• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

American Saddlebred Horse Assn "Closed Until Further Notice".

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nin View Post
    So the Registry is still open, to register horses and transfer ownerships, I assume. So what did the now-closed Association do? Put on shows? What will not be happening for Saddlebred owners while the Association is closed?
    There was a long thread on TROT.com, asking basically, the same thing. What happens if ASHA ceases to exist (question there was go bankrupt)? They don't run any shows other than Louisville, their grasp of marketing the breed generally appears tenuous at best and their magazine is forgetable. Other than tally year end awards & update the website not much would be missed without them. Which, IMO, is why the CSMs started asking questions.

One could also wonder why the same number of employees are processing registrations since the numbers of registrations have dropped significantly in the last few years?
    Visit my Spoonflower shop

Comment

Well, I am not willing to trade one of these groups, for the other. The individual that started who CSM group is, IMHO, one of the least trustworthy people I can imagine, and their only agenda is- their own agenda!!

However, there needs to be some house cleaning. I just do not want to see us lose any more ground in supporting alternative disciplines, and believe me, the CSMs haven't got any use, whatsoever, for anything that is not their definition of a show horse...no use, at all.
      When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
      www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
      http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Comment

I didn't say that one group was any better than the other, just my opionion about what might go away during ASHA's...sabbatical. I don't think that ASHA is doing much to promote sport horses or show horses right now. I don't think they are doing much of anything. Goes back to the 1980's soap opera comparison - they didn't really have a good side and a bad side, both sides were equally capable of screwing someone.

The last thing I would ever do in the saddle (or any other***) horse business is trust any of them. I may respect their experience and knowledge, but definitly not trust them!

***the Arab pyramid schemes of the 1980s anyone?
        Last edited by red mares; Jul. 26, 2011, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by red mares View Post
          The last thing I would ever do in the saddlehorse business is trust any of them. I may respect their experience and knowledge, but definitly not trust them!
          No word of a lie.

As bad as a lot of us think H/J can be, ASHA is a *viper pit* by comparison - and therein lies a lot of the problem, b/c if you've only ever done ASB shows, then you genuinely don't understand that there CAN be fair judging and there ARE responsive and responsible breed/discipline organizations.

The most recent (published) iteration of the ASHA By-Laws makes for interesting reading, particularly Article V, Indemnification, which essentially (I'm paraphrasing in plain English) states that all an officer or director has to do is play dumb in a deposition and immediately the entire ASHA membership becomes responsible for that person's legal fees AND any monetary judgments rendered against them!!!!

In other words, the officers, EComm and BOD can keep milking us for their legal fees pretty much indefinitely, AND we're ALL responsible for paying any judgment rendered against ASHA.

Not even sure if that's legal, but hey; that hasn't stopped ASHA at any previous point...

Oddly enough (history being made here! ) I actually agree w/ ASB Stars that the two issues which originally gave rise to the CMs putting in the audit to ASHA are two issues that aren't real high on my "OMG" list. For me, the issue is ASHA's conduct *since* the audit, which has been reprehensible, unethical, illegal, and only seems to be getting worse and worse as time goes on.

Anyone else wondering how many hard drives are mysteriously crashing today while the office is closed?
          "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Counselor View Post
            Oh. I saw the name of it and was afraid the church was somehow involved...

Seems like a lot of tempest in a teapot, right from the get go. But then again, I don't follow the ASB world.
            Breed association politics can make Church/church politics look like an elemtary schoolyard get-together.

G.
            Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Originally posted by War Admiral View Post
              Oddly enough (history being made here! ) I actually agree w/ ASB Stars that the two issues which originally gave rise to the CMs putting in the audit to ASHA are two issues that aren't real high on my "OMG" list. For me, the issue is ASHA's conduct *since* the audit, which has been reprehensible, unethical, illegal, and only seems to be getting worse and worse as time goes on.
              Anyone else wondering how many hard drives are mysteriously crashing today while the office is closed?
              And by Friday, the office will be spotless, not a scrap of paper to be found anywhere, not even a sticky note. At this point, a fire wouldn't surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by War Admiral View Post
                As bad as a lot of us think H/J can be, ASHA is a *viper pit* by comparison - and therein lies a lot of the problem, b/c if you've only ever done ASB shows, then you genuinely don't understand that there CAN be fair judging and there ARE responsive and responsible breed/discipline organizations.
                Yeah... I grew up riding saddlebreds, and I still absolutely love the breed. I even still love saddle seat done right (hard to find). I thought my whole young life that I would go pro after college...

Then I kept getting more and more jaded with the judging and the trainers. Then I worked for a couple of total sleazebag trainers that are held in VERY high regard within the industry. Then I was done = ) Found my little leopard appy while working at a saddle seat barn in college and never looked back (well, just a little.)

I've since moved onto mostly dressage (working on jumping as well but will likely always avoid the hunter scene for similar reasons to ASB land), and while I miss the excitement (there is nothing like hitting the coliseum on a leg waving saddlebred), I do NOT miss all the unethical trainers and judges and their sheep.

I will always always adore the breed, but I hope its humans can get their crap together. I'd love to see the saddlebred more recognized as an all around horse. Shoot, I'd even love to see the saddle seat ranks clean up their act and get back to basics, but I don't have much hope for that. I think the more unethical saddlebred trainers are going to be the next target after the TWH big lick people get knocked down. I'd hate to see that happen to the breed and the discipline, but I certainly haven't seen many changes for the better since I exited that world.

Comment

Not defending in the least, but the ASHA does NOT run the World's Championship at the Kentucky State Fair. The KSF does that.

Also, there are more horses with funky registrations than just Mother Mary, and interestingly enough, some of the same folks were privy to the info on those. Try a particular Western horse shown by a trainer's hub (ammy), but owned by one of the clients. Transfer got back dated to 2 months before the qualifying period for the next year's KSF - even tho horse was actively showing under the ownership of client at least 2 months into the qualifying period.

Oh the tangled web we weave ...

Comment

IF ONLY !!!

* IF ONLY THE PEOPLE WERE AS GREAT AS THE ASB BREED ~~~
                    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

Yes, we do know you hate that trainer, and you do have good reason.

Moving on... the trainer of Mother Mary, Sandra Lilly, who is as good as it gets, explained the situation fully on Trot. That is enough for me, frankly, because I had heard the same story from another very involved, and unimpeachable source.

How do you get the President of the ASHA to quit? If anyone knows, please share that with me. I don't think that the rot goes all the way through, but I do believe it starts at the top. I do believe that kicking and screaming would be involved....

Comment

Originally posted by Zu Zu View Post
                        * IF ONLY THE PEOPLE WERE AS GREAT AS THE ASB BREED ~~~
                        No one is that damn good. Really.

Comment

OOPS !!~ I STAND CORRECTED !!! YOU ARE RIGHT !

Originally posted by ASB Stars View Post
                          No one is that damn good. Really.
                          OOPS ! I STAND CORRECTED ~~~ ASB Stars ~ YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT !
                          Last edited by Zu Zu; Jul. 26, 2011, 08:49 PM.
                          Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

Originally posted by CA ASB View Post
                            Not defending in the least, but the ASHA does NOT run the World's Championship at the Kentucky State Fair. The KSF does that.

Sorry that was me, I had heard it somewhere. I thought ASHA did SOMETHING. Apparently I was wrong.

There's a lot of gripes here about crooked ASB trainers, but honestly they are in every breed/discipline. How many Arabs died in the 80's for the insurance $$$? As a kid I remember some horses being used as mules to transport drugs & it wasn't in the ASB world. H/J isn't all roses either - I think a friend of my mother's ended up dead as a result of his dealings with H/J people. It was hunter ponies that got Ratemyhorsepro started.

I never really got the fuss about Mother Mary. As long as there was no disagreement between the current and previous owners about who collected the prize money, who cares who's name was on the papers? None of my business. The horse stayed with the same trainer the whole time & she was the best horse in the ring that night, regardless of who owned her.

Comment

Originally posted by CA ASB View Post
                              Also, there are more horses with funky registrations than just Mother Mary, and interestingly enough, some of the same folks were privy to the info on those. Try a particular Western horse shown by a trainer's hub (ammy), but owned by one of the clients. Transfer got back dated to 2 months before the qualifying period for the next year's KSF - even tho horse was actively showing under the ownership of client at least 2 months into the qualifying period.

Oh the tangled web we weave ...
                              I wonder, will he be an angel forever?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiffani B View Post
                                And you wonder why I will not share sensitive information with you?

Comment

This is from ASB Voice's FB site-

Simon Fredricks
                                  The "office closed" press release by ASHA is a transparent, pathetic and clumsy
                                  attempt to demonized the CM.
                                  On 22July Stopher told the court that ASHA had ALL the records available on 19July. The staff stated that all records could be produced in less than a day
                                  electronically. Additionally,The judge ORDERED that ALL Balch's records be given to CM by August 5 with the other listed documents.
                                  17 hours ago

Aside from the obvious grammatical issues, this makes it clear that even a year and a half after Alan Balch's departure, the "witch hunt" continues. The mere fact that Fredricks needs to highlight this specific information speaks volumes.

Comment

Originally posted by red mares View Post
                                    IThe last thing I would ever do in the saddle (or any other***) horse business is trust any of them. I may respect their experience and knowledge, but definitly not trust them!
                                    I don't know... I'm losing respect for a LOT of them at the speed of light.
                                    ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

This mess is hardly unique to the ASHA. This crap goes on everywhere. The unique part of the situation is that the Saddlebred community is so relatively small....so a lot more people know more about the details of the "soap opera" than usual. Many of us personally know people (whether we want to or not!) involved in these sketchy transfers, members of the BOD, folks in the office, etc. so it becomes a lot more personal. RedMares hit on some of the scams/abuse that are widespread in other industries.

Comment

The Morgan world has gone through stuff like this, too. Several (many?) times. Some of it is tension between "show" people and "pleasure/work" people. Some of it stems from a meeting held decades ago... and ironically enough, some from documented "behind the barn" use of Saddlebreds in Morgan breeding after the studbook was closed in the late 1940s. The registry/AMHA has nearly gone bankrupt in the past fighting lawsuits, though at the moment things are pretty quiet.

The two breeds have a lot in common besides heritage: a small, wealthy group of "show" owners/trainers/etc. who have a lot of power, high financial barrier to entry if you want to do well at breed shows, rapidly declining foal registrations (Morgans down to about 1500/year from 3500/year maybe 10 years ago), aging breeders without a lot of younger folks coming up to take over, dominance of the "show" horse meaning a lot of horsepeople outside the breed ring don't know just how *wonderful* these horses can be for sport, etc.

Very sad, in any case. These horses are part of the American heritage!
                                        You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tiffani B View Post

Comment

Working...
                                          X