• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Breed blindness or bias

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love everything about TB mares: their intelligence, their hotness, etc.

I love arabs but have never owned one.

I solved the problem of breed bias by buying a warmblood. Since warmbloods are not purebreds, I got a wb who is 1/2 tb and part arab. This way, I got some features of both the 2 breeds that i love. And his tb blood is straight out of KY via Germany.

I will get another hot hot hot ottb mare. I've had 3 of them over my lifetime, and I still think they are the best horses. (Although I have to admit my German boy is a better jumper and has the dressage gaits.)o

Another old thread bumped up. Who does this?

Comment

Originally posted by cloudyandcallie View Post

Another old thread bumped up. Who does this?
      A greater question that I wonder about is how can a board have over a thousand people logged on at any given time and there can be little to no activity on the board?

Comment

Originally posted by clanter View Post
        A greater question that I wonder about is how can a board have over a thousand people logged on at any given time and there can be little to no activity on the board?
        I would guess, that is because so many people may be reading, learning, pondering what is being said and not contributing with their own posts.

Comment

Originally posted by JackandMo View Post
          I'm incredibly breed biased. My breed of choice is the Saddlebred. They are, to me, the most elegant, personable, forgiving, intelligent, and willing breed.
          There is not a single negative thing about their characteristics I can say; I can not say the same about some of the training methods, of course.

I do own a QH and a Shetland cross, along with my ASB. I love them for personal reasons, but did not go out and seek them. When they pass, I won't own another breed.

Since I was four years old, I have never had the desire to even look at another breed. I've often been the only ASB owner in a barn full of TBs and QHs, and I like it that way!!
          That is why we breed all kinds of horses, of all breeds and mixes of them, to suit all kinds of needs and wants.

Comment

I have never come across a breed of horse that I couldn't appreciate for it's particular talents. Individual horses, yes. One or two, that I can't say I would have wanted to spend a lot of time with.

I love the intelligence and heart of the TB
            The loyality of the Arab.
            The steadiness and patience of the QH
            The look of Baroque horses
            The "usingness" of the Appy and Morgan
            The power of the Draft
            The movement of the Warmblood
            The kindness of the TWH and Saddlebred
            Groom to trainer: "Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!"

Comment

Originally posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
              Right, and I understand liking the predictability of certain things, but for open shows, if the horse is a proven performer or has shown the potential to be, does it really matter? Yet some people will refuse to even LOOK at a grade horse, regardless of performance record or other attributes, and a grade will often sell for less money, regardless of its actual record. To me, that's every bit as breed biased as someone who says "I hate those crazy Arabs," or "I love Friesans!"

And while I agree it's nice to know a horse's exact age, as long as he's sound for his job, to me, that's more important than the number on the paper. I've known horses in their 20's to be sound at various levels of competition and horses under 10 to already be on-and-off lame. Conformation has a lot to do with that, and well, papers don't guarantee good conformation, and some grade horses are put together beautifully for their intended use. Dismissing an otherwise suitable horse offhand simply because it doesn't have papers seems silly to me, and so does creating a bunch of "registries" for what are truly grade horses. After all, they can't read.
              While the horses cannot read, there is a reason that the most successful breeds in the world keep records. The Europeans got to the top of the sport horse breeding world by virtue of their decision making (selecting 'best' horses) and record keeping. Only by keeping records can you figure out whether the decisions made are productive over long periods of time.

I love a good mutt. But in the long term they are a dead end. And the sun will still rise tomorrow. So the smart folks will think about the future and plan for it. Not just sit around thinking to themselves, "well it's good enough for today so why do we have to care about tomorrow?"

Some of the warmbloods are 'mutts.' They are 'types' NOT breeds. The dutch mix in a little of this and a little of that as time goes by. They are not a 'breed' like an Arabian or a TB. So I think you can have the best of both worlds. But record keeping is the key to success.
              "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

I prefer the half- arab for dressage. (I own a mostly polish arab x paint). Why? they are a horse I can ride, my horse is very tractable. Smart, forward. I just had to be careful to find one that was not overly spooky. My horse is doing very well in dressage. Can most arabs do dressage well? sadly, no, after being around and owning them. Its probably 1/100 that has the mind and body for dressage.

I don't like warmbloods personally, nor TBS, nor morgans. Just my opinion after riding many breeds.

I don't fit very well on 17h horses, esp those you have to push to keep going.

I was not going to buy a horse without some amt of arab for my second horse. Its a matter of knowing what horse you get along with best and the horse that will suit your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by SendenHorse View Post
                  I prefer the half- arab for dressage. (I own a mostly polish arab x paint). Why? they are a horse I can ride, my horse is very tractable. Smart, forward. I just had to be careful to find one that was not overly spooky. My horse is doing very well in dressage. Can most arabs do dressage well? sadly, no, after being around and owning them. Its probably 1/100 that has the mind and body for dressage.

I don't like warmbloods personally, nor TBS, nor morgans. Just my opinion after riding many breeds.

I don't fit very well on 17h horses, esp those you have to push to keep going.

I was not going to buy a horse without some amt of arab for my second horse. Its a matter of knowing what horse you get along with best and the horse that will suit your goals.
                  And our goals may change over time and so will the kind of horse that best suits them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                    And our goals may change over time and so will the kind of horse that best suits them.

you could just get a Morgan, then all you need to do is get new tack

Comment

Paints have been "my" breed for 25 years. I've tried to branch out but it never worked out. I want to see spots when I look out my kitchen window. I've long attributed it to my first love affair with Little Joe on Bonanza, loping across the meadow on a black and white horse. I was little, but it left a big impression I guess.

Comment

My best horse was my appendix gelding (still with us, now retired and pushing 30!). He was THE BEST all arounder and I learned pretty much everything I know now riding him. For that reason he will always hold the title of Best. Horse. EVAH

That said, now I prefer a well bred, modern type European-type warmblood. I don't mean they must be imported, but I typically exclude registries like AWS because the overall quality is not the same in my experiences and it hasn't been worth sorting through them on sales sites to find the good ones. European-type warmbloods are the best suited for what I want to do and being purpose bred, there are more out there that offer the chance of achieving my riding goals. Of course there are good and bad within any breed/registry and I don't discount individuals. In the end it is performance that I'm concerned with and if I came across something other than a warmblood with the right stuff I wouldn't hesitate to pursue that horse... But if I'm looking at sales horses for an FEI prospect for example, I want to maximize my chances of finding the right horse. I'm not going to spend hours sorting through QHs and Paints trying to find the needle in the haystack. My time is much better spent looking at purpose bred horses.

I do have a bit of a breed bias... I really just don't like Arabs. I can't see myself ever buying one. My first pony was an Arab and we had a very love hate relationship so perhaps that's why. I've been shown to be wrong on that as well though. One of my barnmates wanted a German Riding Pony very bad but ended up with an Arab gelding. He's just fantastic, nice little mover and a great temperament.

Comment

Originally posted by RedmondDressage View Post
                          My best horse was my appendix gelding (still with us, now retired and pushing 30!). He was THE BEST all arounder and I learned pretty much everything I know now riding him. For that reason he will always hold the title of Best. Horse. EVAH

That said, now I prefer a well bred, modern type European-type warmblood. I don't mean they must be imported, but I typically exclude registries like AWS because the overall quality is not the same in my experiences and it hasn't been worth sorting through them on sales sites to find the good ones. European-type warmbloods are the best suited for what I want to do and being purpose bred, there are more out there that offer the chance of achieving my riding goals. Of course there are good and bad within any breed/registry and I don't discount individuals. In the end it is performance that I'm concerned with and if I came across something other than a warmblood with the right stuff I wouldn't hesitate to pursue that horse... But if I'm looking at sales horses for an FEI prospect for example, I want to maximize my chances of finding the right horse. I'm not going to spend hours sorting through QHs and Paints trying to find the needle in the haystack. My time is much better spent looking at purpose bred horses.

I do have a bit of a breed bias... I really just don't like Arabs. I can't see myself ever buying one. My first pony was an Arab and we had a very love hate relationship so perhaps that's why. I've been shown to be wrong on that as well though. One of my barnmates wanted a German Riding Pony very bad but ended up with an Arab gelding. He's just fantastic, nice little mover and a great temperament.
                          Definitively, if you want to be competitive in, say, GP jumping, don't get a mini, or in cutting, don't get a WB.
                          That makes sense.

Comment

I don't like huge horses, I don't like overly wide bodied horses, I like 'em about 15 hands and handy. I would rather apply brakes than have to pedal constantly. I want a horse that wants to try and is a real thinker. Prefer geldings all day long and one of these days I'll own a blood bay.

I don't like hothouse flowers that have to have everything just right before maybe we can attempt ( ). I just want a horse with try and decent feet

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                              That is very true. My sister is a perfect example.

When we were both young and nimble (!) Sis and I had a Selle Français (WB) mare. Sis rode her on the trails and competed in TREC, and I did the jumpers.

Sis then rode this mare's son, SF as well. But then she started having knee and back problems, and bought an Icelandic for trail riding and treks. Smooth and fun little horse. When the little Icey passed, she resumed riding her SF gelding, but his gaits were still too jarring on her bad knee and back, so she bought a Percheron/Arab mare with very smooth gaits.

That mare seems to be the ticket for my sister, although she (the mare) doesn't do well in hot climates, as we saw this summer on a 1 week trek. The 17 yo SF gelding, whom I basically pulled out of his pasture to bring on the trek, did much better than both the younger, more conditioned 1/2 draft horses as far as stamina, recovery, etc.
                              Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Comment

Well I could pretty much have written Kataraine's post above...with a small change or two.

I like short cobby built horses, if given a choice I don't choose narrow or dainty-built horses. But...like Kat said...I don't like them overly wide. I'm narrow hipped and *really* wide or flat backs torque my hips over time.

I also tend to prefer mares, at least under tack. But I'm getting more used to geldings and they kinda crack me up and, IME, are a little less diva on the ground.

But short, hot and handy...grabby hands! And it's gotta be SMART. Even a smart-ass or evil genius. (actually like the smart-ass ones better, LOL)

My breed of choice that I've owned and prefer...Appaloosa. I don't *think* I'm breed blind...but I could be. I think way too many people rate/rank their horses or each breed of horse against the elite of that breed or their chosen discipline, etc. I see it on here ALL the time. People poo-pooing horses because it won't ever get to Olympic levels. I rarely have the heart to tell them, "Well, chances are neither will you." And not as an insult...but I think we'd all be more content if we expected out of our horses the same level that we're also capable of achieving. Don't pass up a great horse because it won't be able to jump 4'6" when the rider never will either. I see it most in dressage..."well it'll never be able to perform a correct ______ "(insert 3rd-4th level move here).

So while it's unexpected for an App to be a GP horse easily...it's also unexpected that *I* will get there also. But if I want to do pretty much almost ANY discipline to the best of MY ability, still be quite competitive and have a freaking blast trying almost anything and hanging out with a slightly funky looking but personality-rich equine buddy? Gimme the app, spots or not.

I always assumed a lot of people do what I tend to do...log on, look at a thread or two and then wander off and do something else while still logged on. I do the same when I check FB, walk away and come back later and see a few IM type messages there of people wondering why I;m ignoring them, LOL!
                                You jump in the saddle,
                                Hold onto the bridle!
                                Jump in the line!
                                ...Belefonte

Comment

[QUOTE=Isabeau Z Solace;6777941]While the horses cannot read, there is a reason that the most successful breeds in the world keep records. The Europeans got to the top of the sport horse breeding world by virtue of their decision making (selecting 'best' horses) and record keeping. Only by keeping records can you figure out whether the decisions made are productive over long periods of time.

Exactly why the europeans have bred the best to the best for a long time. So warmbloods can do it all, well in the ring not on the track. In registries, not in "breeds." WBs are crossbred to get the best performance horses for jumping and dressage by the europeans. Who study breeding and performance records before they breed. Plus, if europeans don't breed good horses, the registries can reject them.

American still breeds a lot of good horses, such as thoroughbreds and QHs and TWHs and ASBs, etc. Americans just need to learn to breed WBs as the europeans have done for years and years.

To most little girls in America, any horse is a great horse. So it's kind of useless to argue breed bias to anyone who is a kid and in love with horses.

Comment

I love a forward sensitive ride. I want a horse interested in the world and me. I want a horse with the confidence to come out on cross country or stadium day, survey the world and go "oh yeah, baby. I'm ready". I want a horse that gallops across the ground with such ease that you feel like you're gliding . I want a horse bubbling with glee on our interval training days - just happy to be out and about and moving free. I want my horse to finish cross country with ease and looking for more. And I want my horse to be a breath-taking beauty when fit and ready.

I found that type of horse in the TB. I love the TB simply for the way they are.

I find other breeds cool and all that but they simply just don't float my boat like a TB. Although a TB looking WB or irish horse would do but I couldn't afford them!

Comment

My breeds of choice are Arabian and Morgan, and I have one of each. My next horse will likely be an Arabian. My Morgan is a hot little red mare, and my (half) Arab is a much more relaxed ride. I have loved these two breeds since I was a kid. I boarded my Morgan gelding at an Arabian barn back in the 80's. I loved my Morgan and dreamed of owning an Arabian.

Who knows if I had boarded at a different breed barn if I would have fallen for that breed rather than Arabians?

I think that part of the reason we prefer one breed over another is the same reason we have a favorite flavor, or color, or musical style. It's just the way we are wired.

Comment

I like sofas. I like broad, boomy, meaty horses that have a bit of go. I love big necks -I swoon over big necks. A barn mate has a halfie cob mix (I think it's cob) who is just to die for. I don't care for much height but I want width.

Paula
                                        He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

Originally posted by paulaedwina View Post
                                          I like sofas. I like broad, boomy, meaty horses that have a bit of go. I love big necks -I swoon over big necks. A barn mate has a halfie cob mix (I think it's cob) who is just to die for. I don't care for much height but I want width.

Paula
                                          I always put gloves, curry, etc on my mare's back when I am working. People laugh & I say that I require a horse with a back that can be used as a table/storage shelf. The horse I grew up with was referred to as a Mack Truck. My current mare fits the same description.

I hate narrow chests. Hate loooong backs. HATE triangle butts. I don't like the narrow/snakey look.

Comment

Working...
                                          X