• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

am I doing the right thing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• am I doing the right thing?

I've got a bit of a story so kudos to those who read. Before i say anything, please know that I am not seeking sympathy or anything, just a logical opinion.

Half my life, for the last 7 years, I've worked as a stable hand to be able to pay for both my horse and lessons. I've worked at various barns and last year I started working at a VERY fancy, internationally competing H/J barn that I LOVE. I started out mucking stalls 2x a week in exchange for lessons which was all good and dandy. As of late, I started community college classes AND bought my self a new horse which changed my schedule so I could not longer work those days to work off my lessons. I was super super bummed about no lessons because i'd come miles from where I was. Couple weeks later my trainers offer me a grooming job that has pretty flexible hours in exchange for lessons. This made me exstatic. I started working for them 3 weeks ago and it's been CRAZY. For one thing, they want me to work 3hr days 3-5 days a week (and I'm already working at another barn too!) or they want me to work REALLY long days twice a week. I'm still on Christmas break but college starts up again next week. To me it seems insane to work 5 days a week for 1 lesson a week. I feel bad cuz they really need me and because I asked for the job and I got what i wanted. And, I feel ungrateful for quitting but they seem to be asking too much.

On top of all of that, if I work any extra hours, they can't afward to pay me cash, it has to be lessons. But their lesson horses are used so much that they can only fit me in once a week and not twice. I'm not asking for suggestions, I'm just asking if you would quit as well?

Basically you are giving them your labor for free. Stop doing it. I am not a fan of "work for lessons" situations. It is never an equal proposition. The barn gets free labor and the worker gets, essentially, nothing. The trainer is either "too busy" to teach the promised lesson, or the school horses "are being used by PAYING students."

If you're working at a barn, you should be paid in dollars per hour, not in "lessons" which, as you've found out, don't happen. Cut your losses and quit, or tell them that you're changing the rules and will only work for cash. It sounds like you're really being taken advantage of.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

Yup. No brainer. I'd quit like...yesterday. And tell them you want your prior work salary in cash, thank you very much.

Comment

I would figure what the lessons cost then divide the number of hours, put it into money terms.

Example, I have a student that works two hours for me and then rides for an hour in a group lesson. That comes out to $10 an hour. That is above average pay for a fifteen yearl old young man in my area so he is good and i am good as he is very reliable.

I could not pay him that rate for what he does but in trade it is fine and he is happy as his family can not pay for lessons.

After you figure it that way see if it is worth it. Also remember and this is the teacher/mama coming out in me, your real job is college. The horses will still be there after you finish and with a degree you will be much more able to afford them.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! The pay is $10 an hour so 6 hours or one lesson. But like I said, even if I work 9-12 hours a week (as I've been doing) they can't fit me in for another lesson and won't pay me. They suggest to me to 'haul in' which I could but not every week. My mom is too busy to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by gallopinggal View Post
            On top of all of that, if I work any extra hours, they can't afward to pay me cash, it has to be lessons. But their lesson horses are used so much that they can only fit me in once a week and not twice.
            You are getting hosed. If I were you I would give my two week notice on the next available working day.

Comment

I'm not quite sure I understand what is going on. Why not take lessons on your new horse if school horses aren't available? Is that a possibility or are you keeping your horse at a different barn? Who said that the International "A" barn couldn't afford to pay you in cash? Did they tell you that specifically? Or was that your interpretation of something else they said? I imagine barns of that caliber could certainly afford to pay someone even minimum wage for basic jobs. However, they may prefer to pay in lessons instead for various reasons. Some of this stuff doesn't make complete sense, so I think some parts of the story are missing.

you have to look at your priorities both in terms of finances and riding. What is your budget? How much money are you trying to save by taking on multiple jobs? If this situation didn't work out would you have acceptable alternatives?

If I were in your situation I would find out what the going rate is in your area for barn help of the kind you are providing. Then figure out what you would normally be earning on a weekly basis. Compare that to the cost of lessons. After running the numbers determine if it is a fair trade or not. If the cost matches within 5-10% or so, then maybe it's worth it to continue. On the other hand, if are building up more lesson credits than you are actually receiving, then you are being overworked. This sort of thing is always a risk when bartering.

Comment

I feel bad cuz they really need me and because I asked for the job and I got what i wanted. And, I feel ungrateful for quitting but they seem to be asking too much.
                If I understand your situation correctly, it seems like you are putting in more then you are getting back.

Note that in my experience I have heard many stories from others about barn owners who use guilt (knowingly or unknowingly) to keep good kind hearted people locked into providing what essentially amounts to free labor. This may or may not be the case in your situation.

When I was a working student many years ago I experienced a similar situation to yours, and I did quit because I realized it would have gone on indefinitely if I had stayed.

Burning out from overwork is no fun!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
                  I'm not quite sure I understand what is going on. Why not take lessons on your new horse if school horses aren't available? Is that a possibility or are you keeping your horse at a different barn? Who said that the International "A" barn couldn't afford to pay you in cash? Did they tell you that specifically? Or was that your interpretation of something else they said? I imagine barns of that caliber could certainly afford to pay someone even minimum wage for basic jobs. However, they may prefer to pay in lessons instead for various reasons. Some of this stuff doesn't make complete sense, so I think some parts of the story are missing.

They told me specifcally they could not pay me cash. I keep my horse at home and would have to haul in which is possible from time to time but not every week. $10 a hour is the going rate for barn work around here which they are paying me.

Comment

They told me specifcally they could not pay me cash.
                    I'd be gone.

Comment

Luseride, that's a good formula, but her point is that they are refusing to give her lessons at all. So however much the lessons are "worth," she's not receiving them nor is she being paid for her work.

They are getting several hours of hard labor out of her for no cost to them. She should either get paid in cash, or tell them hasta la vista.
                      I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Guin View Post
                        Luseride, that's a good formula, but her point is that they are refusing to give her lessons at all. So however much the lessons are "worth," she's not receiving them nor is she being paid for her work.

They are getting several hours of hard labor out of her for no cost to them. She should either get paid in cash, or tell them hasta la vista.
                        Which I believe is but i"m going to do! I'm only getting paid for about 1/2 what I'm working.

Comment

If the going rate is $10/hour and you are working up to 12 hours, it's crazy then that they won't fit you in. This definitely sounds like they are taking advantage of you. HOWEVER, I would not advise you to quit abruptly. Even if you are being taken advantage of, I would still have a professional conversation with them before leaving. Consider saying something like this: "I have really enjoyed the lessons with Trainer X and feel that I've made tremendous progress with him/her over the last Y months. I would love to continue in the flexible grooming job to help pay for lessons. However, I wouldn't be able to continue unless I was able to receive 2 lessons per week in exchange for 9-12 hours of work. Again, I would love to continue, but if this arrangement is possible, I will need to give my two weeks notice".

Comment

I would quit.
                            You are being taken for a ride. Sorry for the pun but that is the plain truth.
                            I was a "Working Student " whe I was young.
                            Seemed like all I did was work. The learning came on the end of a shovel. I learned quickly I was being taken.
                            Oh on paper it made perfect cents to the person I was woking for.
                            There are better ways to make money. Go to school and get an education so you can get a Paying job. Then you can get real lessons from a reputable teacher.
                            Most of the "working students" I have known were used and short changed.
                            You are being taken advantage of.
                            JMHO
                            sadlmakr

Comment

Either quit or talk to them about accruing the $$ owed over time, maybe at some point you could haul your horse in for a week and do a bunch of lessons, or they would coach you at away shows using the "bank" you have earned. If they are unwilling to do this, let them find another sucker. You could get a job waiting tables, make much more $$ per hour, and afford lessons with whoever you like.

Comment

My 2cents - this.............

Originally posted by Guin View Post

The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                                H. Cate

Comment

I too think you are getting a raw deal. I was never a working student but I was a groom for my old trainer. I worked 2 six hour days tacking, untacking, bathing, and lunging in exchange for a lesson each a week for me and dd on our own horses. I also got to ride her school master and some of the other horses and dd got to ride quite a lot of the horses that were young and not up for sale yet. It was hard work but I feel the trade off was wonderful for both me and dd. It would be better for you to move on unless they are going to step up and make your lessons more of a priority.

Comment

This happened to me and I sat there and took it for 2 years before I finally decided I had had enough. In the end when I worked out how many hours I was working in exchange for my board and lessons (that I never got. I rode *maybe* 10 times in the 2 years I was there), it worked out to be about $1.25/hr.

If you aren't happy with how the hours for lessons thing is working, I see two options:
                                    1) Get out now and find somewhere else who is willing to pay you monetarily
                                    or
                                    2) Tell them you will only work the 6 hours a week that is required to pay off the lesson, and anything over that needs to be paid in cash. If they again tell you that they can't pay you in cash, then restate that you will then only work 6 hours or they can find someone else to rip off.
                                    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Comment

No matter how much you may love the job, you should not continue unless you are properly compensated. You're being used.

I was in the same sort of boat last year. I was putting in a lot of hours cleaning stalls, clipping, etc in exchange for lessons, but ultimately I only got 1 lesson due to scheduling conflicts and the fact that the barn really didn't have any horses I wanted to ride. One was a dirty bucker and the others were old schoolies that could not match my abilities. Ultimately I had to give it up, no matter how much I loved it, because my time and gas was worth more to me than what I was getting out of the "job".
                                      "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Only in the horse world will someone try and convince they are doing you a favor while expecting you to work for nothing. And they will be demanding on top of that. And in my experience (when I was younger and willing to do nearly anything) they will keep increasing their expectations.

It sounds like they got you in a position where you felt like they were accommodating you and in return they are extracting more that the accommodation is worth on the hopes you will continue be grateful for the opportunity.

Be courteous as you tell them that this isn't working out for you but definitely make a change to this arrangement as you are definitely getting the short end of this stick.

Comment

Working...
                                        X