• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Moving to Long Island!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Long Island!

I just found out that I'll be moving from Maine to Long Island in September, and I will be bringing two horses with me. I'll be working in Westbury but living and looking to board in Suffolk County. I was hoping to get some advice/recommendations from the NY COTH crowd on where to ride/board/vet/farrier and so on. Lots to think about when moving to a whole new horse community!

It would probably be helpful to tell you a bit about me and the critters... I have a 3 year old anglo-trakehner filly and a 10 year old quarter horse gelding (technically my boyfriend's horse ). My first love is eventing, but I've mostly ridden with dressage and hunter/jumper trainers and am happy doing both. I'd like to start competing the filly next year, so far she shows great promise for any of those disciplines and I'm looking forward to seeing how she progresses... My boyfriend is mostly into trail and pleasure riding. Both horses are easy keepers, great to work around and level headed (yes, even the "3 year old" "trakehner" "filly", I swear!).

I'd also like to know about what to expect for average costs of board, farrier service (one is barefoot, one has four shoes), and so on. I know board can vary but the only places I can find with prices listed online are $750 and over. Are there places that board for less or should I be prepared to pay at least that? I don't need a training facility, I am willing and able to trailer for schooling/lessons/shows.

This seems really broad and basic, and I suppose it is. I've been scouring the internet but I figure the best sources are the people who live it every day. Sorry if it seems vague but I'll happily answer questions and any input will be appreciated. I'm really excited about this move, I think there is so much opportunity down there with the horses and I'm very thankful to any of you who can help me out .

Alas, I can't help with the trainer/barn stuff, but I would HIGHLY recommend that wherever you wind up in Suffolk County, it's near Connetquot River State Park & Preserve.

I rode in that park for 5 years when I sharedboarded on first a QH mare and then a Hanoverian. Awesome trail riding... 50+ miles of sand paths, very well groomed, lotsa wildlife, water, trees, etc.

Yearly pass is still only $25.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Have you visited www.liequine.com and www.lidcta.com?

Comment

Gosh, the culture shock alone would just knock me over. I started out in Fairfield county and every move has been farther north and east. Now I'm in Maine, and have no plans to head back to where I started.

That state park sounds pretty cool, though.
        Providence sometimes takes care of idiots. Agnes Morley Cleaveland in No Life for a Lady.

Comment

Yes, but Chocomare - it ain't what it used to be! So much of Long Island has been developed, as is true for many many other places!
          www.specialhorses.org
          a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

• Original Poster

I have been to the lidcta site, and am planning to join. I'll check out the other site as well, thanks!

I'm sure it'll be a culture shock but I'm not going in unawares . I've been down there several times and my boyfriend is from there. We are both moving down for work and I'm really pretty excited about it. I've looked into that park and it seems like it's still a really nice place to trail ride...we shall see!

Thanks for the input!

Comment

I haven't been to this place in ages, so I can't speak for the current state of affairs there. I know of it because it's close to my parent's home, and the man who manages it used to sell us hay for our private stable. It has trail access to the Muttontown Preserve, but no trainers / program as far as I know. It's close to Westbury, so you could ride after work

BILL FINETTA
              516-364-2670

1912B Route 106, Syosset, NY 11791

Comment

<it ain't what it used to be! So much of Long Island has been developed, as is true for many many other places!>

Former Californian living back on Long Island again, for now. I can't wait to get out of here and go North (planning on it, next few years). It Was great horse country when we were young. Now, stores & stores & big deal - some beaches (so you can "sit" in the hot and ruin your skin - fascinating). I hate what Long Island has become.

sorry

Comment

You might want to check out North Shore Equestrian Center. They are located on CW Post College campus. I boarded there, this is scary, 30 years ago. They have a website. It was really nice riding through the college campus, I don't know if you still can. Good luck with your move

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I've been surfing away and am finding some really good prospects. September will be here before I know it...

Comment

I should clarify: I recommended looking into the place on 106 in Syosest because I think it will be relatively CHEAP, and you said you didn't need a program. N Shore Equestrian Center, Hunter's Moon, et al, will probably run you $3k a month. GOOD LUCK

And Sonoma County -- I totally agree with you I grew up in LI horse country! Now old horse farms are tacky McMansions. Makes me so sad.

Comment

Originally posted by JAMO View Post
                        I should clarify: I recommended looking into the place on 106 in Syosest because I think it will be relatively CHEAP, and you said you didn't need a program. N Shore Equestrian Center, Hunter's Moon, et al, will probably run you $3k a month. GOOD LUCK

And Sonoma County -- I totally agree with you I grew up in LI horse country! Now old horse farms are tacky McMansions. Makes me so sad.
                        Wow, North Shore Equestrian Center was I think about $400.00 per month back in the 80's. The good old days when Dad paid the bill They didn't have an indoor back then.

Comment

• Original Poster

JAMO-You are correct, I am looking to keep the cost of board down and don't need to be boarded at a facility with an extensive training program. Your recommendation is a great lead.

I'll be looking into places to take lessons and go for schooling as well though, so it's great to hear about the bigger facilities also. I have always subscribed to the have trailer/will travel method .

Comment

I boarded at Brookville Farms (in Glen Head) recently while I was on LI and the care was great - 2 large outdoor rings, access to trails, reasonable hours, individual all day turn out, supplements/blankets/flymasks on off included in board etc. No indoor, but it was fine.

You are going to have to pay over $750/mo for anything decent IMO. Around $1000/mo should get you a good place - $3000/mo would be more like a place that would tack up for you when you were coming out.

I know most of the DVMs in the area, and would definitely recommend Dr. Juul-Nielsen and his associates.....have a couple of good farriers too.

Good luck with the move - it's a hard place to live (and $$$ to have horses), but there are good things about it for sure!

Comment

What about Thomas' in Melville? Still good? (I worked there as a lowly stable hand in the 80s)
                              <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoMare View Post
                                What about Thomas' in Melville? Still good? (I worked there as a lowly stable hand in the 80s)
                                I remember showing there in the late 70's early 80's

Comment

Unless you want a backyard barn (about $600+ a month), I think you are going to have to increase your budget, closer to $900-$1,000 is more realistic. North Shore Equestrian at CW Post College is about $1,500 I think, there is Jimmy Rice at Red Barn on 106, great care, smallish indoor I think they are about $1,200 - $1,500, can't remember.

If you're an eventer and want lots of property, there is Lloyd Harbor Equestrian Center at Caumsett State Historic Park, board is $900+, but the park is 1,500 acres of woods, trails, open fields, and you can even ride down to the LI Sound. I have friends who are serious eventers and they go to Caumsett to do their gallops. You can trailer in and pay the park fee to ride on the grounds, or board at LHEC and have the use of their indoor, jumping ring, outside course, dressage ring, etc.

PM me for more info if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoMare View Post
                                    Yup, TSH is still there, I can't remember what board is though, at least $900-$1,000 I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by animaldoc View Post
                                      I know most of the DVMs in the area, and would definitely recommend Dr. Juul-Nielsen and his associates.....have a couple of good farriers too.
                                      I would recommend Carl Nielsen as well.

Comment

When I boarded in Bohemia, the two private home/barn owners were members of the Islip Horseman's Association: http://isliphorsemensassociation.com/

Perhaps an email to the club might be beneficial to finding a private home/barn that has an opening?

Comment

Working...
                                        X