• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sketchy "rescues" soliciting on COTH - AC4H

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sketchy "rescues" soliciting on COTH - AC4H

So, the mods decided to move the fundraising request for AC4H to events. Now, no more responses can be posted.

I think it's high time that COTH take a good, hard look at their requirements for soliciting funds on this forum.

Personally, I don't think just having a 501(c)3 designation is enough. Anyone else ? It's time to make our voices heard.

Originally posted by LauraKY View Post

Personally, I don't think just having a 501(c)3 designation is enough. Anyone else ? It's time to make our voices heard.
    So what do you suggest? Voting people off the island? I'm not sure what other specific and provable qualifications are available.

BTW as leeches/mooches/free loaders, we are not entitled to any voice. Sorry.

Edit: On a more serious note, while I don't think anyone needs to be kicked out, I do think people in general need to be encourage to take a closer look at just exactly who they are giving their money to. Although that goes for all aspects of daily life, and who am I to stop people taking money from idiots?

Comment

• Original Poster

Kicked off...maybe not. At one point, a separate forum was suggested for fund raising and soliciting. I still think it's a good idea.

My biggest problem is the posting on the Events Forum, with no posting allowed. Yes, there's a sucker born every minute, but should COTH help by enabling the frauds?

Comment

Do we have to go through this every time AC4H shows up?

From my understanding the only time the rescue arm came under fire was when a PITA buyer met PITA operator. I suppose both got their money's worth out of the public mooning incident.

The mods move the thread, as it is in their discretion to do so.

Personally I don't have the energy to devote to a personal vendetta to an operation 10 states over. I have enough causes near by that need me in shining armor....
        Last edited by Alagirl; Sep. 3, 2011, 06:56 PM. Reason: shpellin...as always
        Originally posted by BigMama1
        Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
        GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
          Do we have to go through this every time AC4H shows up?
          Absolutely, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by sketcher View Post
            Absolutely, yes.

I hope you are employing the body's natural defense against stupid: Sarcasm!

Originally posted by BigMama1
            Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
            GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

No, I'm dead serious. After having the pleasure to deal with Christy Shady and seeing what she is really all about I feel it is my duty to expose her at every turn available to me. I didn't have a dog in this fight until experiencing direct harassment by Christy as payback for her friend Beth (of NEER and another one I would like to expose at any opportunity).

You can call it a personal vendetta. I call it an opportunity to warn and educate others who have not yet had the 'pleasure' of being subjected to AC4H's greed and unethical behavior.

Comment

I think that it is wise for people to look into which charities and other 501c3 orgs they donate to. I however stand behind my opinion that most "rescues" even the 501c3s are hoarders and it really irks me how they beg for money but still bad mouth owners who can't afford to take care of their horses. The truth is that most rescues aren't much better than the people they rescued the horses from. Even if a rescue has its 501c3, that doesn't mean that they are better than those that don't. I do realize that there are some very legitimately rescues that are operated well but there is an overwhelming majority that aren't and I don't want to see them turn COTH into a beggars paradise.

Comment

You go sketcher. I was snookered by $am and her sham group CBER years ago, so I thought I smelled a rat when I tried to "deal" with Chri$ty to get a pony sized draft off the dealer's lot. The availability and price just kept changing and changing and changing.

Then I was told that horse had already been bought and "rescued" by someone else- She then tried to pawn off a smuch smaller pony with "trust issues" off on me.

A year later, I saw the draft pony I had wanted to help originally listed on the AC4H website as one of their own rescues at the farm - now available for more than twice the original price from the broker's lot. Remember, I had been told she had been bought by "someone else" and had a new forever home.

Gimme a break. IMHO she is working hand-in-glove with the KBs to bilk gullible and uneducated people of their money by playing on their emotions- just like old $am of CBER fame.

Educate to you heart's content. Maybe eventually people will see through AC4H and friends, too.

Comment

Laura, What is it that you have against rescues? I'm asking you a genuine question. I've noticed that in the past few days you have started two threads now about suspect rescues and you questioned the actions of a third. Did you get burned by a rescue in the past? I'm honestly curious.

I don't often read the rescue threads. I don't have money to donate, I often think the horses should be put down rather than have heroic measures taken and so I save the heartache of even looking. I am no fan of AC4H since I live close enough to know exactly what they are up to. Just as it is my choice not to read it is someone else's choice to read and respond.

Some people on this board have spare cash to donate to rescues, some have even had good luck with AC4H and it is their time and money to spend. So why waste the energy getting angry. Why not just ignore those threads?

Comment

I have dealt with her personally at AC4H and I give her a lot of credit. Imagine going EVERY week to try to get horses in homes so that their next stop isn't at a meat factory. I don't know how she does it because she clearly can't save them all. You know she does check your application and maybe she was not liking the answers she got back on your application and hence the horse wasn't available. Also, she might have placed it and it got turned back. That happens. Any who I got two little poopers off her who I just took for a nice hand walk and grass. That's all they do! Thank you Christy!!

Comment

Originally posted by FreshAir View Post
                        I have dealt with her personally at AC4H and I give her a lot of credit. Imagine going EVERY week to try to get horses in homes so that their next stop isn't at a meat factory. I don't know how she does it because she clearly can't save them all. You know she does check your application and maybe she was not liking the answers she got back on your application and hence the horse wasn't available. Also, she might have placed it and it got turned back. That happens. Any who I got two little poopers off her who I just took for a nice hand walk and grass. That's all they do! Thank you Christy!!
                        If this remark was directed at me because I related my experience with AC4H ----Well then- She should have been honest and just said that she didn't like my answers. Why lie?

And apparently she liked my answers well enough to try to pawn off another horse on me- her actions reminded me of the bait and switch tactic used car salesmen use.

And believe me there are reasons this woman and her friends go to the auctions week after week and "do this." These reasons all have the portraits of dead presidents on them, and I never cease to be amazed at what SOME people will do to get their hands on more and more of such "reasons."

Comment

• Original Poster

LCW579, burned personally, no. A very dear friend of mine discovered the disaster that was Nancy Mackall's Polo Pony Retirement Foundation. Read the thread: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=219440
                          This was my introduction to COTH.

Twenty dead horses, ten starving horses, a starving dog (Afghan) in the house locked in a cat crate, so matted that she was unable to walk with double ear infections. She still has ongoing ear problems. My friend called AC, another horse died overnight. One horse was so weak she had to be lifted into a trailer, she was unable to walk on by herself. They had no water, no grass, no feed. I had talked to Mackall a year or two previously...it sounded like she was providing a needed service. But something just didn't add up and I didn't act on it. I let it go. After I found what had happened, I decided never to just let it go again. So, if I have questions, I ask until I get reliable answers. My friend still has nightmares and has to deal with awful guilt that she didn't discover it sooner.

And by the way, there are reputable rescues. I support a cat and dog rescue in Kentucky (just adopted a barn kitty), a collie rescue (my new collie) and New Vocations.

Why allow the questionable ones to prosper by allowing them to solicit fund in the easy way...on COTH with sorry sob stories. Unfortunately, there are too many good hearted peopled who will donate to them, falling for the sob story (which may or may not be true). We should be rooting out the sham rescues. They give all rescues a bad name.

Just my 2 cents, for whatever that's worth in today's economy.
                          Last edited by LauraKY; Sep. 4, 2011, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Laura, thanks for your answer. I remember that thread. And I just spent some time looking back over it. A truly horrific situation. I can see where being closely involved with that case would turn you into a permanent skeptic.

Comment

Laura, I quite agree! Christy was very accessible when I made donations. But in my recent attempts to contact her and everyone else who was listed as a contact, along with my friend who sincerely wanted a horse that was listed as available, there was absolutely no response. The horse business certainly has it's share (or more) of shysters and likewise unsavory and dishonest people, so when I find out there are trust issues, that's it for me. It is a shame of course for the horses, who are the ultimate victims on so many levels. I think it is very important to flush out those rescues who are not trustworthy and separate them from the ones who are honest so those doing a good job are supported. It's becoming more easy to winnow out the suspects with the internet and the improved methods of communication. Maybe it would be helpful to post when we have good experiences so those who are truly above-board can be recognized. I'm all about helping the animals! I wonder if those who are dishonest could be reported to the tax-shelters for close scrutiny?
                              PennyG

Comment

I'd rather they get rid of solicitation all together. There are plenty of other places where they can communicate more efficiently to those who are interested.
                                Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

Ac4h is not a horse rescue. It's a horse trader's sales office that uses a 501c3 tax classification to be tax-exempt.

Does it save horses' lives to buy from ac4h? I'll dare to say no. Brian Moore will continue to fill slaughter contracts no matter how many horses he can get Christy to re-sell for him. He will NOT ship trucks half-full to slaughter. Ac4h has outright said Moore will not stop accepting contracts to ship to slaughter, no matter how many horses he can sell to individuals. Net number of horses saved from slaughter = zero.

Buying from him to "save" a horse is about as constructive as going to the mall petshop and buying a $1,000 puppy-mill puppy to "save" puppies.

If you want to save a horse's life, go direct to the livestock auction. You'll pay about half the price -- and you can see the horse you're buying before you commit to buying. Or adopt from a rescue program, so they can take the next horse in. If you want to support an organization, donate to one that actually touches the horses they're selling (such as knowing the horse is healthy, giving them a few vaccinations, or paying for a single farrier visit).
                                  Veterinarians for Equine Welfare

Comment

Non-profit status can be much more than a tax shelter. The charitable organization status allows donations to be used for salaries. So more than saving on taxes, it can generate income for family and friends. If not carefully audited, who knows what donated money is ever spent on actual charitable work that benefits something beyond the pocketbooks of the organizers.

Guidestar provides ratings and information. However, nothing beats personal experience and contacts. The IRS does not have the resources to adequately audit so many small non-profits cropping up like mushrooms.

It is so frustrating that people are making money on the backs of horses in great need. Sharing experiences on the internet can go a long way to shining light on both the very deserving and above board charities and those that are just shady front organizations.

Buyer beware!

Comment

The reason this should be brought up is that there is a never ending supply of horses, and she is not a "rescuer" who goes to "killer" auctions and "saves" horses. Our tax dollars are supporting her bait and switch operations. If this were not the Obama and Bush legacy of allowing crooks to operate then what is it? Anything that anyone can do to stop this saves us money (as US citizens) and many people heartache. Because she does a few good deeds does not mean much measured against the enormous bad that has and will be done. Plus, I don't want my government to be supporting such s$!t anymore! If she wants to register as a dealer, have at it. That is what she is and no the COTH should not be allowing this to be publicized.

I would not like to see the baby thrown out with the bathwater however. No, I don't want solicitations to be stopped. I like that people get together and can do something good in this community. We just don't have to let sleezy operators do their magic any more than we should let sleezy speculators get a dime more of bailout money while the rest of the country is thrown to the wolves.
                                      "We, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit." JFK

Comment

Wow.
                                        So a bunch of you would much rather doom a horse to slaughter than, god forbid, some person make money off their sale.

Really, really sad!

The horses do NOT thank you!

Buyer should always beware. And if someone "loses" money saving a horse from slaughter, that is their own problem.

I'm sorry, I only care about the horses and whether or not they are saved from the horrible fate of slaughter. I really don't care if someone "loses" money trying to save them.

I only care if they have been saved. And if she could talk, I am sure my formally "broker owned" horse would be quite glad I stepped in and gave her a home when I did.

Comment

Working...
                                        X