Sport Horse Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

JR-1

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Bath Means Soap and Water ONLY Vent -- Update Post 72!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, NOWHERE does show ring ready mean a 4inch section of mane missing!

Comment

Wow, I too thought you were going to be complaining about Show Sheen or something equally "shiny." I just borrowed a horse for a show this weekend, and my show prep for him included pulling his mane, trimming legs,muzzle, ears and bridle path, and banging his tail. However, I've also been riding him for 2 years and know his owner is FAR more liberal with the use of clipper and scizzors than I will ever be! Had it been a horse or owner I was not so familiar with his normal show grooming prep I would have asked the owner to either be there to assist or be very specific on what/how much trimming they were ok with.

I just can't imagine going to town with somebody elses horse like that! Well..... sorta..... I did paint aforementioned horse up like an Appaloosa once since I know how much owner "loves" them...... But not 3 weeks before a freaking breed show/inspection!!
      You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Comment

I know nothing of the breed standard so I am curious what the mane is supposed to look like?

Is having a four inch section missing better than just roaching the whole thing off?

As an aside, I am sorry this has happened. What a nightmare so close to an important day. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by asb_own_me View Post
          You would let her know? Seriously? How about asking permission, since BORROWING a horse means the horse is not your horse to clip as you please. Good grief.

Wow.
          Umm yeah, I'd let her know what I was going to do before I'd do it, so she could say yay or nay.

In other words - OMG I'd ask if it was OK first!1!!!! How terrible of me.

Good grief.

Comment

Weighaton,

A Fjord's mane should look awesome.

http://www.equestrianandhorse.com/im...ny_1728820.jpg

Also found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQwQSVNZd5g
            The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
            Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Comment

Almost as bad as the time my trainer's horse received a serious tail banging from an unknown stylist at a horse trial. Honest to god, they came back and his tail was cut off. No clue who did it.
              Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
              Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

Comment

Originally posted by analise View Post
                Weighaton,

A Fjord's mane should look awesome.

http://www.equestrianandhorse.com/im...ny_1728820.jpg

Also found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQwQSVNZd5g
                LOL, I thought they made a plywood template they clamped over the mane to buzz it....

I know, I know....

Comment

Dear Horse gods, It's a Fjord, not an Arabian. I don't know what I would have done, but there would have been tears followed by some serious emotional trauma.
                  “Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker, and more intelligent.” -George Morris

Comment

Originally posted by CrackTheLatch View Post
                    Dear Horse gods, It's a Fjord, not an Arabian. I don't know what I would have done, but there would have been tears followed by some serious emotional trauma.
                    Hell, I have *Arabs* and I'd be ripping mad if that were done to one of mine.
                    And the trauma would be more than mental if anyone barbered my hosses.
                    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Originally posted by OverandOnward View Post
                      Of course you are right that no one should clip or in any way change the appearance of someone else's horse without permission.

That said ... 3 weeks from a major show is the time to stay in hyper-vigilance mode.
                      Are you kidding? Who, I ask, could have foreseen something like this?!?!?

I think you're being way too hard on the OP. She tried to do something nice for someone else. BTDT. Perhaps you haven't. But no good deed goes unpunished.

IMO - have noticed there are some BNR's who need to stamp this on their brains. Missed major team competitions, international trips, 4*'s, etc. due to injuries from professional and personal activities that were part of normal life for them. But for some period of time, maybe 4-6 weeks, they needed to make a change to be sure there was no missing that big show. Some normal activities need to be curtailed or practiced with extreme watchfulness and care.
                      And what, pray, does this have to do with the OP's situation?

I do agree with you about how wrong the borrowing friend was. Under any circumstances I would be crazed about this, myself.
                      Thank you for saying that. It somewhat restores my hope that you actually have some common sense, and some connection to what actually occurs on Planet Earth.
                      In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                      A life lived by example, done too soon.
                      www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

Wow, IF....I would have been livid!!!
                        Debbie Hanson
                        www.ratemyhorsepro.com

Comment

I had a well-meaning person put a 5" arab-type bridle path on my AA hunter. I was not a happy camper. I explained to her that while it may be the right way in her world, it was a big faux-pas in mine, and I would handle all mane trims and show clips (as it was down to the skin and baby-oiled) from here on out.

She was a lovely person, but not aware of the differences in turnout between our worlds.

Comment

• Original Poster

ESG, you are right that never in a million years would I have thought these folks would do this. They have been horse people since childhood. They have their own horses. It is not as if they are unfamiliar with my horses or even a Fjord evaluation.

And yes, when I saw it I did tell the husband how I felt. The answer was "Sorry, we thought she needed a bridle path." Never mind that the mare had a bridle path and a perfectly nice mane when she left my farm. Never mind that I have a cell phone on me at all times and answer it. I actually think it is less stupidity and more arrogance -- they think they know so much about showing horses that they unquestionably do the right thing. Except when they don't and then it's just "sorry" from the husband and nada zip in the way of an apology from the clipper wielding wife.

IF Jr has suggested gluing some mane to the front gap, "like hair extensions." I have no shortage of Fjord mane hair, but I don't see pulling this one off. I agree that it is just hair and it will grow back in time. I am scratching the mare from her conformation test where appearances do count and will have her do performance tests as planned.

The Scissorhands are officially banned from any and all grooming that I can't supervise. This will likely limit their showing opportunities. All I can say is "sorry."
                            Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
                            http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

I once flew into tears of despair for days when overnight Abba's beautiful full weanling tail was eaten by her BFF. It was shocking! And that was an act by another horse. Nobody could understand my mental anguish, even me! I'm guessing is psychological due to the fact that my mane is just yuck so I like to live through my horses beautiful hair.

So if something like that was done intentionally, I just can't imagine. And I know in the grand scheme of life this is very minor, but it doesn't matter.

Very shocking all together that someone would do such a thing.

Terri
                              COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Comment

Originally posted by IronwoodFarm View Post

And yes, when I saw it I did tell the husband how I felt. The answer was "Sorry, we thought she needed a bridle path." Never mind that the mare had a bridle path and a perfectly nice mane when she left my farm. Never mind that I have a cell phone on me at all times and answer it. I actually think it is less stupidity and more arrogance -- they think they know so much about showing horses that they unquestionably do the right thing. Except when they don't and then it's just "sorry" from the husband and nada zip in the way of an apology from the clipper wielding wife.

The Scissorhands are officially banned from any and all grooming that I can't supervise. This will likely limit their showing opportunities. All I can say is "sorry."
                                Huh. If that's the best they can manage in terms of an apology, I'd be telling them they could go buy their own horse and style its mane/tail any way they chose, but my horse was no longer available to them for any reason.
                                Full-time bargain hunter.

Comment

With that entitled attitude it would be a cold day in hell that those people came near any animal I owned ever again. What total arrogance they have.
                                  You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Originally posted by JanM View Post
                                    With that entitled attitude it would be a cold day in hell that those people came near any animal I owned ever again. What total arrogance they have.
                                    ^^ This. IronWoodFarm, you must be a Saint because I wouldn't let them touch my horse ever! or you must have some sort of contract with them that says they can use the horse until x date?

Is this the first time they act like that? I wouldn't be surprised if they try to do other things similar... Sorry but I feel it was maybe a deliberate act and not just a kid's silly moment who just didn't know better. Those are grown ups...

Comment

Originally posted by IronwoodFarm View Post

P.S. But seriously folks -- don't ever take scissors or clippers to a horse without the owner's express permission.
                                      Ya think?

I'm just gobsmacked. They may be horsepeople, but they have NO common sense.

You have my sympathy.
                                      Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                      Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                      -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Ironwood, I'd be tempted to bring that mare back home. If the mare already had a bridle path, and they chose to 'correct' it, and still don't get it, that mare needs to come home. Who knows what else they feel the need to correct about her appearance.

Comment

Send them the bill for having to reschedule the evaluation.

Expensive 4 inches of hair...

Comment

Working...
                                          X