• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Barrel Racing...english!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrel Racing...english!?

I wanna try barrel racing!

So my boyfriend rides western and wants to do some fun, local speed events, so I thought, what the hay? Why not try some of it on my semi-retired TB who is quick and agile?

I dont feel at all comfortable in a western saddle. The show series already said english tack was okay for the events. (I was thinking either english or bareback hah!)

I have no clue how to train my horse to do barrels. We practiced a few times this past weekend. Tried it at the trot, which went well, then cantered. He got all of his lead changes before we got to the next barrel...apparently he DOES know his changes and can anticipate!

Our turns were a bit wide, especially the last one. I dont know how to get him to do tighter turns. My natural instinct is to keep contact in my outside rein around the barrels, so his shoulder doesnt bulge, but my boyfriend suggested I use only inside rein and inside leg? I havent tried it yet...I dont wanna confuse my poor horse with an already new activity.

He does neck rein pretty well, so I could try that, but i'm much more comfortable direct reining.

Charlie Brown seems to LOVE it already...he kept wanting to do the pattern/prancing...
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Believe it or not you can use basic dressage to teach the horse to shift back and roll around those turns-without falling on his forehand and shoulder or knocking the barrel over as he will if you just use inside leg and inside rein.

There are some real good dvds out there by big name barrel gals, lots of good hints that can help with anything else you attempt by really getting a good foundation on the horse. Not as different as it looks.

Don't think you will be able to really step on the gas in an english saddle-look at pictures of the Pro racers, lots of hands on that horn as they drop low and wrap around then sprint away. Hard to stay on if they are really trucking.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

semi-retired TB
      Why is he semi-retired?
      Barrels done right are hard on a horse.

You develop the pattern at walk & trot, learning the correct aids for yourself at the same time - much better to have a lesson with a good barrel coach then decide if this is going to work for your TB.
      Also try a western barrel racing saddle - it supports the rider correctly which your cc (?) saddle won't - if the saddle fits you & the horses, it should feel different but comfortable.

Comment

I have done it! Well, poles and cones, not barrels. Kind of as a joke.

At our little local shows. On my then-20 yo 15hhArab gelding. In a Stubben Parzival. Dress boots and all.

It REALLY PO'd the serious-about-contesting qh competition because we'd regularly come in - say, 5th or 6th (just out of the money) out of 30-60 entries.
        Him doing that famous Crabbet-bred extended trot!

Why did we place as high as we did? Because he was very response and nimble, never too excited, never knocked any thing down, never ran off-course, never did that hysterical "pogo-sticking" barrel-horse thing at the start after timer was running. AND he loved it! He'd be snorting with delight at the end of it. It would crack people up, and we'd often get a standing ovation.
        But most of the other entrants just glared at us.

Comment

Some shows won't let you show barrels in an English saddle. 4H dictates a stock type Western saddle but the local riding club lets you run in anything you choose. That being said, I think you should try a barrel saddle and see if it changes your mind. It's designed with a deep seat and a high horn which you might need if he really slings around a barrels. At the County 4H show last week, my 14 year old daughter's horse caught a toe in the deep sand, went down on his knees and rolled over on her. I think the horn is what actually kept him from rolling completely over and because of the high pommel and cantle, it gave her room when he did go down. Horse and ride popped right back up and rode the next class. Plus she won barrels and moves on to Regionals. My daughter competes regularly and she uses short gaming reins and typically holds onto the horn with one hand and directs the horse with the other. The horse is pretty much sideways coming around the barrel.
          Lots of pics here, under shows: http://ctgponies.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Charlie is semi-retired because he had surgery 1.5 years ago to fix an infected tendon sheath. He recovered fully, but is not supposed to jump. He's 18 and I bought a new show hunter so he just gets hacked and played around on right now. (ETA: he is completely sound and shows no signs of arthritis etc).

The show specified that english tack is fine. I've actually ridden him in a barrel saddle (my boyfriend has one for his horse) and I felt SO awkward and could not get comfortable. I felt not so secure in it. I could practice more in it, but I would rather do english if I can.

These are going to be tiny little local schooling shows. I'm not going to be uber competitive...I just want to have some fun!
            I dont mind if I cant "step on the gas" too much in an english saddle. If we can canter around the barrels and have tight-ish turns, I'll be a happy camper! If we start to get more serious, I suppose i'll have to get used to that barrel saddle!
            Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
            White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

It sounds like you're doing it for fun, so do what's fun and comfortable for you and your horse. Just add a neck strap if you think you'll need a handle. For a while as a teenager, I had the trained horse but no saddle so was practicing the barrel pattern bareback (yup, at the hand gallop), and polo players routinely bust a move in Englishified tack.

Get someone who's good to show you how the see the 'pocket' around each barrel, so you know where you're aiming and can plan where to place your horse's feet at each gait.
              ---------------------------

Comment

I've done it. It was fun, and like you, I just was not comfortable riding Western. I never rode Western until I started doing our local shows here, because days are split (AM-English PM Western) and my horse gets really bored standing around for half the day. But as I've learned to ride Western better, I've realized that the way it sits you does make you much more secure for the quick turns that barrel racing requires to be competitive. My runs are a LOT faster since I've started doing them Western as you get to feel like you can REALLY dig in and run.

If you're just going to some fun shows for the heck of it, no reason to change over. But if you want to do it regularly? Western is really better, IME.

Comment

I used to barrel race. Rode english during the week, and was on drill team and barrel racing on weekends. And no, we'd didn't hold onto the horn, that was a no no way back then. I don't think I ever barrel raced bareback, altho I rode my horses bareback almost every day.

It's fun. I never won barrel racing, my horses were not quarterhorses. Btu my 2nd horse could outrun every horse in Chatham Co till my neighbors got the racing QH "Bolo."

Comment

If you are not supposed to jump, then i'd think high-intesity sports are not good, so be sure you clear barrel racing with your vet. Barrel racing is a lot harder on a horse (especially with beginning riders/horses.. which both of you are) then it appears.
                    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

Comment

Ditto on learning the "science" of barrels from the pros. If you're going to put the wear and tear on the horse, you might as well do it right and spare your horse some effort.

There are two basic ways to turn a barrel - make a pocket and do a rollback around the barrel, or go a little wider and run all the way. You have to find out which works best for you, your horse, and your style of riding. The amateur approach of riding at the barrel and yanking around is commonly seen at the playday beginner level, and it's only successful for some. Don't try to slither around the barrel as close as you can get. Shin guards are a nice thing to have, especially if that is the modus operandi you choose. The horse needs to keep up his speed, and the slither turn really sucks it away as well as knocking barrels over more often.

I'd put a grab strap on the pommel of your saddle. Riding with two hands is actually an asset in speed gaming because you're keeping your upper body straighter and in better balance.

Look at Martha Josey's books, and she probably has a website, too. She is a very nice lady (I've corresponded with her) and a good horsewoman.
                      "I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Comment

I've done it bareback for a club play day:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

We weren't very fast, but we had fun. I ride english, and at the time I was waiting for the saddle I ordered to arrive

Comment

Originally posted by Mist of Avalon View Post
                          I've done it bareback for a club play day:

We weren't very fast, but we had fun. I ride english, and at the time I was waiting for the saddle I ordered to arrive
                          rats, I'm not on facebook and cannot view.

Comment

I've run games in an English saddle in greenie classes with no particular intent to be fast (rather than correct and accurate). And I've won, too, as a nice bonus.

It IS more secure in a western saddle, and if I'm trying to be competitive, that's what I use - but there's no reason to spend the money on a fancy new saddle just to have a bit of fun.

Getting tight turns is a matter of half-halting going in so that your horse is balanced and able to get down low and drive from behind. It's just the same as doing tight turns in the jumpers.

I would be worried about running games on a horse who wasn't allowed to jump, though. The forces you put on their legs are pretty impressive. Check out the torque, plus the strain that's being put on the tendons in that right front as the fetlock nearly touches the ground (and no, this is not a horse with long or lax pasterns - this is normal for any horse turning a barrel hard): https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-o...relsforweb.jpg
                            Proud member of the EDRF

Comment

I would feel much more secure in a Western saddle doing barrels, but since the PDN is all I have for now, that's what we do (not at speed yet. Well, Lucky's got the hang of "last barrel means run real fast!" He likes that part.)

Remember, wide going in, tight coming out. And don't lean in hard! I think sometimes having a not-a-speed horse can help, just because they aren't so wired by knowing what to do they get out of hand and hit barrels, go off course, etc. One year at fair when they cancelled the open show because of a wet ring, they had a fun show and let leaders, older siblings, etc. ride. I ended up winning the adult walk-trot barrels on my OTTB because the people on trained gaming horses had a terrible time keeping them at the trot! Benny just knew "Trot around the round things? Okay, whatever you say..."
                              Author Page
                              Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                              Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Originally posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
                                rats, I'm not on facebook and cannot view.
                                I'm not sure how to post photos... I tried to use this: [img]value[/img] with the 'value' part replaced with the image info, but it didn't work when I previewed it. Let's see, I tried this with photobucket instead... does it work?

Last edited by Mist of Avalon; Aug. 15, 2011, 10:37 PM. Reason: trying to add photos

Comment

Your boyfriend is definitly right, let go of that outside rein!! You drop your inside hand down on the rein, drop your other hand to the horn and let 'em roll.
                                  http://image24.webshots.com/565/3/73...4RmMwQC_ph.jpg if the link doesn't work, refresh.
                                  This is one of the best barrel racers today.
                                  When you practice, always practice the turns looser than what you would want in competition. Once a horse knows the pattern, the turns get tighter as you go faster. You want to come into it wide (a pocket) and come out tight.

Barrel racing (and other games events) are addicting! One of the best gaming horses I know is a TB =).

Comment

Our daughter won high point games in her English tack and clothing. She was on an older arabian. She had far more control riding that way then the gamers that were pushing for speed. They did perfectly controlled patterns and lead changes. The judge was a little nasty about it but there weren't any rules saying she had to use a western saddle. He told her she had to wear her English clothes if she was going to use an English saddle. She'd rather wear breeches then jeans any day. lol.
                                    Last edited by My Two Cents; Aug. 16, 2011, 10:14 PM.

Comment

My daughter does all different gaming classes and schools English, Western and bareback. Pat9 has some good advice about turning a barrel - my daughter's main gaming horse is 15.2 with a big stride so she turns barrels with him wider. Most of my horses are former ranch horses with a good neck rein and are very handy at other patterns. Just because they can run fast doesn't mean that they are versatile at other patterns including some with jumps. That's where she has excelled.

Comment

Working...
                                      X