• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Managing Horses who have to be alone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managing Horses who have to be alone?

Not all the time, but for a good part of their day?

I know it is natural for horses to be with others and it's unnatural and so very hard for them to be by themselves. Where I am now, there are only two horses, and so they must be regularly split up otherwise no one will ever get any riding done! Of course the ideal would be if there were another horse as company, but there isn't and there isn't lots of room, so we hope to see how well we can manage the situation.

There are other animals all over the place but nothing particularly large- there are geese chickens and dogs about all the time so there is activity and living things around to observe.

Separating the pair has been hard tricky but far from impossible. We have been trying keeping them out of sight of each other in paddocks but within earshot. They call and pace a bit for a few minutes every so often, with the odd run along the fence thrown in, but do settle and drink, graze and roll etc. as well.

I don't know what is reasonable to expect of them- can they adjust to this situation or will it be a real problem for good? One horse is very new to her surroundings so her anxiety is probably being heightened by that, but at home she hacked out alone very comfortably so I didn't have her pegged as a particularly insecure mare.

Thoughts welcome!
    Horse Selling Hell
    My Writing
    People who think they know everything about horses know nothing

Originally posted by Cancara View Post
    Not all the time, but for a good part of their day?

I know it is natural for horses to be with others and it's unnatural and so very hard for them to be by themselves. Where I am now, there are only two horses, and so they must be regularly split up otherwise no one will ever get any riding done! Of course the ideal would be if there were another horse as company, but there isn't and there isn't lots of room, so we hope to see how well we can manage the situation.

There are other animals all over the place but nothing particularly large- there are geese chickens and dogs about all the time so there is activity and living things around to observe.

Separating the pair has been hard tricky but far from impossible. We have been trying keeping them out of sight of each other in paddocks but within earshot. They call and pace a bit for a few minutes every so often, with the odd run along the fence thrown in, but do settle and drink, graze and roll etc. as well.

I don't know what is reasonable to expect of them- can they adjust to this situation or will it be a real problem for good? One horse is very new to her surroundings so her anxiety is probably being heightened by that, but at home she hacked out alone very comfortably so I didn't have her pegged as a particularly insecure mare.

Thoughts welcome!
    Actually, the ideal is not a third horse. The ideal is that the horses are capable of being worked independently.

You say that they settle down when they are separated in turn out. What happens when you try to ride them separately?

Comment

My gelding is kept alone, all the time. He's the only horse on several acres of pasture. Do I worry about his happiness? Yes. A couple years ago I had the bright idea of getting another horse, and it ended badly. Lost a friendship over it, had to move them back to said pasture, and I couldn't work my horse without him freaking out because his friend wasn't by his side. And I agree, they should ALWAYS be able to work independently; however I was not able to work them enough or separate them to achieve this.

Sold second horse, my horse buddies up with the cows. Still would throw a minor tantrum on being led away from the, but would work fine. Cows leave, horse calls and calls, but finally settles down.

In my situation I prefer him to be by himself. He gets visited several times a day by people, and I've caught him hanging out with deer. He doesn't stress and is rather happy.

You say the mare hacked out alone fine at home; was she the only horse there? It is reasonable to expect them to be a bit anxious, but it is also reasonable to expect them to settle down and focus on their jobs.
      runnjump86 Instagram

Horse Junkies United guest blogger

Comment

I had two at my farm over the summer (they are boarded now what with the snow and all....) so when I wanted to ride, it always left one at home alone. I don't know if it helped or hindered that I rode where the horse at home couldn't see us... Either way, neither my my guys cared when their 'buddy' left.

Sure, the first day my young mare paced and hollered for a minute but I threw her some hay to keep her busy until me and my QH were out of sight. In a matter of days, I could take either horse out - leaving the second horse home- with not a peep from either one.

Now I got a third project pony, but I really don't think that it'll make any difference. I think that my young mare even enjoyed the time away from my pushy QH gelding....

I agree that adding a third horse to the pasture is only the excuse we tell others to justify our third horse and that the answer really is that our horses should learn to go out alone occasionally.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies;

ABN- neither has been ridden yet- one is recovering from an injury- but nearly good to go, the other is so new she's not got a saddle yet!

RNJ- our sit is very similar and I was worried I may need to take my mare away as the other horse had been managing alone before. The other day he pulled loose and came charging back to her. Not great for his poor resident owner! The mare was not the only horse at her old place but she was rarely, if ever turned out with others.

Interestingly today two other horses passed her paddock where she is alone. She observed them closely but didn't try to approach the fence and didn't even shout to them. She seems to particularly want to be with horse no 2 at her own stable, a little gelding.

I suspect she is relying on him a lot being new to her surroundings. We have established a routine- she is rugged for turnout then the gelding goes out to his paddock. She is then taken to hers for breakfast. Both shout and trot or canter up and down for a bit, but then settle for the rest of the day. At the moment I am avoiding putting them out closer together, though that will be the long term goal, because I don't want it to be difficult for other owner to take her horse in or out.

Any thoughts? I am very pleased with how they are coping at the moment and hoping they will adjust to their routine, but I still worry about them and us owners!
          Horse Selling Hell
          My Writing
          People who think they know everything about horses know nothing

Comment

Cancara, I have only two at home and the answer is practice, practice, practice! There was a lot of worry and fret when we first moved here ... it was a move several states away from what had been "home" to these two for years, and from me running a boarding barn with many other horses to just my two at a smaller farm, so a big adjustment all 'round and they were overly dependent on each other, presumably because they were the only thing besides me familiar to each other.

They are now fine being worked independently around here; I can even hack one around the neighborhood with no more drama than a few calls from the one left. I periodically stall one and turn the other out, turn them out in separate pastures, etc. All this practice makes them very accepting that sometimes they are together and sometimes not.
            Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
            -Albert Camus

Comment

When my old horse had to be kept alone because the younger horses picked on him I got him some goats, sheep and his very own Great Pyr. It was a very strange looking group but it worked.

He was in his mid 30's
              I wasn't always a Smurf
              Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
              "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
              The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

To me the thing is when it gets to be too routine, then any change to that routine is cause for alarm. Meaning if those two horses do the exact same thing for 30 days then one day you need to take #1 away to the vet/show/lesson/McDonald's Drive Thru for a McFlurry, then all hell breaks loose.

there is a school of thought that says take #1 away just to the point they get agitated and instantly bring #1 back ...rinse and repeat until done. That's a good school....but if they sit idle for 30 days, guess what...you get to start over.

For me, the ideal solution is the addition of a donkey at any point 2 of my three horses may be gone on a trail ride, leaving #3 with a donkey for a companion. Easy peasy.

I love the ideal of any horse can leave the premise and the sole remaining horse will be a good soldier, but that can be difficult to achieve unless you can do so often, routinely, and without idle periods where they all stand around in a daze.

Comment

Originally posted by katarine View Post
                  To me the thing is when it gets to be too routine, then any change to that routine is cause for alarm. Meaning if those two horses do the exact same thing for 30 days then one day you need to take #1 away to the vet/show/lesson/McDonald's Drive Thru for a McFlurry, then all hell breaks loose.

When I moved my gelding out to my boyfriend's farm last autumn, this was a concern - not because he'd be the only one there, but because there would now be three horses on the farm. So, when we go out on a trail ride, one will always be left behind.

We do put the "left behind" horse in his stall with a bunch of hay and water to keep him occupied, rather than leaving him in the pasture. We used to have a companion goat, but he was old and passed away in February.

A few times we tethered the dog in there for added company, but the horse didn't even seem to care that the dog was there and the dog ended up frantic about being left in the barn instead of her usual place outside. Fail.

As it turns out, any anxious hollering and whinnying lasted only about as long as the truck and trailer remained within earshot of the barn. Then the horse in the stall went to eating his hay and seemed quite happy to not be the one having to work that day.
                  Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Comment

Working...
                  X