Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

3255 Davidsonville Rd  Barns

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Bath Means Soap and Water ONLY Vent -- Update Post 72!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's such a shame to have her miss the inspection, especially if the next one isn't for a year. Perhaps contact the organizers to see what they suggest? Possibly close-roaching all of it off is the only way to show off the pretty line of her neck and it'll grow out by next year (and not look too bad in photos).
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

Comment

• I am so sorry this happened to you at such a critical time. I don't know anything about this breed except that I think they have very striking coloring.

But I do know that no one should ever take a pair of scissors or a clipper to someone else's horse WITHOUT prior permission- ANYONE who has been around horses - whatever the breed, should know that.

I had a similar thing happen years ago. My husband and I had walking horses and we were befrended by a family with a disabled daughter who wanted to ride. They were looking for a horse with a smooth gait.

We allowed the family to bring their disabled daughter to ride at our place. They had another daughter who also would ride sometimes with her sister. While we were away at a show, they showed up to ride and while the disabled daughter rode, their other daughter decided to bathe and groom one of our model (not the toy kind) horses, which we had not taken to that particular show because there wasn't a model class (think halter class.)

Anyway, we came home to find our model mare who had placed first or reserve consistently all season sporting a forelock that looked Moe's bangs only shorter, and a tail banged at her hocks -- but the worst thing was that her mane was now only 4 inches long all the way down her neck!!!!

For those of you not familiar with walkers, like ASBs, they are supposed to have long flowing manes and tails (the longer and thicker the better)-- and they don't have forelocks that look like Moe's bangs only shorter.

And yes, it takes years to get those long flowing manes and tails - years of hand combing (using fingers only to "pick" the mane and tail) and lots of use of various conditioners and lots of braiding and using tail bags and mane tamers to protect that hair.

OP- I really am sorry this happened. I am also sorry the gentleman in question apparently took offense. I think it was wonderful of you to be so generous with your time and horses. I hope this experience has not soured you on trying to help people with disabilities enjoy horses.

Comment

• Original Poster

BB -- thank you for sharing your story. It is far worse than mine. My mare's mane will be fine in a few months. I will take her to the Evaluation and have her do her two final performance tests. I have spent too much money, time and effort not to go forward. I will live with the fact that her appearance is definitely subpar. I was going to take her in conformation as she was last evaluated as a 3 year old and got a lower end qualifying score due to immaturity. She is now 13 and has been doing well in halter classes. I would have liked to have had a better score for her.

I can assure you that I am willing to help others with my time and horses. One person's behavior does not ruin it for me. In fact, although he is angry with me because I was willing to help because he is handicapped, the door is open for him to drive here again.

Meanwhile, I have been relieved to have a great deal of drama on the farm disappear and will focus on getting 6 horses to the evaluation and another 6 to the horse show.
        Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
        http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

• You know what they say about assumption!
          That sucks about the breed show coming up! One good thing it is only hair and it will grow back!

Comment

• Ugh, I'm really sorry this happened to you. I was trying to think of a way you could use mane extensions, but I'm not sure how on a Fjord.
            You are what you dare.

Comment

• Perhaps a jaunty hat?: http://us.cdn4.123rf.com/168nwm/jere...pecial-hat.jpg
              "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for the great laugh. That hat would be perfect for my dilemma!

Comment

• Originally posted by Natalie A View Post
                  Yuck, mangled Fjord manes are awful. Someone butchered the gelding I ride's forelock a few years ago... apparently with the owner's consent but it was an awful idea (evidence. Ignore the fact he's dressed as a hot dog). Thankfully it quickly grew back.

And yeah, alas having a disability doesn't preclude you from being an idiot. I have a medical condition and do a bunch of volunteer work with the disability community... they are everywhere.

OMG! I lol'ed when I saw the picture! I am embarrassed for this poor guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronwoodFarm View Post

Thank you for the great laugh. That hat would be perfect for my dilemma!
                    Bonus points if you show up with one of those for the show!

(yes, I know, NOT helpful!)

Comment

• Truthfully, not even in the same realm of stinky behavior as the perps who ruined your mare's mane, but still...

Our 3YO stallion was ONE WEEK from his breeding approval inspection, in training, doing super, etc etc. We took him to a year end in-hand show the week before inspection date, where of course he was braided nicely and groomed to the nines. Put him back on trainer's trailer to go back to their barn. Hubby picked him up with our trailer the next week to go to inspection - I followed in my car with two girlfriends (for moral support - I was a nervous wreck!).

Got to inspection site, hubby took horse in to his stall to await grooming and braiding. When I got there with my braiding kit and stool, I found that trainer's GF had CUT OUT HIS BRAIDS the week before. WITH SCISSORS. I was left with straggly bristling mane from about 2 inches to maybe 3 inches long, to make presentable for the inspectors in another 2 hours..... or at least attempt to.

I had trainer hold the horse for me, and I let him have it in no uncertain terms, in regards just how unprofessional the conduct of his GF and PARTNER was in this instance. While he did an adequate job of training, this instance and a few others were what made us remove all of our horses from them shortly thereafter. I am still ticked off. You just don't DO that to people's horses!
                      Homesick Angels Farm
                      breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
                      standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
                      www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Ugh, your mane story certainly tops mine. It has to be worse that you were actually paying the trainer for his services! He had to have known better. I do like the fact he didn't bother to tell you about the damage done.

It just amazes me that people who are professionals or consider themselves experts just don't get it about hacking on the mane of a non-owned horse. They certainly don't think to call or ask before they start in on their demolition job! It's among the dumbest mistakes you can ever make.

And yes, I do understand how livid you are to this day about what happened. I am so sorry you had to have this experience. What did you end up doing at the inspection AdAblurr02?

Comment

Working...
                        X