• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Media bias in NYC carriage controversy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media bias in NYC carriage controversy?

I just read this info on Carriage Horse Facts

The Society of Professional Journalists' Ethics Committee reports on the conflict of interest entanglements of a certain anti-carriage-horse news anchor:

"An anchor at a major network twice reports on a battle to remove horse-drawn carriages from New York City and interviews only sources advocating for removing the horses. Despite evidence that accidents involving horses are few, no one who can defend the system appears on camera. The anchor later appears as the keynote speaker at a fundraiser for the carriage protestors and donates money to the cause. She has yet to reveal her connection to the group."

The journalist isn't named, but I thnk she should be named. I posted this on COTH with the hope that someone posting here saw these "reports" by this particular major network anchor- probably at a NYC station or other station up north - and can furnish a link to the aired reports and/ or the name of the journalist and station.

The only way to stop bias in "news" reporting tis to "call" the journalist and media outlet on it when it happens. I would love to get this information so I can express my outrage at shoddy reportting to the major network who employs this "journalist."

Remember, horse owners make up only about 1% of the total US population. We must unite. We must address an attack on any law abiding horse owners as an attack on us all, even if their "discipline" is different from our own.

Jean Velez-Mitchell. http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...rriage.ban.hln

Jane Velez-Mitchell did a story for HLN on her "Issues" show on Wednesday (7/27) evening about a carriage accident in NYC and the renewed calls by State Senator Tony Avella and the Coalition to Ban Horse-Drawn Carriages to ban the industry. http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...rriage.ban.hln The CBHDC is a 501c4 political activity group.

What JVM did NOT reveal is that she herself is a MAJOR supporter of the CBHDC, and in fact was the keynote address at a fundraiser last October for the group.

http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...756154090.html

Also, note in this Newsletter from the Coalition to Ban Horse Drawn Carriages that CBHDC (and by extension, I guess, JVM) is electioneering for Tony Avella. 501c4's ARE NOT ALLOWED to do that. It's one thing for a 501c4 to support a bill or other piece of legislation - it's another thing to support a CANDIDATE.

Leaving aside the many factual errors and extremely misleading statements / misleading use of video in this segment, this must run afoul of various ethics codes and procedures for handling political groups (501c4s). The segment showing the web address for the CBHDC, www.banhdc.org across the entire screen amounts to free advertising.

Much of the video in the segment is not from the accident in question OR EVEN NEW YORK CITY (there's footage from Philadelphia and goodness knows where eles).

A headline of "CARRIAGE CRUELTY" without even a question mark at the end certainly constitutes libel as cruelty DOES have a LEGAL definition - and no one in the NYC carriage industry has been cited for cruelty. That's not a matter of opinion.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks. I followed the link and left a long complaint about MS. Velez-Mitchell's "piece" being sooo biased on the feedback tab provided there. I suggest that others do the same. You can access the comment window by clicking on the "feedback" tab at the upper right of the video window.

I think the carriage owners' organization needs to keep demanding equal time and also needs to take issue with the headline "Carriage Cruelty" that is displayed across the video as well.

Horse owners need to take issue with and made their opinions known whenever there are "stories" aired that claim "cruelty" when there is none. It is obvious that the anti carriage horse and indeed, the anti-horse forces are not going to go away.

Bottom line: Horse owners are citizens and tax payers, and we need our right to own and use horses protected. We need to speak up when our right to own horses and use horses is challenged. We should not sit back and expect others to do this for us.

Comment

Safety for Carriage Horses: Good for Everyone

I don't understand how protecting the carriage horses in NYC could be detrimental to the rights of private horse owners. As a journalist, I must add that I am under no obligation to report the views of the opposition when those views are off-center, biased, loony, repugnant, unpopular, or otherwise detrimental to the telling of a story, which in this case is about a cab horse in an accident. I do find it sad that news agencies can't find more accurate representations of horses at work, but this is mostly because of a deficit of this kind of information in general. I am very fond of the scenario of horses at work. But not in New York City, where the sanitation for horses is abysmal and the working conditions abusive. I live in Philly, where the carriage horses spend a lot of time lounging around Benjamin Franklin Park. In New York they get awfully, awfully hot waiting in the sun near the Plaza Hotel. It seems to be the view of all enlightened New Yorkers that the carriage horse industry has to be shut down. The reason it hasn't been—yet—might surprise you: there seem to be a number of shady characters who drive the carriages, and they wish to be immune to public scrutiny of any sort.

Comment

Originally posted by seckhoff View Post
          I don't understand how protecting the carriage horses in NYC could be detrimental to the rights of private horse owners. As a journalist, I must add that I am under no obligation to report the views of the opposition when those views are off-center, biased, loony, repugnant, unpopular, or otherwise detrimental to the telling of a story, which in this case is about a cab horse in an accident. I do find it sad that news agencies can't find more accurate representations of horses at work, but this is mostly because of a deficit of this kind of information in general. I am very fond of the scenario of horses at work. But not in New York City, where the sanitation for horses is abysmal and the working conditions abusive. I live in Philly, where the carriage horses spend a lot of time lounging around Benjamin Franklin Park. In New York they get awfully, awfully hot waiting in the sun near the Plaza Hotel. It seems to be the view of all enlightened New Yorkers that the carriage horse industry has to be shut down. The reason it hasn't been—yet—might surprise you: there seem to be a number of shady characters who drive the carriages, and they wish to be immune to public scrutiny of any sort.
          "Journalist", eh?

As a journalist, I am sure you are used to being asked to support your assertions with facts and/or cited sources.

So, where and how exactly is the "sanitation abysmal"?

How are the conditions "abusive"?

Are you stating that the asphalt is somehow cooler in Philly than it is in NYC?

Where is your research supporting your amazing ejaculation that "all enlightened New Yorkers" want the industry "shut down"?

....and please, do tell who these "shady characters" are, because I want to make sure and steer clear of them
          VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by michaleenflynn View Post
            "Journalist", eh?

As a journalist, I am sure you are used to being asked to support your assertions with facts and/or cited sources.

So, where and how exactly is the "sanitation abysmal"?

How are the conditions "abusive"?

Are you stating that the asphalt is somehow cooler in Philly than it is in NYC?

Where is your research supporting your amazing ejaculation that "all enlightened New Yorkers" want the industry "shut down"?

....and please, do tell who these "shady characters" are, because I want to make sure and steer clear of them
            Gee sounds like VP Horse & Carriage Assoc. of NYC is "on the clock" monitoring this BB....

Comment

The reason it hasn't been—yet—might surprise you: there seem to be a number of shady characters who drive the carriages, and they wish to be immune to public scrutiny of any sort.
              And yet, you, as a journalist, that is privy to this potentially SCANDALOUS revelation, hasn't written an investigative journalism piece on it? Amazing. And no other journalists have either? REALLY AMAZING.

Go away troll.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen virtue View Post
                Gee sounds like VP Horse & Carriage Assoc. of NYC is "on the clock" monitoring this BB....
                Gee, sounds like Stolen Virtue is "on the clock" monitoring me! LOL

Comment

Resurrecting a thread over a year old? Wonder which RARA troll this is? Could it be the notorious Marianne, for whom there's no such thing as negative attention?

Comment

Originally posted by stolen virtue View Post
                    Gee looks like your prior obsession with all things MichFlynn is still going strong....
                    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Comment

Originally posted by Lynnwood View Post
                      Gee looks like your prior obsession with all things MichFlynn is still going strong....
                      I must say I am flattered

Comment

Originally posted by lolalola View Post
                        Resurrecting a thread over a year old? Wonder which RARA troll this is? Could it be the notorious Marianne, for whom there's no such thing as negative attention?
                        Very likely. She is quite peeved that her FB page bombed.

Comment

Originally posted by jetsmom View Post
                          And yet, you, as a journalist, that is privy to this potentially SCANDALOUS revelation, hasn't written an investigative journalism piece on it? Amazing. And no other journalists have either? REALLY AMAZING.

Go away troll.
                          Now, now, she might have something there -- after all, when I'm feeling shady and wish to be immune to public scrutiny, the first thing I do is hook up a horse and drive through through the streets of NYC.

Comment

And here I was thinking that journalists weren't supposed to use their job to promote their own off-center, biased, loony, etc. views.

I think a real journalist would have gotten the other side of the story. But then maybe by NYC standards anyone who actually has any firsthand knowledge or experience with horses is considered too "out there" to talk to? Or, more likely, it's more convenient to avoid the truth when it is isn't sensational enough to attract viewers.

Comment

Giving you the benefit of the doubt - for a split second here:
                              Di read the wording of the proposed ban.
                              You know, as journalist, with an eye on the far reaching consequences....
                              then come back and tell me that it is not infringing on personal property rights to be forced by law to give away your belongings without control over who gets it.
                              Or a lwaw stating what exactly it is you can do with your property (in this case exactly nothing...)

but since journalists aren't worth their salt anymore anyhow...

Now, split second over.
                              If you are indeed a journalist, take some writing lessons.

Comment

Someone needs some priceless publicitiy, now don't they? Troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, rinse repeat forever 'n ever....

Oh, and your name is, erm, 'appropriate'.
                                GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

You must work harder at being a troll. Pretty amateurish effort, I say.

Comment

Originally posted by caballero View Post
                                    You must work harder at being a troll. Pretty amateurish effort, I say.
                                    Hear, hear! And this is why the media are increasingly earning their old appellation, "Nattering Nabobs of Negativity."

This is "journalism?" What, the Kardashians having a slow day?

As Bill the Cat would say, "Aaack! Thpppt!"

Comment

Maybe we need a COTH-driven YouTube expose to settle this matter.
                                      Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

Originally posted by LexInVA View Post
                                        Maybe we need a COTH-driven YouTube expose to settle this matter.
                                        I would go, but according to Ms Forel I am make-believe.....

Comment

Working...
                                        X