• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Perfect horse failed PPE :( Just a whine!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect horse failed PPE :( Just a whine!

So after looking at some total crappo horses for my mom, I found the PERFECT one, only to have him fail the PPE miserably! As in positive on all flexions and he's only 4, so we didn't even do xrays. Vet said there was no point in xraying as he should have not been that reactive at his age.

I'm just bummed and feeling like I won't find another one I like as much So I just needed to whine a little! I never thought finding a glorified trail horse would be so hard! I'm the pickiest horse person I know, so to find one that I really love is tough! Anyone found a better one after "the one" failed the PPE?

sorry about that

I took a day off and drove several hourse to another state with my husband money in hand and he had the funkiest moving hocks either of us had ever seen, asked seller if he always did that and she said "did what" we left and didn't even do a prepurchase as he was 2

Comment

• Original Poster

That's the tough thing, too, I am very limited on time and have decided to not to travel over about an hour away since I've wasted sooo much time on ones that were NOT what they said they were!

Comment

Oh, no. Was that the QH you posted in the hunting forum about? I thought that horse was older, for some reason.

Anyway, I'm sorry about the PPE, but it may be for the best. A four year old for Mom?
        I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

• Original Poster

He was seriously one of the most broke/quiet horses I've sat on, I couldn't believe he was only 4 when I tried him! Already have one one "oldie" on the farm, so was looking in the 8-15 range, but looked at this one based on the video they sent.

Comment

Me!! Last year I was looking for a new horse - wanted something to go out on trails around the barn and do some very low level hunter shows. Found an appy that I really liked. I'm a pretty timid rider, and get anxious at the canter, but I was able to canter him without any problem at all! Got him vetted, and turned out he had bad feet. We'd been through that with my daughter's OTTB, and I wasn't going to intentionally buy a horse with bad feet! Kept looking, and found my boy a couple of months later. I really liked him, even though I wasn't able to canter him at all...but he just seemed to have such a good attitude! A year later, and I am so glad at how things turned out. It probably wasn't as smooth a start as the appy would have been, but I think I'm much happier with him than I would have been with the appy. We did our first show last month, and ended up with reserve champion! So keep looking, there will be more great ones out there!

ETA - I just sent you a PM.
            Last edited by nevertoolate; Sep. 30, 2011, 08:41 PM. Reason: Sent you a PM

Comment

Wow! At 4 positive on all flexions...

You *might* want to get a second opinion. Flexions are funny, but a lot of vets will NEVER pass a horse on the PPE, they get $ every time you get a PPE, but if you buy the horse they don't profit. You may not want to spend the extra cash (I understand) or this may be a trusted vet, I just wanted to throw that out there. If you don't know this vet really well I'd definitely get a second opinion.

Remember! There are always plenty of horses! Good luck!
              "The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die!"
              ----> Pre

Comment

I had a mare that was positive on any foot you'd want to flex. Nothing wrong with her anywhere - just a weenie cry baby. You might want to take a picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Brooke View Post
                  I had a mare that was positive on any foot you'd want to flex. Nothing wrong with her anywhere - just a weenie cry baby. You might want to take a picture.
                  Seconded. There are plenty of horses that fail the flex test.
                  "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

Young horses especially can fail a flexion test and then pass one with flying colors six months later, then fail again six months after that. My understanding is that it's due to growth spurts/uneven muscling as they grow. Since you love the horse otherwise might be worth a second opinion and/or some x-rays.

Comment

• Original Poster

It was my very trusted vet who is who I go to for anything lameness related, so I 100% trust her judgement. Said horse is built like a QH halter horse (although he isn't one, showed on the WP circuit) big body and smallish legs and feet, so I had my doubts going into it, but after having him on trial for a week was already in love with him! Hacked out alone, trail rode great, lead or followed, stood like a statue in the xties, loaded with a simple kiss, just had perfect manners! He was footsore (barefoot) and had cruddy looking feet from a STB farrier who'd been trimming him.

I'm keeping in touch with the folks who own him and they are having their vet come out soon, so interested to hear what the xrays show if they do them. I just passed on them as it would have been really expensive and the vet thought flexions should have been better on such a young guy. Really bummed as he was pretty push button and so so easy to have around.

Comment

For what its worth, when selling a three year old, it failed flexions on all four; sold it to someone else with disclosure that she failed flexions on all four--they rode the horse, showed the horse, trail rode the horse, etc. You name it. The horse is now about twenty years old, and has never taken a lame step. I tend to question the validity of flexions when all four look bad.

Comment

I don't like flexion tests as a predictive tool (like they are used in PPE). They can be so misleading and are NOT predictive at all.

They are only useful as a diagnostic tool when you have a lameness issue. They can help isolate the problem.

But they are NOT predictive.
                          Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Comment

• Original Poster

So my question then is, if a horse is footsore in the front, fails a front fetlock flexion, and then flexes positive on both rear stifles, hocks, and fetlocks, what would you do? Xraying all that isn't an option (way too much money for me) and the horse is priced at $5K (has a show record, been in pro training most of his short life). Also the trainer he was with is known to lunge a ton, and start them young which was a concern. Also horse has conformation faults, large body, small feet with contracted heels and has been barefoot for over 6 months (so per vet the feet have poor conformation as well as that should have resolved itself in the long time he's been barefoot). The vet wasn't totally opposed to me buying him, but also pretty much said it isn't if he goes lame it's when. :-( and suggested that I, "maybe offer to trade some hay for him or something" as in not worth anywhere near asking price!

I guess I'm surprised that some folks are saying all that isn't that big of a deal in such a young horse. I certainly don't want a lame 8 year old!

Comment

You hadn't mentioned the 'halter horse' build, the extensive lunging, the bad feet, the show record and the sore hocks and stifles before. I had assumed you meant the ankles flexed poorly. I'd be more concerned with all the rest than with ankle flexions alone.

Comment

Originally posted by War Admiral View Post
                                Seconded. There are plenty of horses that fail the flex test.
                                I agree. Rue never flexes sound, but he is. He just objects to having his legs held like that.
                                Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

• Original Poster

Hocks and stifles were included in the positive on all flexions comment. He flexed positive on front fetlock, and all hind flexions (stifle, hock, fetlock) just to be clear. Show record is short, but just included that so people don't think I am nuts for wanting to pay $5K for a trail horse! Seems like everyone raises their eyebrows at that, but trust me I have looked at cheaper ones, and I want something that steers, knows the aids, and is broke, not a $500 follow the leader type horse

Comment

Spending 10% of $5000 on xrays would probably be worth it to me. That's a big investment. Maybe I don't know how much xrays cost, but I would think $500 would buy you something?

However, given the circumstances here, sounds like it was best to pass.

Too bad. Even trading for hay isn't worth the time and expense trying to get a horse you like sound enough for light riding when he goes navicular on you.

Comment

• Original Poster

I agree, Kwill, I think it's best, but it breaks my heart!

Just to get front feet xrays would be $360 and that doesn't include the farm call, so it's pretty pricey!

Comment

Originally posted by Brooke View Post
                                        You hadn't mentioned the 'halter horse' build, the extensive lunging, the bad feet, the show record and the sore hocks and stifles before. I had assumed you meant the ankles flexed poorly. I'd be more concerned with all the rest than with ankle flexions alone.
                                        Yeah, with this information, I wouldn't have bought him, either. Sounds like there may be lots going on with this horse - none of it good.
                                        Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Comment

Working...
                                        X