but I would get my pony and try to find pasture board until you can find another buyer. Or put her back in the barn she was at and find someone to lease her for the time being. At any rate, I would go get the pony now, today and figure the rest out once she is safe.

Comment

Go get her now.
            What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

Get a lawyer, and get your horse back.

Comment

Take-home: Cash up front on the barrelhead before the merchandise leaves the store. If payments must be made, then horse should remain with the seller and board should be charged to the buyer until all payments...including the interim board... are paid in full. Then the horse changes hands and the deal is done.
                Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
                http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Belg View Post
                  Take-home: Cash up front on the barrelhead before the merchandise leaves the store. If payments must be made, then horse should remain with the seller and board should be charged to the buyer until all payments...including the interim board... are paid in full. Then the horse changes hands and the deal is done.
                  Totally yes on this one!

Comment

I got in that same problem with two horses I sold a few years ago.
                    The people bought them, came to get them and then asked for terms to pay for them, that I foolishly gave them.
                    One buyer was a friend of a friend, the other a nurse at a local hospital, stable sounding people.
                    She took him to try for a week, then sprung the payment in terms, then didn't pay for weeks, etc.

When they were late with the payments, I finally went to get the horses.
                    No telling where they would have ended if I didn't.

Lesson learned, never, ever let a horse go anywhere to stay, unless paid in full.

Go get the horse and settle with the buyer any way you have to, then see what to do next with the horse.

Comment

Pick her up on 1/15 if the woman doesn't have cash in hand.

Find a kid to free lease her or put her in pasture board when you figure out what to do.

There are plenty of horse-things you can do while pregnant that don't involve riding. I taught my horses how to long line (drive) and work in hand.

Never, ever let a horse leave your property until it's paid for in full. I've seen too many horror stories and know too many people who have had to "repossess" them. And others who found their horse was gone when they wanted to get them back.
                      Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                      EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Go get your pony now.
                        ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

Comment

I sold my first horse in a very similar situation (two payments but very under-priced because the person seemed so great, verbal agreement that I would have first right of refusal if she needed to sell, etc.) Like you, she made the first payment, we talked a few times and she raved about how great he was ... then the second payment just didn't show up.
                          When I called to ask her where it was, I started the phone call with, "How's he doing?"
                          Answer: "Well, um, my back's been bothering me and my doctor told me I can't ride anymore. So, I sold him."
                          Me: "WHAAA?!?!"
                          Never mind the (verbal) first-right of refusal agreement; this lady hadn't even finished paying for the horse and she'd sold him without telling me!
                          I wasn't pregnant, but I was halfway across the country in college (why I sold in the first place) and while I guess I could've made a stink about my first right of refusal and demanded him back, in truth I could neither afford to ship him across the country nor find and pay for boarding/transportation, etc. back home.
                          I let it go (the second payment did show up a week later, though I suspect she sold him for far more than she had paid), but it bothered me for YEARS. She gave me the new owners' number, but of course I was just a weird stranger stalking "their" horse when I called to check on him. It kept me up on random nights for several years, wondering if I'd abandoned my horse in a bad situation and wondering whether I should've handled that phone call differently and demanded him back, per our agreement and the fact she hadn't finished paying, rather than capitulating to her "Oh, I sold him."
                          The happy ending to that story (though I only call it happy with the benefit of maturity and hindsight, and appreciation of the luck involved) is that the new owners ended up keeping that horse and taking AMAZING care of him to the end of his days. Better care than I did, apparently, because I later learned they'd left a boarding barn I kept him at for years because they didn't feel the BO bedded the stalls deeply enough for His Highness!
                          So, no real advice for you (though the advice you've been given is good), just empathy for the situation. Good luck.
                          I evented just for the Halibut.

Comment

Get ye the legal advice applicable in your area.

Then take it from there.

I can see the board bill being steep (which it is) but there are cheaper options.

And I am sure pony won't mind not being ridden. besides, maybe there is a youth group in the area who could take on sweet pony for the time you are laid up.

Don't let the riding part hinder you.
                            Originally posted by BigMama1
                            Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                            GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

What ShotenStar and AlaGirl said.

Particularly the part about not getting hung up on the not riding part. You're going to be pregnant for 9 months, not 9 years. Please get your pony out of there.

Start looking for inexpensive field board (can be found) now, and go get your pony.
                              I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
                              I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

If she doesn't make the payment on 1/15, then follow-up on the contract you have with her: i.e., the horse is yours and you should go get her. I'd call around today looking for pasture board for the horse, or talk to your old barn and see if they can take the horse for a month beginning on 1/15 while you look for something else.

Don't stress about not being able to ride the horse right now. As another poster said, pregnancy only lasts 9 months, and you may welcome the opportunity just to go groom the horse and de-stress yourself with barn therapy both before and after the baby arrives.

Good luck.
                                "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Comment

Without too much confrontation (yet), inform her you'll be picking up the horse. What you don't need is for her to get spiteful and to hurt the horse, starve her, or dump her at auction to "get even" with you. The red flag is that she's describing your horse as having behavioral issues, and to some idiots this is a justification for beating/abuse. Get her out of there now... if you wait a month, the horse you pick up may be terrified of people or physically hurt.

Once the horse is safe, write her a firmly worded letter reminding her of what she agreed to in the contract, send her the bill for the reasonable expenses you incurred because she wanted to return the horse, and give a date you expect a reply.

If there is anything at all wrong with the horse when she comes back, document it immediately. Photograph her walking off the trailer in good light at all angles. Get your vet involved, if necessary.

The bottom line is this may likely go to court. If there is more than a thousand or two dollars lost, it may be worth it to consult a lawyer. If it's a smaller amount lost, you may have a chance in Small Claims court.

Don't stress about not being able to ride the horse. Just get her back safely & find an affordable boarding barn for her. Then you can decide if you want to try again to sell her, maybe lease her out, send her off for training (or training-promoting-sale barn), whatever.
                                  Veterinarians for Equine Welfare

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice! I really should not have let her go on a payment plan, and I will never accept another one again. If you can't afford to pay for a horse outright, then you probably shouldn't have one.

I told the woman I would gladly take her back and I could come get her. She back-pedaled and said maybe she just needs to be lunged (??? This pony never needed lunging before) and she wanted to try that for a week. I told her to she has until 1/16 (the day after the day specified for the next payment in the contract) to let me know if she wants to keep her. If not, I'll happily come get her. I know I have a stall at my old barn, my sister has offered to ride her to get her back into shape, and fortunately my DH wanted me to keep her anyways (said it kept me sane). Deep down I'm hoping she does come back.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncingthetrot View Post
                                      Thanks for all the great advice! I really should not have let her go on a payment plan, and I will never accept another one again. If you can't afford to pay for a horse outright, then you probably shouldn't have one.

I told the woman I would gladly take her back and I could come get her. She back-pedaled and said maybe she just needs to be lunged (??? This pony never needed lunging before) and she wanted to try that for a week. I told her to she has until 1/16 (the day after the day specified for the next payment in the contract) to let me know if she wants to keep her. If not, I'll happily come get her. I know I have a stall at my old barn, my sister has offered to ride her to get her back into shape, and fortunately my DH wanted me to keep her anyways (said it kept me sane). Deep down I'm hoping she does come back.

Your DH wanted you to keep the horse?!

And you let it go???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worst case of pregnancy hormones I ever heard of! <faints>
                                      Originally posted by BigMama1
                                      Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                                      GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Originally posted by ShotenStar View Post
                                        Protect your pony and your money: go get her NOW, before she disappears into a lesson or sale barn and you lose all contact with the buyer. Once the pony is back in your control, you can think through other options, such as leasing her to a lesson program yourself, putting her out on a free lease through CotH, etc. While this may seem overwhelming at the moment, things will be far worse if you do not re-claim the pony Right Now per the contract requirements ... then you will be writing posts about missing / stolen ponies and monies.

*star*
                                        VERY well said!! GL!
                                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fentre...24774504235082

http://fentressfieldsequestriancenter.com/

Comment

Working...
                                        X