• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

A New Way to Start Horses Under Saddle - Use a Dummy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Way to Start Horses Under Saddle - Use a Dummy!

Interesting.

http://youtu.be/X8WyOXhJ3uk

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/309300.html

A product that allows you to start a young horse without venturing on to its back has been launched in Ireland.

The Ardall is designed to resemble a human torso and is placed on the back of an untrained horse — or one that hasn't been ridden in a while — to accustom the animal to the sensation of being ridden.

Showjumper and trainer Paul Murphy of Co Kerry, launched the Ardall at the Dublin Horse Show (3-7 August).

Paul, who starts around 30-40 horses a year, told H&H: "Breaking is a main part of our business. I originally created it to make our lives here easier, but decided to market it.

"I've had a few near misses with young horses — it's dangerous — and as a showjumper I couldn't afford to be injured.

"This [the Ardall] gets horses accustomed to a rider, without the risk of someone falling off."

The dummy, which weighs 35-40kg, fits all standard saddles and can be used during long-reining and lungeing.

Paul said it speeds up the backing process, but the aim was safety.

"It stays on — the first rule of breaking a horse is not to come off it, as if you come off today, he'll try again tomorrow. And if you come off again tomorrow — then you're in trouble," he added. "It doesn't matter how good a rider you are — horses can still be unpredictable."

The Ardall costs €669. For more information, visit: http://www.ardall.com
    Last edited by Mike Matson; Aug. 30, 2011, 09:38 AM.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

We had a guy who made a really ghetto version of one of those to break horses with... Somehow it ended up by the fence of my gelding's paddock who grabbed the thing, pulled it into his paddock and proceeded to throw it in the air as if he was killing it...

Kinda makes you wonder what he really thinks!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

Comment

• Original Poster

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Comment

Monty Roberts uses "Heidi" in his breaking process, before he has Dan Wilson get on the horse. And Monty Roberts "Heidi" has legs and arms, too.

As for me, I start my young horses slowly, I ground drive them, as well as pony them alot. By ponying them, they get used to things above them. and I don't rush the process.
        It is when things are hurried or rushed that gets the young horse mentally scared and quite possibly mentally scarred for a very long time.

Comment

I can see the bumper stickers now...

"My Ardall is smarter than your Parelli Savvy Club Member!"
          Alis volat propriis.

Comment

Wow.....wonder how much it costs.....

I just backed my 3 yr old competently assisted by ol' faithful, Mr. Effigy. We started the process by stuffing hay and sandbags into an old pair of coveralls, tied shut the legs and arms, tied Mr. Effigy to the saddle and voila, off we went. Mr. Effigy rode horsey for a while and we did not have any rodeo events. Total cost was some baling twine (used) probably less than $1 of old straw and a couple of pool noodles to give Mr. Effigy some backbone.

Mr. Effigy did not wear a hoodie......he was the headless horseman.
            Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
            Alfred A. Montapert

Comment

We had a Mr. Effigy too until a slightly famous reining stallion figured out it was made of straw and ate him. It was going well until a rather interesting series of bucks and squeals that released some hay. Hay proceeded to sprinkle down like treats from heaven and it quickly went downhill from there. Unfortunately both dad and I were laughing so hard we were useless to stop the 'carnage'.

Just cause I know how COTH works said stallion had a wicked sense of humor and was having far too much fun raining hay down on himself to really do much training that day. He still earns a paycheck, packs the grandbabies where ever they(he) wants.
              Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
              Originally Posted by alicen:
              What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Comment

We make something we call "Bilbo BAggins" out of old feed sacks stuffed with hay and tied together with baling twine. It has legs, a torso and "arms" and we use it on colts that seem particularly worried about something above their head, it works great!

Here is "bilbo" in action (minus his arms here!)

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/27830...81493090gYfOjR

This colt is VERY sensible but worried when something was above his head.

Here he is riding about a week or so later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMWyD...eature=related

He is now walk/trot/canter and riding out on trails, thru ditches, water, etc and is VERY quiet and sensible!!
                www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

I think I can continue to find 18ish rodeo cowboys that are willing to hop on anything for less than what that dummy would cost me.

Comment

Did I read that right? 669 EUROS??

Truly: just spend a few weeks tying all kinds of noisy floppy scary cr*p on your saddle or surcingle. (Not all at once, silly! Introduce them one at a time.) I think Quattro was *dying* to have a nice quiet civilized HUMAN on his back by the time I got done w/ him.
                    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

I don't know...I would have to think that dummy flopping and flailing around is probably making the horse act worse! That is hilarious!

Comment

Well when we did it with the three year old in the post above, here is why we did. He was progressing very nicely and was fine with someone laying acorss his back, but the first time some one sat up on him and we led him he got very worried. So we decided to use the "dummy". By the time we got back on him (about a week) he was FINE with someone sitting up on him. So better than having someone potentially get in trouble and further scaring him when he was already worried. Not something w do with every horse, but honestly I think it was super as he is not at all worried now about strange noises and movements. Of course once we started riding him we would flap our arms etc and insure that sort of thing didn't bother him. Desensitization is a great thing for these young horses!
                        www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

I had a gelding who was a freak about having anything on his back. I filled a pair of jeans with sand and tied them shut with baling twine, and we worked for about a month with Mr. Sandy on his back.

Much cheaper than the OP version! But I kind of like some of the other ideas on here!

Comment

Originally posted by bluemooncowgirl View Post
                            I can see the bumper stickers now...

"My Ardall is smarter than your Parelli Savvy Club Member!"

I'll buy one!
                            Originally posted by BigMama1
                            Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                            GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Working...
                            X