• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Warm, REALLY WARM, riding clothes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warm, REALLY WARM, riding clothes

Help, I guess I am a hothouse flower. I have never been very tolerant of the cold, but it seems to be much worse this year. And mind you, cold is 40 degrees here in NOrCal. When I walk out of the office and turn into an icicle before I get to my car, I jsut dread having to go to the barn to do anything, much less actually get on my horse.

For all of you who live in truly cold climates, what do you wear to the barn, how do you keep from turning into an icicle? And, how do you do it without looking like the Michelin man? Tonight I could barely bend down to wrap my horses leg, I had so many layers on (and it wasn't even down to 40).

There was a thread on goosedown horseblankets and someone on there mentioned some new technology that is some metallic liner instead of down or fiberfill. I've never heard of such a thing, has anyone else here?

TIA - I really do want to work my boy this winter and not just pet him on the nose and run home to a heated blanket.

Your post made me laugh because I too live in Norcal and think anything below 50 degrees is cold!

What works for me is to first put on a base layer, which is always thin, therefore non restricting. I buy both tops and bottoms. Additionally, I change at work, so that I'm prepared for the barn before I get there. I have learned I keep the most warm when I where a couple of thin layers, a scarf and most importantly, something that covers my head and ears.

Tonight, I rode in a thin base layer, with a Horseware fleece top over it. As soon as I finished, I put a knit hat over my damp hair, then put on a thin coat with a hood, and put on knit gloves. I then let my horse out to graze for two hours in an open field. Yes, her "horse time" is way more important than my comfort, but I was warm enough to tolerate it for a good amount of time.

Anyway, being warm yet not restricted, can be done, you just need to experiment a bit. REI is a good friend...
    Last edited by jenm; Dec. 7, 2011, 02:25 AM. Reason: added a sentence
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

Buy very high quality long johns -- silk or one of the really, really good technical fabrics. They will be super warm but very lightweight, so you can wear them under your regular pants/breeches without affecting fit.

Keep your head, hands, and feet warm. You'll be surprised at what a difference that makes.

Then stores that cater to skiers/snowboarders/hikers are your friend. They'll have lots of options for shirts/vests/jackets that are lightweight and warm. You'll have to figure out what combination works for you, but something like good long johns, a thin wool-blend turtleneck, a fleece vest, and a windbreaker would probably keep you plenty toasty, and you could always lose the vest or windbreaker if it turned out to be too much.
      Halt Near X | Horse Bloggers - Blog Directory

Comment

I wear normal breeches, with a wind break layer over top if it's truly cold and windy out (-20C/-4F).

Otherwise, I wear a long sleeve top, a sweatshirt, and a jacket on top of that. I remove the jacket to ride.

Add winter riding boots, and you have my winter outfit!

Comment

IME working outdoors for 16 years, 9 hours at a clip in all kinds of cold and precip, there is little on the planet that will give you the ultimate under-layer of warmth like one of these....

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/woo...processed=true

.... worn UNDER one of these....

http://www.aransweatermarket.com/clan-aran-sweaters

I guarantee you that you will. not. get. cold.
          (Of course, hands, head, and feet are the most important, but body-wise, this will have you covered.)
          VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

Lately, I've been hoarding Smartwool socks. I can keep wearing regular paddock boots well into the 40s, and still have feeling in my toes when I'm done for the day. Love them!

Put something on your head, it's where you loose most of your heat; I tend to just put my helmet on when I get to the barn and leave it on until I'm ready to leave, because it's easier that way

I find layers are very helpful, because they trap warmth. Into the 40s, I'm good without a full coat, I tend to do a turtleneck (sometimes UnderArmour type, sometimes just regular cotton), (wool) sweater or (good, technical, insulating) fleece, and a down vest on top. Nothing, IME, is warmer than down. Lately I've been coveting one of the down "sweaters" that Patagonia carries, but I can't quite justify the price of that versus the regular down coats from LLBean.

Granted, I live in Virginia, and ride in Maryland, where the worst we generally get is a few days down in the 20s in the deep of winter. I know there are folks on here who deal with much worse cold, and I leave them to it!

ETA: Oh, michaeleenflynn, you shouldn't have linked to those gorgeous sweaters! I am drooling over them!
            A Year In the Saddle

Comment

One tip for a day you're having trouble facing in the cold department: pre-warmed clothes. Toss everything in the dryer while you take a warm shower, preferably after a brief workout to get the blood really moving. Dressing warm and clean in those dryer-heated fleeces and wool= ooh la la.

I rode in AK for 20 years and am still in the Pac NW, so we've verr diff temp tolerances (I'll be in shorts and a sports bra at 50 degrees, catching rays) but it still translates. A bit of Michelin man factor may have to come into play though...
              www.lisapreston.com

Comment

BAH! Anything over 40 is T-shirt weather!
                2016 RRP Makeover Competitor www.EnviousBid.com

Comment

Well, it was 14 when I went out to turn in, so I was utilizing the ideas above i.e. layers, long underwear....here's a few other tips: I put my hair in a ponytail "hunter princess" style. The hair over my ears added additional warmth under the hat. You stay warmer if you keep moving, but when you need more warmth, grab a barn cat, sit down, and let that critter warm up your lap.
                  I'm still trying to decide which is warmer - lined winter breeches or regular breeches with a layer underneath. I'm sure at some point winter breeches plus an under layer will be necessary.
                  Any time someone talks about their horse in a bar, there's love in the room.

Comment

Good thermal underwear makes the difference. And always wear a hat.

Also, once you get moving around in the winter, it isn't all that cold.
                    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
                    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

Take a look at Boinks (make sure you put in www.boinkcatalog.com)

http://www.boinkcatalog.com/index.cf...&Product_ID=54

These are a heavy cotton blend exterior to shed wind and polar fleece lining
                      Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
                      Alfred A. Montapert

Comment

The Body Sock

This is probably too warm for you in CA but in NJ and when the temps drop, out comes the ‘Body Sock’. Many years ago, a trainer/friend gave me a Body Sock and it is beyond amazing warmth. No one can understand why I don’t need a jacket when the temps are extremely cold!

It isn’t cheap but it is well worth the $$ - check it out!

http://www.davissportswear.com/sunsh...uct_detail&p=1

Comment

I live in NW Pennsylvania in the snow corridor. Lots of wind and last year at this time we had over 5 feet of snow. Cold. Very cold.

My first layer is Cuddle Duds, with cotton mid calf socks, that is usually followed by another pair of smart wool socks and sweat pants, then on top a turtleneck, covered by a tight t-shirt or other thin but body fitting top, and over that either a big loose hoodie or a big loose sweat shirt and if necessary a coat over top. I often wear a hat or head band as well. I've found insulated barn boots with the two layers of socks to be far better than most winter boots.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy100 View Post
                            This is probably too warm for you in CA but in NJ and when the temps drop, out comes the ‘Body Sock’. Many years ago, a trainer/friend gave me a Body Sock and it is beyond amazing warmth. No one can understand why I don’t need a jacket when the temps are extremely cold!

It isn’t cheap but it is well worth the $$ - check it out!

http://www.davissportswear.com/sunsh...uct_detail&p=1
                            WHOA - The Body Sock looks AMAZING!!!!
                            J
                            ‎"Luck favors the prepared, darling." ~~ Edna Mode

Comment

Well, I live where it is truly cold. We can have weeks at a time where it doesn't get above 0. Wind chills can be -40 below. I actually rarely seem to get cold, but then I love the cold and snow. I wear several thin layers - the Cuddle Duds are awesome. I wear those too. I have vests made of fake down and they are very warm. Fleece lined Carharts over top of Cuddle Duds will keep me warm for hours even when it's -15 below zero. Keep your head warm with thick fluffy hats - not thin cutesy fashion stocking hats. I usually buy the Carhart brand because they are very thick and have a lot of extra material so you can fold the hat up over your ears for a 2nd layer.

This morning it was 18 degrees with a stiff 20 mph wind and I did chores in a pair of fleece pants, a cotton t-shirt with a zip-up fleece over it, a hat and microfiber gloves. I was warm but then I think I'm fairly immune to the cold.

Comment

It's in the mid to high 30s here right now and this is what I wore to the barn yesterday from top to bottom:

No hat
                                Cotton waffle long sleeve thermal tee shirt
                                Polartec 300 jacket
                                Uninsulated deerskin gloves
                                Jockeys
                                Tuffrider Patrol breeches
                                Mid weight wool socks
                                Uninsulated field boots

For riding in the indoor (unheated) arena I took off the fleece jacket and rode in just the long sleeve t shirt. Riding itself plus a helmet on the head keep me plenty warm.

Today I'll be wearing much the same except I packed a lightweight polypro LS undershirt and a short sleeve polyester golf polo and cotton athletic socks instead of wool.

I don't consider 40s to be cold at all.

Comment

Originally posted by mildot View Post
                                  I don't consider 40s to be cold at all.
                                  Nope. 40s is nice spring weather to me. But to be fair, anything above 60 to 70 I consider to be vile and miserable. Above 80 I am basically useless and debilitated. I hate the heat and sun and want to hibernate from June through August. If it's going to be 85 I put the horses in stalls for the day with fans running so I don't have to think of them standing out in the baking hot sun. And people in California would think that was insane. LOL

Comment

WIMP!

it gets SO cold here, the liquid in your eyes can freeze over if you dont blink enough.. LOL.... try like -20 (with windchill) icicles hanging off your horse's nose and eyelashes

(why do I live in Michigan again???)

LOL - anyway, definitely layer, long johns and snow pants or winter riding pants, and I like my carhart coat over that. definitely a HAT is very important, you can double up on hats. your body loses heat through your head, hands and feet.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=828156278

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=828156278

winter riding boots

http://equestrian.doversaddlery.com/...ing+boots&idc=[[SLI_IDC]]&ids=828156278

also, one thing to keep in mind.... if you dress up TOO warm, you will sweat in your clothes. this is the biggest problem because when you and your clothes get wet (even a little damp) you get compromised no matter WHAT you are wearing. so, dont over do it too much

Comment

Oh yes Jumpin - good point about the liquid in your eyes freezing! There are days I go out and the horses' eyelashes are big heavy frosted icecicles. I have had my bare hands freeze to the stall gate latches. Once you lose a little skin here and there you learn that lesson pretty quick. And there are those days that it's so cold that even with a heater in the water tank, there is still a ring of ice around the top because the heater can't keep up. There are days so cold that the horses actually say - yeah screw you. I am not going outside today. None of them will leave the barn! So days like that you just put them back in the stalls and not fight about it.

Comment

So, forget the people who can wear t-shirts at 40. I do the following

bottoms:
                                        somewhat cold: french terry equissentials
                                        PD Cold - boink fleece breeches
                                        FMAOC - Irideon http://www.tackroominc.com/irideon-p...ib-p-4383.html (they do also come in full seats)

Feet:
                                        smart wool or acorn fleece socks, Ariat brossard winter boots (I have the tall ones, but paddocks also warm), plus toe warmers if below 30 - http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...LAID=405812950

Always a helmet and I find that I don't need more on my head

Top:
                                        wicking material sports bra
                                        fleece cami
                                        underarmour or patagonia type long sleeve layer
                                        heavier fleece quarter zip that is sleek in cut http://www.championusa.com/workout-c...omens-pullover
                                        Thermatex vest
                                        thinsulate vest http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/69938...e-fitness-vest
                                        Windproof slightly warm jacket: http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/w...7725-C78372-L2

Hand: ariat insulted tek grip gloves with hand warmers

I almost never need to wear the outermost jacket once actually riding and this get up holds me down to 10-15 degrees (below which I abandon the exercise)
                                        OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

Working...
                                        X