• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Mouthiness in young horses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouthiness in young horses?

Are young horses often quite mouthy? My 3 year old seems to want to get her lips and teeth around everything. She has nipped me on several occasions and always gets a sharp slap on the neck for that as I won't tolerate it, but generally she also lips me or her leadrope, and she picks things up like crutches, buckets or a broom if they are lying- she also likes to take my keys out of my pocket and throw them around!

Is this normal young horse behaviour or is she a bit orally fixated?!

Her teeth were in dire need of doing when she came and have had them seen by a very good dentist (they were rasped about 2 wks ago now- I was appalled by the little sharp bits that came off!).
    Horse Selling Hell
    My Writing
    People who think they know everything about horses know nothing

I think it is. When I brought my first horse home as a 4 year old he would lip/nip at everything! Always had to have the cross ties in his mouth and actually never grew out of if. My current horse (5yo) also nips at everything, I find that he will do it more if I reprimand him. He will bite at my clothing but if he can see skin he generally leaves me alone. But brushes, especially rubber curies are all the fun.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

Comment

My guy did this when he was younger, and grew out of it. I bought him at 2 and a half, and he would nibble EVERYTHING - my shoulder, lead ropes, tack, etc. He never bit, just wanted to use his lips to play.

He gradually grew out of it, and what really helped was having him turned out with three older geldings. They told him in no uncertain terms what was and wasn't acceptable! Within about two weeks he was noticeably less mouthy.

It took him a few years to totally stop though. He's now almost six, and never tries to nibble me, ropes, etc. He'll still use his lips to check out new things, but has stopped picking up brushes, ropes, etc.

Comment

Umm, NO, young horses are not mouthy unless you LET them be mouthy. I have raised and trained a lot of youngsters, including stallions, from birth right on up. They learn very quickly here that they keep their mouth to themselves.

Quick and hard is how it works, with a verbal command "NO". Most all get it the first maybe the second time. If they don't, I catch them just as they start the act and my hand is below their mouth, as they go to 'nip', my hand goes and slams them in the lips so their own lips hit their teeth. POW once and Hard! I have yet in years and years of having to ocassionally employ this method never had a horse cut his lip or tongue BUT it stops them right in their tracks, I then move in and make them move back quick and in a very meaningful way. They think long and hard about trying it again.

The rule on my farm is "you bite me I bite back harder". No negotiating.

Comment

To be clear - my horse was never a biter. He liked to nibble, and pick things up (brushes, lead ropes, etc.) with his lips. I never made a big deal out of it, and he's outgrown it.

Comment

My mare is 4 and when she came to me late this summer, she was nibbly. Just wanted to explore everything with her mouth. I don't, however, let her put her mouth on me, any of my equipment, crossties, etc. I would flick her in the nose if she did, and that ended it very quickly.

I do think a lot of it was insecurity and immaturity, and when she's nervous she will still occasionally get a little lippy. It is not aggressive or nasty on her part, but a quick flick to the nose usually make her quit.
            We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

Yes, this is normal.
              Pro Slaughter
              Anti Parelli

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by GreyDes View Post
                My guy did this when he was younger, and grew out of it. I bought him at 2 and a half, and he would nibble EVERYTHING - my shoulder, lead ropes, tack, etc. He never bit, just wanted to use his lips to play.

He gradually grew out of it, and what really helped was having him turned out with three older geldings. They told him in no uncertain terms what was and wasn't acceptable! Within about two weeks he was noticeably less mouthy.

It took him a few years to totally stop though. He's now almost six, and never tries to nibble me, ropes, etc. He'll still use his lips to check out new things, but has stopped picking up brushes, ropes, etc.
                Interesting- my mare has only ever been allowed out alone before I got her, perhaps she has missed this little education.
                Horse Selling Hell
                My Writing
                People who think they know everything about horses know nothing

Comment

Sigh, previously I have been lucky and my foals were fillies but this year Beeza had a colt. He wants to bite SOOOOO badly and she tolerates it. I've even seen him bite her EARS.

Every time he tries it with me I holler at him and get really big and nasty looking but it's only a temporary fix
                  I wasn't always a Smurf
                  Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                  "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                  The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

My 10 month old was mouthy the first month of his life and was told that it was not acceptable under any circumstances. Now he is the best boy and doesn't put his mouth on anything at all.
                    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!

Comment

Of course it's normal. It's how a young horse explores and learns about its environment.

That being said, there's a fine line between youthful exploration and down right biting for dominance. There comes a point where a youngster should know who you are and the need to mouth you is over.

I did own one horse that bit no matter what we (and trainers) did to stop the behavior. He was never viscious about it, he just nipped at everyone. He was a great horse in every other respect, so we just plain gave up and stayed away from his mouth.
                      Surgeon General warns: "drinking every time Trump lies during the debate could result in acute alcohol poisoning."

Comment

One of mine is still that way at 17. It really doesn't matter how many times you correct the behavior with him. My others just quit after correction and when they grew up a bit, but the one who is mouthy just acts like a baby about everything. He bites cross ties, leads, reins, his stall door, buckets and tries to lick every person he comes in contact with. He doesn't try to bite but he just has to get his tongue on everything. It is really annoying. The other day he licked the farrier in the behind while he was trying to shoe him.

Comment

Mine used to be really mouthy on everything including me. What worked for me is always knowing that it might be coming, and having either a fist or an elbow ready. No, I never punched my horse but if my closed hand was there and he went to nip it, I would have afist ready for him to bop himself. Same with the elbow.

He doesn't nip me now but he is still mouthy. He reaches out of his stall at night and picks the halters off the wall and drops them, grabs the cross ties, etc. I had to put him in the stall with the stall guard for that reason.

Comment

Both my geldings were mouthy when they were younger. The younger of the two (rising 6 year old) has improved a lot this year and now just tastes things momentarily rather than devouring them and spitting out the remains. I still only get a few months out of lead ropes, but seeing as this horse would chew through one in 15 minutes, this is an improvement! He was gelded a little late-- he came off the track at 3 and was gelded then, which might have something to do with it. He does get corrected, especially when he tries to taste people but he are getting better. I now get stink eye when I tighten the girth rather than an actual bite attempt.

Comment

Working...
                            X