• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Strange Horse Advice from Total Strangers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a few doozies, but these are my top two:

incident #1: The barn I used to manage had a boarders who were, essentially, horse collectors. They had property, and horses, in IL (my barn), OK, TX, and Mexico. Show-quality Appies, of all things. One of the mares that was in the barn was the past world halter mare. Very sweet, lovely mare. Problem with these boarders, however, is they NEVER showed up, for anything. Board was always paid, feed was always dropped off, but they never, EVER, came out or took an interest in their horses. I hated them with a passion for it. The first pair of mares we had in our care were easy; older broodmares, very sweet, easy keepers, etc. They were content in their stalls, and would get rotated into turnouts routinely. One day, mares are gone. OMG! I find a note in the feed bin (six hours later) "Mares have been sold, will be bringing new ones in three days." Oh, phew. BTW, mares never had names.

Three days later, I come out to feed and find myself face-to-face with the ugliest yearling and two year old I've ever seen. Yearling is fat as a heifer, 2yo skinny as a rail. AWESOME. Both are barely halter broke. The BO wound up ruining the 2yo, so her halter eventually had to stay on 24 hours.

Boarders do same routine; never show. Same feed for these two young horses as older broodmares. Whatever assholes, I'll do my best. Finally get yearling down to a good weight, and put weight on the gangly two year old. Have them both on night turn out (we had to do day/night turnout shifts) because A. They are white, so they would cook in the sun and B. They needed as much time outside as we could allow them; the two year old would stock up severely and be lame for days. I'm sure there were underlying issues, but I was on orders to not put extra care into them.

Owners randomly show up one morning before I was able to bring the fillies in. Owners start FREAKING OUT on me, saying that I haven't been going through enough feed (UM, wtf) and I need to 'fattem' up, and they should NOT be getting ANY turnout because it was dangerous for them to be outside their stalls, unless it was in the indoor arena only. After a very heated discussion with how these fillies looked when we first got them and how bad standing in a stall was for especially the two year old, they got pissed and left. Never saw them again, fillies remained at the barn.

Incident #2: Said barn had some rather...interesting...boarders. BO's daughter was an ex rodeo queen who didn't know her ass from a hole in the ground, and had NO business teaching people to ride, yet got paid $40 an hour to do so. Blew my mind.

I come down to the barn for a night check, and I catch one boarder trying to lunge her horse. Now, this girl was just. not. right. The poor horse was a 4yo, dead-head QH that she was leasing before purchasing from a neighbor. Horse had heart and mind of a saint, thank god. This boarder literally knows diddly squat about horse management, care, feed...anything. Can barely ride, yet BO's daughter thinks she is perfectly capable of everything under the sun. Boarder is in the middle of the arena, getting yanked around by this poor horse, because she is standing, WHIP IN HAND, cracking it constantly at this poor guy. I was so shocked I couldn't move...until I saw the circles the horse had CHURNED into the arena. I go running to the gate and start yelling at her to stop. Baffled, she stops him, and I notice this horse is DRENCHED in sweat and breathing extremely heavy. I did my best to remain calm as I ask her what the hell she was doing to this poor animal. "Well, BO's daughter told me to lunge Rocky before I rode." I grit my teeth, and point to Rocky's heaving flanks, and ask if she thinks that's normal. "Well that's what BO's daughter does whenever she lunges him." I about died. I proceed to explain to her in great detail how to properly lunge a horse, WITHOUT a whip, and also explain to her that if I catch her lunging her horse like that again, I will go to his owner's.

THEN, as I'm counting noses, she brings him into the alley and ties him up. She tracks me down, and proceeds to tell me how "she doesn't want Rocky eating that pig food anymore because it's not good for him." I couldn't help it this time; I whirl around, and ask just what the hell she's talking about. "Well, I was reading online and talking to H*** (another idiot boarder) and she said that when grain has corn and soybeans in it, it's supposed to be fed only to pigs." *facepalm* The feed we were using is created by a very old gentlemen at the local feed store, and it is amazing stuff. Horses love it, it keeps weight on with minimal amounts, even has biotin added to it, etc. Just all-around great feed. I explain to her that the grain we feed is not, in fact, "pig food" and that if she has such a problem with it then she needs to talk to the BO. I also rip off a label of the feed, hand it to her, and tell her to go talk to the guy who makes it and inform him that she thinks it's "pig food".

Ya. Soooo....horses MUST eat lots and lots of grain and never get turned out because it's dangerous.....and horses must be lunged until they can't breathe and not eat "pig food". Great advice.
    runnjump86 Instagram

Horse Junkies United guest blogger

Comment

I was once warming up my young horse for his year end schooling show championships rides and sharing the ring with another rider and her trainer. I was there by myself and just warming my horse up staying out of their way quietly wondering what made them wake up and decide to ride First Level today but minding my business and riding my horse.

Somewhere in the middle of my warm up the trainer started coaching me. Just up and started full out coaching. Keep in mind, I had never met this person or exchanged pleasantries or had ANY sort of contact with them before. I did not respond to this and just quietly kept about my business but that was really amazing. She kept right on going narrating my transitions and the whole bit. If she had said something that sounded like a remotely good idea I would have been happy for the help but as it was I simply politely went about my warm up and said, 'Have a good ride!' when it was time for her student's test.

In the end my horse won all of his classes and was year end champ with one of his rides scoring above 75%. I think he ended up ahead of them by over ten points. Yep, thanks for your help! Couldn't have done it without you!
      The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
      Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
      Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
      The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Originally posted by Bumper View Post
        Spend a summer guiding dudes and you will collect a ton of stories.

Dude: i had a horse, he was 15.6 hands.

My Bozz: a hand is 4 inches, so it would be 15.1, 15.2, 15.3 etc.

Dude: well that depends on if it's long hand or short hand.

*facepalm*
        Sarah can 'em how it's done! http://youtu.be/OBAyrpfe0OM

I do have a few of my own, though not from strangers...

My grandpa once told me he thought I was being ripped off by my farrier for wanting to shoe my horse every 6 weeks, because when he was a boy, he shod his own horse only every 6 months! Yikes!

For a couple years, I rented a farm, but someone else rented the house on the property. She was a very sweet girl, but knew nothing about horses. She came to chat one day (she had been living there for at least 6 months now) and starting quietly, said "Girl, I saw one of those boy horses let down his penis the other day and oh MY GAWD, it looks just like a mans! It's huge! I've never seen anything like that before!" LOL

I used to work with an old redneck who would deal gaited horses. He convinced me to consign a couple of them so I could "put them on those internets." They were underweight and the first thing I did when bringing them to my place was deworm them. A couple weeks later, he gives me a package of tobacco and tells me "that horse is due for some wormin. Just put this tobaccer in her feed and it'll clean her right out." I just said thanks and threw it in the trash when I got home.

Comment

Originally posted by runNjump86 View Post
          I proceed to explain to her in great detail how to properly lunge a horse, WITHOUT a whip, and also explain to her that if I catch her lunging her horse like that again, I will go to his owner's.
          What's wrong with lunging with a whip? Properly done it is very helpful and effective to lunge with a whip and I virtually never lunge without one.

Comment

TOTALLY AGREE with ElisLove.

Sorry "runNjump86", but there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with lunging with a whip if it's used correctly. If you don't have the skill, you shouldn't be bashing those folks who do know how to do it correctly. Since you obviously don't have the skill, I wouldn't be so quick to "go to the owners" with your misinformation about the method outside of informing them that the horse is being lunged too hard.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ElisLove View Post
              What's wrong with lunging with a whip? Properly done it is very helpful and effective to lunge with a whip and I virtually never lunge without one.
              I think the issue wasn't with the fact the girl was using a whip, but the way in which she was using it that was a problem.

Just because it has a "popper" on it doesn't mean it needs to be "popped" every ten seconds.
              Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Comment

My gelding cribs for a few minutes after her eats. It drives my husband NUTS and he was complaining about it one day to our neighbor, who kindly recommended we just hit him in the head with a 2x4.

Comment

My mom and I were trying to load my mare one day. She's not really scared of our trailer, she just has a kind of "I don't feel like it, make me attitude." We know how to deal with it and get her loaded every time. But this one day she took a few extra minutes and someone walked up to us and told us that his uncle or grandpa or something like that told him a trick. Apparently if your horse doesn't want to load immediately you're supposed to take little rocks and chuck them at their back legs. I just thanked him and showed him how nicely she loads WITHOUT having to throw rocks at her.
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
                  The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
                  Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
                  Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Comment

Originally posted by JollyBadger View Post
                    I think the issue wasn't with the fact the girl was using a whip, but the way in which she was using it that was a problem.

Just because it has a "popper" on it doesn't mean it needs to be "popped" every ten seconds.
                    Haha - Unless you're lucky like me. I'm taking care of a horse that's on handwalking/light lunging duty who only gets out of his stall for the time that I'm there. He is the laziest thing on earth and getting him to trot for 5 minutes on the lunge line each way involves lots of popping and me drenched in sweat from chasing him, lol. I wonder if people at the barn think I'm some nutcase horse abuser?

Comment

Originally posted by JollyBadger View Post

Then I am not sure why she didn't show the girl how to PROPERLY lunge WITH a whip since it is a very important piece of equipment for lunging, rather than telling her not to use a whip. Yes using a whip incorrectly in any setting is bad, but then she should be instructed on how to use it properly not just have it 'taken away'.

Comment

Originally posted by khorsem View Post
                        Haha - Unless you're lucky like me. I'm taking care of a horse that's on handwalking/light lunging duty who only gets out of his stall for the time that I'm there. He is the laziest thing on earth and getting him to trot for 5 minutes on the lunge line each way involves lots of popping and me drenched in sweat from chasing him, lol. I wonder if people at the barn think I'm some nutcase horse abuser?
                        Have you tried actually popping him on the butt with the whip. Just like in riding, a horse needs to be trained to respond properly to the cue to go forward. If he ignores it and makes it that much work for you I would change what I was doing to make me more effective and make him listen more. A couple pops in the butt or having the whip brush the back legs may be just enough to tell him 'hey, listen up'.

Comment

Originally posted by JCS View Post
                          My gelding cribs for a few minutes after her eats. It drives my husband NUTS and he was complaining about it one day to our neighbor, who kindly recommended we just hit him in the head with a 2x4.
                          What. The. Fuh...

This thread could be considered the most entertaining thread ever...

But, there are people out there that are naive enough to actually take someones word on bad advice.

I have to laugh though, about people that think they do everything right, and someone that does things different than they do are doing it *wrong* and need to be yelled at...

Sorry for the convoluted sentence. It just galls me though...
                          Originally posted by dizzywriter
                          My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

Comment

Years ago I was working with a greenie who didn't want to cross water on the trail. We were taking out time, and he was getting less and less agitated and clearly almost ready to cross when an older gentleman came behind us on his horse and explained to me that the best way to get a horse over the water was to have someone go behind him and stick a cattle prod up his A$$

Comment

Originally posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
                              Riding my horse on a trail that runs through the edge of town. Tied my horse up outside a little tourist-trap shop to go inside and get a bottle of water (store had a hitching rail). Come out and see a small child sitting on my 5yo, still-a-little-green, NEVER been around children, somewhat squirrelly gelding. Dad is trying to get a pic of junior on my horse but my fella is doing too much dancing, kid is flopping like a rag-doll up there.

Me: What the hell are you doing, get that kid off my horse

Dad: I need a picture first

Me: Get your damn kid off my horse!

Dad looks dumbfounded. I yank kid off horse and set him on the ground away from dancing hooves.

Me: What the hell is wrong with you? I oughta call the police!

Dad: Well I just wanted a picture

Me: Go to petting zoo for that crap. Besides, my horse isn't safe for children.

Dad: Well when he acts like that you should twist his ear and bite it.

Me: *hurls torrent of curses inappropriate for small children at father*

Mom appears out of nowhere horrified, hauls off dad and child.

I now make sure I pack bottled water every ride, and avoid the trail that runs through the edge of town.
                              I'd bet you anything that if it had been the dad's car parked out front and when he came outside, you were having someone take pictures while you posed on the hood, he would have flipped out worse than you (justifiably) did.

Comment

Originally posted by GotGait View Post
                                "Your horse is lame!" - said to me by a person who had never seen a Paso Fino in motion, circa 1980's.
                                A friend told me of experiencing sort of the opposite: Some people with Pasos asked HER if one of their horses looked "off," and she - a dressage rider - replied, "I'm sorry, but unless the horse was obviously 3-legged lame, I wouldn't be able to judge. I just don't know enough about Paso movement to know what is correct and what would be 'off'." LOL

Comment

Wow, runNjump, fyi you are totally one of those people we are talking about here -- you really come across as someone who knows everything and knows what's best for other people's horses.
                                  Jigga:
                                  Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy M View Post
                                    A friend told me of experiencing sort of the opposite: Some people with Pasos asked HER if one of their horses looked "off," and she - a dressage rider - replied, "I'm sorry, but unless the horse was obviously 3-legged lame, I wouldn't be able to judge. I just don't know enough about Paso movement to know what is correct and what would be 'off'." LOL
                                    Yes, I've had that too. My horse was a little off one day, but my barn manager told me she couldn't tell because the movement looked too weird from her perspective. I'm so used to it I can tell immediately.
                                    You are what you dare.

Comment

Quote: "She looked sad, eyes downcast, then proceeded to tell me with sorrow in her voice that if they loved me they'd stay close to me, you know, like the Native American's horses did, they didn't need fences."

Did she also mention that most Plains Indians kept their horses in bands, watched over by the boys in the tribe, and only one horse was kept by the tipi? And that that horse was tied to the owner's ankle (the rope went under the side of the tipi.)
                                      The horses didn't stay because they loved the man who rode them. They stayed because they were tied to him.
                                      Last edited by hrsmstr; Nov. 28, 2011, 07:52 PM. Reason: quote function didn't work
                                      The best thing to do on a golf course is a GALLOP!

Comment

Back in the day, shortly after the wheel was invented, I was a little kid riding a flea-bitten gray.

One day a barn mom saw me riding in the arena and started screaming, "Get you horse away from the other horses! Your horse has MEASLES!"

Comment

Originally posted by hrsmstr View Post
                                          Quote: "She looked sad, eyes downcast, then proceeded to tell me with sorrow in her voice that if they loved me they'd stay close to me, you know, like the Native American's horses did, they didn't need fences."

Did she also mention that most Plains Indians kept their horses in bands, watched over by the boys in the tribe, and only one horse was kept by the tipi? And that that horse was tied to the owner's ankle (the rope went under the side of the tipi.)
                                          The horses didn't stay because they loved the man who rode them. They stayed because they were tied to him.
                                          Nah, don't ever, ever, catch a fact in your dreamcatcher

Comment

Working...
                                          X