• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

A "cowboy whoa"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was once in a WP class, loping happily along. The announcer said, "Stop, stop your horses."

The little Appy mare hit the brakes so hard I came out of the saddle almost betwixt her ears. It was about the 2nd or 3rd time I'd ridden her. First time in a class. No one mentioned the 'stop' thing till after the class. Then the owner said he'd forgotten to tell me. She didn't do that verbal stop outside the arena. Smart little cookie! BTW, we placed 2nd against 30+ horses. The judge didn't see my abrupt stop.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

You've gotten good ideas on the training...just wanted to share two quick funnies.

1) I grew up riding Western. My mare was initially trained Western and had the "cowboy whoa" you speak of....closer to a sliding stop if you actually SAID whoa. We now go primarily English. Anyway, when I first half leased her out, I told the gal (an English rider) who was very vocal to be careful when she asked for a whoa because the horse would drop her hind end and whoa NOW.

Well, no sooner had I mentioned this than she got into a canter and wanted to slow it down and instead of "easy" or some such, she said "WHOA!" and dang near became a lawn dart! LOL

2) Had a kid out riding same mare. I was on another horse. Kid took off at a canter heading back towards the barn. She got nervous and kept leaning further and further forward causing the horse to go faster and faster--all the while I'm yelling "Sit up! Sit up!"

Finally, in fear that she was going to get decapitated going under a tree or into the barn I just yelled "Cheyenne! WHOA!" And boom. Whoa. Kid was basically dangling like a monkey around the horse's neck and just dropped to the ground with a thud. Crisis averted. But I was sure happy for a good whoa that day!

As far as how to teach, to be honest, it wasn't something I exactly set out to do. But a lot of the work that we DID do involved whoa, rollbacks, departs, whoa, rollbacks, departs. And of course backing.
      A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Originally posted by Seriously_Hunter View Post
        I
        As a kid, we got a new mare into the lesson barn I rode at. I was the first to ride her and while in my lesson, one of the other students told her horse to whoa, well...the mare I was on WHOA'd and off I came! I flew up over her head and she stood there looking at me like I had 4 heads! "What are you doing down there? You asked me to stop!?" The previous owners didn't mention her amazing response to whoa!
        Similar experience here but I didn't come off, but my horse did it once or twice when I was riding during lessons, mostly if the rider or instructor had a similar way of saying Whoa as I did. It didn't take long until the instructors would say to their students "stop your horse" and that 3 seconds gave me enough time to apply leg to keep my horse from stopping when the student said Whoa to the horse they were riding.
        There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
          I have one who has the 'body language' who down cold, but doesn't seem to understand the verbal when on the lunge or in the round pen. There are times I wonder if he's actually deaf, except for the way he'll spook at a sudden noise.

So how do you install the instant Whoa when they're 20 feet away from you on the lunge line? Most of the time he'll stop if I jump in front of him an yell, but he just seems to get into this 'zone' where he's going around oblivious of the person standing in the center of the circle until you literally have to shout at him.
          Are you carrying a lunge whip? If yes, then what I do is this, tug the line, say whoa, if the horse does not stop, move your body postion angled more towards the horses shoulder than the hip (so that you are not inadvertently driving the horse with your body position), switch the whip to the hand closest to the horses chest, tug, whoa and then hold up the whip up in front of the horse about chest level. It basically becomes an extension of your arm and creates a barrier.
          There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Trevelyan96 View Post

So how do you install the instant Whoa when they're 20 feet away from you on the lunge line? .
            free lunging first and they "get" that stopping and standing still gets a nummie (anti treat people look away now)

it's just timing and reward for me

Tamara
            Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
            I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

I always said I wanted to do reining and I'm getting closer. If I ever train one, I'll teach it to stop from an "eerrrrr!" sound...Like the sound a car makes when you slam the brakes on.

I'm easily amused.

NJR
              Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Comment

The ones I own and start do it. Its just consistency.

Dan had almost deadly brakes, did you ever say whoa! Like you meant it when you were moving at speed?
                "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                ---
                The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                  To a western trained horse, a whoa means back up.
                  The whoa is not really a static exercise in itself unless you want it to be.
                  You use your legs to control the backup into a stop.
                  You may want to try that.

Most western horses if you just move a tick your legs forward and out, the mere hint of it is enough, they will stop and start backing if you then not quickly close your legs around their middle to keep them there.

Nothing like sitting there talking to someone and, feeling stiff, forgetfully stretch your legs in the stirrups and your horse obediently starts to back up on you.
                  Guess who was not paying attention.
                  That is not an evasion, it is what the rider asked for.
                  You may want to consider your horse is not evading by backing, but doing what you are asking.

You can try what works best, once you learn to find whatever buttons may have been installed.
                  OMG this is it exactly. I have gotten some of these results just by messing around/on accident. Thank you! This is just the kind of insight I was looking for.

And EqT.... Dan had superb brakes. Then again, everything about him was superb. Not a day goes by that I don't miss that horse.....
                  We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

a good whoa isn't all the tough to train, and doesn't require harsh measures. I usually start by teaching whoa on the lunge line, and then longlining. when I say whoa, I mean whoa.
                    If they move. sidle around, etc, I move them back to exactly where they were standing, and repeat whoa. (It's not hard, it's simply the same as teaching a dog to sit - dog moves.. what do you do? ask em again and make em sit in the same place they were )

U/S usually isn't a big issue, since it's pretty installed by the time I get em to the riding stage. Older horses who I restart - I begin but teaching them, to stand still while u/s. couple minutes here and there during whatever else we are doing, whether it be in the ring or outside. when training for a 'WHOA', I exagerate my aids alot (back and leg- never the face.. I hate the head tossing ugly 'whoa' that habit develops) when they stop, they get praise and guess what.. get to stand still..

stand still means not working - enough repetition combining that as a reward for a good whoa.. - you got cowboy brakes.. never fails. - and this is coming from a person who installs cowboy whoa, and ground tying on endurance arabians.
                    Originally posted by ExJumper
                    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Comment

No harsh methods needed.
                      Everytime you want your horse to stop, relax, breathe out, say WHOA, and gently pull reins back. They will get it in no time. Do not utter the word WHOA unless you intend to stop, and and reward by releasing pressure IMMEDIATELY each and every time.
                      Can be done with a rope halter, snaffle bit, or 5 inch shanked bit.
                      Key items...release pressure as soon as their brain and feet have stopped thinking and moving forward. Reward. Repeat. Be CONSISTENT.
                      http://www.minuspride.blogspot.com

Comment

establish a verbal whoa on slack on the ground, first. if you can't jog that horse in hand and whoa them on a word; don't expect it up top.

exhale slowly and completely
                        still your lower back/tighten your core
                        sit deep/turn your butt to puddin'
                        relax the thighs and take the legs ever so slightly off the horse
                        think whoa
                        say whoa
                        pause
                        pick your hand up to tell him to whoa in the face.

Stand around and rest. IF they get happy feet they get quietly and unemotionally put to work: sidepassing, tight tiny circles, something to move those feet where asked and how and Whoa.

Preceed the above with enough hard work that whoa sounds like a darn good idea.

Don't say it when you don't mean it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                          Most western horses if you just move a tick your legs forward and out, the mere hint of it is enough, they will stop and start backing if you then not quickly close your legs around their middle to keep them there.

Nothing like sitting there talking to someone and, feeling stiff, forgetfully stretch your legs in the stirrups and your horse obediently starts to back up on you.
                          Guess who was not paying attention.
                          That is not an evasion, it is what the rider asked for.
                          You may want to consider your horse is not evading by backing, but doing what you are asking.

You can try what works best, once you learn to find whatever buttons may have been installed.
                          I'm going to try this! Houdini was a western horse before I got him. I thought it odd that he doesn't seem to know how to back up.

But I've been asking by closing both legs and not giving with my hands. As I understand your description, I'm asking him to stay put by doing this? Houdini is figuring out I want him to back up, but he's hesitant - as though he's saying "You're sure this is what you want me to do?"

So you push your feet forward to ask the horse to back up?
                          I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

Originally posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
                            I'm going to try this! Houdini was a western horse before I got him. I thought it odd that he doesn't seem to know how to back up.

But I've been asking by closing both legs and not giving with my hands. As I understand your description, I'm asking him to stay put by doing this? Houdini is figuring out I want him to back up, but he's hesitant - as though he's saying "You're sure this is what you want me to do?"

Don't know how your horse was trained, but many basic western training today ask the horse to stop when you push your feet up a bit, then you close your legs to keep the horse there, or make them active to ask the horse to go from stopping to backing all as one.

You have to watch that the young horses don't anticipate that stops are basically taught with backing, that they learn you can stop their motion at any time, but in general, the stops mean coil up and be ready to move and backing reinforces that, always alert not to overdo it.

Here is one video you can watch how she does it, clear to see as she doesn't even has a bridle to help her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZIYM...eature=related

You just have to try different ways to find what your horse knows and then adapt it to what you want.

Comment

It does depend on how the horse was trained, mine will back with no rein pressure (full drape) if I just sit deeper, slighly shift my weight back, and move my legs forward and squeeze. It's not so much your feet, but your leg position on their body that is the button to push.

For example, if I want a turn on the haunches to the right (where the front is moving to the right around a stationary rear), I put my right leg slightly back (to hold the hip) and put my left leg forward, and bump with the left leg. If I want a turn on the forehand to the right (so the hips are moving to the right around the stationary forehand), I put my left leg back, right leg forward, and bump with the left leg.

Comment

What a nice video - a pleasure to watch.

Thanks Bluey and MM - I'll try experimenting and see if I come across a cue Houdini recognizes.
                                I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

I'
                                  yes you can

Tamara
                                  Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                                  I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

Working...
                                  X