• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

American Saddlebred Horse Assn "Closed Until Further Notice".

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    This just in...

    For Immediate Release
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011
    Contact: William Wood Jr
    Technology Manager

    American Saddlebred Registry continuing normal business operations

    Lexington, Kentucky - The Registry would like to note that during this time of document production, the ASR will remain open, continuing all normal business operations. If there are any questions please feel free to call 859-259-2742.

    Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #42
      Originally posted by asb_own_me View Post
      This mess is hardly unique to the ASHA. This crap goes on everywhere..
      No, that's my point: it really DOESN'T.

      Crooked trainers, sure, no question, they're everywhere. (But in other disciplines, they do NOT use their position as carded USEF judges to fix entire horse shows for personal gain... Because any judge who tried to pull that sh*t in H/J or elsewhere would get protested by at least one person in every single class and would end up going on a nice, long, mandatory vaycay. It boggles my MIND that Planet ASB puts up with this sh*t.)

      And when was the last time you heard of *any* USEF Affiliate organization stealing from its members to perpetuate litigation filed by it against... other members? Name me one other time. And when was the last time you heard of a USEF Affiliate organization CLOSING ITS DOORS 3 weeks before its national show? Try never.

      Y'all ASB people are so used to getting d*cked that you don't even understand how FAR off the reservation this Association really is... Closing its doors in a fit of the sulks without the consent of its own Board of Directors is absolutely UNPRECEDENTED.
      "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

      Comment


      • #43
        Ah, but the point is Stars, that a central person crying foul regarding Mother Mary was involved in some transfers that should be brought out during that wrongful termination deal (including one involving a rescue I've come to find out). So why whistle blow if you aren't that clean?

        And yes, I too have heard from unimpeachable sources regarding Mother Mary and don't know what the fuss is about.

        Comment


        • #44
          Originally posted by War Admiral View Post
          Closing its doors in a fit of the sulks without the consent of its own Board of Directors is absolutely UNPRECEDENTED.
          Nope, it's not. They did the same during WEG when the office was on the same grounds and it was the perfect opportunity to promote the breed - stating that they were having staff stay home due to traffic. I was there for 12 days and NEVER had a traffic issue. Did have issues with the staff and booth volunteers not knowing when our demos were.

          So, the ASHA has done this before.

          Comment


          • #45
            Originally posted by CA ASB View Post
            So why whistle blow if you aren't that clean?
            Because you aren't that bright, either.
            When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
            www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
            http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by CA ASB View Post
              Nope, it's not. They did the same during WEG when the office was on the same grounds and it was the perfect opportunity to promote the breed - stating that they were having staff stay home due to traffic. I was there for 12 days and NEVER had a traffic issue. Did have issues with the staff and booth volunteers not knowing when our demos were.

              So, the ASHA has done this before.
              Please do NOT get me started about the CF that was the ASHA's WEG presentation. While my hat is off to those who brought out their lovely show horses to present to the world, the fact that the President of the ASHA knowingly put in place a team who had virtually no experience, or interest, in the sport horse world (you know, like what was competing at WEG) squandered the very best marketing opportunity the breed has ever seen. For that alone, she should be GONE!

              And if you think she isn't driving the bus on these other issues, I want some of what you are smokin'.
              When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
              www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
              http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by War Admiral View Post
                No, that's my point: it really DOESN'T.

                Crooked trainers, sure, no question, they're everywhere. (But in other disciplines, they do NOT use their position as carded USEF judges to fix entire horse shows for personal gain... Because any judge who tried to pull that sh*t in H/J or elsewhere would get protested by at least one person in every single class and would end up going on a nice, long, mandatory vaycay. It boggles my MIND that Planet ASB puts up with this sh*t.)

                And when was the last time you heard of *any* USEF Affiliate organization stealing from its members to perpetuate litigation filed by it against... other members? Name me one other time. And when was the last time you heard of a USEF Affiliate organization CLOSING ITS DOORS 3 weeks before its national show? Try never.

                Y'all ASB people are so used to getting d*cked that you don't even understand how FAR off the reservation this Association really is... Closing its doors in a fit of the sulks without the consent of its own Board of Directors is absolutely UNPRECEDENTED.
                I didn't specify "this crap" to only mean the association having it's little stompy-feet-breath-holding-temper-tantrum. It was a generalization.

                And yes, this crap does go on in other breed orgs. The IDHSNA is having an ongoing hissy fit of some proportions, going so far as to censure and suspend membership privileges of their equivalent of our "Concerned Members" for the *gasp* horrors of sharing their opinions of the mess in public. Can you imagine how many ASHA members would have been suspended at this point if the ASHA took the same stance? Based on postings on the ASB Voice FB page alone......wow.

                Comment


                • #48
                  Originally posted by Guilherme View Post
                  Breed association politics can make Church/church politics look like an elemtary schoolyard get-together.
                  I am reminded of the old joke: The reason academic politics is so cut-throat is that the stakes are so small.
                  Originally posted by HuntrJumpr
                  No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Originally posted by asb_own_me View Post
                    I didn't specify "this crap" to only mean the association having it's little stompy-feet-breath-holding-temper-tantrum. It was a generalization.

                    And yes, this crap does go on in other breed orgs. The IDHSNA is having an ongoing hissy fit of some proportions, going so far as to censure and suspend membership privileges of their equivalent of our "Concerned Members" for the *gasp* horrors of sharing their opinions of the mess in public. Can you imagine how many ASHA members would have been suspended at this point if the ASHA took the same stance? Based on postings on the ASB Voice FB page alone......wow.
                    Oh yeah.. I cancelled my AQHA membership back when everything they did revolved around the "white rules". Oh god.. that was a mess. Bunch of monkeys fighting over the football...
                    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

                    Comment

                    • Original Poster

                      #50
                      Originally posted by asb_own_me View Post
                      The IDHSNA
                      ...is not an official USEF breed affiliate. ASHA *is*, and as such, is required to adhere to the rules and regulations of USEF. HUGE difference. Which is why I think it's so important that ASHA stay within USEF. At least that way, we all have recourse at rated shows and under USEF rules.
                      "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

                      Comment


                      • #51
                        Stars, you and I are on the same page regarding the WEG thing. I know my hand was slapped when my hard working horse wasn't even acknowledged by the ASHA as having even been there - much less the fact that she was the only one there longer than 4 days.

                        And I ain't smokin' crack, either.

                        But anyone who doesn't think this doesn't go on w/other breeds? The Friesians (much smaller than the ASBs) have so much innuendo and stuff going on (between IFSHA and FHANA) that I feel like I'm in Salem with my head spinning when I listen to them.

                        Comment


                        • #52
                          Originally posted by War Admiral View Post
                          ...is not an official USEF breed affiliate. ASHA *is*, and as such, is required to adhere to the rules and regulations of USEF. HUGE difference. Which is why I think it's so important that ASHA stay within USEF. At least that way, we all have recourse at rated shows and under USEF rules.
                          I said "other breed orgs", not "USEF affiliate breed orgs". But carry on with getting the last word. Because obviously, USEF affiliated breed orgs ALWAYS follow USEF rules and regs to the letter

                          Comment

                          • Original Poster

                            #53
                            Originally posted by asb_own_me View Post
                            I said "other breed orgs", not "USEF affiliate breed orgs". But carry on with getting the last word. Because obviously, USEF affiliated breed orgs ALWAYS follow USEF rules and regs to the letter
                            I'm not trying to get the last word, I'm just trying to make it abundantly clear that there is a WORLD of difference between a non-USEF affiliate breed organization and a USEF affiliate BECAUSE: The USEF umbrella at LEAST gives exhibitors *recourse* that they do not otherwise have if an affiliate fails follow USEF rules. The fact that Planet ASB (and any other Breed Planets you care to Trot out) prefer to just whisper and name-call and never make use of that recourse is a pity, b/c honestly the bigger disciplines DO make use of it. And that's probably one real good reason why they ARE the bigger disciplines.

                            If you choose to be a member of a breed organization that chooses not to affiliate w/ USEF, then you have no recourse against the whims and vagaries of your officers and directors and you take your chances by joining.

                            As to WEG, I totally agree that it was a train wreck but why did you expect anything else??.

                            ...ASHA definitely forgets the words "thank you" unless you're a Kentucky BNT, I'm sure we can all agree on that, too. And I haven't done even 1/1000th as much as y'all have done, so I totally understand why you'd be upset! I'm just amazed that you're not MORE upset.
                            "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

                            Comment


                            • #54
                              Originally posted by ASB Stars View Post
                              Please do NOT get me started about the CF that was the ASHA's WEG presentation. While my hat is off to those who brought out their lovely show horses to present to the world, the fact that the President of the ASHA knowingly put in place a team who had virtually no experience, or interest, in the sport horse world (you know, like what was competing at WEG) squandered the very best marketing opportunity the breed has ever seen. For that alone, she should be GONE!
                              About the Saddlebred demos at WEG (and I will NOT get into a big debate with you as I know your position...just hoping you'll try to see the "other side" of this...)

                              I think the ASHA was trying to showcase our breed in the disciplines that were NOT part of WEG...I am bknow there were LOTS of people there at WEG who had never seen a Saddlebred before...I watched the ASBs demos almost 10 of 16 days of WEG, and I was surrounded by people who didn't know what the difference between a QH, an ASB, a MFT or a Hackney. They loved seeing all the breeds and the best way to differentiate our ASBs from all the others is by showcasing WHAT WE DO BEST AND DIFFERENT from the other breeds.
                              The Foxtrotters were showing their show horses, the Hackneys were showing what best showcased their breed, the TWH were showing their show horses (flat shod, thank you) and so on.

                              Why would we be at WEG and show everyone what they were seeing all week? And, not wanting to down play our horses' abilities to do those WEG disciplines, why would we show a Volkswagon at a Cadillac show? Our breed does not yet have those 4* and 4th level, Grand Prix horses. They would have not measured up to the top-level performances we were seeing at WEG all week.

                              So, the commoner (non-horse educated public) comes to WEG, sees the BEST in the WORLD at the WEG disciplines, and then we put our Saddlebreds out in fromt of them and have them show the same disciplines? Nope. Not good marketing if we want new people to get interested in our breed. They gotta love the horse, the beauty of the breed, their personalities, their brilliance, etc., first...then they'll find out all of what they can do with their Saddlebred.

                              The people who were in those stands each and every day, were mostly non-horse people, but there were also people who knew the WEG disciplines well and knew what GOOD horses performing those disciplines were supposed to look like.

                              If you turn it around, Ravel would look like a Volkswagen at our horse shows....he simply would not measure up, even if he had the show horse abilities our ASBs do. It is simply NOT what sets him apart from our horses. Saddlebreds are good at many things....but they EXCEL at being show horses.

                              The WEG demos were GRAND! Little kids on horses, in show ring attire, racking and trotting around the ring with big smiles on their faces and our grand horses taking good care of them and looking proud and happy about their work.

                              We (everyone who loves the ASB) were selling the breed to the general public at WEG....not to the sport horse world. I hope you can try to see this from the other point of view.

                              You should have packed up your gear and brought your sport horse Saddlebreds to WEG...I know they were looking for great groups to participate in the Equine Village almost up until the start of WEG.

                              And, while I was involved with WEG and I love Saddlebreds, I am not involved with the ASHA..that's another whole ball of wax.

                              Comment


                              • #55
                                Harry Callahan is FEI level and doing well, so yes, we have at least one. Hilda Gurney has one or two as well out here. There was a 1/2 ASB on the South African endurance team - so to state that we're not competing there is incorrect.

                                And, I'm sorry - the audience that was there wanted horses that were approachable. I sat there and listened to the comments and while they thought the show horses were lovely, they were NOT going to buy them. I had multiple offers on my mare if I ever wanted to sell her. Why? Because she was something they could relate to. The show horses ARE exciting, but people could not relate.

                                As to participating almost all the way up to the end at Equine Village? Are you kidding? The horses had to be going through the FEI shot process since January. At the VERY last minute for inclusion (June), a small group of us (Stars included) tried our dangdest to get Harry and a competitive driving team in (BTW, the Hackneys did bring a competitive driving team - from the same stable where the ASBs are ... so can't tell me we didn't know about that).

                                And, what was the ASHA reaction to us trying to get Harry? "Who's Harry Callahan." Heard that with my own ears.

                                And yes, I did bring my horse to WEG, and whether the ASHA recognizes that or not, she was an incredible ambassador for the breed - as well as being the hardest working one there, spending *on average* six hours a day in the public eye, whether in clinics, demos, riding the Park, or down at the petting corral.

                                Don't get me wrong - I love the show horses, but that audience, other than the first night where they wanted a "show" wanted to see approachable horses that they could think of as being a part of their lives.

                                Comment


                                • #56
                                  Originally posted by ASBsRBest View Post
                                  They gotta love the horse, the beauty of the breed, their personalities, their brilliance, etc., first...then they'll find out all of what they can do with their Saddlebred.
                                  Their Saddlebred? Not many of those people had ASBs. The idea is to give them a horse they can use right now today so that the hundreds and thousands of ASBs who can't win at Louisville have a job.

                                  ASHA was responsible for putting together all the breed participants, not just those in the opening act. And they couldn't find one *ONE** FEI discipline horse? To be ANYwhere on the grounds They didn't even invite Harry Calahan? When a winning CDE horse was offered, his owner was given misinformation about the vaccinations and delayed to the point that the person who wanted to volunteer their time money and horse (ex winning five gaited horse now excelling in CDE) was put off entirely.

                                  I'm sorry, but even though I love the show horses, and have gone that route for many years, and will again, they are only a small representation of what this breed has been doing since it's inception. People just don't know about it because it has been hush hush top secret as if the breeders, trainers and owners are ashamed of the top jumpers and other sport horses. And quite frankly, I've had just about all that I can tolerate of that attitude.
                                  Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

                                  Comment


                                  • #57
                                    SmartAlex - you don't have the whole story regarding that horse. PM me for info.

                                    Comment


                                    • #58
                                      Originally posted by War Admiral View Post
                                      I'm not trying to get the last word, I'm just trying to make it abundantly clear that there is a WORLD of difference between a non-USEF affiliate breed organization and a USEF affiliate BECAUSE: The USEF umbrella at LEAST gives exhibitors *recourse* that they do not otherwise have if an affiliate fails follow USEF rules. The fact that Planet ASB (and any other Breed Planets you care to Trot out) prefer to just whisper and name-call and never make use of that recourse is a pity, b/c honestly the bigger disciplines DO make use of it. And that's probably one real good reason why they ARE the bigger disciplines.

                                      If you choose to be a member of a breed organization that chooses not to affiliate w/ USEF, then you have no recourse against the whims and vagaries of your officers and directors and you take your chances by joining.
                                      Bless your heart!

                                      Here I thought the purpose of joining breed organizations was to support the breeds you love and compete with - not to actively seek out governance above all else. Apparently I should drop RID/IDSH like hot potatoes due to the USEF's lack of "rules and regulations"on their affairs. Because, as I said before, the associations governed by the USEF are always beyond reproach!

                                      Yes, I chose. I don't have a problem, either, because I wasn't complaining about either association Just shared a little taste of something that's been going on in that big, bad, outer space of USEF-less-ness

                                      Comment


                                      • #59
                                        Originally posted by smokygirl View Post
                                        Oh yeah.. I cancelled my AQHA membership back when everything they did revolved around the "white rules". Oh god.. that was a mess. Bunch of monkeys fighting over the football...
                                        I don't think you understood what the problems with that rule and if to rescind it and the lawsuit involved with it were, if all you think it was is "a bunch of monkeys fighting over the football."

                                        Just google "The White Rule, Melvin Hatley against the AQHA" for more.

                                        There were very important legal precedents set there, that impacted all associations and were followed with much interest by all and they adjusted their bylaws according to the results of that lawsuit.

                                        That lawsuit was one reason the AQHA decided to accept AI and embrio transfer and could not fight HYPP right off, once the science was there and tests available and is tiptoeing around cloning.
                                        The lawsuit determined how much any one association has the right to do and where it has to follow certain procedural guidelines, if it makes sense for the registry or not.

                                        There is generally more to very involved stories as that one than a flippant comment can explain so lightly.

                                        Comment


                                        • #60
                                          Originally posted by CA ASB View Post
                                          SmartAlex - you don't have the whole story regarding that horse. PM me for info.
                                          The bottom line is that even those horses who were in Kentucky were not invited. Horses with amazing show records and followings, like Harry Callahan, were not invited. The usual suspects in Kentucky were solicited, with their show horses, and there you have it.

                                          There is more to this story, and more to the situation. The ASHA Committee;s are chaired by people who have actively participated in the areas controlled by the particular committee-- except for the sport horse committee. The chair of the sport horse committee is a wonderful lady, and lover of the breed, without question. Is she a competitor, with experience and roots in the sport horse world? No way. She is someone who the President can trust to not get too carried away with getting out of hand. You know, something might actually get done!

                                          They have started a new program that has been discussed here, on COTH. I sincerely hope that they accomplish something with it, because, if not, the refrain from the top will be "SEE! WE gave you something- and you just did not get it done!"

                                          The fact that the program took three years to put together, and that so many other possible ideas, support sytems, and promotions could also have been getting done, during the last decade, had anyone actually been permitted to, is just disgusting.
                                          When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
                                          www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
                                          http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X