• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Over 60 TB mares being rescued in Louisiana - update post 134 - foal was born!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over 60 TB mares being rescued in Louisiana - update post 134 - foal was born!

For those of you on FB, you can see the details of TB mares being seized from a breeding farm in Many, LA, on the Louisiana Horse Rescue Association's FB page. Apparently there are small animals being seized, too. Citizens in the area had complained of seeing horse corpses and neglected horses on the property.
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/LHRA1

If anyone can help by donating time or money or supplies, please contact LHRA.
    If you're not on FB, the here is the contact info for LHRA:
    http://lahorserescue.com/id3.html

Here is a list of the mares (apparently one of the Cat mares just died):
    ALGEBRA
    AMBITT'S BULLET
    ANTI VERSAY
    AUTO BE A PRO
    AVIE'S TRICK
    BEAUTIFUL LYRICS
    BEEP BEEP
    BEMYBABYTONITE
    BEYERS FORTUNE
    BRASSIE ROAD
    BUNNY CAT
    CALL ME EPPI
    CAYLA'S PLAYMATE
    CLAUDCAT
    CROSSED WIRE
    DA VINNA
    DANCE RECITAL
    DARING TRU
    DILLYDALYDEED
    FABULOUS GAMBLE
    FLATTERMEFOREVER
    FORMAL BLOSSOM
    GALORIOUS
    GEORGE SAND
    GREAT AUNT ALICE
    I DREAM OF JEAN D
    I HAD TO LAUGH
    INVALIDATE
    JEWELRY TALKS
    LADY DI'S KIPPER
    LE BIG TIME
    LISSANISKY
    MAGGIE'S MISSY
    MISS SALTY GIFT
    MONITA'S HI STEPPER
    MOONLIGHT MANGO
    NASSAU BOUND
    NOTICE
    ONOITSMOTHERINLAW
    O'NORA
    PARTY DREAMS
    PEWTER POWER
    RADCLIFFE
    RALINA
    SALTY COWGIRL
    SALTY JJ
    SAMURAI DANCER
    SATTIDY'S GIRL
    SHEIKRA
    SMOKIN BONNIE
    TACTICAL VIXEN
    TIFF'S PROBLEM
    WINTERLAND
    Last edited by lep; Feb. 8, 2012, 06:59 PM.

The Texas Thoroughbred Assoc. is also helping with this rescue. I haven't figured out how to copy and paste on this ipad yet, but you can see details on their Facebook page also.

I'm surprised there aren't any stallions listed. Every effing Tb. breeder in La. has their own stallion(s). That slot money isn't going to help if you just breed crap.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Comment

• Original Poster

stallions

Who knows, there could be. I wouldn't be surprised.

Many is in NW Louisiana, hence Texas's help!
      http://www.texasthoroughbred.com/

https://www.facebook.com/TexasThoroughbredAssociation

Comment

Damn, I thought we were don with this crap, now it's round........I lost count on these large scale problems!
        Originally posted by BigMama1
        Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
        GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

I live 10 minutes from Many and work with several horse people in the area. I've not heard anything about this.

It doesn't surprise me though. You cannot find hay here anymore. I had to drive over 3 hours round-trip for some super-expensive coastal. That's the closest hay I could find that wasn't moldy. I hope these horses get homes, but it might be better to put them down. It's hard to feed them when hay just isn't available.

Comment

The OTTB placement program Remember Me Rescue, owned by Dallas and Donna Keen, the trainers who I got my now-retired advanced level eventer through as a baby, are also helping with this effort.
            They are accepting donations to help the rescue and have posted some harrowing pictures on their Facebook page. Don't click if you don't want to see horses that look like hat racks or horses getting pink juice. The pictures aren't pretty, but they are the reality of this situation. Note that some of these horses are still in racing plates. WTF?

ETA: Here's a link to the news story about it. Apparently authorities have been working with the horse's own since November. According to Remember Me, those going in are finding numerous dead horses in the fields, horses suffering from impactions from having eaten tree bark, and horses that are alive but too far gone to help.
            I evented just for the Halibut.

Comment

If you go to the Louisiana Horse Rescue Association website, there's a sidebar option for Help the Many, LA Horses. When you get to that page, there will be a PayPal donate button. Please help if you can. Thanks!

Here's the link. They are a 501(c)(3) so I hope posting this is ok.

http://lahorserescue.com/id43.html
              It's 2017. Do you know where your old horse is?

www.streamhorsetv.com -- website with horse show livestream listings and links.

Comment

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                Damn, I thought we were don with this crap, now it's round........I lost count on these large scale problems!
                And it is going to keep on happening...

We were in court on Friday with a neglect case/seizure (were awarded the horses) and helped seize horses in the same county that day. Both cases were small, but they have a large case in that county where they need to seize, and they can't. There's no help.....

I think these cases are getting to be terrifying (large and small) and I foresee more sleepless nights for me as I worry about the ones we can't help!
                Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Comment

This is very sad news. It's not a hay issue, it's a hoarding issue and not asking for help and just letting your horses starve to death as if you are on another planet, with no help from the equestrian community.

There is a line between pride and love/responsibility for your horse(s). Pick up the phone and start asking for help in giving the horses away if you cannot sell them. Letting them starve to death is just plain cruel.

Comment

I sent in my dribble of a donation. Its a horrific situation from the starved horses to the lack of hay available for the rescues to even be able to feed them. If my donation goes to pink juice, so be it. I just don't want the horses to suffer anymore than they already have.

Comment

There are DEAD horses sitting in this guys field and they're giving him until 1/15/12 to rehome the ones who haven't died yet? HUH???? He should be sitting in prison, someone responsible should be attempting to help these horses, and the auctioner should get in there to sell the house/barn/property to pay the feed these animals for the rest of their lives.

does anyone else find the 1/15/12 date a little unbelivable?
                      Fresh, Frozen & ISO Warmblood Breedings FB Group

Comment

• Original Poster

not 1/15

Rescuers are there now evaluating horses. My understanding is that transport will begin tomorrow for those that can be saved.

Comment

• Original Poster

Update just received from LHRA

5 horses were taken today; less than half the mares are alive; 6 of 20 2011 foals are alive. Here is the update from LHRA's FB page:

"To those offering fostering/transport etc, Thank You but at the moment we need to quarantine anything we remove from the property. After a couple of weeks when the horses are stabilized and we know the full effect of what we're dealing with we'll be looking for adoptive and possibly foster homes. I want to send a personal Thank You to Dr. Mirza and the LSU Vet school for their much needed and incredible help today. Without them, we couldn't have been effective. A larger vet team from LSU will be onsite tomorrow - we are so grateful for this assistance. Today we did a lot of firefighting and stablizing. Tomorrow we hope to further identify (many of the mares we need to look up tatoo numbers on so don't have final identifications yet). Of the 53 mares on the list, there are only twenty and change alive right now. Of the 20 2011 foals born, only 6 remain, and three of those are at risk. The 2011 foal crop seems fairly stable and in better health than anything else on the farm. We removed only five horses from the farm today - five healthy enough to go and with valid paperwork."

Comment

It is heartbreaking to read the numbers: 20 alive out of 53, 20 foals only 6 alive... so sad. The pictures on the rescue FB page are hard to look at, the other rescue Remember me... the link does not work, takes me back to my own page and I cannot find that rescue on FB

Comment

Originally posted by FalseImpression View Post
                              It is heartbreaking to read the numbers: 20 alive out of 53, 20 foals only 6 alive... so sad. The pictures on the rescue FB page are hard to look at, the other rescue Remember me... the link does not work, takes me back to my own page and I cannot find that rescue on FB
                              Remember Me is on FB, it just has its FB link in caps:
                              http://www.facebook.com/REMEMBERMERESCUE

Absolutely heartbreaking.
                              "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

A friend of mine was just over and recognized the place from the pictures. It's right by his house, so 10 minutes from me.

I don't have the room or hay to take one in, but I'm headed to NOLA next weekend if any of them need to be transported down that direction. As long as there is somewhere I could leave the trailer for a few days so I don't have to try to park it in NOLA, I can take two. At least I heard some of them were headed that direction, which may or may not be true.

Comment

• Original Poster

transport

Remember Me's FB page says that horses will be transported to a farm in Alexandria today, and horses will be available for pick up from there when Coggins results come back (2-15 days).

Comment

Originally posted by lep View Post
                                    Remember Me's FB page says that horses will be transported to a farm in Alexandria today, and horses will be available for pick up from there when Coggins results come back (2-15 days).
                                    If anyone needs one or two transported between Many and NOLA, general area, next weekend, I can do it. I would offer more help on that front, but I just won't be able to for a while. Work is kicking my butt and it's all I can do to keep up with my own critters and responsibilities when I'm not working.

Comment

• Original Poster

Hampton, please contact the LHRA about possible transport.

I'm hoping that all the horses that are alive go to the 2 rescue groups involved, and that none of them are left with local "custodians" pending this guy's trial.

I'm also hoping that the judge convicts this guy of felony cruelty. My fear, though, is that pity will be taken on the owner because he didn't know he was doing anything wrong (this is coming from an insider). Also, being a small town, everyone knows everyone (including the judge), and no one wants to piss anybody off. I think a letter-writing campaign to the judge might be necessary at some point. If so, I'll post on here so that people can write to him. He needs to know that there are more people watching this situation than just the locals who think it's okay to not only own skinny horses, but also to breed them and SEND THEM TO THE TRACK.

Comment

I looked at the news story linked in one of the earliest posts on this thread. The picture with the story shows some thin, but not starving, horses eating a round bale. The first few comments on the story show that people do not really understand how bad the situation is. I emailed the reporter who did the story, asking for continued updates, and more details about how tragic the situation actually is. As much as I hate to see pictures of starving horses, and hear about this kind of thing, it might help get public opinion in favor of prosecuting the hell out of the owner.
                                        It's 2017. Do you know where your old horse is?

www.streamhorsetv.com -- website with horse show livestream listings and links.

Comment

Working...
                                        X