• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Mineral Makeup- yes it's HR!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mineral Makeup- yes it's HR!

About the only time I wear makeup is when I'm in the show ring. I've always used the traditional liquid foundation, powder blush and just mascara 'cuz besides I've never really figured out how to apply eye shadow, I'm afraid it'll run.

Any thoughts on mineral makeup and how it takes the heat and sweat or showing in high temps and high humidity? There's some cheap starter sets on eBay I've been looking at.

Please, I don't want to hear that it's a horse show and women who wear make-up are harlots, etc., etc., etc. I show Saddlebreds, and it's part of a winning turnout just like proper fitting attire (kinda like hunter hair is appropriate for that division).

Originally posted by shakeytails View Post
    Please, I don't want to hear that it's a horse show and women who wear make-up are harlots, etc., etc., etc. I show Saddlebreds, and it's part of a winning turnout just like proper fitting attire.
    I don't have any makeup suggestions (I wear makeup during the week at work and when I go out, but I don't wear it on the weekends or at horse shows, and I wear regular foundation and powder) but I wanted to share my saddlebred makeup experience.

I was 14, maybe, and I had a friend who did saddlebreds. I had been learning how to drive her steady-eddie and she let me take him in a junior handler class at a saddlebred show. I wore a pretty sundress, borrowed a fancy hat from someone, and she slathered on the makeup. It was So. Much. Fun.

Quite different from my hunter background!
    Originally posted by tidy rabbit
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Comment

I've always found that I sweat the MM off, horses or no. I've tried the Bare Minerals and Shear Cover, I liked SC better ($30 @ Bed Bath & Beyond).

LBR
      I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Comment

I usually just wear a tinted moisturizer because I sweat so much. I end up reapplying sunscreen over it anyways as the days goes on. I just don't see the point in foundation as long as I'm sweating and wearing a helmet. If you're not going to sweat a ton, try using some powder to set and mattify your tinted moisturizer or foundation.

As far as eye shadow that won't budge, I use Makeup Forever's Aqua Creams, Benefit's Creaseless Cream eye shadows and Buxom's (which is made my Bareminerals) cream eye shadows. They literally do no fade or crease all day when I'm sweating at a show. I think cream eye shadows just work better for all-day wear.

As far as mascara, you could try a water-proof version. I like Tarte's Lights Camera Lashes or a lash stain works well too and lasts for a few days.

As you can tell, I'm obsessed with makeup and spend way too much money at Sephora.
        Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

Comment

Bare Minerals is the ONLY make-up that helps hide my red cheeks, even on hot/sweaty horse show days. My cheeks are usually bright red, no matter the weather, and I've tried a million different expensive brands, types, etc. I use Bare Minerals with a brush and really work it into my skin in a circular motion. I put it on right after washing my face and moisterizing, as the moisterizer helps draw the make-up into your skin, instead of sitting ontop. Bare Minerals also has sunscreen built in, which is nice, and it's one of the only make-ups that I don't sweat off... even on horse show days.

For what it's worth, I wear modest make-up for horse shows, too. I hate getting pictures and my horse looks lovely, but I look sleep deprived with red/puffy cheeks. I only use Bare Minerals powder, mascara, and white pencil on the inner corners/bottom lids of my eyes (brightens up your face a bit to avoid the 'I woke up at 3 AM to bathe' look). It makes a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by *Trinity* View Post
            Bare Minerals is the ONLY make-up that helps hide my red cheeks, even on hot/sweaty horse show days. My cheeks are usually bright red, no matter the weather, and I've tried a million different expensive brands, types, etc.
            I've never tried BM foundations, but I recently tried Clinique's Redness Solutions foundation which so far works. It's supposed to help treat the redness as well as cover it up. Using a green tinted primer is also supposed to help counter-act redness. I tend to always look red and burn easily. People are always telling me my face looks red, which gets annoying, that's why I like to have at least a tinted moisturizer on at a show.
            Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

Comment

I really like the Sheer Cover and Bare Minerals is kinda just 'meh' for me. Maybe see if you can get a smaller size to try and go out and get sweaty with it? I found it will come off if you sweat a fair bit but seems to look ok as long as you don't touch it. Waterproof mascara will help, I prefer Full N Soft, forget which maker it is, but it's a Wal-Mart/drugstore brand, nothin' fancy. Maybe Maybelline? And if your lips really need the color a lip stain instead of lipstick will work and won't run, then just run something glossy on top like chap stick.
              It's a small world -- unless you gotta walk home.

Comment

I love the mineral makeup from Youngblood. It stays put. Just make sure you have very well exfoliated and moisturized skin before you use mineral foundation, otherwise any flakines will be much more noticeable. I have gotten to the point where I can't stand liquid foundation. In the winter I love tinted moisturizer. You might have better luck with lip liner all over your lips and gloss on top than a lipstick, even the 8 hour kind
                Originally posted by The Saddle
                Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Comment

Originally posted by piaffeprincess98 View Post
                  As you can tell, I'm obsessed with makeup and spend way too much money at Sephora.
                  I'm not quite abscessed, but I also love Sephora.

I am quite pleased with the BareMinerals Mineral Veil and the BM Matte Powder. I do NOT like their primer though and prefer to use either Smashbox or Murad's Oil Mattifier. And I use Murad's moisturizer as well, along with a hint of tinted moisturizer. Works well for me, as I don't need a lot for cover-up.

Problem is that I tend to sweat most of it off before the end of the day, but you can't really tell anyways. I guess that's the joys of having fair skin and wearing little makeup. So, it works well for me and I could (and have) reapply as needed.

I'm definitely not the one to ask about with regards to eye shadow, mascara or the like. I'm otherwise very plain-Jane when it comes to makeup and hair. If I could get away with pony tails every day, I would. Unfortunately I can't.
                  Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
                  See G2's blog
                  Photos

Comment

I've been using the BM products for a few years now and love them. However, it does come off fairly easily and all you have to do is wipe your face once and it's gone. Forget trying to re-apply it if you are hot and sweaty, it won't work.

Be careful taking shirts on and off because it will rub off and add color to your nice white show shirt.

I've tried some of the knock-offs or wannabes and the quality isn't there.

If you don't sweat much and don't rub your face, the BM products will last for a while which should make you feel good about having show pictures taken!
                    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
                    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
                    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

Another vote for Sephora
                      I have been using the COSMEDICINE "Honest Face" for years.
                      It is basically a tinted moisturizer (but really has all the good qualities of liquid make-up) with an SPF 20.
                      Holds up really well in heat and humidity and is very non-irritating even for sensitive skin.
                      For touch-ups and everyday I love MAYBELLINE Instant Age Rewind Protector Finishing Powder. Available in every drugstore (my guess is, also cheaper than BM?) and it also has an SPF of 25
                      Also agreed on the waterproof mascara....
                      If the pony looks pretty, rider should be looking pretty, too
                      Classical Horsemanship

Comment

For every day I like Loreals Mineral Powder Foundation. Good coverage and cheap to try.

To make eyeshadow stick, I use Eyes Lips Face eyeshadow primer. Love it! Really does make your eyeshadow stay put all day. And its $1.00

Comment

Originally posted by piaffeprincess98 View Post
                          I usually just wear a tinted moisturizer because I sweat so much. I end up reapplying sunscreen over it anyways as the days goes on. I just don't see the point in foundation as long as I'm sweating and wearing a helmet. If you're not going to sweat a ton, try using some powder to set and mattify your tinted moisturizer or foundation.

As far as eye shadow that won't budge, I use Makeup Forever's Aqua Creams, Benefit's Creaseless Cream eye shadows and Buxom's (which is made my Bareminerals) cream eye shadows. They literally do no fade or crease all day when I'm sweating at a show. I think cream eye shadows just work better for all-day wear.

As far as mascara, you could try a water-proof version. I like Tarte's Lights Camera Lashes or a lash stain works well too and lasts for a few days.

ME TOO!!!!!

I really like Urban Decay eye shadow, it really stays on. I have gone swimming all day before and it didn't even fade. I could wear it for 3 days and not need to touch up. I know that's not good for my skin.

I use Mineral Wear (from Walmart) it's a lot cheaper but not as high of quality, but it does stay on even through sweat.

I used to hate the fact that Sephora was an hour and half away, but now that there is one 20 min from me, I wish it weren't so close lol.

Comment

I am a Mary Kay consultant and I do a lot of makeup for riders including myself I always suggest some sort of powder foundation for horse shows - if you need more coverage, use a liquid or tinted moisturizer as a base. Use a pressed powder or mineral powder on top to help "set" the foundation. Powder helps absorb sweat/oil. MK carries an eye primer you can use on your eyes to prevent creasing and to help eye makeup stay - other brands have a similar product as well and this stuff is critical if you are showing in heat!!! Water proof mascara is the way to go. The other product I swear by for the fairer skinned riders is bronzer - it helps offset the green shade some of turn when we are nervous and brings color to the face. I apply it to the cheeks, bridge of nose, and forehead (where you would tan if you were out in the sun).

Comment

Originally posted by spacytracy View Post
                              For every day I like Loreals Mineral Powder Foundation. Good coverage and cheap to try.

To make eyeshadow stick, I use Eyes Lips Face eyeshadow primer. Love it! Really does make your eyeshadow stay put all day. And its $1.00
                              L'Oreal just changed the name of their mineral line to True Match Naturale; it's good and really cheap compared to going to $ephora. And I am completely, totally addicted to their True Match pressed powder in a compact, which is non-mineral but never causes me to break out. I don't ride without it, or my eyelash curler — which is from $ephora, because some things just can't be bought at the drug store.

BTW, I ju$t got back from $ephora...
                              "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

Comment

Maybe try a Setting Spray. It bonds with the outer layer of make-up and makes it pretty sweatproof. My friend does theater make-up and this is a staple in her make-up kit. If you've ever been under those bright stage lights with pounds of stage make-up smeared onto your face, you know how much you sweat.
                                Here is a link:

http://www.paintandpowderstore.com/p...?prod=PPS-0021
                                The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Comment

Physicians Formula Mineral Powder....works great alone or with liquid foundation.

And only about 14.00.

Comment

I use Bare Minerals all the time. Tried Sheer Cover too and like Bare Minerals better. I don't usually use BM eyeshadow but I find their foundation and blush stay on my face through a LOT of heat, sweat, and humidity--i.e. while riding outside on a hot humid day, on a cruise in the Caribbean, and day to day in the absolute greenhouse of a cockpit my airplane has! Used to use traditional liquid foundation over top of Clinique's SPF30 tinted moisturizer, but my skin has slowly switched from drier to oily, and it was melting off my face. I tried the L'Oreal version of mineral makeup a few years ago and didn't like it--it was greasier somehow, but they may have changed the formula since then.
                                    If it gets really hot and you need to blot your face, try blotting papers. If you press them straight down and don't rub they shouldn't take off too much of the foundation. Now, if there is sweat dripping off your nose, that's another thing entirely...

Comment

I like Pur Minerals. I am not a fan of BM. I find it really really itchy.
                                      www.facebook.com/doggonegoodgoodies
                                      http://doggonebakedgoods.com/

Comment

For some reason, all mineral foundations have caused some bad skin reactions (breakouts, itchy, red) for me. It's worth a try, but you may want to do a test patch first as it seems quite a few people have bad reactions.

For eyeshadow, a primer can really help it stick and prevent it from creasing or running. Too Faced makes one called Too Faced Shadow Insurance which is really good and will last a very long time. (However, if you go awhile in between uses, you may need to roll or knead the tube first.) Urban Decay also has "Primer Potion" but the bottle prevents you from getting to use all of the product unless you cut it open.
                                        I love Urban Decay eyeshadows, but test them on your hand first if you can because some are very glittery. MAC, Smashbox, and Too Faced also have decent eyeshadows. If you're looking for something cheaper in the eyeshadow area, you could try Wet n Wild which is usually available at Walgreens.

Comment

Working...
                                        X