• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sunkissed Acres happier mule tale.. Update w/ pics Jul 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunkissed Acres happier mule tale.. Update w/ pics Jul 7

My daughter and I went to visit Sunkissed Acres this morning thinking we would help feed and muck stalls and visit for a while. We had some stuff to drop off for the store and were looking forward to a nice day at the farm. When we drove up, SKissed was waiting and said hop in the truck we are going to see a welsh pony that someone abandoned in a park.

We jumped in and headed to the animal control officer's home where the "pony " had been taken. When we got there we looked for a pony but instead we saw the most heart wrenchingly pitiful burro. She was just skin and bones with a horribly swollen hind leg that was covered in maggots. She was standing on foundered feet and was pretty listless. This was the "welsh pony".

Some asshat had left her in the park to die and when she was found dogs had been harrassing her and trying to chew on her. SKissed loaded her up and she was driven to the Sunkissed rescue. There we unloaded her and gave her some food while SKissed called the vet who had already seen her the previous night after she had been found. The burro has a grade 6 out of 6 heart murmur along with the founder and leg injury. The vet recommended euthanasia. With heavy hearts, we got some shampoo and brushes and cleaned the old girl up. She had matted hair and the maggots were all over her bad leg and also on her other hind leg as well as on her belly. It was like the maggots were just waiting on her to die. It was one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen.

Anyway, long story short, her name is Heart and we left SKissed waiting on the vet to come out to see if there is any hope for the old girl. I hated to leave but we had to get back to our horses. Please keep Heart in your prayers. She is a sweet old girl who deserved so much more. At least, for whatever time she has left, she will be taken care of like a princess.
    Last edited by bird4416; Jul. 7, 2008, 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

What a sad sad story. Bird, Heart is resting comfortable. She ate rather well and finally laid down. She is comfy I hope. The vets biggest concern is whether her heart can take this. Not sure if they injury caused the heart problem or if it has existed for a time.

for someone to abandon and animal in such distress is heartwrenching. Abandoned in this heat, unable to walk and so badly injured, the maggots arent waiting for you to die even. The dogs are already eating your carcass alive. The newspaper guy came out and took pics of Miss Heart. She will get a nice plug out of this and hopefully, someone will tell us who she belonged too. How many chocolate donkeys are in summerville ya think. You know she didnt come from far for sure.

You all just keep jingliing for Heart. If there is a will, we will find a way. And Bird and Brittney, thankyou for the hard work. Gross was a huge understatement to having maggots crawling all over us. The stench was enough to wake the dead.

Bless you hearts for sticking it through.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Comment

This is a heart-wrenching story. Jingling hard and loud for Heart- may she know a few or better many days of good care at Sunkissed.
      DGRH, this is calling for a curse on the previous owners, don't you think?!

Comment

Jingling like mad for Heart!!
        http://burpclothsandsaddlepads.blogspot.com/

Comment

Good Lord...I can't understand how sopme people can do this.
          I'm hoping for the best for this girl...but a grade 6 out of 6 murmur is damned bad. My mare just passed away end of March from the same grade murmur. Granted it had been that bad for over a year...but *any* stress could kill her and this little donk has to have had some major stress...not to mention more during the recovery time. Tranquilizing can't be done...not with a murmur that high.
          But...there's still some small hope. The pain and infection haven't killed her or stopped that heart yet...heat is a major issue with bad heart murmurs...compromised breathing. Fans and frequent hosing her down and keeping her out of the sun on hot days. Nowhere hot and stuffy.
          My best thoughts for the little donk...please keep us updated.
          You jump in the saddle,
          Hold onto the bridle!
          Jump in the line!
          ...Belefonte

Comment

Oh poor baby! People that do this to animals ought to be skinned alive! Massive amounts of jingles from North Carolina! I hope Heart gets better soon.
            Devil Pup 13 May 2010
            Veni, vidi, nates calce concidi
            Molly~4yo Blue Heeler & Dakota Nov 09 Baby Heeler

Comment

Originally posted by Rider in Training View Post
              This is a heart-wrenching story. Jingling hard and loud for Heart- may she know a few or better many days of good care at Sunkissed.
              DGRH, this is calling for a curse on the previous owners, don't you think?!
              I just don't see how explosive diahreaa for the rest of your life is enough. We need more than that.

Lori, bless you, and bless the Bird family!!! for helping out. No wonder you didn't answer the phone when I called - you had enough on your plate.
              www.specialhorses.org
              a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

How awful. Poor Heart!! Jingling like mad for her.
                A Merrick N Dream Farm
                Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Comment

Poor little donkey - the cruelty of people never ceases to amaze me!

Major jingles for Heart from PA - she sounds like a fighter to have made it this long - please keep us updated.

Comment

Originally posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
                    I just don't see how explosive diahreaa for the rest of your life is enough. We need more than that.
                    A chronic plague of painful pustulent festering boils on the private parts and a lifetime of misery and lonliness does it for me.

Comment

Ah, Thomas, I knew you'd come through for us!
                      www.specialhorses.org
                      a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

Yep Thomas has it right... that and more...

Jingles from Indiana for Heart.... Love the name....

all of us here at Castle Heart Farms are pulling for you!!
                        www.CastleHeartFarms.com
                        Hunters, Jumpers, Equitation and Ponies
                        Don't practice until you do it right, practice until you can't do it wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas_1 View Post
                          A chronic plague of painful pustulent festering boils on the private parts and a lifetime of misery and lonliness does it for me.
                          AMEN and more!

Comment

Jingles for a painless outcome for Heart. AND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! may the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits (and their fingers drop off so they can't scratch)

Comment

What Thomas said. And then some.

Comment

That poor, poor sweet girl

If she IS able to pull through her other problems, you may find that she is not actually foundered, donkeys easily grow a very long, distorted foot when they are neglected that can look like founder, but in fact trims up very well.

I hope you can get her far enough to find out..poor baby
                                I recognized with despair that I was about to be compelled to buy a horse ~
                                Edith Somerville and "Martin Ross"

"Momma" to Tiempo, Tucker and Puff, RIP my beautiful Norman 8/2012

Comment

Updates on this little gal will be day by day. That will be her lot but let me tell you this. She finally drank some water, she ate all her hay and feed, and when I came in to the barn tonight, she nickered at me. She ASKED me for more feed. What harm can it do now. I gave it to her and she thanked me. She has had a normal bowel movement, there are gutteral sounds and she is both lying down and getting up.

The infection is more my worry than the heart. The heart will take her quickly, the infection, slowly. So, I am going to tell the vet tomorrow that Heart does not want to die just yet. Need meds. Hearts time may not be long but rest assured, this little donkey will know a kind hand, the last hand. She had her feeties trimmed today if you call it that and then my farrier looked at her. Decided nothing needed to be done today.

She seems to be comfy or as comfy as can be. I am still picking maggots out of her hair though but at least they are looking to leave now, not dine.

All I can do now if pray that I am not seeing something that isnt there. I havent been wrong yet about those who choose to fight and dont think I am now but still, always pray I am reading it right. Just keep jingling for this little gal. I will try and get pics to post. We got lots of pics today before anything was done, hope the maggots actually show through. The newspaper guy came and did a story on her. I hope whomever owned her is found through this. Charges can be and will be filed. They left this little darling for dog food.
                                  'And on a good note, the temps are supposed to be down by 10 degrees for the next week or so. that will help tremendously in her recovery.
                                  Hooray for Heart, she;s a fighter.
                                  Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Comment

I'm glad, I would hate for the majority of her final days to be spent in that way. I hope she can hold on long enough to have a memory full of love.

Comment

I like Sues curse the best. If Heart is nickering for food she is still afighter.

Am I up the wrong tree on this or did "doctors" in the really old days use maggots to get rid of rotting/infected flesh so the body could heal properly?

Peole never cease to amaze me...
                                      “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Comment

Huge jingles for Heart from Iowa.

Comment

Working...
                                        X