• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Oh where has the horse industry gone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh where has the horse industry gone?

In the past few weeks, I have been keeping an eye on a well known group that tries to sell horses that are in the holding pen (kill lot broker) from New Holland Auctions in PA. These holding pens are owned by specific horse meat dealers that allow certain groups to come in, photograph and video tape the horse under saddle, post specific info and a price (above what the holding pen sellers are asking so a profit can be made in lieu of shipping to Canada).

Now, I am only going to post some observations and I am not going to get into a debate about slaughter, etc. The following horses have been posted on this website in the past few weeks. Please note that when I say "sound" they appear to be in their video's and it these animals have not been seen by a vet etc...

American Warmblood, branded, sound under saddle, no obvious issues
    Oldenburg, branded, sound under saddle, no obvious issues
    Hannovarian, branded, ridden under saddle, a bit off at the trot
    Thoroughbred, gelding, 90+ starts, $140,000+ in winnings, walk, trot, canter under saddle, sound with papers
    Registered Morgan gelding, with papers, sound under saddle, would make great kids horses
    Registered Paint mare, amazing transitions, pushbutton, sound under saddle.
    Registered Quarterhorse, with papers, pushbutton, sound under saddle.
    Registered Hackney pony, with papers, rode and drove, sweet little pony, sound
    Registered Appaloosa, with papers, sound and sweet heart personality
    Registered Mini Mare with foal nursing at her side...need I say more.
    Reg. Andalusian Mare, with papers and a note from owner stating mare had won championships and had 4 foals and easy to breed. Mare was about 13 I think.

Are we, as horse owners, overbreeding or has the economy hit so hard that people are dumping their horses anywhere they can? I do know that every time I open a horse magazine, I am overwhelmed at the number of stallion ads to choose from. Please know, I am not anti-breeding, but I think to breed, you need to be responsible and know your market. If branded Hanovarian, Oldenburgs, and Andalusians are hitting the kill pens, what is next?
    Keep in mind...normal is just a dryer setting.~anonymous

the costs of keeping a horse has gotten beyond the capabilities of the average american. I know it has for me. When half of your money goes in your gas tank, and your house is worth half what you mortgaged it for, horses get dumped.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Comment

The short answer to your question, Mr./Ms. Wake, is "yes."

The economy sucks and there is a surplus of good horses around. There's also a surplus of skanks and poorly bred somethings that also drags down the market.

And the youngsters that in the past might be looking at riding are today playing video games (and that's not just the boys).

Hard times will be with us for a while.

G.
      Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

7 years ago I thought it was cheaper to buy than breed. I still think that.

By the time you pay a stud fee + the shipping + the handling fees + the vet fees, you have a minimum of $4-5k into a foal. And that doesn't count keeping the mare for a year.

I think more and more people are coming around to this way of thinking as well. Some are predicting that before too long there will be a lack of quality foals available and I just can't see that. But in the meantime, you are going to see even more horses go thorough the auctions.

Comment

Real unemployment is over 10% and salaries are hugely depressed for those who are still employed. People don't have the money.

Comment

Originally posted by vacation1 View Post
            Real unemployment is over 10% and salaries are hugely depressed for those who are still employed. People don't have the money.
            This.

Comment

You cant give horses away. Good ridable quality horses. To get rid of ahorse you cant sell what else do you do? Auction.

Barn gets calls weekly--kid going to college/grad school, need to stop board cost, free. No room no time no money.

Sad. Really.
              “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Comment

It's too bad really, because on the other side are people who are looking for horses. We just don't have a riderless horse/horseless rider clearing house of information.

Paula
                He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

There is also the crowd who will not `give` them away, even if they could.
                  "Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter, it gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark"

Comment

Originally posted by mroades View Post
                    the costs of keeping a horse has gotten beyond the capabilities of the average american. I know it has for me. When half of your money goes in your gas tank, and your house is worth half what you mortgaged it for, horses get dumped.
                    Too true. I reduced my herd by half, from six to three in Sept. (good homes, not auction) and my salary increased. I haven't bought anything extra and still can't put anything into savings. Got word this week that my truck needs a $3000 tranny job, so won't be hauling anywhere this summer. The horses will never be "dumped", but times are tough.

And I do think a lot of folks should stop breeding as well. Folks call us at least twice a month and ask us to take/find a home for their horse
                    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
                    Who have not found the peace in being free
                    to have a horse as a best friend."

Comment

And yet I can't find a decent advanced beginner safe, can jump a 2'6" jump once and a while, and go on trails horse for under $7000.00.

I am curious as to how OLD the horses in the list are. Is it that people are dumping old riding horses that they can't afford to retire and broodmares that no longer have a market?
                      Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

You may also want to take a look at Camelot Horse Weekly on FB. Lots of nice horses going through this NJ auction each week. The auction owner, Frank Carper, allows certain volunteers to post the information about the horses. This is not a rescue, of course, it's buying from a dealer, but there's no "rescue" middleman taking a cut. Since late 2009, none of the feedlot horses have gone to slaughter via Camelot. There's a lot of horses this week - going to be tough to find buyers for all of them.

Comment

This is so true.

CHT, the horses are all different ages. Not super old at all and yes, most are sound too.

With no money, people are forced to sell their nice horses through an auction. They simply can't afford to keep racking up monthly board and upkeep bills while trying to get a fair market price.
                          I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

Comment

""American Warmblood, branded, sound under saddle, no obvious issues
                            Oldenburg, branded, sound under saddle, no obvious issues
                            Hannovarian, branded, ridden under saddle, a bit off at the trot
                            Reg. Andalusian Mare, with papers and a note from owner stating mare had won championships and had 4 foals and easy to breed. Mare was about 13 I think.""

My opinion, which is not the popular one, is that these horse above are not your average backyard bred horses. These fancy farms who breed for fancy shows need to stop breeding too!!!!

Also, I have seen the mentality, I am finished with my pony, but because I am spoiled and my parents allow me to be, I will not allow anyone else to take said pony and use her.

Both of these make me sad.

Comment

Seeing all those registered/branded horses signals something deeper and longer in the horse industry that's catching up with Americans horse breeders and owners.

Breeding is a game of odds. You will produce many "misses" for every great, money making horse you produce. When the middle class could afford horses, there was a market to absorb the culls. Of course, people lost money on those all the way along. Someone paid to feed and train horses who would never earn what it had cost to produce them.

I think the market most recently has been "culled" as well. People who have the money, interest and dedication to riding competitively in some discipline chose a purpose-bred horse. Those who wanted an all-around nice horse to just ride and enjoy are understandably deciding that horse ownership in general doesn't work for them any more.

Of course, the "culls" of breeders producing registered horses here and in Europe have always been slaughtered. It seems to me that we just notice now because breeders are selling these horses to individual people who then make them rideable before also running out of money. If/when breeders deal directly with kill buyers, the whole thing happens under the radar.
                              The armchair saddler
                              Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

While I think there have been some breeders that weren't breeding responsibly, I think the economy has a great deal more to do with this right now, than anything else.

Comment

The economy has gone to crap and affording multiple horses (or even one horse) is a luxury and often one of the first things to be cut from expenses.

However...I've been shopping the auctions on and off for decades. Seeing all different breeds that are sound, not aged and registered isn't anything new. It's quite common, has been since the early 80s when I started going to the auctions on a regular basis.

Some are breeding culls...and not culled for reasons that would put many to most average buyers off. Some are shipped in from other areas from larger breeding operations because they get more that way. (yes, even at a few hundred dollars) Some are from big dealer trucks that go around the country picking up horses and bringing them from auction to auction until they sell, etc.

I've bought countless horses from auctions that were safe, sane and sound and registered. (and have had a few turkeys that were nutjobs, LOL. And a few that were fine once they were handled)

The only one I was surprised to see was the Andie mare. Those you just don't see often...even crossbreds.

My last two auction horses are outside right now scarfing down hay...waiting for the vet for annual vaccines/teeth. (well, they don't know about that second part hee hee) Both QHs...not what I was actually looking for but really nice horses. Both from the midwest, one from Crowleys and one from New Holland. Both safe, sane and sound. Both purchased young and registered. (5 and 7 when purchased) Either one I can put almost anyone on, both are pretty darned versatile.

If you can shop wit your head and not your heart and have a decent eye for horses...finding registered and nice young horses at auctions isn't hard to do.
                                  You jump in the saddle,
                                  Hold onto the bridle!
                                  Jump in the line!
                                  ...Belefonte

Comment

It's also long term demographics.

The market since the late 80s has been fueld by Baby Boomers remembering Rawhide, Black Beauty, etc. The children of the Boomers are fewer in number than they were and are less interested in horses. The grandchildren of Boomers are even fewer and less interested. And the Boomers are aging and finding out that taking that first, big step up in getting tougher.

So, yes, the economy and foolish breeding practices are major contributors to our present woes. But so is a changing population. I fear the "salad days" are gone for a very long time.

G.
                                    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

I must say, I was shocked to see so many seemingly high quality horses at the brokers lot. It's hard to believe the owners couldn't sell those warmbloods privately.

You know who really pulls at my heart though? That TB with 94 career starts.

His name is Jackety Jack, born in 2000. He last raced 4/30/11. If this were next year, he'd be coming home with me. Very impressed with that one and VERY depressed that I do not have a place for him.

It's so terribly sad and why I will keep my horses 'till the day they die. I don't want to wonder if they ended up where these poor souls are now.
                                      http://www.foxhuntingfriesian.blogspot.com
                                      http://www.isherwoodstudios.blogspot.com

Comment

That is what has happened with us. My office closed, so I am working less than 10 hours a week (and hunting hard for a job with more hours), and my dh had a forced transfer that cut our money to nearly half..Struggle? Oh yeah. Last night, I was offered a beautiful Paint filly that I would love to have. If we didn't have to pay board per horse, then she would be at my place this morning. However, the place we were renting was sold out from under us, and I am currently not in a position to take this filly. A lot of people are in the same boat. Last summer, I was offered a jam up AQHA filly for 200. This filly in a good market would have been sold for 4-5K, based on her bloodlines, the way she had been started and just all around wonderfulness (I know, not a word).

That is what has happened to the industry.
                                        http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Comment

Working...
                                        X