• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Strange Horse Advice from Total Strangers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good point, and i did catch that. if the dog loved her, why did she need a leash? what a piece of work she must've been....I think it is annoyingly hypocritical when people give unsolicited advice about things they know NOTHING about. The horse world seems to bring them out of the woodwork.

Like a fellow i know who says he rides with stirrups to show the horse who's boss. his gf will never ride with stirrups, as she doesn't believe in them, or even own a pair. it took me a few minutes to figure out what he was talking about. He meant SPURS....not stirrups. No one with as little knowledge as he has should be allowed NEAR a horse while wearing spurs!

Comment

When I was a kid at a show, a woman came up to me and started reeming me because my gelding was shod. I was going to ruin his feet, and he would "flounder" because I wasn't letting his hooves breathe.

I saw her later putting hoofblack on her horse.
      Originally posted by dizzywriter
      My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

Comment

Spend a summer guiding dudes and you will collect a ton of stories.

Dude: i had a horse, he was 15.6 hands.

My Bozz: a hand is 4 inches, so it would be 15.1, 15.2, 15.3 etc.

Dude: well that depends on if it's long hand or short hand.

*facepalm*

It was also while guiding dudes that i was thoroughly chastised for swimming my mustang gelding. In a river, in 90 degree heat. This horse had maybe 45 days of riding on him at the time, and my friend and i were debating whether to cross the river (swimming) or go downstream to the next bridge (i will insert here that i'd already swum the river on that very horse just a few days before...in the morning, when the temp was maybe 45). We were right by a walk bridge for the campground but knew we weren't supposed to take horses over it (and it was really narrow anyway). So we're standing there in water up to their knees discussing whether or not to cross when a woman on the bridge begins SHOUTING at us.

Woman: You need to get those poor horses home and blanket them and give them a shot of penicillin! They'll catch a bad cold standing in that water! I've been around horses all my life i KNOW!

Me: All i could mange was to cackle hysterically and ride away.
        People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they're lost.---Dalai Lama

Comment

Originally posted by hrsmstr View Post
          My 'strangest advice' was when I was 17 years old and working at the track as a hot walker. When the creep started walking alongside him, though, my colt started acting up.
          Creep says, "You know, girls got no business being round stallions."
          I didn't say anything, but I was very glad I had this big horse between him and me.
          "You wanna know why?"
          "Not particularly." I said. I know now why the colt was suddenly acting up-he was feeding off my fear.
          The creep continued, "You know why this colt is acting up?"
          I said, "Because he just finished a work?"
          Creep: "No, it's because you're on the rag and studs will try and breed you."
          You know that actually was the prevailing wisdom on the track "back in the day."

I've lost count of the number of times I was told this by old timey trackers (and even the younger guys) as an absolute truism.

This was back in the '70's...

Comment

Actually, I just remember some REALLY bad advice I tried to give to a woman regarding her show horse.

I had observed her & the horse during their class and I could clearly see her mount was extremely off, especially at the canter.

Right after the class was over I tried to go over and tell the poor gal how lame her horse really was.

Luckily, my friends stopped me.

It turns out that is the way a Western Pleasure horse is SUPPOSED to move.

But in my book it still counts as one of the weirdest thing I've ever seen a horse do....

Comment

One summer when I was riding head at a summer camp, we had an aged, TB-type mare that we had a hard time keeping weight on. (We got our horses from a lease somewhere, and didn't get to see them before they arrived at camp.) The mare was a sweetheart and a saint, and we were bringing her around with lots of good hay and rice bran, I think. The riding head from the boys' camp for our organization came over for a field day and saw her. (This was the same riding head that was using a horse with a bad suspensory in her program after we put our foot down on keeping the poor animal.) Her answer for the mare: "Just give her as many oats as she wants, let her eat all night. You can never founder a horse on oats" I always wondered if this girl actually owned horses...

Comment

Not a total stranger, but I had a barn owner tell me that if the pony I was tacking up for a lesson started chewing on the saddle, I was to punch him in the nose until he stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by tm View Post

I finally ran out of food, and I put on my sunglasses and skulked out to the food store. I was standing in the check out line when the woman in the line beside me leaned over and said gently, "You know, you don't have to stay with him, honey." I just thanked her, rather than trying to explain that the perpetrator was all of six months old.
                  Aw. That's kinda sweet and funny!
                  Horse Selling Hell
                  My Writing
                  People who think they know everything about horses know nothing

Comment

I just remembered a fun one.

I was about 14 years old at a sleep-away riding camp, and it was "test" day to determine what your riding level was. I had owned my own pony for years, been to this camp and knew the horses and the routine for years, and was a pretty well-versed rider at this point.

Brilliant new riding instructor told me it's my turn and to mount the obese white pony. I walked to pony, adjusted my stirrups, and went to tighten the girth since the saddle was sliding as I adjusted my irons.

Brilliant instructor - WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!
                    Me - Tightening the girth, the saddle feels like it's moving too much.
                    Brilliant instructor - Pony is ROUND, the girth is tight, mount your horse.
                    Me - I'd really like to tighten the girth.
                    Brilliant instructor - NO! It's tight enough. You can't get it any tighter. That's just how the saddle fits on her. Trust me! I'm your instructor!
                    Me - Okayyy

I proceeded to gently mount, and start riding around what was essentially a large wood fenced round pen.

I did my best to keep centered and balanced, but I felt saddle slipping when we're cantering. I tried to throw my weight to get the saddle back centered, but failed. Saddle slid all the way around to the side of the pony, and I collided with a board with a nice nail pointing out. Nail sliced through my shirt and my shoulder/back, and almost 10 years later, I still have a scar from it.

I got up, found myself to be fine minus the cut from the nail, and went to undoing the girth so I could fix the saddle.

Brilliant instructor - Are you okay?
                    Me - I'm fine, but I told you the girth was too loose.
                    Brilliant instructor - IT WAS NOT! Pony is just ROUND!
                    Me - Are you crazy, did you not just see the saddle move almost complete under the horse's belly?!
                    Brilliant instructor - No, you need to keep your balance better.
                    Me - I hope you're not going to be my regular instructor.

And then I walked away. Thankfully, for me at least!, she got placed to the beginner riders so I didn't have to deal with her. When I told my mother weeks later, she was LIVID, and chewed Brilliant instructor a new one for being so dangerously ignorant.

Comment

Sheeesh! Some of these are just plain scary as far as advice goes!

I remember several years ago a work colleague who was a heavy smoker, drinker, bit of a gambler etc used to give me friendly banter and jibe me about owning such an expensive animal, I recall him harping on at me about why would I spend so much money each month on feed, care, boarding fees etc and giving me the run down on how much of a waste of money it was yada yada..

One day I replied with "I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't gamble, I don't do drugs, and infact I barely even spend money on other outside things aside from regular household bills!!!

Due to his endless ramblings,I remember I ended up doing the sums on his cigarettes (approx a pack per day @ say 13.50 per pack $AUD) and drinking that worked out to around say $100 (AUD) odd per week (inluding going to bars or buying from the store to take home) and he gambled!!! So not even taking the gambling into consideration, he was already outdoing me in the expenses department!!!

My horse is my gym membership, my entertainment, my social life, my mental health doctor, my friend and companion and makes me extremely happy, keeps me sane, gets me off the couch and doing something productive! (He still didn't see it that way even though he knew I was right and had him with my findings!!!)

Sadly my colleague did pass away from lung cancer at age 57 two years ago.

Although he was my colleague and we did get along quite well, the above has never rang more true to me now than when we used to have these conversations.

Comment

"Your horse is lame!" - said to me by a person who had never seen a Paso Fino in motion, circa 1980's.

I also has a self-professed "cowboy" tell me that the first thing he did when breaking a stallion was to "hit 'em on the head with a 2x4 to teach 'em who's boss."
                        You are what you dare.

Comment

A dear kind-hearted woman who boards at my facility but in another of the boarding barns saw me measuring my horse's hematoma (sisters got in a pasture argument and little sister lost.) She asked "oh does your horse have hives too?" and I said "no, she's just got a hematoma from a fight with her sister" and she then informed me that it wasn't a hematoma (it was like 9cm X 15 cm) it was actually a "giant hive" and I shouldn't be self treating, I should TALK TO MY VET (lol!) and have him give me some fungus shampoo because hives are caused by fungus.

She wandered off before I could formulate a "nice" response and my tech who was holding the horse burst into raucous laughter.

It was some months later before she actually realized I was a DVM and in fact I was the same DVM who vaccinated her horse and floated his teeth.
                          Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
                          Sam: A job? Does it pay?
                          Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
                          Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Comment

Originally posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
                            Dad: Well when he acts like that you should twist his ear and bite it.

Comment

Some years ago I was riding my horse at the barn where I board. A woman drove up and asked if she could have some old horse shoes for her class (she was a kindergarten teacher). I told her where to look and went on riding. Suddenly she starts angrily asking me what I was doing and wasn't that abuse. I was at a total loss, I was just riding. Finally I figured out she thought posting at the trot looked cruel to the horse. I tried to explain nicely but she kept berating me for being mean to the horse. Finally told her to go away and read up about riding. I love people who are experts on stuff they've never seen before

Comment

I have to tell this one on myself.

I was a self-taught young teen rider in a very rural area. A retired couple who occasionally rode past our place invited me to ride with them, which I gladly accepted.

So, we're moving along at a nice "going places" trot and I looked over at the horse next to me. Legs are going everywhere! I looked down at my mare--normal trot. Back to the left--legs flying in every direction, head bobbing.

I finally worked up the nerve to say "Excuse me, I think there's something wrong with your horse..." and explained how the trot looked really, really off to me and I was afraid their horse was lame. I'm sure I blushed right down to my toes when they started laughing and explained what a "Tennessee Walking Horse" is supposed to look like...
                                ---------------------------

Comment

I worked one summer as a driver for a horse and carriage company in a smallish city. The horses didn't live in the city, the lived in a lush pasture 30 minutes away and were trailered in every day. As a result of living in a HUGE lush pasture as well as rotating the work through the herd, all them were chubby. And not like a TB chubby- Draft Percheron Chubby!

And yet... I can't tell you the number of times I got yelled at for abusing those horses. Even when we were just standing at our "parking spot", horse happily napping. They were all clearly clean, well fed, and happy. Although it was summer we didn't work if it was too hot, and water was available between rides (time between rides was minimum 15 minutes so the horses could chill, pee, drink, etc.)

The one point NO ONE ever commented on was that one of the horses had a tremendous big knee from a pasture injury as a younger horse. Any horse person would have noticed it- it looked AWFUL, but she was sound on it, at the trot, on the asphalt, and had been for years.

Those were some of the best kept horses I ever met, well trained and pleasant to work with.
                                  Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

Used to have a buddy who had recently gotten a horse, without "doing her homework" so to speak. I mentioned to her via email that my pony had developed heaves, and how worried i was. She emailed back that she gave her horse benadryl for hives. I emailed again, it was HEAVES, not hives. thinking she had misread the word. She replied again that she gave benadryl for hives. I sent another email telling her it was HEAVES, explaining it was a BREATHING problem. She said she'd never heard of such a thing. O M G!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WildBlue View Post
                                      I have to tell this one on myself.

I was a self-taught young teen rider in a very rural area. A retired couple who occasionally rode past our place invited me to ride with them, which I gladly accepted.

So, we're moving along at a nice "going places" trot and I looked over at the horse next to me. Legs are going everywhere! I looked down at my mare--normal trot. Back to the left--legs flying in every direction, head bobbing.

I finally worked up the nerve to say "Excuse me, I think there's something wrong with your horse..." and explained how the trot looked really, really off to me and I was afraid their horse was lame. I'm sure I blushed right down to my toes when they started laughing and explained what a "Tennessee Walking Horse" is supposed to look like...
                                      The first time I saw a Missouri Foxtrotter, I thought the horse was dead lame, lol. I had about the same reaction you did, both the comment and the massive blush afterward.
                                      Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

I did the same on a MO Foxtrotter but had the good sense to not say it out loud.

I once saw in Equus article, a horse was 15.5 hands. Equus!!

Someone tried to take up my snaffle bridle, where the horse was holding the bit, because they thought the horse would spit the mouthpiece out.

Never, ever touch my horse or tack.
                                        GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

Yup, this is old - 50s, 60s, 70s - since time began?

Originally posted by Kyzteke View Post
                                          You know that actually was the prevailing wisdom on the track "back in the day."

I've lost count of the number of times I was told this by old timey trackers (and even the younger guys) as an absolute truism.

This was back in the '70's...
                                          I got that everywhere there were any stallions around. The track, the breeding farms, at shows when I showed stallions. Stupid men, they had to be the big man, "wimin shouldn't be around the big studs because their periods were like the heat in horses". Are you kidding me???? Is anyone that backwards anymore? Maybe there is something to schools having comprehensive sex ed now, I don't know.... haven't heard this ignorant comment in a long time.

Comment

Working...
                                          X