• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse sold without owner's knowledge to slaughter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse sold without owner's knowledge to slaughter

A caretaker sold a client's horse without her permission, and the horse was sent to slaughter. So sad.

http://cjonline.com/news/2011-10-15/...t#.TpsO13Jst8E

Memories and photographs are all that remain of Rhapsody Rhose.

Jaime Cowan, who rode the purebred Arabian since childhood, clings to these as if grieving the death of a family member.

"I can still smell her," she said. "I can still feel her breath in my hair."

Rhapsody's demise is layered with betrayal by a friend and indifference by others. It also is an economic treatise shaped by America's prevalent view of equines as companion animals, the overseas desire for horse meat and the buyers, packers and shippers seizing opportunity.

The United States halted butcher of horses for human consumption four years ago, but sustained export of live animals.

Cowan said Rhapsody was sold by a Jackson County caretaker without her permission. Evidence points to the horse moving through Texas to Mexico. The 138,000 U.S. horses annually trucked to Canada or Mexico for slaughter endure a blur of unfamiliar corrals and trailer rides. Rhapsody's end likely came with a spine-severing knife thrust.

Critics say the trafficking system is rife with unethical business practices. They question safety of meat from horses given medicine unfit for people.

Slaughter proponents say low horse prices and rising costs of maintaining stock place owners in a quandary. What to do with culled horses? Powerful interests, including the 300,000-member American Quarter Horse Association, demand restoration of commercial slaughter.

Cowan never imagined Rhapsody would be a personal symbol of this debate.

"Rhapsody still had the heart of a 10-year-old," she said. "The most reliable of friends was taken from me."
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Something similar happened to a lady I know back in the 90s. She free leased a horse out and the people that got her sold her at an auction and she went to slaughter. So sad...
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

Comment

So sad - makes me want to run to the barn and hug my horses!
      Originally posted by Sithly
      do NOT give your 5 year old child a big bag of apples and send her out alone into a herd of 20-some horses to get mobbed. There are better ways to dispose of unwanted children.

Comment

That, surely, is no the WHOLE story. It is however an old story that is doing the internet rounds yet again.
        "Topeka Capital Journal
        The unauthorized sale in April of an Arabian mare owned by Jaime Cowan, of Delia"

If she failed to pay upkeep for said horse, then the BO has the right to sell after 30 days in Kansas, but you never hear the other side of the story.
        Last edited by Equibrit; Oct. 16, 2011, 02:47 PM.
        ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

The comments are almost as disturbing as the content. The only arguments for horse slaughter given are that people are not responsible and too lazy to put down a horse that they can no longer keep. The $100 bucks sure looks better! Hey can be sell the grandparents too?!

Comment

Originally posted by englishcowgirl View Post
            The comments are almost as disturbing as the content. The only arguments for horse slaughter given are that people are not responsible and too lazy to put down a horse that they can no longer keep. The $100 bucks sure looks better! Hey can be sell the grandparents too?!
            How much are you asking for the grandparents?
            Tell me more, what can they do?

Surely the story is not quite as told, sounds more like some deadbeat owner quit paying and the stableman's lien determined how the BO could dispose of the horse.

If someone really cares about a horse, they see that the horse is tended to properly or place it where it is if they can't.
            When you abandon the horse, really, to come later and said it was so loved, that sounds a bit fishy.

Very sad as told, but maybe more drama to the story than how it really happened?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post
              That, surely, is no the WHOLE story. It is however an old story that is doing the internet rounds yet again.
              "Topeka Capital Journal
              The unauthorized sale in April of an Arabian mare owned by Jaime Cowan, of Delia"

If she failed to pay upkeep for said horse, then the BO has the right to sell after 30 days in Kansas, but you never hear the other side of the story.
              Oh, I agree. This can't be the whole story. BUT if it is and there really was no fault on the owner's part then it is quite sad. However, there are always two sides!
              http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
              The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
              Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
              Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Comment

Agreed, this story (or similar) has been making the rounds for years.

Why do people keep sending this type of stuff around? The video of the dog pulling the other dog off the highway (in Portugal or Mexico or something) was just reposted on a friend's FB page this morning. I remember getting it in email years ago.
                COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

If somebody sells something they don't own it's theft. If it's valuable enough it's felony theft.

If a boarder does not pay their bills and the caretaker sells the animal IAW state law it might be a tragedy but it's not a violation of any law.

Slaughter is the "safety valve" on the industry. Tie it down and watch the trouble that results.

G.
                  Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Originally posted by Guilherme View Post
                    If somebody sells something they don't own it's theft. If it's valuable enough it's felony theft.

If a boarder does not pay their bills and the caretaker sells the animal IAW state law it might be a tragedy but it's not a violation of any law.

Slaughter is the "safety valve" on the industry. Tie it down and watch the trouble that results.

G.
                    A rational analysis. Thank you.

Comment

Just Want To Clarify

I wish I would have seen this thread long ago, but for some reason, it just showed up. I would like to clarify a few things. For starters, this was not a made up thing. This was very real and it happened to me. I am the owner of Rhapsody Rhose. There are no secrets, just a very guilty, drunk man that does not think about his actions first.
                      I rode Rhapsody since age 10. When in my 20's, I did not ride her much, as she was my neighbors horse, but he always called her mine...He had no children, and it was obvious to everyone in town that his passion was to teach others about the Arabian mares he had.
                      But in March of 2010, after I had spent several months riding her again, her owner approached my husband and I and asked if we would be interested in having her....but we lived in town and had no place to keep her. I had a bottle calf then, and she was kept by our close family friend. When talking about Rhapsody, he immediately wanted to go check her out. He had a horse, and always wanted a riding friend, but no one really had the time. I believe he was excited to finally have someone to travel with him. But we went to the small town, there was the transfer of the title and the bill of sale was signed, etc. We headed home. From that point on, I NEVER missed a whole day seeing her, with the exception of one week when my husband had suffered a heart attack and was in the hospital. Even then, I only missed 3 feedings, and Bob knew about that. There were times that due to a schedule change at work, I would have to put off our visits til primarily evening or morning, but everything still worked out pretty good. I rode her all the time...could out my kids on her and she was amazing!
                      Then the friend of ours got mixed up with a woman who was very annoyed with the presence of me and my daughters on the farm riding Rhapsody and doing chores. Very often, she would literally follow me around the farm with her hands on her hips staring at me. Once, she even told me to get my 'ugly kids' and leave. I talked to my husband and we started putting the word out that we needed to find some pasture for her to graze on, and could look for a place to keep her over the winter in the meantime. I had worked a night shift on a Saturday night, and got home Sunday morning around 6:30. My husband was going to take the feed I had bought about a week prior, up to the farm for me, but when he arrived, Rhapsody was gone. He came home and woke me, and that is when I started my battle.
                      It has been over a year since Rhapsody died. IT was confirmed by the auction owner and the kill buyer, that she was taken to the border and shipped to slaughter in Mexico. Since then, though Bob has broken up with his girlfriend and openly admits that what he did was wrong, and I did not owe boarding because we were like family. Boarding was never even discussed among us because I helped out on the farm year round...and for 3 years prior to her arrival that March day in 2010. I worked my butt off on that farm and I provided excellent care to my horse. Any person that knows me, knows that I am a good pet owner and I would have done anything to get her back. What happened was so wrong, illegal, and admitted to be by both the Sheriff and the county attorney, but they sent me a letter stating that though laws were broken, they viewed it as a civil matter. No criminal charges were pressed and though multiple lame apologies have been attempted, I have not forgiven Bob, nor will I ever. What he did ruined my life. The only good out of the entire thing, is that I learned valuable lessons about trust and the justice system. I have not pursued a civil suit though it has been told I have a very good case, there are no lawyers in this area that take on cases for Tort of Outrage, or Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress. I now suffer from PTSD, have seperated from my husband, and live a very terrifying life with my 2 children and 2 therapeutic horses, as I will forever fear for their safety. This story is not at all what some have made it out to be. It is not a matter of a dead beat owner. It is one of heartache and injustice. I thank you for reading this.
                      Please watch this for more insight. Thank you.
                      Jaime
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCtl7vuzRYw

Comment

Originally posted by justice4rhapsody View Post
                        What he did ruined my life.

I now suffer from PTSD, have seperated from my husband, and live a very terrifying life with my 2 children and 2 therapeutic horses, as I will forever fear for their safety.
                        Please, get some therapeutic help. I know you loved your horse, but, this is going way beyond bounds. Your kids are watching you, learning how you deal with bad things that happen. In all my years of owning horses, I've had a few bad things happen, such as theft, you pick up and move on. Not let it dictate your whole life from then on.

ETA: Okay, I'm going to be the meanie...you're letting it ruin your life. Sorry, sometimes a smack up side the head shakes you and makes you think things through. I'm a been there, done that gal.
                        Last edited by goneriding24; Jul. 1, 2012, 02:00 AM. Reason: /
                        GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

If it eases your mind even a tiny bit, she most likely got killed with a captive bolt gun or gunshot, just like we used to do. The EU SH to which the vast majority of horses in Mex go, are killed by gun/CBG. Only a few thousand a yr are killed by pithing (knife to spine), and that amount is the same as it was when our SH are open. That meat is not exported and is used in the factories to feed workers, often disguised as beef.
                          I'd love to see a tatoo/brand that indicates horses are not ever to be slaughtered. That way, if you sold a horse, or had it stolen, the purchasers/theives would know in advance that they will not be able to profit from it's slaughter.
                          Last edited by jetsmom; Jul. 1, 2012, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by goneriding24 View Post
                            Please, get some therapeutic help. I know you loved your horse, but, this is going way beyond bounds. Your kids are watching you, learning how you deal with bad things that happen. In all my years of owning horses, I've had a few bad things happen, such as theft, you pick up and move on. Not let it dictate your whole life from then on.

ETA: Okay, I'm going to be the meanie...you're letting it ruin your life. Sorry, sometimes a smack up side the head shakes you and makes you think things through. I'm a been there, done that gal.
                            Ditto.

Time to get over it, sweetie. You have much more important things in your life to be concentrating on.......like your children. And your two other horses.

If it's really that bad, find an attorney who will take your civil suit. You'll have to pay him/her, but if your life is truly so severely affected by the loss of this one horse, you need to set it right - no matter what it costs.
                            In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                            A life lived by example, done too soon.
                            www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

Agreed. As horrible an experience as you had in the loss of this horse, it's ok not to forgive the man who did this to you but you need to take this for what it is. There was nothing different you could have done and therefore you need to value the experience you gained from this. Take the energy that is currently "ruining your life" and focus it on being a better owner for your horses, a better mom to your kids (I'm not saying you're not a good mom, but the energy you're currently using to dwell on your experience could be put to better use and maybe spent on your kids instead) and maybe become an advocate in other ways. Volunteer in horse rescue. Sharing your story can be very cathartic and therapeutic. I'm sure your horse doesn't hold any grudges by the rainbow bridge. She never blamed you and now it's time for you to forgive yourself.

Comment

This is terrible.
                                I actually bought two at a slaughter auction to prevent the killer buyer from getting them. The owner and horses were from out of state. The seller just said they were hers when they were not and didn't have to fulfill the requirments she would have had she admitted they were out of state horses.
                                The owner whom I located did not know they had gone to the slaughter sale. The seller specifically said she wanted them to go to the killer buyer as she was mad at the yearling - nothing wrong with the horse, just a stupid handler.

Comment

These losses are difficult to deal with and her loss and grief is real. Don't dog her for it. She in turn, needs to think about life after death-----------if she believes in it. Perhaps she should take up kick boxing to release her pent up anger ------------ seriously. I could not watch the video.

Comment

Oh my...I only watched a couple minutes. *tears* A trusted FAMILY friend. Terrible betrayal. I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by justice4rhapsody View Post
                                      I wish I would have seen this thread long ago, but for some reason, it just showed up. I would like to clarify a few things. For starters, this was not a made up thing. This was very real and it happened to me. I am the owner of Rhapsody Rhose. There are no secrets, just a very guilty, drunk man that does not think about his actions first.
                                      I rode Rhapsody since age 10. When in my 20's, I did not ride her much, as she was my neighbors horse, but he always called her mine...He had no children, and it was obvious to everyone in town that his passion was to teach others about the Arabian mares he had.
                                      But in March of 2010, after I had spent several months riding her again, her owner approached my husband and I and asked if we would be interested in having her....but we lived in town and had no place to keep her. I had a bottle calf then, and she was kept by our close family friend. When talking about Rhapsody, he immediately wanted to go check her out. He had a horse, and always wanted a riding friend, but no one really had the time. I believe he was excited to finally have someone to travel with him. But we went to the small town, there was the transfer of the title and the bill of sale was signed, etc. We headed home. From that point on, I NEVER missed a whole day seeing her, with the exception of one week when my husband had suffered a heart attack and was in the hospital. Even then, I only missed 3 feedings, and Bob knew about that. There were times that due to a schedule change at work, I would have to put off our visits til primarily evening or morning, but everything still worked out pretty good. I rode her all the time...could out my kids on her and she was amazing!
                                      Then the friend of ours got mixed up with a woman who was very annoyed with the presence of me and my daughters on the farm riding Rhapsody and doing chores. Very often, she would literally follow me around the farm with her hands on her hips staring at me. Once, she even told me to get my 'ugly kids' and leave. I talked to my husband and we started putting the word out that we needed to find some pasture for her to graze on, and could look for a place to keep her over the winter in the meantime. I had worked a night shift on a Saturday night, and got home Sunday morning around 6:30. My husband was going to take the feed I had bought about a week prior, up to the farm for me, but when he arrived, Rhapsody was gone. He came home and woke me, and that is when I started my battle.
                                      It has been over a year since Rhapsody died. IT was confirmed by the auction owner and the kill buyer, that she was taken to the border and shipped to slaughter in Mexico. Since then, though Bob has broken up with his girlfriend and openly admits that what he did was wrong, and I did not owe boarding because we were like family. Boarding was never even discussed among us because I helped out on the farm year round...and for 3 years prior to her arrival that March day in 2010. I worked my butt off on that farm and I provided excellent care to my horse. Any person that knows me, knows that I am a good pet owner and I would have done anything to get her back. What happened was so wrong, illegal, and admitted to be by both the Sheriff and the county attorney, but they sent me a letter stating that though laws were broken, they viewed it as a civil matter. No criminal charges were pressed and though multiple lame apologies have been attempted, I have not forgiven Bob, nor will I ever. What he did ruined my life. The only good out of the entire thing, is that I learned valuable lessons about trust and the justice system. I have not pursued a civil suit though it has been told I have a very good case, there are no lawyers in this area that take on cases for Tort of Outrage, or Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress. I now suffer from PTSD, have seperated from my husband, and live a very terrifying life with my 2 children and 2 therapeutic horses, as I will forever fear for their safety. This story is not at all what some have made it out to be. It is not a matter of a dead beat owner. It is one of heartache and injustice. I thank you for reading this.
                                      Please watch this for more insight. Thank you.
                                      Jaime
                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCtl7vuzRYw
                                      Firstly: "Trust" and $2.25 will get you a ride downtown. You saw this situation going south for what sounds like a longish time--fair warning from the new girlfriend's attitude, etc. and could have gotten the horse out of there, since you say you have others, or had a frank talk with the "caretaker," or even OFFERED TO PAY HIM SOME BOARD. For the life of me I have never understood the naivete' of folks who expect someone else to support their large, expensive "luxury pet" for FREE! That is not real-world. If YOUR name was on the bill of sale, the horse was YOUR responsibility, not his, and he should certainly have given you a fair opportunity to re-negotiate your deal or take the horse elsewhere. If he actually stole it and sold it, that IS legally actionable. But you'll pay a lot more in attorneys' fees than you're likely to recover here.

Second: The Buddha said death and decay are everywhere, but suffering is a choice we make. The choice you're making is to hold yourself a pity party and play the victim card in public--why? There is nothing to be gained!

Please do not throw terms like PTSD around loosely--that is a physiological brain dysfunction caused by the kind of trauma seen in natural disasters and war, where a person is completely overwhelmed beyond the capacity of the body's natural coping mechanism. As in, getting a leg blown off while your head is bouncing off a Humvee. Sorry, but losing an old pet under tawdry circumstances just doesn't cut it for that by the accepted definitions.

This horse is gone. You are continuing to invest vast amounts of mental energy into a downward spiral of negativity. Unless you want to wind up seriously mentally ill, force yourself to close this chapter in your life, file it under "live & learn," and move on with all the positives--your kids, your other animals, your job. Please do it quickly, for all of their sakes since they rely on you.

Best of luck,

Comment

Umm yeah... What Swamp Yankee said.
                                        "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

Working...
                                        X