• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

anyone of you board in a city? (pros v cons) EDIT where to board west of philly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone of you board in a city? (pros v cons) EDIT where to board west of philly

Decision was made for me-the place is full. SO! does anyone have any recommendations of places to board that are not too far from NW philly? Main line, Radnor hunt area? Thanks...

I'm trying to make a decision about where I board my horse when I move into a city this summer. I can keep her at a barn that is <2 miles from work/home; right in the middle of a huge urban park with a massive trail system; a beautiful indoor; an outdoor w/jumps; a h-j trainer on site; all the hay and grain my horse needs; large airy stalls; and a manager onsite. the con? 3-4 hours a day of turn out in a dirt lot.

Or, I can try to find a place outside the city, drive 40+ min and likely pay more, have similar amenities, plus have all day or all night turnout, or pasture board (which i currently have). I've never boarded her anywhere where she's had less than 12/12 turn out, and I don't know how she'd do. She is 17 this year and sound, but I don't know if putting her in a stall 20 hours a day would be good for her, or fair. If I did move her to the above mentioned place, it would be for entirely selfish reasons-the amenities and being close to home (far closer in fact that anyplace I've ever boarded them-other than when I had them at home!).

Any thoughts or input? I appreciate it. Thanks!
    Last edited by DieBlaueReiterin; Jun. 13, 2011, 02:16 PM. Reason: new info
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

Originally posted by DieBlaueReiterin View Post
    I'm trying to make a decision about where I board my horse when I move into a city this summer. I can keep her at a barn that is <2 miles from work/home; right in the middle of a huge urban park with a massive trail system; a beautiful indoor; an outdoor w/jumps; a h-j trainer on site; all the hay and grain my horse needs; large airy stalls; and a manager onsite. the con? 3-4 hours a day of turn out in a dirt lot.

Or, I can try to find a place outside the city, drive 40+ min and likely pay more, have similar amenities, plus have all day or all night turnout, or pasture board (which i currently have). I've never boarded her anywhere where she's had less than 12/12 turn out, and I don't know how she'd do. She is 17 this year and sound, but I don't know if putting her in a stall 20 hours a day would be good for her, or fair. If I did move her to the above mentioned place, it would be for entirely selfish reasons-the amenities and being close to home (far closer in fact that anyplace I've ever boarded them-other than when I had them at home!).

Any thoughts or input? I appreciate it. Thanks!
    I vote for city. I live and board my horse in the city. Many horses your mare's age are thriving. I'd take the added exercise of you riding more often over the added turn out. If she's sound and rideable, then keep her close by and enjoy her.
    Last edited by TheHorseProblem; Jun. 12, 2011, 06:51 PM. Reason: oops--it's a mare
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Comment

Ditto. If you can get out to her 5 or 6 times a week, its better for her than if you only get out to her 3 times a week. She will have plenty of variety in her day if you are coming out frequently. This way, even if you can't ride, you can come out and groom, give treats, walk her around. Its so close, you could go out to her two times a day on the weekend or vacation tme. If she's sick 0r needs attention, you're there zippo fast. You'll do great in the city. Have a great time!
      Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

Is this the place out by Chestnut Hill? It seems to be a nice place and there are a ton of trails nearby.

Being in the area I can tell you that it can be very difficult to get in and out of the city so when the days are short you will appreciate not having much of a commute to your horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

thank you for the supportive comments. i sort of feel guilty even considering it, and subverting her wants for my own. i still have to think about it for a while.

and yes, it is the place at chestnut hill. it does seem REALLY nice, nicer than the other/smaller place in the park which i stopped at. that place has about 8-4 turnout, but again they are in tiny lots, and those don't even have trees for shade. and the ring was really small, so that place is off the table.
          My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

Comment

Can you try out board at the city place and see how it works out? If you're getting out and riding most days, maybe the lesser turnout won't be a huge deal. You want to spend her ridable years being able to see her daily and taking advantage of trails, etc- you can always move her out of the city if it's not working out.

Comment

Could you negotiate for a little longer turnout. I have never noticed they care if it is dirt or whatever. I mean they love to eat grass but that is not really the point of turnout, in a situation like this. Maybe you could pay a bit more and have her turned out in the arena for a buck in the other half of her day or something. Good luck.
              “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
              ? Rumi

Comment

I'm going to chime in with the opposite view unfortunately. It's very hard for an older horse to go from all day turnout to being stalled 20-21 hours a day. An extra exercise session or two each week with you riding is absolutely not the same thing. If you want your horse to stay sound and rideable for years to come, I'd do everything in my power to get him as much turnout as you can afford from a $ and commute perspective.

I've been at urban barns and no matter how much they try, the horses don't stay as sound as the ones with more turnout, especially as they age. It would be a little different if your horse was used to being stalled all the time but it sounds like he's not. I've always been told that increased turnout is the best way of dealing with age related unsoundness (arthritis, etc.) so with a 17 year old, there's no way I'd compromise on that for my own convenience unless there was absolutely no other option because having an unsound horse you can't ride is pretty inconvenient as well. I'd explore the other options if I were you.

Also with older horses, I think the idea of the 1/2 hour turnout for a buck or two is a terrible idea. I want there to be a lot of steady motion, with ocassional craziness, not a 1/2 hour explosion every day that couldl result in pulled muscles.

Comment

As the owner of an arthritic 16 year old, I agree with NCRider. Knowing he is out full time wandering around, being social, and moving is a HUGE relief for me. Yes, I have to drive to him, but I think this is what I have to do to have a sound and happy horse. When work is crazy and I can't get out, he is perfectly happy without me.

Your call, and I certainly understand the appeal of the close in place, but I think you are fooling yourself if you think being in a stall 20 hours a day won't have an effect on her comfort level.
                  The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

• Original Poster

i posted the question on another board, but it didn't get much response. i know i have until august, but for some reason i'm just starting to feel frantic. any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by NCRider View Post
                      I've been at urban barns and no matter how much they try, the horses don't stay as sound as the ones with more turnout, especially as they age.
                      Is there any statistical proof of that?

What does your vet say, DBR?

Also, consider that nothing is permanent. You could give the urban barn a shot for six months, and move if it doesn't work out.
                      2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Comment

• Original Poster

i didn't talk to the vet about it. I guess I should. I moved already once last summer and (KNOCK ON WOOD) haven't needed a vet since, so I haven't found one down here to talk to. (i do my own shots.) I'm sure my old vet wouldn't mind talking to me. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

Are you living in NW Philly? Around Chestnut Hill or Germantown? Much as I love being in Radnor Hunt Country you would be better off looking out in the Blue Bell area. It will be easier to get to for you.

Not sure what is going on with Fitz Dixon's old farm these days but maybe someone on here knows.

Isn't Rich Scarlett out that way too?

Comment

I am going to agree with those that said to proceed with caution moving to a barn that has very limited turnout for an older horse. I don't have statistical data, but I saw first hand what that scenario did to my sister's gelding. The horse was in his late teens, sound, and only getting a maintenance joint supplement. He was at a farm where he was turned out 12 hours a day. Moved to a place much closer to home that had just a very small paddock and very limited turn out. Her horse rapidly declined becoming chronically lame. Had the vet out and she diagnosed arthritis. My sister had to start him on Adequan, up his joint supplement, and added in anti-inflammatories (B-L pellets). He improved enough that he wasn't technically lame, but he was still stiff. It wasn't until we moved the horses to a new facility with ample turnout that he he returned to his former movement, although he still has to stay on the aforementioned program of Adequan, Smartflex senior, and b-l pellets.

I would be hard pressed to keep any horse of mine in a very limited turnout situation...young or old.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by lcw579 View Post
                              Are you living in NW Philly? Around Chestnut Hill or Germantown? Much as I love being in Radnor Hunt Country you would be better off looking out in the Blue Bell area. It will be easier to get to for you.

Not sure what is going on with Fitz Dixon's old farm these days but maybe someone on here knows.

Isn't Rich Scarlett out that way too?
                              yeah, i'm looking for places in that area (to rent a room). it's very competitive, it seems! every room i've emailed about, there have been like 10 people trying for, and a lot of times people don't even email back. O_o thank you for the info about blue bell. i have never even heard of that town, i don't think, haha. i will google it.

Comment

DBR - you have a PM
                                "A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by a majority." Rick Warren

Comment

• Original Poster

moonwitch's place sounds wonderful but just too far googlemaps says it's at least 55 min away and that's not counting the lovely philly traffic

Comment

There's a stall available at the barn where I keep my horses. Zip code is 18074. TB training facility - nice place, nice people. PM if the distance is do-able for you.

Comment

• Original Poster

yeah, that's also too far thanks for the suggestion, though!

Comment

Have you looked in the Valley Forge area? Phoenixville? not that far from the city (traffic) if you go the "SureKill". .

I would think if your horse is only 2 mi away, you'd have more time to spend with her, ...riding, long walks that wouldnt leave her 20hrs in a stall.

Id rather spend horse time than travel time any day! Especially with all the amenities you mentioned -- indoor right?

Id try the city stable first and see how much time you actually do spend with your horse(and making lots of new friends to ride trails together). If you see you arent riding, then, yes, finding a pasture for her would be appropriate.
                                        IN GOD WE TRUST
                                        OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
                                        http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

Comment

Working...
                                        X