• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Building trust with your horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building trust with your horse

How do you build trust with your horse? Do you spend time with them? Groom them? What do you think is important to do to help facilitate trust building?

I never spend time "building trust."

To me that implies a negotiation.

If you act like a leader and quietly but firmly expect your horse to follow your lead, he will do so. Put the saddle on without letting him sniff it and expect him to stand quietly for it. He will. Use a firm "go" command to get him to step into the water and he will. When he spooks in a corner ride only in that corner and expect him to get over himself and he will. If he doesn't like the fly spray keep right on spraying until he stands quietly and he will get over it.

As herd animals I think horses are much more comfortable being told that everything is fine than being coaxed tentatively along.
    The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
    Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
    Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
    The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Spending time & doing stuff with them, behaving in a trustworthy way. I don't think there are any shortcuts to real trust!

Comment

I tend to radiate a very low amount of energy. Around horses this goes down even further, and on a scale of say, 1-5, with five meaning that a person radiates a lot of energy outwards, my friends tell me I radiate zero energy when I deal with horses. It goes a long way towards quietly and efficiently handling them. So, I pretty much stay the way I am every day, keep the routines the same, and sooner or later, for the most part, they adjust.

If you're a horse and you don't have someone going crazy at you out of the blue for no reason you can predict or understand, or acting nervous like there's snakes around their feet all the time, and the level of care, handling, riding and commitment remains quiet and efficient day in and day out right around the calendar, well then, what's left to distrust?
        "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post

I disagree. It's feel it's like any other relationship.

Some horses will respond to a strong leadership style, but not the really tough ones (IMO). And I think they are often the ones capable of forming the strongest bonds. It all depends on how you define trust and what behaviors you're trying to acheive.

Comment

Just spending time bonding with them. Not just doing mushy smooshy stuff. I take mine for a walk, brush him, sit in his stall with him, etc. He will go to sleep while I am brushing him. I also know which spots will make him relax more.
            OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane - the big dog!
            Tuggy - RIP 9/12/2016 - Wait for me at the bridge
            Foster LolaMaria AKA LolaBean (Boxer)

Comment

I love negotiating with my horses, it's a real two way street and that makes it a much more interesting and worthwhile hobby than a one way street.
              This is my hobby, I spend most of my spare time and money on them and for me the enjoyment is from a two way exchange/communication, call it what you will, with animals of a different species who don't speak English. That's the challenge, that's the thrill,to build up a relationship of mutual trust where you can think, yeah this is dangerous. He's 3/4 of a ton and has a brain the size of an apple but I can gallop and jump him and put his rug on while he's eating and I can be safe because... well they're mostly such generous creatures I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by srs View Post
                How do you build trust with your horse? Do you spend time with them? Groom them? What do you think is important to do to help facilitate trust building?
                Which one of you has a confidence problem?
                2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Comment

I have found a lot of ground work starts the trust, but I noticed a big difference when we were riding or showing together and we made it through sticky situations and what I directed him to do we did it together and made it, really deep in on a fence, going through a scary part on a trail. I've also had realizations that I may trust him in some areas riding and not others. So definiteyl a two way street, but I do believe a bond needs to be create in the form of a relationship to really connect.
                  Calm & Collected, 13, OTTB
                  Forrest Gump (Catasauqua) , 17, OTTB
                  Little Bit Indian, 29, TB
                  Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Comment

Carrots.

Comment

Watched a vid of Meupatdoes on a bay TB mare off the track, maybe she'll post a link to it.
                      Anyway, Meup has a fantastic grasp of the meaning of Firm. No, we aren't going that way. We're going this way. Half/rearing and spinning toward the barn does not work for me. Walk this way. She is as firm as can be, but not ever mad, upset, or ever doing more than necessary to get her point across, and she is well within the realm of what the horse can be reasonably asked, at that moment and emotional development, to do. When you can be consistently firm, a horse can begin to respect you as a leader.

That will build trust between horse and handler. I really don't know of any other way to do it, though done properly it can be groundwork, longeing, round-pen work, or riding.

Comment

I think I agree with what everyone has said because I think there is more then just one type of trust.

Meupatdoes builds a leadership trust.

Chief2 builds a trust by lowering her energy.

AppendixQHLover spends time doing things with the horse that they both enjoy.

I think that in my opinion, the only criteria I'd place upon what anyone might consider "trust", is that both the horse and the person both become more safe with each other, because of their interaction together.

I think that trust by definition has to involve some potential element of risk for both parties, and the component that we consider as trust, is really a sense of mutual faith that neither party will ever be intentionally harmed by the other.

But this sense of faith by a horse person also needs to include the knowledge that a horse is capable of acting in ways that might cause the person harm with absolutely no intention to do so on the part of the horse. So the prudent horse person will never put themselves in any unnecessary positions where they might be harmed, and equally as important, the horse person will never place the horse in any unnecessary positions where the horse might be harmed.

Comment

Here is the video that was mentioned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as0WWi4k8bw

Yes, strong leadership.
                          But also very low energy.

No I am not going to negotiate, though, on walking around the perimeter like a normal horse.
                          The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                          Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                          Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                          The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

The best thing I ever did to build confidence and trust between my horse and I was taking him to a 3 day cross country clinic. He's a hunter/jumper with fear of wide open spaces and he was too much horse for me when I bought him but I gradually learned to ride him properly with the help of strict training program (for both of us!). 3 days in wide fields and jumping crazy, SOLID jumps that we'd never seen before...amazing. He had to trust me and I had to trust him. Spent 4-6 hours a day out and about. A lot of walking in woods, through rivers, over bridges and through cattle ranches to get to different areas to school. We flushed out deer, jumped 4ft high solid fences, had to leave the 'herd' and go past construction sites. We finished the clinic by building up to the water jump...our last jump was a 4 ft drop into the water!

After that, negotiating the terrain of a show - which used to blow my horse's mind - was NOTHING. Idling duallys? Nothing compared to a oil rig being moved on a semi 20 ft away. Cattle in the field? Beats having a deer startle 4 ft away. Puddles? We walked in rivers up to my horse's chest. Wooden planks to cover the mud? We crossed every kind of bridge imaginable. It instilled HUGE confidence in both of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Fillabeana
                              Watched a vid of Meupatdoes on a bay TB mare off the track, maybe she'll post a link to it. Anyway, Meup has a fantastic grasp of the meaning of Firm. No, we aren't going that way. We're going this way. Half/rearing and spinning toward the barn does not work for me. Walk this way. She is as firm as can be, but not ever mad, upset, or ever doing more than necessary to get her point across, and she is well within the realm of what the horse can be reasonably asked, at that moment and emotional development, to do. When you can be consistently firm, a horse can begin to respect you as a leader.
                              Oh, I'd love to watch that video too. Meupatdoes would you be ok to share it? Thanks so much!

Edited to add, sorry just noticed it has been posted, THANKS mucho!!!

Comment

Here is the video that was mentioned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as0WWi4k8bw

Yes, strong leadership.
                                But also very low energy.

No I am not going to negotiate, though, on walking around the perimeter like a normal horse.
                                This. Nice riding, Meupatdoes.
                                "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

I'm with RBow. I try never to ask my horse to do something for which he is not prepared when we work. And there is reward, as well, so he knows when I am pleased. And sometimes he has only to try, to offer, to make that so.

And my reward? There have been plenty of times that he has something legitimate to spook at/flee from, and a quiet, "It's okay" is all it takes for him to be quiet.
                                  www.specialhorses.org
                                  a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

How do you build trust with your horse?... What do you think is important to do to help facilitate trust building?
                                    Go for adventures. Set out to accomplish tasks that require teamwork.
                                    Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Spending time with them in general of course, but furthering on that, working with them at liberty, working on trust-building exercises on the ground, and spending time in the saddle.

My primary goal with any horse (as it pertains to my partnership with them) is balancing trust and respect with them. With some horses my focus is on respect while simply maintaining a healthy level of trust, with other horses I have to work and focus on earning a higher level of trust, while maintaining a healthy level of respect. In general, both come by offering calm, assertive leadership to the horse. I use a variety of exercises and scenarios in the arena, in the roundpen, and just hacking the horse out to create situations where the horse is challenged and is set up to rely on my leadership. The horse then learns to rely on, and look to, my leadership, and thereby trust is earned.

Whether I work the horse at liberty, in the arena, out on the trail, on the ground, or under-saddle - where I focus my energy, depends on the horse and what it needs. Liberty work makes a huge difference to horses who have larger trust issues, because they have the choice to work with you or not. Of course you set things up in your favour however, but the key is they think the choice is theirs This works also for horses who are rather indifferent to working with you. On the ground, it's primarily about using a variety of exercises whereby the horse can learn you'll be consistent (but persistent) in your ask, fair, and soft - basically, they learn you will ALWAYS behave in a trustworthy way, as fburton referred to. They learn what to expect and can predict how you will always act (especially if they make a mistake or are scared, and as they experience new things). You also challenge them via say 'scary' or 'sticky' scenarios and when they live through it via following your leadership, they learn to trust that what you ask is possible and that you will keep them safe. Under-saddle, basically same idea. Hacking out or performing a specific job (such as working cattle) they're presented with a variety of scenarios and challenges whereby they're forced to rely on your leadership - they live, they learn to trust.

Imo there is a fine balance between compromising with the horse (ie, taking what they can give and building off that, catering to their needs and considering their wants and needs), and offering that calm assertive leadership and having high expectations. There's room for both. Negotiations come in the form of understanding what the horse is and is not capable of, and pushing them to the limit so they learn, without pushing them over that limit. So sometimes I might have to accept a little less than I expected, and build off that. In areas where it truly does not matter (such as sniffing the saddle), I will cater to the horse if it makes a difference to the horse, because it builds a good relationship with the horse.
                                      ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                                      ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

If you act like a leader and quietly but firmly expect your horse to follow your lead, he will do so. Put the saddle on without letting him sniff it and expect him to stand quietly for it. He will. Use a firm "go" command to get him to step into the water and he will. When he spooks in a corner ride only in that corner and expect him to get over himself and he will. If he doesn't like the fly spray keep right on spraying until he stands quietly and he will get over it.

As herd animals I think horses are much more comfortable being told that everything is fine than being coaxed tentatively along.
                                        I agree. This and always fair treatment go a long way.

Comment

Working...
                                        X