• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

It's Time for: The Best of COTH 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Time for: The Best of COTH 2011

As we've done each December, let's sum up and enjoy the memories, especially the funny ones:

1. Your Favorite Thread of the Year.

2. Thread that has impacted you the most.

3. Thread that just would NOT die but you really wished it would!

4. Thread that you wish had never died.

5. Most Eye-Catching thread title.

6. Topic that has given you recurring nightmares.

7. Person who posts for no reason but to see their name in lights.

8. Best username.

9. Most annoying username.

10. Most inspirational poster

11. Poster in most need of visiting a sanitarium.

12. Poster whose threads you look most forward to reading.

13. Poster who you want to come back as in your next life.

14. Poster who you most want to meet in person but haven't yet.

15. Poster whose horse you would jump in front of a train for.

16. Poster that always puts you in a good mood.

17. Most Valuable Friend(s) that you have gained as a result of this BB.

18. Most memorable event from the BB this year.

19. Poster who you want to "vote off the island."

20. Thing(s) you would change most about the BB.

21. What you like best about the BB?

22. Has anyone/thing/topic changed the way you live?

23. In general - how was 2011 for you?

<>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Oh geez, that's a long list! Favorite thread was probably the one on the eventing board about the horse statue at Rebecca Farms... That was a good one. I can think of a few posters I'd vote off the island and into a sanitarium, but good grace doesn't permit me to say, lol.

At the time, I really wished the skittlespony/PE1 saga would die. That got old after a while. As far as inspirational things go, the "update on me" thread that's been going for a while on the equestrians with disabilities board has been hugely inspirational to me.
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Comment

HA! You got voted off the island when I got my hay net. The "ladies" are not happy at all (especially the fat palomino) and she wants your address!

ETA: "I" love the net!
      Last edited by Shine; Dec. 16, 2011, 11:41 AM.

Comment

What I like best about COTH.

I have made many good, kind, helpful friends. Some I have not met-yet-, others, I have met, such as you, Watery Glen.

LOL when I traveld to WG's place to rub shoulders with those at the HP weekend, I was asked on more than one occasion: You are going up to...stay with someone...you met online...: Is that...a good...idea...?????
        Sounds quite sinister, doesn't it? Also met JSwan, Hinderella, Whicker, and many more-I am sorry I can't remember your COTH names.

However, WG had plenty of coffee and I got to meet Calais. Coffee, food-lots o' food, hounds, crazy horse people-thank you for corrupting little old me.
        I AM planning to do a HP weekend-as in hunting, in March.

Hunting and basseting. Is there anything else in the world?

Comment

I don't think I can answer all of them, but as for #17, I met Lucassb through this board and she's a very close friend now. Love when that happens
          http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
          Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

Some of those questions better be left unanswered.
            We debate, so I am sure there are those that would want to put those they debate on a raft and push them off the island.
            Then there are a few that seem to just troll for kicks, seem to be annoying on purpose, no matter what they say.

I will answer this one:

When I see some names I want to go see what they are saying, even in threads I didn't previously took the time to read.
            Those include:
            JSwan, always interesting to hear what she has to say and how she puts it.
            Misty Blue (I think that is the name) is on the dot and very funny.
            Deltawave, always instructional.
            Zu-Zu, AO, always optimistic, she makes everyone's day better.

I opened this thread because it was posted by Chocomare, one of the interesting posters.

Too bad I forget names of good posters when I try to give due, as here.

Comment

The best threads were the TBs in dressage threads. I have one of those so they were special.

The most interesting thing to me was that through my growing irritation with one poster, and her comparison by others with a banned poster who is a personal friend of mine, I learned the depths of the meanness of some people on COTH, and learned to check my own snark. Most of the time. And made friends with the OP.

But what impresses me most is the great generosity of COTHers, who give so freely of their time and experience. I learn something on here every day.
              2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Comment

I am too new here to really be able to answer most of the questions but I too opened this thread because it was posted by Chocomare!

SO much good advice here and some really nice, caring people, for the most part. And funny, funny stuff.
                What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                  I will answer this one:

When I see some names I want to go see what they are saying, even in threads I didn't previously took the time to read.
                  Those include:
                  JSwan, always interesting to hear what she has to say and how she puts it.
                  Misty Blue (I think that is the name) is on the dot and very funny.
                  Deltawave, always instructional.
                  Zu-Zu, AO, always optimistic, she makes everyone's day better.

I opened this thread because it was posted by Chocomare, one of the interesting posters.

Too bad I forget names of good posters when I try to give due, as here.
                  I concur, and add Chocomare, Bluey, CowgirlJenn, Munchkins Mom, LoriO, Hundred Acres, Aventura Two (always interesting), Ghazzu, Grateaan, DressageGeek, CloudyandCallie, Mike Matson, Medical Mike, Frank, His Greyness, and the wonderful folks who have shared their Christmas videos to the list!

As for CotH generosity, I have an incident of my own to share. Several years ago we ran into a rough stretch with our horses. The old mare had to be put down in 2002; after a battle with colic surgery and lameness, my horse died suddenly from something else in 2004; fourteen months later, MrChief2's horse died of colic surgery complications and we were then out of horses. After reading of our woes Chocomare offered to send me her beloved mare Tankie, all the way from home to Connecticut. I could never have accepted such a nice gift as Tankie, but that gesture alone went a long way towards healing my heart! Thank you, Chocomare! Please give Tankie a kiss from me.
                  Last edited by Chief2; Dec. 17, 2011, 07:16 PM. Reason: Name correction
                  "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

Originally posted by Chief2 View Post
                    I concur, and add Chocomare, Bluey, CowboyJenn, Munchkins Mom, LoriO, Hundred Acres, Aventura Two (always interesting), Ghazzu, Grateaan, DressageGeek, CloudyandCallie, Mike Matson, Medical Mike, Frank, His Greyness, and the wonderful folks who have shared their Christmas videos to the list!

As for CotH generosity, I have an incident of my own to share. Several years ago we ran into a rough stretch with our horses. The old mare had to be put down in 2002; after a battle with colic surgery and lameness, my horse died suddenly from something else in 2004; fourteen months later, MrChief2's horse died of colic surgery complications and we were then out of horses. After reading of our woes Chocomare offered to send me her beloved mare Tankie, all the way from home to Connecticut. I could never have accepted such a nice gift as Tankie, but that gesture alone went a long way towards healing my heart! Thank you, Chocomare! Please give Tankie a kiss from me.
                    Oh, yes, those and many others, I was/am having a senior moment on names.
                    Really, too many to name. Thank you for adding those.

That was a neat story, just what this thread is about, I think.

Comment

• Original Poster

(now all verklempt. sniff sniff )

Consider kisses given. Tank loffs kisses.
                      <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

I cannot answer all of the catagories but I do think of all the great people who have donated their help and items to others. To name a few:
                        Zakkandtoto who gave her horse's expensive soft rides to appychik. Oops that may have been last Fall, but she deserves credit anyway.
                        Whoever gave the blanket to shiloh this week for her horse's girlfriend who was abandonned at her barn.
                        There are so many people who have stepped up and helped others with blankets and advice.

And a special thanks and award to wanderluster and lauraky. They are on my favorite thread. I am forever in your debt.

I would vote Thomson off the island. He counts, since he came onto one thread as a cother to complain about the people he.......well never mind.

And Leena gets the courage award. She has all taught us to live in the moment and cherish life with our horses.

As for my year, pretty good. Cloudy got lavaliered and then married to a nice little domestic ATA. Everyone stayed pretty healthy altho I lost my old 15 yoa rescued dog, and an almost to 19 yoa rescued kitty. But they lived long lives so I cannot complain.
                        Lots of my friends have had big financial problems, so I'm hoping that they will be able to hang in there and keep their homes next year.

Comment

Folks are already doing a good job of it, but let's avoid specifically nailing anyone to the wall on the less complimentary categories...

Thanks!
                          Mod 1

Comment

I have a cool COTH story too, now that I think about it. A few years ago, my mare had colic surgery and I posted here at about 11:30 p.m. (eastern). I ended up with more than 300 heartfelt messages and good wishes for her, tons of sympathy, and a lot of congratulations when she came back from it better than ever. I wrote about the support from COTH in my college apps and scholarship application essays and received a lot of positive feedback.

COTHers helped me put together my resume, which has gotten some amazing compliments from people in high places.

I could go on and on - COTH is the best.
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
                            Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

One of my all time favorite threads was the "Greasy Balls" from Around the Farm. Hilarious Can't remember if that was this year tho.

There are alot of people here that I enjoy "debating" with.

I think the one person that stands out to me for her knowledge is VineyRidge. Her knowledge of pedigrees is astounding.
                              I would love to pick her brain.
                              The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                              H. Cate

Comment

Originally posted by supershorty628 View Post
                                I have a cool COTH story too, now that I think about it. A few years ago, my mare had colic surgery and I posted here at about 11:30 p.m. (eastern). I ended up with more than 300 heartfelt messages and good wishes for her, tons of sympathy, and a lot of congratulations when she came back from it better than ever. I wrote about the support from COTH in my college apps and scholarship application essays and received a lot of positive feedback.

COTHers helped me put together my resume, which has gotten some amazing compliments from people in high places.

I could go on and on - COTH is the best.

Originally, I tried to answer the whole thing, then deleted it because I didn't want to name names. But Supershorty, you were my answer to #16.
                                2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Comment

My favorite CoTH thread was hearing about how we contributed to FlashGordon becoming a horse owner again. She has been so kind and supportive to me and many other folks, it only seems right that she has a new pony of her own to have fun with. :-)
                                  I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
                                  I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

#20 NEED LIKE BUTTON

The end I haven't really been active enough long enough to answer the rest Except

#11: probably myself
                                    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
                                    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
                                    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
                                    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Comment

1. Your Favorite Thread of the Year.
                                      Oh, good grief - Chronicle Forums was certainly one of the highlights.
                                      Why is the horse world so filled with flaming nut balls? - Chronicle Forums
                                      was pretty good as well.
                                      2. Thread that has impacted you the most.
                                      There is always something that hits close to home. Nothing specific, but it's good to see now and then that decency and kindness still exists. And we generally have a great bunch around here.

On a sad note, the stories from drought stricken areas hurt, or from the aftermath of natural disasters. Sadly we have had plenty of both this year.

3. Thread that just would NOT die but you really wished it would!
                                      Slaughter threads
                                      4. Thread that you wish had never died.
                                      Every good things has to come to an end some time.

5. Most Eye-Catching thread title.
                                      Greasy balls and TITS, of course.

6. Topic that has given you recurring nightmares.

7. Person who posts for no reason but to see their name in lights.

I wonder who this Alagirl person is. I bet you a dollar she has no life!

8. Best username.

9. Most annoying username.

10. Most inspirational poster

11. Poster in most need of visiting a sanitarium.
                                      Visiting or being admitted to one?

Misty Blue, JSwan, Cowgirljen, Dressage Geek, Whoofandwhinnie made the list this year, but I am a sucker for spots!

13. Poster who you want to come back as in your next life.
                                      See above

14. Poster who you most want to meet in person but haven't yet.
                                      See above, Add Chocomare...

15. Poster whose horse you would jump in front of a train for.
                                      I only jump behind trains, sorry.
                                      16. Poster that always puts you in a good mood.
                                      Misty Blue and JSwan.
                                      17. Most Valuable Friend(s) that you have gained as a result of this BB.

18. Most memorable event from the BB this year.

19. Poster who you want to "vote off the island."

This Alagirl person...she is nuts I tell ya.

20. Thing(s) you would change most about the BB.
                                      I think a 'like', 'give thanks' feature would streamline some threads and cut down on the '^^THIS' posts
                                      21. What you like best about the BB?

A wealth of knowledge and the majority of people are sane.

22. Has anyone/thing/topic changed the way you live?

23. In general - how was 2011 for you?

Don't ask/don't tell!
                                      2012 can only get better.
                                      Originally posted by BigMama1
                                      Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                                      GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Great thread!

Is there a category for 'Love It All, But Don't Have Time For All Of It.'

That would be a category for me! I've learned a lot and hope to have given a few but in the end we are one global nation/ world equine. Happy Holidays and keep up the good work.

Comment

Working...
                                        X