• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Crossing the line: Caring owner to Obsessive owner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossing the line: Caring owner to Obsessive owner

I think I am driving my trainer insane.

As some of you may have read, my horse was lamed up pretty bad this week. I had gotten all sorts of explanations, from in the beginning being " he's just a little owchy from shoeing" to two days ago " I just want to get x-rays to make sure he doesnt have navicular" and my horse blowing out an abcsess due to a hot nail in between. Another factor to all of this is that I'm in the middle of the end of show season.

Tempers have flared, tears have been shed (never at the barn mind you, but when I get home I seem to fall apart).
    I have been out to my horse every morning before work (not that this is totally unusual, I ride in the mornings usually too) and have doctored my horses foot. My trainer has slowly but surely, been showing her patience with me is wearing thin. I'm freaked out. I have never owned a horse that is such a perfect match for me or as valuable (or as AWESOME ) as this horse, so to be told that he MIGHT have navicular after just thinking it was a little abcsess made me go a little mental.

I usually call my trainer once a day/every other day, to check in and see what plans are for lessons/training. (NOTE: We have a small barn with about 4 real boarders/owners(me) the rest are all lesson students/riders). This week I have called probably 2-3X a day. I NEVER argue, or get crazy emotional, but I ask a ton of questions.. verbal diarrhea of questions because I want to feel like everything is okay.

I think this is because I think of my trainer more as a friend, and I forget there has to still be a professional relationship there too.

What do you think? When do you cross the line? How often do you talk to your trainer/instructor?

Side note: My horse is doing better. Still lame, but moving about!

I really hope your horse gets well soon. Have the vet out and do a full workup for your peace of mind.

But you call your trainer once a day on a normal day? And are now calling her more? I think you may need to calm it down. Discuss the next day's training the day before when you are at the barn at the end of your lesson, and reduce the phone use.

Honestly, if I were Trainer that many phone calls would probably make me fire you. I used to be one and it was *never* necessary to talk to the owners that much unless I was at a show with a client's horse, when I called with a daily update on how the horses did.

When riding for a trainer, I probably called once a month. Any business was transacted at the barn. When teaching, most students scheduled their lessons once a month or after their previous lesson, so they only called if they needed a change or before a show or something like that. Some would call to schedule lessons or see if anyone was going on a trail ride occasionally, which is more than fine. If not at a show, I called owners of horses in training once a week unless they requested something different. But every day? Never had anyone do or want that.

Comment

If you're calling 2-3 times a day AND going out, you are crossing the line. Your behavior suggests you don't trust her and need to check up on her constantly.

Going out once a day is fine. I wish I could (I board a half-hour from my house.) Calling once a day while there's something going on with his foot, also fine. What you might want to do is have a list of questions--writing it out, look at them and see if any are...unreasonable. Ie. "But what if...." "Are you sure...." "I know I already asked but...." Things that go too far into the hypothetical (unless your trainer is Jeanne Dixon returned from the beyond, she's not a psychic) or second-guessing.

Of course you're worried. But unless you think your trainer isn't being straight with you, or for some reason wouldn't call you if something WAS wrong, 2-3 calls a day with "verbal diarrhea" of questions is in fact going overboard and is telling her you don't trust her. Maybe set up a time that's convenient for her, too, for a daily check-in call, with points you go over, and think about listening as much as asking questions.
      Author Page
      Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
      Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

When my horse had fistulous withers, I was there every single day to clean/medicate/groom and give an injection.

I also emailed the BO at night to check up on him.

Maybe you should back off a little bit and just email or text once a day ontop of your daily visit. I get you're worried, but driving the trainer batshit isnt going to make him any better any faster.

Comment

Yeah you went into the nuts category. It's okay.. happens to all of us once in awhile. (If you think you're bad.. I made the mistake of agreeing to watch my niece once, for my sister.. first time sister had ever left her with someone else.. oh wow. thank god for unlimited minutes. And that brings up the question of why people want to spend 10 minutes with the phone held up to an infants ear.. but that's another post.. Wait.. you aren't having her hold the phone up to the horse's ear are you? bc that is beyond nuts).

Anyway, now that you have realized you are nuts.. you can de-nut yourself. Easier said than done, but the first step to solving a problem, is to admit there is one
          "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

Comment

I think you are going overboard with the calls, but I would tell the trainer what you have told us. This injury has really freaked you out, that you realize that you are overreacting and thank her for putting up with you. Ask for advice or opinion. I am not sure from your post whether you have had x-rays done, or if the abcess blew and there was no need for x-rays.
            Jingles that your horse continues to recover quickly and that this was all just a false alarm.

Comment

One more thing -- this is far from a hopeless case. The fact that you seem to realize you might be going a little overboard, OP, makes it appear to me that you are halfway to fixing the problem already.

Comment

Calling and checking repeatedly will not make your horse sound any faster. It's not even making you feel better. Take a deep breath. Put down the phone.
                ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

Originally posted by Sport View Post
                  I think you are going overboard with the calls, but I would tell the trainer what you have told us. This injury has really freaked you out, that you realize that you are overreacting and thank her for putting up with you. Ask for advice or opinion. I am not sure from your post whether you have had x-rays done, or if the abcess blew and there was no need for x-rays.
                  Jingles that your horse continues to recover quickly and that this was all just a false alarm.
                  Great advice..

oh, and a bottle of wine .. can't hurt... (for either of you)
                  "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

Comment

Originally posted by smokygirl View Post
                    Great advice..

oh, and a bottle of wine .. can't hurt... (for either of you)
                    Or if you're more into that kind of thing, Scotch makes everything better. At least where I'm sitting. (Probably would make the horse feel better, too, unless he wants a Guiness..)
                    Author Page
                    Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                    Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

You have crossed over to the crazy side but at least you realise it! Try to tone it down.

Maybe grab your trainer a bottle of wine and a 'thank you for putting up with my craziness' card when all is said and done.
                      Fit Dog Blog
                      Twitter: https://twitter.com/FitDogBlog
                      Blogger: http://fitdogblog.blogspot.ca/
                      Blog Post: How I Became a Werehorse and a Bit About Bites

Comment

Yes, you've crossed the line. Just calm down, have a drink and relax.

If you feel you need to call the vet, call the vet.

Tell your trainer you're just worried and apologize for bothering her as it wasn't your intention.

Back off and maybe call/email or text her at the end of the day to see how the horses day went. If you've already been there and see that horse is breathing and has four legs and a head, horse is probably going to be fine.

Causing more stress for yourself and your trainer will help no one.

I know that we are passionate about our equine partners but just take care of the horse and fretting isn't going to make the horse better faster. IF it's an abscess, it needs to run its course. If you really think it's more severe, call the vet. Simple as that.

Comment

Yup, you've crossed the line. But you have what I term 'one-horse-itis', and it's a common disease. You've been training hard, showing hard, and your horse goes lame and you have no place to put all your energy (can't ride/show), so you obsess.

If you were lucky enough/rich enough to own several horses you would put lame horsey in pasture, and just go ride one of your other ones. But with one horse, you become a 'hoover' and can't believe that horsey is still lame/possibly dieing/needs complete leg transplant. You need to stop this, drive to liquor store and purchase a big box of cheap wine - drive back to barn/trainer's house and commence refreshments. Your trainer will understand - and your horse will thank you too. ( Horsey also thinks you've gone nuts.)

Save your freak-outs for the really big stuff, and thank your lucky stars that this is just a tiny blip in your/your horse's life.

Comment

Originally posted by smokygirl View Post
                            Anyway, now that you have realized you are nuts.. you can de-nut yourself. Easier said than done, but the first step to solving a problem, is to admit there is one

Best line I have read here in a long time.

No advice to offer, except to just know all of us are nutty. Some moreso than others, but at least you are one that KNOWS you're nutty and not denying it.

((hugs))
                            Alis volat propriis.

Comment

• Original Poster

thank you for all the replies about my cross into crazy land..

<Puts phone into cement block, sinks it in the river.. a lone horn plays...>

I think some of you did nail it on the head- I don't trust her. If I did, I know I wouldn't be calling. I have had many trainers over my lifetime- some fabulous, some that I thought were fabulous, and turned out to be terrible. I am very cautious - overly so. She has done some great things, but she has done some things I disagree with, therefore I am cautious with her as well.

Ahhh. I feel like an @$$. I am going to buy her a nice bottle of wine today.

Comment

I think by now you should have realized that you have crossed the line, and are driving your trainer crazy,... But, don't feel too bad. Anybody who ever loves a good horse will understand.

When my baby was injured at 3 months old, and for a solid month we didn't know whether he would make it, I wanted to call my poor vet every thirty minutes, knowing in my head that there was no way he would have any thing new from thirty minutes ago to tell me. My husband had to get on my case so I wouldn't drive everybody, including myself, crazy.

Take a deep breath. An abcess will heal in time, and even if it were navicular (which you really don't know yet), I've seen plenty of Navicular horses that are perfectly sound and happy.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by TBMaggie View Post
                                  Yup, you've crossed the line. But you have what I term 'one-horse-itis', and it's a common disease. You've been training hard, showing hard, and your horse goes lame and you have no place to put all your energy (can't ride/show), so you obsess.

If you were lucky enough/rich enough to own several horses you would put lame horsey in pasture, and just go ride one of your other ones. But with one horse, you become a 'hoover' and can't believe that horsey is still lame/possibly dieing/needs complete leg transplant. You need to stop this, drive to liquor store and purchase a big box of cheap wine - drive back to barn/trainer's house and commence refreshments. Your trainer will understand - and your horse will thank you too. ( Horsey also thinks you've gone nuts.)

Save your freak-outs for the really big stuff, and thank your lucky stars that this is just a tiny blip in your/your horse's life.
                                  OMG. It's a COTH Intervention. I have one-horse-itis!

TB Maggie- you totally NAILED it!!

Comment

Originally posted by hoofs2118 View Post
                                    thank you for all the replies about my cross into crazy land..

<Puts phone into cement block, sinks it in the river.. a lone horn plays...>

I think some of you did nail it on the head- I don't trust her. If I did, I know I wouldn't be calling. I have had many trainers over my lifetime- some fabulous, some that I thought were fabulous, and turned out to be terrible. I am very cautious - overly so. She has done some great things, but she has done some things I disagree with, therefore I am cautious with her as well.

Ahhh. I feel like an @$$. I am going to buy her a nice bottle of wine today.

I don't think you will ever find a horse person with whom you agree 100% with all the time.
                                    Heck, I disagree with my dad, who taught me most of what I know.

It's not bad to be cautious (especially after having been burned). Vigilance does save us a pretty penny down the road.

however, yeah, do get a really nice, big bottle of wine for your trainer. she probably has already asigned a special ringtone to your number so she is forewarned when you call her (and FWIW, I roll my eyes when my husband calls me from work, have the eyes pop out from rolling at the 2nd call...heck, he has kissed me good bye, that ought to hold him over, no?)

As already mentioned above, there is hope for you yet.
                                    Originally posted by BigMama1
                                    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                                    GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Originally posted by hoofs2118 View Post
                                      The fact that you fundamentally don't trust your trainer and board at her barn is something very real. I would be concerned about it. It is something you need to resolve or move your horse.

It sounds like the suggestion that the lameness might be an indication of navicular disease really freaked the OP out. It's actually not unusual to speculate on all sorts of possible causes when trying to figure out a lameness issue that seems centered in the hoof. My first thought would be abscess, but if it didn't resolve itself with standard treatment over a reasonable period of time, I would want a vet and x-rays as my next step.

One thing the OP should do, if she hasn't already, is to get mortality and major medical insurance on this horse. That way she can just get a vet involved from the get-go and have options if the issue isn't going to resolve itself easily or quickly.
                                      Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
                                      http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

Yeah, you've definitely crossed the line. About you distrusting your trainer...you say she has done things you disagree with, but think about it...are those things actually things that make you concerned in this situation? As in, does she just have a few training practices you disagree with (within reason obviously, nothing abusive or whatever), or some care issues that are still reasonable (keeping in mind there are a lot of different husbandry practices that are all acceptable) or do you really have reason to be concerned about your horse in her care?

I am not trying to say either way, that's totally up to you. However, if you really think she isn't providing appropriate care in this (stressful, but pretty basic) situation, you probably need to look for a new trainer, or at least move your horse and only lesson with this trainer. It is normal to disagree with your trainer in some areas. I've had very few clients in my life who I haven't made uncomfortable in some ways, at least once they moved past the beginner level. A lot of it just comes from the job description--your trainer should push your boundaries and teach you new things that might make you uncomfortable. Add to that the fact that there are plenty of ways to train a horse that aren't cruel but not everyone will like them, and it's common.

I think you need to examine why you don't trust her in this situation, and if it is valid then move your horse. If you're just freaking out, then work on yourself. It would help to be able to confide in someone who knows the details and see what they think as well, because obviously you're quite biased.

Generally, though, calling your trainer 2-3 times a day is absolutely ridiculous, especially if you're going out daily. The absolute most I would tolerate from a client in your situation is the visit in the morning and a call in the evening to see if anything has changed, but even that would probably bother me (though that depends somewhat on whether you see the trainer in the morning, I almost always see my clients when they're here so I would expect to catch up with them then and there, but if I didn't see them I would think a daily check-in call was fine with a lame horse). I don't generally tolerate more than 1 communication with my clients daily unless there is a good reason, and even that is usually overkill. I hope they trust me to call them if there is a new development (positive or negative) and if they don't, then I don't want to work with them.

Of course, I am also pretty sympathetic to the emotional aspects so am pretty forgiving in that regard, but seriously, you would be driving me nuts OP. If you are just being crazy, don't beat yourself up (I get crazy about lamenesses in my own horses too, and I am a pro...just ask COTHer FatPalomino about my crazy calls to her when there's an issue with one of my horses ) but do buy your trainer a bottle of wine or other appropriate gift and explain the situation, apologize, and try to do better.
                                        exploring the relationship between horse and human

Comment

Working...
                                        X