• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Do you wash saddle pads in your personal washing machine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always take a stiff brush to my saddle pads after I'm finished riding before I let them air-dry, so they're never that hairy when I wash them. And yes, I do throw them in the washing machine at home. I don't wash blankets because my local tack store offers laundry service and it's pretty cheap for $50/four turnouts including waterproofing them.

If there's ever hair left in the washer, I'll run a cycle without anything it it.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Comment

I vacuum my saddle pads before running them through the washer. Find it makes a world of difference in the winter and spring. Rest of year - not so many hair issues.

I do heavy blankets at the laundry mat - even though I have a HD super capacity washer, it's for residential use. I use the HD super capacity commercial washer at the mat - works like a charm. Bring a good book and some chocolate, and it's a relaxing hour away from house/farm/barn work.
      Originally posted by SmartAlex

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

Comment

I know that this is somewhat OT, but has anybody washed Back on Track saddle pads in the machine? I have a front loader with a zillion different cycles, and am wondering if it's safe to do. The underside of it has gotten pretty grungy!
        Dee
        Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
        Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
        http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Yes, but only when my husband isn't looking.

I do pre-rinse the yuckier stuff outside. Some stuff does need to go to the Laundromat. But there again there is sneaking involved.
          ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

While I do wash them at home if need be, I prefer to go to a laundromat, because I think they get cleaner in the old-skool lotsa water front loaders. In machines with the center agitator, I sometimes have to wash things a couple times for them to come clean.
            If we have to nail on talent, it's not talent.
            Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

Comment

I do wash saddle pads, horse boots, and fly masks in the home washer.

I wash pads after every use, so they are never too disgusting with hair. This does a lot to give you long life on pads because the abrasive dirt isn't allowed to build up for long.

I do wipe the inside of the washer afterward. DH might not be as tolerant of all the little grey hairs everywhere as I am.

I hang to dry out on our front walk's railing.

I do dog beds & towels at home, too.

For horse blankets, I call the blanket washing company. Very convenient, decent price, and won't wreck my top loader. The big western pads get pressure washed at the car wash, but I use a light blanket under those to keep them as clean as possible.
              ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Comment

My DH got me a separate "pony" washer and dryer. Saddle pads, blankets, breeches all go in there, but I also sometimes was workout clothes etc. in that machine. If very hairy, I will do an empty load with low water to clean out
                OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

related question

One of the previous posts mentioned taking then to the self-serve car wash and using the high powered spray of water to clean them.

This is an AWESOME idea and I am seriously tempted to try it.

One question, though, does anyone know if the water at those places is clean?

I mean, I know it looks clean (not that I'd drink it anytime soon), but my thoughts are, I'm sure for water conservation reasons, they probably re-use the water that goes down the drain when people wash their cars.

I'm sure this water is filtered to some extent, but is it filtered enough to be safe to wash saddle pads and/or blankets, clean enough that there wouldnt be any residual irritating soap in it? Or what about people that use metal cleaners and/or detergents to clean their tire rims?? That stuff goes down the drain too, and again, while i'm sure the water is filtered to some extent, is it filtered enough?

Anyone know abnout the inner workings of a self-serve car wash??? THANKS!
                  Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day, saying "I will try again tomorrow" -Mary Ann Radmacher

Wearing a helmet saved my eyesight

Comment

Once when I was a kid I brought my saddle pad home and washed it before a show. My mom FLIPPED over all the hair left in the washer! Never did it again after that... and haven't had my own washer since leaving home. Non-show stuff I usually do by hand (hose + detergent + drying in the sun). Gets the job done... show pads go in the laundramat to stay nice and white, but I brush off as much of the hair as I can before I put it in.
                    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

Comment

My washer has a "2nd rinse" button that I press, so when I wash my horse stuff, there is never any hair to wipe out.

Comment

Originally posted by OhMissLibrarian View Post
                        One of the previous posts mentioned taking then to the self-serve car wash and using the high powered spray of water to clean them.

This is an AWESOME idea and I am seriously tempted to try it.

One question, though, does anyone know if the water at those places is clean?

I mean, I know it looks clean (not that I'd drink it anytime soon), but my thoughts are, I'm sure for water conservation reasons, they probably re-use the water that goes down the drain when people wash their cars.

I'm sure this water is filtered to some extent, but is it filtered enough to be safe to wash saddle pads and/or blankets, clean enough that there wouldnt be any residual irritating soap in it? Or what about people that use metal cleaners and/or detergents to clean their tire rims?? That stuff goes down the drain too, and again, while i'm sure the water is filtered to some extent, is it filtered enough?

Anyone know abnout the inner workings of a self-serve car wash??? THANKS!
                        I think most car washes use "gray water" for the soaping water, but rinse water is clean-hasn't-been-used-in-the-car-wash-before water. I don't think one would use "car wash soapy water" on their horse blankets, regardless.
                        Last edited by pattnic; Jun. 2, 2011, 02:56 PM. Reason: Couldn't decide how to spell "grey"
                        If we have to nail on talent, it's not talent.
                        Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

Comment

Thanks Pattnic,
                          When I go, I'll make sure that I stick to the rinse water setting!! Still think it is a great idea!!
                          Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day, saying "I will try again tomorrow" -Mary Ann Radmacher

Wearing a helmet saved my eyesight

Comment

I voted "other" but I see lots of folks do what I do, which is wash and then rinse twice or follow with a load of stanky work clothes.
                            Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                            Incredible Invisible

Comment

I wash the saddle pads, dog beds, blankets and throw rugs (usually covered in dog hair, a little pee and who knows what else) in my regular washing machine. Hubby does not mind. I vacuum out the tub after it dries. Then I hang everything on the back fence to dry...

I thought everyone did that?????
                              We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fordtraktor View Post
                                Yes of course! What good is a washing machine if you don't use it to wash dirty stuff?

And horse dirt isn't really dirt, IMO. My husband disagrees but I just do the wash while he's at work. What he doesn't see doesn't hurt him. I don't lie about it but he doesn't ask, so all is happy.
                                Sounds like my house, but then from my point of view I think that a little bit of horse pooh and some hair is better than oil and diesel and other horrible smelling sticky stuff that DH and DS have all over their clothes after a day trying to fix the insides of a tractor.

Which reminds me, show this weekend, and the cat walked on my nice new pad, off to the barn and collect for washing
                                I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Comment

I don't blanket, but I wash saddle pads, coolers, and pretty much everything else I can (including bridles) in our front-loading washing machine. I'll generally do a quick wipe-down to get the largest portion of hair and things out of the washer, and then I'll do a load of barn clothes or something before I wash my underwear and nicer clothing. If there's any hair left, the lint trap in the dryer actually seems to do a pretty good job of collecting it off of the clothing once it makes it to that point. Most of the time I just hang my saddle pads to dry.
                                  "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
                                  -Edward Hoagland

Comment

I used to, but I just discovered that my barn has a washer I can use instead. Our washer and dryer do a good job on saddle pads (Tromm front loaders), and subsequent loads don't seem to be affected by any residual dirt, but I hate all the tiny hairs that end up in the lint catcher and all over the place afterward.
                                    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

Comment

I wash my All Purpose pads at home in my washer - because they are small. However, I take my western pads to the laundramat and use the large commercial sized washers. I am careful to wipe out any remaining horse hair from the washers - both at home and at the laundramat.

Comment

We have an Ariston all in one washer-dryer machine. I wash flymasks, saddlepads, wraps, tail guards, anything sheepskin, and boots in it. There’s never any hair left in the drum afterwards… maybe it’s because of the way the machine works?
                                        ----------------------------------------
                                        PSSM / EPSM and Shivers Forum
                                        http://pssm.xanthoria.com/
                                        ----------------------------------------

Comment

Yes....and my barn even has a washer lol. Its just easier because I feel bad leaving my wet stuff out to dry at the barn. If I will be around for a while at the barn (like farrier day) I may wash a load at the barn then, but otherwise I bring stuff home to wash. I have a Kenmore (I think) frontload washer. I wash pretty much anything in it (including my back on track pad, sheets and blankets, tail bags, polos...) the only things I don't wash in it are items I hand wash like my Mattes and fleece lined boots. Those I do in the bathtub (our sinks aren't big enough). And my husband doesn't seem to care thankfully...aside from maybe all the clothes I have that are perpetually stained from various barn activites- I think that bugs him a bit
                                          My blog:

RAWR

Comment

Working...
                                          X